Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

My job being a pokestop is fantastic.

Yeah, there's two pokestops within range of my office building/from my desk, and three gyms within a few blocks. Might go 'mon hunting during lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

There's three pokespots within reach of my desk at work here. This is gonna be good.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just wasted all my pokeballs on a Zubat. It escaped four times and otherwise my throws just went everywhere but to what would hit it. Thirty balls gone.

How do I properly throw a ball?

Zubats have been the trickiest one for me. The other flying ones have been on the ground for me.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i wish they'd open up suggestions for pokestops so i could be part of the gym/pokestop-at-work cool kids club

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So my son and I started trying this this morning. I had trouble on the opening one because I'm a dope who forgot to turn on my location. Then we wandered around a few and found a weedle...only for the servers to crash mid catch. Ah well, maybe later

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chill Penguin posted:

Wait on the other player? But there's nobody actually controlling the Gym when you challenge it. I sat there for like a minute thinking "drat when is it gonna be my turn?"

... if it was a proper turn based pokemon battle like you suggested in your last post. I don't get this response at all. Did you just not understand what I was saying?

Read my post again or something.

No, nobody controls gyms. That's the very point I was making.

Go RV! posted:

There's three pokespots within reach of my desk at work here. This is gonna be good.

gently caress all you guys with your constant pokestops :suicide: There's not a single one in a 20 mile radius of my work or my house.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Are there servers having issues? I had to reboot the app 3-4 times now to catch the pokemon. It would get stuck in that phase where you just see your dude walking around but can't zoom in or move the map or click anything on the screen. Iphone 6 and I had 3 LTE bars on AT&T.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so are you supposed to just walk around and stare at your phone like a zombie or something

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Holyshoot posted:

Are there servers having issues? I had to reboot the app 3-4 times now to catch the pokemon. It would get stuck in that phase where you just see your dude walking around but can't zoom in or move the map or click anything on the screen. Iphone 6 and I had 3 LTE bars on AT&T.

Yes lol, the servers are loving hosed as I've posted in this thread several times already. The game was unplayable on iOS yesterday. On Android it seems better, YMMV.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Data is out on my phone so WiFi only here, which sucks cause there's like 3 gyms and a dozen spots just down the street from me. I did find a parasect at the end of my first incense though. Looking forward to wrecking gyms with him soon. Also, to you get potions and stuff from gyms or what?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you have a fainted Pokemon do you have to use a revive or will they eventually get up on their own?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I work on campus so my entire day I'm surrounded by poke stops. All the gyms are just out of range tho

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, sorta. You can abuse gps drift like in Ingress. It's pretty cool and good.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Abu Dave posted:

so are you supposed to just walk around and stare at your phone like a zombie or something

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Abu Dave posted:

Isn't this what most people already do?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

drat, lot of people from Ohio in here. Rural Ohio is rough times, didn't even manage to get level five after my two-hour bike ride. My battery lasted the whole trip though, which is pretty good considering I basically had to have it in my hand the whole time so I could figure out where the hell the rustling grass was. I essentially had to base my trip around where I could actually see Pokemon to catch, ended up getting sixteen total but most of them were Pidgeys and Ratatas. I did manage to find five gyms all near each other, most of them would be easy to topple except for one guy who managed to snag a Pidgeot.

It was fun though. I did a couple one-handed drive-by catches, hatched an egg (as long as you don't go too fast bikes seem fine), and saw a little kid out catching Pokemon with their mom. We all laughed and waved at each other and it was precious :colbert:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i live in rural nh and theres no pokemon within like 2 miles lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This seems really shallow so far, but I hope it can develop into something more. With better support for rural areas and some thought to a more Pokemon-like battle system it could be great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I came across a Pidgey with a CP of 59. I already have one that's a CP of 10. Is it worth it to evolve/level up the higher CP one or transferring the higher CP one? I read somewhere in this thread I think that higher CP transfers net you more stuff? Or something???

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Since people are apparently playing this game, I'm going to assume servers are regional, because I'm in LA and the servers have barely functioned here since launch. Even now they're down.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Friend Gyarados is simply telling this man to please be more careful, because he is about to walk off the pier.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I work at a university and there are pokestops loving everywhere, and four gyms visible from where I am.

This is going to be great.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

This seems really shallow so far, but I hope it can develop into something more. With better support for rural areas and some thought to a more Pokemon-like battle system it could be great.

Yeah, I agree with that. It also seems pretty arbitrary what shows up and what areas are "hotspots", at least in my suburban area. I have a friend who's pulled a bunch of rare Pokemon and so many Eevee that he's evolved two already, and I'm struggling to keep up, even though I went for a walk down the trail at the nearby park this morning on safari.

I claimed the gym at a local dog park. If you want the Bark Badge, you're gonna have to fight me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. It also seems pretty arbitrary what shows up and what areas are "hotspots", at least in my suburban area. I have a friend who's pulled a bunch of rare Pokemon and so many Eevee that he's evolved two already, and I'm struggling to keep up, even though I went for a walk down the trail at the nearby park this morning on safari.

I claimed the gym at a local dog park. If you want the Bark Badge, you're gonna have to fight me.
If they're smart, they'll put in enough content that you can enjoy the game without having to play constantly to stay competitive in your area. I just want to wander around and catch Pokemon.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The only free gym near me is the mormon church at the end of my block, specifically the historic liberty jail. So...once I hit level 5 I'll be defending the Prison Badge I guess?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Not so rural central VT here and there's loving nothing

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm 27 and all I want to do is chase around virtual Pokemon.

Release in Canada already :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So should I be hoarding stardust? I have a few pokemon that might be a good target for it, but I feel like I'm better off just waiting until I hit a higher level and catch something naturally stronger when the levels are longer and just dump it then - or does the stardust required to power up increase with CP?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Things seemed like they were going okay, so I decided to try to restart the app. Now I can't authenticate with my Pokemon Trainer Club ID. Nintendo! :argh:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Things seemed like they were going okay, so I decided to try to restart the app. Now I can't authenticate with my Pokemon Trainer Club ID. Nintendo! :argh:

i read that they were having issues with their servers last night, google works just fine.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I picked my Google account over my Pokemon account after remembering the Pokemon Bank fiasco.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, going with PTC wasn't very bright, in hindsight.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nephzinho posted:

So should I be hoarding stardust? I have a few pokemon that might be a good target for it, but I feel like I'm better off just waiting until I hit a higher level and catch something naturally stronger when the levels are longer and just dump it then - or does the stardust required to power up increase with CP?

this is my plan tbh unless i need to beef up gym mons

funny thing happened just now, walked to the gym about 4 minutes away from work with that lowlevel pidgey and proceeded to blow it up. had 200 rating left, and when i tried to land the final blow my game crashed and the servers went down. so i sat there for a few minutes trying to get it up so i could take the gym and move on; during this time, a car came up, pulled up beside me, and inside was a guy that looked similar to the profile pic he had on GO.

dude saw the servers were down, smiled, threw me a thumbs up, and drove away

this game is already magical

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dehry posted:

I picked my Google account over my Pokemon account after remembering the Pokemon Bank fiasco.

Google's kinda annoying too though, I have a super long password to try to improve my gmail security and entering it over and over and over gets really old. It doesn't save your password but it probably should.

Servers are so hosed I'm just going to have to put this game down for a week or something and then come back and see where it is. I lost both my incense to the servers going down.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm not sure what's preventing people from claiming the 3 gyms between my work and the Mall (about 2 miles) but the Mall has changed hands a dozen times at least while I'm sitting at work. Hopefully the servers come back up and I can get to level 5 and snag a gym in 5 hours.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Last night managed to use the tracker to track down and catch a Venusaur. I had to wander around a bit, but doing that was the highlight so far. :kimchi:

If any members of the vastly superior team YELLOW INSTINCT in the Northern Virginia area want to team up and knock over some gyms, hit me up.

(I haven't seen a single yellow gym that isn't mine yet. :( )

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
There's a blue gym thing (I guess?) and when I get to it, my game freezes up. Then when I tried restarting the game wouldn't sign me in. I was on break so I couldn't faff about in the middle of a parking lot forever. Decided to just close it. This game seems very broken. Social media is blowing up about how great it is but I haven't even been able to find a single Pokemon after running around for 3 miles. :shrug:

Git gud I guess?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Someone stole my gym, the jerks! After removing them, the game did not let me put in the pokemon I had just used to train. Do the pokemon need to have full hp to be placed in a gym?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

For people that can't find pokemon, I think its the servers being terrible. I caught 1 first thing in the morning sitting at my desk, another 4 an hour later. Nothing in the last 3 hours since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I catch nothing but evees, rats, and bats, and i catch them constantly B)

• Locked thread