Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nephzinho posted:

What is the cooldown time on hitting up a pokestop again?

couple of minutes

some blue goober took the gym near my work and left a level CP30 pidgey to defend it, so i'm going to go rain on his parade during lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rafza posted:

couple of minutes

some blue goober took the gym near my work and left a level CP30 pidgey to defend it, so i'm going to go rain on his parade during lunch

... I can literally walk around the block forever then. There are like 8 pokestops and the first one resets by the time I get there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So when you leave a pokemon to defend a gym, does that mean you are basically getting rid of it from your inventory permanently?

Also, when you click on the nearby pokemon button, what do the little pawprints signify? Some of them have two pawprints and some have three.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drone posted:

So when you leave a pokemon to defend a gym, does that mean you are basically getting rid of it from your inventory permanently?

Also, when you click on the nearby pokemon button, what do the little pawprints signify? Some of them have two pawprints and some have three.

When you leave a pokemon at a gym, it only returns to your party when someone from another team beats it.

Supposedly, fewer pawprints = closer but I haven't had much luck with the nearby feature, myself.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

When you assign pokemon to a gym they stay in your inventory but have a little marker to signify they're unusable. You can't select them (they're hidden from the list) to battle other gyms, assign to other gyms, use items on (I think). When the gym gets taken over they get reduced to 1hp and are usable again.

The pawprints indicate how far away the pokemon is from your current position, each pawprint is roughly equivalent to 50 metres.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Drone posted:

I've read the amount of paw prints signifies how close you are actually are to them, not sure how true that is though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Pakled posted:

If you turn the game's battery saver mode on in the settings, it makes it so the screen turns black when you hold your phone upside down and that way it's a good deal less of a battery hog. So you can leave your phone on upside down in your pocket and know when a pokemon appears from the vibration.

Pakled posted:

If you turn the game's battery saver mode on in the settings, it makes it so the screen turns black when you hold your phone upside down and that way it's a good deal less of a battery hog. So you can leave your phone on upside down in your pocket and know when a pokemon appears from the vibration.
Oh is that what it does? Sweet, thanks, should help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nephzinho posted:

... I can literally walk around the block forever then. There are like 8 pokestops and the first one resets by the time I get there.

There are 0 pokestops near me. This is bullshit.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

What is the cooldown time on hitting up a pokestop again?

5 mins. per loot spin.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
So I am new to Pokemon stuff but trying this out.

I have a Pidgey, CP 27 with Tackle and Twister, and a Pidgey, CP 42 with Tackle and Air Cutter. Does it matter what attacks they have? or should I just level the higher CP of the 2?

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Zaphod42 posted:

There are 0 pokestops near me. This is bullshit.

I live in rural GA and luckily there is 1 about a 2 minuet walk away (At a church). My dogs need extra walks anyway.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I keep doing the spinning pokeball throws but I rarely get the bonus XP for it.

Do you have to nail it dead on for the extra bonus?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pros of constantly appearing Pokemon: I can play at work or home without having to wander around town hunting for portals like in Ingress.

Cons of constantly appearing Pokemon: I got ambushed by a Rattata while pooping.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kid posted:

So I am new to Pokemon stuff but trying this out.

I have a Pidgey, CP 27 with Tackle and Twister, and a Pidgey, CP 42 with Tackle and Air Cutter. Does it matter what attacks they have? or should I just level the higher CP of the 2?

Level the higher CP one; when you evolve it, the bonuses will be better. Turn the weaker one into a candy by 'transfer"ing it

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There was a Growlithe on my desk. I am okay with this.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's cool the building I work in is two pokestops, one for the building and another for the monument inside

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's daytime, why are there still so many zubats around here

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
I wish there were pokemon that constantly spawned near me. Closest leaf shower is probably 500m away. And there are no gyms or shops anywhere near my work.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
So is this like a soft launch/last minute beta? I went into Settings and I noticed the bottom right says 0.29.0. Seems like a Version number something... maybe a better tutorial will be added at 1.0.0?

pooch516 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 7, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

m.hache posted:

So I keep doing the spinning pokeball throws but I rarely get the bonus XP for it.

Do you have to nail it dead on for the extra bonus?

I got a Nice bonus XP for hitting the toilet Rattata dead-on with the ball.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pakled posted:

It's daytime, why are there still so many zubats around here

I caught a Zubat as I was heading into the underground train tunnel today on my way to work. Make your own jokes. :v:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i have 3 pokestops on our corporate campus, about which i'm sure our security will be thrilled if/when randos start trying to wander in to them.

we also have a gym across the street, control of which seems to have changed upwards of 10 times in the past two hours. i suspect that my infrastructure team, who is closest to it, is at war.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got a "Nice!" bonus for holding the pokeball for a moment and watching the target ring shrink. It was a CP 79 Venomouth that I caught on my first throw. 100 extra XP for that one. Apparently you can curve your throws too?

Not sure what the optimal range for the ring is to be at when you release your throw?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyrosiris posted:

I caught a Zubat as I was heading into the underground train tunnel today on my way to work. Make your own jokes. :v:

Im surprised so many people are catching Zubats, you'd think the average goon's body odor would function as a natural Repel.

Or

From what I know of Goons most live in caves anyway so I'm surprised I'm not only seeing Zubats.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Caught a Gloom underneath a highway overpass. Fitting.

Also fitting that the corporate campus has a bunch of Drowzees.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've left this thing on, on my desk, for several hours with no hits. Going to have to go trekking after work I guess.

At least it WORKS today!

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So I live in a house with a metal roof, and GPS is constantly "Finding Location". That means I can't catch anything inside right?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this thing at all. Last night two buddies and I were at one of their houses when we started the game, all popped an incense, and wandered around his house and yard. One of them got like eight Pokes before it wore off. The rest of us got 0 and 1 respectively.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

drgnwr1 posted:

I wish there were pokemon that constantly spawned near me. Closest leaf shower is probably 500m away. And there are no gyms or shops anywhere near my work.

Same. If I want to visit a pokestop or a gym I'm going to have to travel an hour to south of the city. This is complete horseshit. I live in Austin, Texas, its a state capital. There should be poo poo everywhere.

Also my phone is down to 30% battery just from trying to log into the servers a few times this morning, not even playing the game. Its unbelievable how fast it drains battery.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this thing at all. Last night two buddies and I were at one of their houses when we started the game, all popped an incense, and wandered around his house and yard. One of them got like eight Pokes before it wore off. The rest of us got 0 and 1 respectively.

I think the servers are just COMPLETELY hosed and that's loving everything up. They need to run out and buy some new servers yesterday.

You'd think a bunch of ex-google engineers would be better prepared. The launch day was a complete loving disaster, no communication from the company at all.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
The battles aren't turn-based which seems kinda hosed up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I caught a Tauros at the entrance to my subdivision, and the area seems to have a lot of Venonats and Doduos. My house is actually a spawn point, but this morning it was just a horde of stupid purple rats..

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

The battles aren't turn-based which seems kinda hosed up.

If you had to wait on the other player it'd take forever. But they should have AI control the other player's pokemon and then let you battle.

I guess Nintendo didn't want it to compete with their core Pokemon games, which they have a new one coming out soon. But its real sad that they didn't go all the way. This could be so great if they'd just add a *little* more to it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just wasted all my pokeballs on a Zubat. It escaped four times and otherwise my throws just went everywhere but to what would hit it. Thirty balls gone.

How do I properly throw a ball?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So my house is a PokeSpot. Thanks, Greek restaurant on the ground floor!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Zaphod42 posted:

If you had to wait on the other player it'd take forever. But they should have AI control the other player's pokemon and then let you battle.

I guess Nintendo didn't want it to compete with their core Pokemon games, which they have a new one coming out soon. But its real sad that they didn't go all the way. This could be so great if they'd just add a *little* more to it.

Wait on the other player? But there's nobody actually controlling the Gym when you challenge it. I sat there for like a minute thinking "drat when is it gonna be my turn?"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wonder if there's going to be any competition for the gym in my office's back lot.

It's being really finicky about triggering encounters on the leaf spots. My GPS location seems right, but stuff isn't spawning at them when I walk over.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just wasted all my pokeballs on a Zubat. It escaped four times and otherwise my throws just went everywhere but to what would hit it. Thirty balls gone.

The ball needs to actually collide with the pokemon so don't just throw them all wacky. Also the smaller the inner circle the better your capture chance.

You just have to experiment with figuring out the right way to toss them. Different speeds of flicks with your finger will make a difference. It's not just a binary thing.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It's hard if you're getting frame lag. Turn off AR if that's an issue.

Timing is important too. I think you're aiming for when the moving circle and the big white circle are the same size, that's the sweet spot.

e: oh it's when it's smaller? This poo poo would be nice to know.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

My job being a pokestop is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Go RV! posted:

It's hard if you're getting frame lag. Turn off AR if that's an issue.

Timing is important too. I think you're aiming for when the moving circle and the big white circle are the same size, that's the sweet spot.

Other way around. You're aiming for when the moving circle is as small as possible.

• Locked thread