Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SentinelXS posted:

A password stealing trojan came in, on a VP's machine. Adobe Reader was crashing on his machine, and supposedly this was after downloading an email attachment sent by "the IRS". I saw that Endpoint Protection had removed a virus already, and we have a Group Policy that blocks executables from auto-running in the temp directory.

VP: When I opened the attachment, I got a popup that said it was blocked by Group Policy. So I copied it to my documents and opened it again, but nothing happened!

Me: :negative:

Me: Your passwords were probably stolen. Happy 4th of July!

Don't forget to put in writing somewhere that they deliberately went around your policies in place to keep that from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MJP posted:

Edit: boss gave the go-ahead to test and -whatif bulk removal options, which worked like a charm. The offending item no longer exists in anyone's mailboxes, no matter the folder. Sometimes the good guys win.

I'd love to see the code for that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A stolen laptop came in!

How do you guys handle stolen equipment? Our laptops aren't encrypted (nothing on them, just used to access web services) so I'm not super worried about things but it'd still be nice to have something that would let me hit 'FORMAT' when this happens. We have Meraki Systems Manager but it doesn't really have any sort of proper full-system wipe capability.

Alternatively, any ideas for quickly trashing a Windows install via the command line without prompts? We have a backup line on all our machines we can issue single commands through so as long as it doesn't have any prompts or popups, I can run it. I was thinking of rd /s /q c:\windows. No Powershell capability, sadly.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 6, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

A stolen laptop came in!

How do you guys handle stolen equipment? Our laptops aren't encrypted (nothing on them, just used to access web services) so I'm not super worried about things but it'd still be nice to have something that would let me hit 'FORMAT' when this happens. We have Meraki Systems Manager but it doesn't really have any sort of proper full-system wipe capability.

Alternatively, any ideas for quickly trashing a Windows install via the command line without prompts? We have a backup line on all our machines we can issue single commands through so as long as it doesn't have any prompts or popups, I can run it. I was thinking of rd /s /q c:\windows. No Powershell capability, sadly.
Just reimage it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sheep posted:

A stolen laptop came in!

You're relying on the device thief not pawning it off to someone smart enough pull the drive contents before flattening it themselves, unless you're looking for BIOS hooks.

If anything sensitive could potentially end up somewhere on it, enable full disk encryption and be done with it. If not, there's not a lot you can do, so don't worry about it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was thinking about something that when it pops online would wipe the drive but realized that if you're dumb enough to steal a laptop (not to mention leave the charger behind) you're probably not smart enough to get into the machine without reinstalling windows and so wouldn't really have a chance to get it online to get wiped anyways.

Full disk encryption would be the ideal solution but the management overhead there makes it an unattractive option when, again, there's nothing of note on our machines. They're effectively disposable units used solely to access resources online and don't have anything stored locally.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

I'd love to see the code for that.

Sure thing. It's a multi-step process. All done within the Exchange shell.

Step 1: grant your admin account fullaccess perms to all mailboxes in your affected OU (the OU part is optional) and/or server.
code:
get-mailbox -organizationalunit "domain.com/ouname" -server servername1 | add-mailboxpermission -user adminaccount -accessrights fullaccess 
Step 2 (optional but useful): produce a report showing where the message lies on each user's mailbox, and its status (read/unread/etc). and other useful info.
A: create a folder named Deletemsgs or anything you want in your mailbox
B: run this:
code:
get-mailbox -organizationalunit "domain.com/ouname" -server servername1 | search-mailbox -searchquery 'Subject:"FW:Incriminatingsubjecttextstring"' -targetmailbox yourusername -targetfolder Deletemsgs -logonly -loglevel full
##(note that you can use any other operator for -searchquery here, subject and body are the big ones but YMMV) 
Step 3: get rid of the offending messages! This takes a few minutes after completion for the changes to reflect in users' mailboxes. This can take -whatif if you're cautious.
code:
get-mailbox -organizationalunit "domain.com/ouname" -server servername1 | search-mailbox -searchquery 'Subject:"FW:Incriminatingsubjecttextstring"' -deletecontent -confirm:$false
May you never have a need to run this, but if you do, this did the trick for me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MJP posted:

Sure thing. It's a multi-step process. All done within the Exchange shell.

Step 1: grant your admin account fullaccess perms to all mailboxes in your affected OU (the OU part is optional) and/or server.
code:
get-mailbox -organizationalunit "domain.com/ouname" -server servername1 | add-mailboxpermission -user adminaccount -accessrights fullaccess 

When you're on Exchange 2010 or later, you should probably use RBAC instead of mass-assigning individual permissions like this.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298183(v=exchg.141).aspx

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

nielsm posted:

When you're on Exchange 2010 or later, you should probably use RBAC instead of mass-assigning individual permissions like this.

Keep in mind that it's exactly the same command line -user really means user, role group or security group

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sheep posted:

I was thinking about something that when it pops online would wipe the drive but realized that if you're dumb enough to steal a laptop (not to mention leave the charger behind) you're probably not smart enough to get into the machine without reinstalling windows and so wouldn't really have a chance to get it online to get wiped anyways.

Full disk encryption would be the ideal solution but the management overhead there makes it an unattractive option when, again, there's nothing of note on our machines. They're effectively disposable units used solely to access resources online and don't have anything stored locally.

Any reason you're not using Chromebooks then?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I bet it's because the web apps only support Internet Explorer (probably 8).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gilok posted:

Don't be silly. It'll be Explorer 6, and a specific version of it that fails if Explorer's even one patch off.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gilok posted:

:smith:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Does someone want to offer a Goonbro a quick hand? Trying to do a batch to launch three apps. I am doing what all the documentation says to do, but it doesn't work.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Samizdata posted:

Does someone want to offer a Goonbro a quick hand? Trying to do a batch to launch three apps. I am doing what all the documentation says to do, but it doesn't work.
I opened three apps just now and didn't have any problem, you must be doing something wrong.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I opened three apps just now and didn't have any problem, you must be doing something wrong.

Do I need to open a ticket? :downs:

Here's the batch -

CD "C:\Users\migra\AppData\Local\Franz\"
START "Update.exe --processStart Franz.exe"
CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"
START firefox.exe
CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mailbird\"
START "Mailbird.exe"

The OS is Win 10 Pro x64. All I get are three console windows and no programs. The filenames and paths are taken directly from the shortcuts. These are the three programs I open most commonly for my online day. I just thought one shortcut to make them all load at once would be lovely, and I see zero reason why it should not work. You big dogs all seem so hot at scripting, I thought maybe someone might be able to help.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Do I need to open a ticket? :downs:

Here's the batch -

I have a batch with similar purpose. What I do is run the START command on the shortcuts, rather than the actual programs. Like this:

code:
start "..." "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Active Directory Users and Computers.lnk"
start "..." "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Outlook 2013.lnk"
The initial "..." is required since the first argument the START command gets in quotes always gets used as title for the console window. So if I need to quote the path to the program, I have to add a dummy title parameter first.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

I have a batch with similar purpose. What I do is run the START command on the shortcuts, rather than the actual programs. Like this:

code:
start "..." "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Active Directory Users and Computers.lnk"
start "..." "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Outlook 2013.lnk"
The initial "..." is required since the first argument the START command gets in quotes always gets used as title for the console window. So if I need to quote the path to the program, I have to add a dummy title parameter first.

Interesting. I will give it a shot tomorrow then. Cheers!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The A/C in our server room went tits up last night. Maintenance got it blowing cold air again, and my employee called an audible and left the door open all night with a box fan blowing in there.

I get in this morning to alarms and ozone.

:suicide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

The A/C in our server room went tits up last night. Maintenance got it blowing cold air again, and my employee called an audible and left the door open all night with a box fan blowing in there.

wait... it was working and THEN he left the door open?
That sounds like the last straw to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What's the ozone from?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Box fans are inadequate to the task.

I bought one of these for a datacenter cooling problem when we learned only one of three chillers was on a generator circuit. Moves a ton of air.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

:stare:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mmmmm ozone

I bet its from some electrical thing just trying to churn away but nothing being on the other side to use it.

Static eletricity discharge also creates ozone (I think).

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The good news is this was enough leverage to move forward with monitoring on everything. I'm sick of finding out shits busted when it's too late.

What's the verdict on monitoring dashboards I can feed into a bigass television in my office? My network consultant suggested Dashing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

The good news is this was enough leverage to move forward with monitoring on everything. I'm sick of finding out shits busted when it's too late.

What's the verdict on monitoring dashboards I can feed into a bigass television in my office? My network consultant suggested Dashing.

My last boss made us build some crazy loving spiderweb of Nagios, Zenoss, and other poo poo.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any links to a good guide for installing Citrix XenApp 7.9? Or any 7.x version will probably work.

I am building a new XenApp server to replace our old XenApp 4.5 server. I am putting it on a newer (to us) HP server. I already have XenServer installed but all the new XenApp stuff is way different that our current setup.

Current setup is:
Web interface for login. Receiver on client machines.
XenApp 4.5 on VM on XenServer 5.5
XenCenter 5.6 SP2
License Server 11.6.1

Web interface and licensing are on 2 separate servers (not sure why as I did not set it up) and then the XenApp is on a Server 2003 VM inside XenServer.

We are not serving up desktops, just applications (Outlook, Acrobat and a couple apps for mortgage related stuff).

I am not upgrading the current stuff as we are wanting to move it to the newer/faster server hardware and also are upgrading the underlying VM to Windows Server 2012 R2 instead of Windows Server 2003 that it is currently on. The mortgage apps are upgrading to versions that require .Net 4.5.2 which wont install on Server 2003.

I have been trying to read stuff but I am not sure I need everything that Citrix seems to be telling me. Their support people barely speak English and just want to give me the documentation site.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

I use Solarwinds and Datadog. I like Datadog. It's cheap and pretty.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

If you have 100 things you want to monitor (things being Harddrive space, up time, ping, and this is by server so a server could easily use 4-5, while a switch might use 0-3 depending on what you want) you can use PRTG for free. It's super simple to setup. It does get pricey if you want to monitor more though.

You don't need a ton of control, you don't have a guy dedicated to it. Use whatever is easy to setup easy to modify and easy to understand.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh god it's Midelne's boss all over again. Anyone got that photo of his server room with the desk fan helping out? Where has Midelne gone? Did he get out of IT?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2834226&pagenumber=1224&perpage=40#post413450688

seadweller fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 7, 2016

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

pixaal posted:

If you have 100 things you want to monitor (things being Harddrive space, up time, ping, and this is by server so a server could easily use 4-5, while a switch might use 0-3 depending on what you want) you can use PRTG for free. It's super simple to setup. It does get pricey if you want to monitor more though.

You don't need a ton of control, you don't have a guy dedicated to it. Use whatever is easy to setup easy to modify and easy to understand.

Yeah PRTG is very user friendly and intuitive

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

code:

Worked fine. Thanks again!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah PRTG is very user friendly and intuitive

Throwing another hat at PRTG. It's very slick and looks nice. Do heed the price warning if you need to monitor more than the free version allows though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
PRTG is good and the only issues I've had are purely user error.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

There's a ton of companies in this space now, many using some similar tools under the covers but with varying degrees of polish; look at the sponsor/vendor list for the Monitorama conference, look at their offerings, and see if any grab you. Datadog is nice, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, and at least their engineering team seemed competent when I went drinking with them. You basically install an agent on each box you care about that sends your data on up to their cloudy cloud, and then you can set alerting based on that. Step 1 is, of course, to know what every server you manage is supposed to be doing, which from my understanding of your posts may be a fun ride.

Part of it is how much you're willing to do yourself vs farm out; for you, with a staff of 1.5, you'll want one of the fuller-service solutions. If you had a bigger team and budget, I'm a huge fan of icinga for service and host alerts and graphite/grafana/collectd as a stack for metrics from the software we write, but the difference in cost in time and hardware to get that going is a different calculus for you than me.

A few years ago id have told everyone "set up your own monitoring stack" but nowadays unless it's your line of business, other companies do it better.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I'm a branch office with rights delegated only to my office's OU. I don't think I even have rights to create role groups, just manage mailboxes.

I was following a Technet article that specified this, so I'm sure however one goes about assigning perms should be fine. All you need is rights to the mailbox sufficient to delete.

Back to content. An email from our central IT office came in...

quote:

All,

At this time we are experiencing an issue with our primary corporate storage environment that seems to be affecting a large number of corporate resources. In an effort to minimize any potential issues, we have begun to shut down resources and make them unavailable. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide a complete list of the affected systems at this time. We are working through the issues now and will provide an update as it is available.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to provide a quick resolution.

Thank you,
Computer Support

:smith: for my homies at HQ. Good luck, comrades. Glad it ain't me.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any links to a good guide for installing Citrix XenApp 7.9? Or any 7.x version will probably work.

I am building a new XenApp server to replace our old XenApp 4.5 server. I am putting it on a newer (to us) HP server. I already have XenServer installed but all the new XenApp stuff is way different that our current setup.

Current setup is:
Web interface for login. Receiver on client machines.
XenApp 4.5 on VM on XenServer 5.5
XenCenter 5.6 SP2
License Server 11.6.1

Web interface and licensing are on 2 separate servers (not sure why as I did not set it up) and then the XenApp is on a Server 2003 VM inside XenServer.

We are not serving up desktops, just applications (Outlook, Acrobat and a couple apps for mortgage related stuff).

I am not upgrading the current stuff as we are wanting to move it to the newer/faster server hardware and also are upgrading the underlying VM to Windows Server 2012 R2 instead of Windows Server 2003 that it is currently on. The mortgage apps are upgrading to versions that require .Net 4.5.2 which wont install on Server 2003.

I have been trying to read stuff but I am not sure I need everything that Citrix seems to be telling me. Their support people barely speak English and just want to give me the documentation site.

I have found this dude to be pretty helpful:

http://www.carlstalhood.com/

Also, this is a 2 hour long video that is from Citrix that does a complete basic set up live as a demo. It is helpful to watch to get a general idea of the steps involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-XEsniMu8

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

larchesdanrew posted:

Why is it that you stated your employee and not ex-empolyee?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Wiggly posted:

I have found this dude to be pretty helpful:

http://www.carlstalhood.com/

Also, this is a 2 hour long video that is from Citrix that does a complete basic set up live as a demo. It is helpful to watch to get a general idea of the steps involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-XEsniMu8

Thanks. I have read a few of the carlstalhood stuff. I also found a virtulizationadmin.com walk through that has been pretty helpful.

I think my biggest issue is that I am having to change so much going from an old version to new and also changing hardware. I just found out I also need to move the Licensing Server to a new machine because it is currently on server 2003 and the new version doesn't support anything under 2008.

I really want to get the new stuff setup and tested while the old is still working as people work on it everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Our new Cisco Hyperflex is up and running, everything is peachy, we're all happy! Oh, wait, what's this?
EVENT : Unable to apply DRS resource settings on Host 1

Hm, fine, OK, non-critical so we'll just wait for this to clear itself out. VMWare KB says it's transient.

Senior admin: Oh I've seen this before, restart the management agents on the host.
Me: Are you sure? It's transient, we could just wait it out and monitor what happens
(in this time he can't open a kvm console to the host because he doesn't know how, so he walks over to the rack kvm. he can't figure out the password to the host so he stands for 10 minutes jamming away at passwords, during which time I open the KVM console from my PC, look up the password, and enter it for him. He can't find the setting for management agent restart so I have to show him).
Me: Again maybe we should wait thi-
senior : do it.

Management Agents stopping. Helpdesk rings. Rings again. Rings yet again. Now there's 5 calls. Our primary mission critical software is down. Mission critical connections to our vendor is down. Everything is hosed.

Finally, after the stupidest 5 minute mission critical outage I've ever experienced, everything comes back up. Except the mount points on those virtual machines are still hosed and require manual intervention to fix. We still have no idea what caused the outage or how much has been impacted.

And what does Senior Admin do? "Oh I'm late for lunch. (fucks off out of the building)"

It's the most CE thing I've ever seen him do and it's equally :magical: and :stonklol:

• Locked thread