Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Grim Up North posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10474/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1060-july-19

E: reviews to coincide with retail availability, FE an actual limited edition, custom cards available at the same time!?

If the wording here turns out to be true, it seems like the "ay gently caress off" message to FE was received. They are simply going back to how it used to be, basically, except keeping the premium. But I doubt we'll be seeing many reference 1060's in the wild as opposed to the other two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10474/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1060-july-19

E: reviews to coincide with retail availability, FE an actual limited edition, custom cards available at the same time!?

this sounds like a card that's 10% better than the 480 and costs 10% more...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This slide is new:

That's a significantly faster rollout than I expected, after it took 2 years for Maxwell's VR features to get used by anything.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wicka posted:

this sounds like a card that's 10% better than the 480 and costs 10% more...

yeah at least its not worse, which is what everybody thought, me included. add likely AIB OC and it won't be a dumb card (probably)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-cost-249-299-usd

GTX 1060 6GB MSRP - $249
GTX 1060 6GB Founders - $299

Both Founders launching on the 19th, no mention of the 3GB version. I guess they realised it was dumb and scrapped it.

Good riddance to the 3GB, and besides the early bird tax, the pricing looks exceeding dangerous for AMD. Since they are already dealing with the negative PR of the reference RX480, definitely losing the perf/watt battle with Pascal, and 1060 is also faster stock vs stock...they are more or less completely hosed once the 1060 AIB versions price approaches MSRP like the 1070 AIBs are doing now. (Let's not also pretend RX480 AIB is going to stay at $240 either.)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

repiv posted:

This slide is new:

That's a significantly faster rollout than I expected, after it took 2 years for Maxwell's VR features to get used by anything.

VR was in a very different place for Maxwell. Everyone in the VR space had too much work to do to get around to letting NVIDIA techs integrate all sorts of special sauce into their engines.

The feature itself is invasive (in that it has to be coded in and can't just be something the driver injects) but it's largely isolated, so rollout should be pretty quick for any projects where the developers are still actively touching the codebase.

Are there any sites that do VR-specific benchmarks? I have a feeling that's going to be a really tricky space, since a high-but-consistent framerate is really what end-users want, so the variation is in what quality level you can run at and achieve that (rather than just measuring what framerate you can get at Ultra settings). That's going to be inherently less benchmarkable -- or at least harder to boil down to a set of vaguely representative numbers.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

repiv posted:

This slide is new:

Man I can't wait to die on Everest, just like in real life

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Palladium posted:

Good riddance to the 3GB, and besides the early bird tax, the pricing looks exceeding dangerous for AMD. Since they are already dealing with the negative PR of the reference RX480, definitely losing the perf/watt battle with Pascal, and 1060 is also faster stock vs stock...they are more or less completely hosed once the 1060 AIB versions price approaches MSRP like the 1070 AIBs are doing now.

Also other Pascal chips seem to overclock fairly well, wheras the 480...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hubis posted:

Are there any sites that do VR-specific benchmarks? I have a feeling that's going to be a really tricky space, since a high-but-consistent framerate is really what end-users want, so the variation is in what quality level you can run at and achieve that (rather than just measuring what framerate you can get at Ultra settings). That's going to be inherently less benchmarkable -- or at least harder to boil down to a set of vaguely representative numbers.

Futuremark are working on some kind of solution to this: https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/vrmark

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hubis posted:

Respectable sites already bench on multiple resolutions and settings, so they could just do the same and highlight the ones that are solidly over 90, and the ones that are infrequently below 90 and can be saved by ATW.

I don't know of VR games that have a demo/bench loop, but I'm sure the exist or are coming.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm assuming that Quake port still has a demo loop, but that might not be what you are looking for, heh.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

Good riddance to the 3GB, and besides the early bird tax, the pricing looks exceeding dangerous for AMD. Since they are already dealing with the negative PR of the reference RX480, definitely losing the perf/watt battle with Pascal, and 1060 is also faster stock vs stock...they are more or less completely hosed once the 1060 AIB versions price approaches MSRP like the 1070 AIBs are doing now. (Let's not also pretend RX480 AIB is going to stay at $240 either.)

Is there any room for 460 / 470 / 480 prices to fall from MSRP anyway? Is the whole product stack going to collapse into somewhere ~$150 like they've had happen before?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there any room for 460 / 470 / 480 prices to fall from MSRP anyway? Is the whole product stack going to collapse into somewhere ~$150 like they've had happen before?

The only thing left for AMD to do is to pray for 1060 availability to be poo poo, because they won't have any market or margin left if they don't.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Welp, guess im doing this guys custom build with a 1060 instead of a 480

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

:allears:

If the 1060 meets their promised performance targets (and no reason to think it won't with the 1070 being exactly as powerful as promised) and there's actually some availability at launch, I'll get one.

e: TURD

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 7, 2016

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Bardeh posted:

:allears:

If the 1060 meets their promised performance targets (and no reason to think it won't with the 1070 being exactly as powerful as promised) and there's actually some availability at launch, I'll get one.

e: TURD

Man, I just checked r/AMD and it's pretty much gone full r/AyyMD after the announcement. They aren't pleased with the GTX 1060 announcement.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
As ever, it's "wait and see what the 3rd party cards are like" for me to choose between the 480 and 1060. Given it'll be replacing my 560, the 1060 seems like its spiritual successor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Palladium posted:

The only thing left for AMD to do is to pray for 1060 availability to be poo poo, because they won't have any market or margin left if they don't.

AMD probably needs 1060 availability to be poor, AIB 1060s to miss that MSRP target by quite a lot, while 480 AIBs are cheaper than expected and overclock better then expected. or they can cut prices by a lot. assuming the PCI-E problems are fixed, the 480 and 1060 seem like equally good values, but simply matching nvidia does AMD no good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I was concerned id have to buy an AMD card but thankfully nvidia has come through.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I hate waiting for benchmarks. And waiting to see what sort of performance hit the 480 takes once they figure out the power draw issue.

The 1060 certainly is a huge improvement over the 960.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Man, I just checked r/AMD and it's pretty much gone full r/AyyMD after the announcement. They aren't pleased with the GTX 1060 announcement.

After the RX480 launch: "Perf/W doesn't matter, only perf/price matters!"

After the 1060 launch: "There is actually no 1060 at MSRP! There are only 1060s AIBs priced more or less the same as RX480 AIBs, Nvidia is a lying piece of poo poo!"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don Lapre posted:

I was concerned id have to buy an AMD card but thankfully nvidia has come through.

Wow. Why do I have to be stuck in a GPU market with you.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I hate waiting for benchmarks. And waiting to see what sort of performance hit the 480 takes once they figure out the power draw issue.

The 1060 certainly is a huge improvement over the 960.

no idea where he heard it from but a friend said AMD released a beta driver yesterday with "3% performance increase" and less power draw

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The 960 was so bad, but this look like a card more akin to the 760 luckily. I'd be really surprised if there's availability issues given the smaller chip and longer amount of time to pile up supplies.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I thought the 480 fix wasn't a performance throttle, they were just going to overdraw the PSU instead of the PCIe slot, almost as if they weren't completely insane to start with.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://videocardz.com/61942/nvidia-pascal-gp106-and-gtx-1060-pcb-pictured-up-close

The 1060s reference PCB has footprints for a full 8GB of VRAM. GP106 might actually have a 256-bit bus then, just not fully utilized on the 1060.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wicka posted:

AMD probably needs 1060 availability to be poor, AIB 1060s to miss that MSRP target by quite a lot, while 480 AIBs are cheaper than expected and overclock better then expected. or they can cut prices by a lot. assuming the PCI-E problems are fixed, the 480 and 1060 seem like equally good values, but simply matching nvidia does AMD no good.

I doubt all those stars will align, if the rumors of AIBs being displeased with margins on the 480 I expect AIB 480s to be a good step up in price from the reference version. The 480 has been shown to have power problems and very marginal OCing so I expect the 1060 to be better there, AIB 1060 prices are still up in the air but I expect the decent ones to be $20-$40 over MSRP just like the 1070. All of that with the cloud of the PCIe bus power issue hanging over everything and I expect this won't go well for AMD. :(

wicka posted:

no idea where he heard it from but a friend said AMD released a beta driver yesterday with "3% performance increase" and less power draw

Yeah, the thing is that it has a toggle(set to off by default) that limits PCIe bus power at the cost of some performance, it also has optimizations that increase performance in some games by ~3%. I'm hoping the loss in performance from limiting power is negligible but I think that setting ought to be on by default, every random Joe posting about his mobo keeling over after getting a 480 is going to be attributed to this, having the power limit in place by default would at least make it clear that they turned on the higher power mode at their own risk.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gwaihir posted:

I thought the 480 fix wasn't a performance throttle, they were just going to overdraw the PSU instead of the PCIe slot, almost as if they weren't completely insane to start with.

I think I read that AMD have actually given 2 options to fix the card, one to overdraw the PSU and the other is to downthrottle the card to draw less power but for a hit in performance. Neither option will be enabled by default though, so if you know nothing about the issue you could still fry your motherboard.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just release all the cards to appease demand and increase the availability already ugh. Also mark down the 390/980s thanks

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wicka posted:

Hardocp: https://hardforum.com/threads/official-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-announcement-h.1904330/

quote:

NVIDIA did also tell us that the GTX 1060 would have broader availability than 1080/1070 did at launch. "1060 supply will be ramped up very fast."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wicka posted:

I dunno, I'm excited to be able to recommend all my casual friends pick up $125 RX 470s in 3 months. To replace a variety of things from 5750s, GTX 560s, 8800GTs, and integrated graphics!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Wow. Why do I have to be stuck in a GPU market with you.

I secretly buy amd cards with my mad scalping profits and burn them in a pit

Palladium posted:

After the RX480 launch: "Perf/W doesn't matter, only perf/price matters!"

After the 1060 launch: "There is actually no 1060 at MSRP! There are only 1060s AIBs priced more or less the same as RX480 AIBs, Nvidia is a lying piece of poo poo!"

It is true though, we won't see a 1060 at MSRP and it is bs. However... if its even close its going to be very competitive.

And lets all try to keep in mind, if the 1060 is "only" 10% better than a 480, the 480 is "only" as good as a reference 970, lets say a realistic 1060 costs $270... a 970 was $330 lol. Basically, if you stick to extremes, you are buying a slightly cheaper AIB 970 2 years after it was released! But it only seems good because of how the 480 ended up performing. That's about as pessimistic as I can manage :v:

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 7, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I doubt all those stars will align, if the rumors of AIBs being displeased with margins on the 480 I expect AIB 480s to be a good step up in price from the reference version. The 480 has been shown to have power problems and very marginal OCing so I expect the 1060 to be better there, AIB 1060 prices are still up in the air but I expect the decent ones to be $20-$40 over MSRP just like the 1070. All of that with the cloud of the PCIe bus power issue hanging over everything and I expect this won't go well for AMD. :(

it seems like the 480 and 1060 are going to be effectively equal at the end of the day, the latter being very slightly better but for a very slightly larger amount of money, and again, competing with nvidia head to head is not what AMD needs. they sold the 480 like it was a mid-range revolution and nvidia quietly achieved the same drat thing.

Twerk from Home posted:

I dunno, I'm excited to be able to recommend all my casual friends pick up $125 RX 470s in 3 months. To replace a variety of things from 5750s, GTX 560s, 8800GTs, and integrated graphics!

yeah they should hurry up and get the 470 out because i highly doubt nvidia will have anything in that price bracket

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So it seems like with the 1060 announcement and lack of non-reference 480s, the wisdom now is even more in favor of waiting unless you're looking for a 1070 or 1080. Guess we all will know more around August.

wicka posted:

it seems like the 480 and 1060 are going to be effectively equal at the end of the day, the latter being very slightly better but for a very slightly larger amount of money, and again, competing with nvidia head to head is not what AMD needs. they sold the 480 like it was a mid-range revolution and nvidia quietly achieved the same drat thing.

If they're equal wouldn't the 480 be better because Freesync is free while G-sync is an extra $100-$200 on a monitor? Seems like with the lock-in effect of the -sync implementations you're better off going AMD if everything else is equal to save some of that cash on a monitor purchase.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 7, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Im looking to side-grade from my gtx 970, so I'm excited for actual benchmarks for both (with aftermarket coolers please :argh:)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
480s don't overclock for poo poo though, while there's no reason to believe that the 1060 won't OC just as well as the 70/80. So that maybe 10% stock for stock difference widens up by a lot, most likely.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If all you needed was a product with a lower TCO NV would be out of business.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

480s don't overclock for poo poo though, while there's no reason to believe that the 1060 won't OC just as well as the 70/80. So that maybe 10% stock for stock difference widens up by a lot, most likely.

Is an overclock really going to generate that much extra performance without switching to a custom cooler though? I was under the impression that all an overclock on stock cooling will get you is maybe an extra frame or three per second, which only really matters if you're sitting right near 60 or 30 fps.

It'd be interesting to see a full write-up of a non-reference 480 vs a non-reference 1060 with and without a 24/7 stable overclock. Seems like this generation there's real decisions to be made in the $175-$250 market.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They just narrowly avoided the 1060 from being a 960. I still won't buy it because I can just dip into the used market for something 30% better but 250-265 from AIBs is an okay price.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

repiv posted:

http://videocardz.com/61942/nvidia-pascal-gp106-and-gtx-1060-pcb-pictured-up-close

The 1060s reference PCB has footprints for a full 8GB of VRAM. GP106 might actually have a 256-bit bus then, just not fully utilized on the 1060.

I was actually wondering when Nvidia might do this - compared to previous gen cards the 1060 has a 192-bit bus versus the old 128-bit GDDR5 on the 960 and previous. The slightly wider bus, newer process, and better clocks ought to make a 1060 a pretty drat good deal in the low to mid market. I saw that AMD released a new driver for the power issues on the R4x0 series with the 6-pin and PCI-E draw but the fact that they had a flub like that out of the gate doesn't bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looking at the specs on paper, would a 1060 be a good/better side-grade to a 970 than an RX 480?