Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Achenar and other unique systems are one of my biggest disappointments with the game. Sol is pretty cool, but everywhere else is just a handful of named planets with stations like 'steve hub' and 'malcolm orbital'. Cmon tell me a story fdev, show me that this is the shining capital of an empire. At least add a reason to go to the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's a problem I also had with FFE - just how lazy the storytelling part is. It's hard to find a system with a descripion, not to mention unique/handcrafted qualities. The X series, even with it's horribly corny story, does a much better job.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If there was a quick way to submit them I'dd try writing so many little system blurbs about the last stand of whatever rebellion or the local megacorp or weird sightings around the sixth planet or whatever. People loved those in Mass Effect :shobon:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Strategic Tea posted:

If there was a quick way to submit them I'dd try writing so many little system blurbs about the last stand of whatever rebellion or the local megacorp or weird sightings around the sixth planet or whatever. People loved those in Mass Effect :shobon:

Same. Or let people name systems and planets. It's weird that there's terraformed worlds out there named HIP 28573782828 A 2

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We need "Rimmerworld" once we get habitable planetary landings.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

DancingShade posted:

We need "Rimmerworld" once we get habitable planetary landings.

This guy gets it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
They are very slowly moving in that direction by having some non-rare commodities only be available in particular regions, which does make the Bubble more differentiated, but I would agree that more flavour would be great.

On the other hand, most of the 'flavour' they added for the homes of player groups reads like a Jonny's First SciFi story. Check out blurb for whatever A Different Kind's home system is.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Strategic Tea posted:

I too would happily contribute blurbs about system history, etc. I find it really weird that there's so little lore or backstory or anything.

One thing I really like about this game though is the sheer beauty of some of the places to visit. I was landing on one of the engineer's bases, and it straddled a canyon on this moon,'s night side landing pads on both sides of the canyon with bridges spanning it, a tall tower and some surface structures, the gas giant in the background with the milky way framing that. The factory base on the desolate moon was done so well; it was filled with such sci-fi goodness. I enjoyed taking my sweet time landing, going under the bridges in the canyon, looking at the tiny details like flashing warning strobes, etc.

Do people interdict you over materials? Last night I kept getting interdicted in my A-spec Vulture with nothing in my tiny size one cargo hold. It made me think, "Sure, I'll submit. Hold on while I deploy some hardpoints for you." :getin:

The icourier is a beautiful little yacht, but an A-spec Vulture is a beast. Here's my fit:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2patfFaladksff30u7k0004030lB234270025.Iw19kA==.CwBhGYCYWhGXL3BUIg==?bn=Good%20Doot

The KWS doesn't work because there's not enough power. I want to replace it, but don't know with what yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Aethernet posted:

They are very slowly moving in that direction by having some non-rare commodities only be available in particular regions, which does make the Bubble more differentiated, but I would agree that more flavour would be great.

On the other hand, most of the 'flavour' they added for the homes of player groups reads like a Jonny's First SciFi story. Check out blurb for whatever A Different Kind's home system is.

If the Dangerous games are any indication, player-made factions or systems would be extremely cringe-inducing. I still can't think of the names of some of the proposed faction leaders without wincing.

Some of the best writing advice I ever received was "if you're writing a story about killing a dragon, don't name your protagonist 'Destiny McKilldragon'". It's shocking how many people don't get that memo.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

MoraleHazard posted:

I too would happily contribute blurbs about system history, etc. I find it really weird that there's so little lore or backstory or anything.

One thing I really like about this game though is the sheer beauty of some of the places to visit. I was landing on one of the engineer's bases, and it straddled a canyon on this moon,'s night side landing pads on both sides of the canyon with bridges spanning it, a tall tower and some surface structures, the gas giant in the background with the milky way framing that. The factory base on the desolate moon was done so well; it was filled with such sci-fi goodness. I enjoyed taking my sweet time landing, going under the bridges in the canyon, looking at the tiny details like flashing warning strobes, etc.

Do people interdict you over materials? Last night I kept getting interdicted in my A-spec Vulture with nothing in my tiny size one cargo hold. It made me think, "Sure, I'll submit. Hold on while I deploy some hardpoints for you." :getin:

The icourier is a beautiful little yacht, but an A-spec Vulture is a beast. Here's my fit:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2patfFaladksff30u7k0004030lB234270025.Iw19kA==.CwBhGYCYWhGXL3BUIg==?bn=Good%20Doot

The KWS doesn't work because there's not enough power. I want to replace it, but don't know with what yet.

I downgraded your sensors & life support and now your kill warrant scanner works!

https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2patfFalbdksgf30u7k0004030lB234270025.AwRj4zyA.CwBhwJhKEZpmBmCxQiA=?bn=Good%20Doot

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

A-rated sensors are worth it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There are/were an absurd number of sticking it to the man salt of the earth borderlander player groups. I mean it's a good base for a faction but absolutely everyone went with it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

There are/were an absurd number of sticking it to the man salt of the earth borderlander player groups. I mean it's a good base for a faction but absolutely everyone went with it.

DAE FIREFLY!?! :downs:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

I am not yet good at building spaceships.

Why are the shields on that only C-ranked?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean, the baseline assumption for the player experience seems to be some kinda space libertarian who just does whatever makes the most money and doesn't care about no government.

In my head, I kinda RP like I'm some kinda freelance sea captain. Those guys still exist IRL and are cool af. This one dude runs harbor tours on his swanky sailboat in my hometown during the summer, has his boat drydocked for maintenance in the winter, and spends the rest of the off-season like tooling around the western hemisphere on said boat and taking on delivery contracts and poo poo.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Nickiepoo posted:

I am not yet good at building spaceships.

Why are the shields on that only C-ranked?

Bi-Weaves only come in C-ranked, and they are so worth it. They might not be as strong as regular shields, but they recharge in half the time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, the baseline assumption for the player experience seems to be some kinda space libertarian who just does whatever makes the most money and doesn't care about no government.

In my head, I kinda RP like I'm some kinda freelance sea captain. Those guys still exist IRL and are cool af. This one dude runs harbor tours on his swanky sailboat in my hometown during the summer, has his boat drydocked for maintenance in the winter, and spends the rest of the off-season like tooling around the western hemisphere on said boat and taking on delivery contracts and poo poo.

Yeah but it's cooler when they're space freelancers on call with the space gubmint to moonlight as space james bond every now and then.

Also do those sea captain guys really exist? Respond quickly as I am booking mariner-ing lessons as I post :allears:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Your guy does cargo runs in a sailboat? For realz?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

It's out of diplomatic convenience. A lot of these groups deliberately chose to be in the rear end-end of nowhere so no one but themselves and the occasional explorer would pass through their systems, in order to make their BGS stuff easier to manage. Now that they're in the Rise to Power running, they're afraid of interference from the existing Powerplay groups, so they're trying to appear as nonthreatening as possible by claiming to be harmless frontiersmen who have no interest into expanding into the bubble. Some of them honestly would love to have a colonization mechanic and only expand into empty systems, since it allows them to make their mark on the galaxy without coming into conflict with other players, so they can just sit their doing their thing in peace with no opposition.

Anyone who buys that is gonna be in for a rude surprise, though. The entire point of Powerplay is to have groups coming into conflict over territory and resources. There's no way Frontier will accept a peaceful power.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MoraleHazard posted:

Your guy does cargo runs in a sailboat? For realz?

Apparently? I don't know the details, I just took his tour a few weeks ago haha. Didn't think to ask what he was transporting. It's not exactly a tiny boat by any means; the deck holds about a dozen people, and he probably has room for several crates of pretty much anything down in the cabin.

But yeah, apparently sea captaining is still like A Thing, and you have to do a ton of training for it. He had a co-captain on the trip we were on who was basically his intern, and she's already been doing stints on like fishing ships and stuff for a few years. You need some enormous number of "hours at sea" to get your license.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Apparently? I don't know the details, I just took his tour a few weeks ago haha. Didn't think to ask what he was transporting. It's not exactly a tiny boat by any means; the deck holds about a dozen people, and he probably has room for several crates of pretty much anything down in the cabin.

But yeah, apparently sea captaining is still like A Thing, and you have to do a ton of training for it. He had a co-captain on the trip we were on who was basically his intern, and she's already been doing stints on like fishing ships and stuff for a few years. You need some enormous number of "hours at sea" to get your license.

I used to work on cargo ships; had my third mate's license, but they were huge. I was piqued at the idea at someone actually using a sailboat to run cargo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MoraleHazard posted:

I used to work on cargo ships; had my third mate's license, but they were huge. I was piqued at the idea at someone actually using a sailboat to run cargo.

Technically he said "delivery contracts". It's probably special stuff going to locations that don't get regular delivery service and/or it's straight up drugs.

It's probably not bulk cargo in any way, shape, or form. In fact almost certainly the opposite and he's taking small quantities of things simply because it would be too small a job for a real cargo ship.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

Technically he said "delivery contracts". It's probably special stuff going to locations that don't get regular delivery service and/or it's straight up drugs.

It's probably not bulk cargo in any way, shape, or form. In fact almost certainly the opposite and he's taking small quantities of things simply because it would be too small a job for a real cargo ship.

Stuff like this is why I wish the i-Courier had bigger FSD legs. Though it still has a nice jump range, it's cheaper counterparts have it better doing it's namesake.

But as it is, a Cobra or Viper 4 (Even with Military or Reactive armor) makes a better "Courier" even with single cargo rack loads.

Could be worse. The i-Courier is still a sweet loving ship worth owning. While something like the Orca would be a waste of space at it's job without being literally forced to use it and nothing else, even if they implemented passengers right this minute.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

As usual the community helps patch holes in this game's functionality:
http://collector-drone.one/

A website for tracking materials and a shopping list of mods. It's annoying to manually add every widget you pick up but its better than nothing!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Chomp8645 posted:

Yea like if an anthropologist wants a jumbo jack or something. That's basically what the zero-cargo courier missions in Elite are.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
has anyone found any planets with realistic scale surface geography? or is it supposed to be really flattened? I think the deepest canyon I've ever found was ~200 or 300 meters at most.

Almost every large rocky moon or planet or body in the solar system have many mile + high or deep features. So I'm guessing features are just really flattened in E:D?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MoraleHazard posted:

I used to work on cargo ships; had my third mate's license, but they were huge. I was piqued at the idea at someone actually using a sailboat to run cargo bales of cocaine.

FTFY.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
AHAHAHAHA :unsmigghh:

Rolled the max +25% optimal multiplier with a +10% side effect added on top.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I hate to say it, but "delivery contracts" basically means that he delivers a boat/yacht that someone else doesn't want to sail/motor from one place to an other.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

AHAHAHAHA :unsmigghh:

Rolled the max +25% optimal multiplier with a +10% side effect added on top.

Christ. What ship is that on?

Just added a 5* FSD range upgrade to my Asp, taking it up to the heady heights of a 42ly range. Been wondering whether it's worth tinkering with the power plant - a smaller Overcharged one would run into heat issues, while one with lower thermal output might not produce enough power.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
For those poor souls who haven't played since the first few months after release; What's the best way to get up to speed on all the changes, because right now, I am bewildered.

Additionally, it says service is up, but I can't log in. :smith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

SpannerX posted:

I hate to say it, but "delivery contracts" basically means that he delivers a boat/yacht that someone else doesn't want to sail/motor from one place to an other.

Yeah, forgot about those.

Yeah, the courier could stand some better FSD legs so it could courier better. For me, it's my space yacht. I imagine it's all expense and luxury on the inside.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Courier takes FSD upgrades well. I've been exploring in one fit for landing on planets and I do about 32ly I think.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aethernet posted:

Christ. What ship is that on?

Looks to be a Federal Corvette :stare:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

has anyone found any planets with realistic scale surface geography? or is it supposed to be really flattened? I think the deepest canyon I've ever found was ~200 or 300 meters at most.

Almost every large rocky moon or planet or body in the solar system have many mile + high or deep features. So I'm guessing features are just really flattened in E:D?

There are definitely large features out there. This was something like a 6 km drop on both sides:

Another planet with similar ridges, although I don't remember how big they were:

Jumping over a ~1 km deep canyon:

https://streamable.com/3w16

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

On the Dangerous Games... I really hope EG doesn't win, or they somehow pull a fast one and make two groups powers.

I am super into the player created lore that is popping up around Elite, and the latest radio sidewinder post has cool quotes from both SEPP and GalCop folks that feel in character and relevant.

The EG Pilots rep maybe just wasn't the best at English, but it basically amounts to "We want to win!"

Maybe they have more lore in Russian but that doesn't do a lot for me being exclusively an English speaker. Really hoping GalCop can pull it out. And even if not, I hope that it doesn't mean GalCop (and other lore heavy player groups) get less official support from Frontier.

It's one of the few things that keeps the otherwise fairly lifeless universe somewhat colorful.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah I agree. I'm not 100% comfortable with an isolationist community getting the nod when player groups give this game much-needed life and flavor.

On the other hand absolutely wrecking their power play faction will be fun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best part about the Dangerous Games was watching some of the groups fail to even complete a basic freight hauling task due to lack of participation.

While I'm sure the RP "fleets" will continue on in name, I imagine being shown up as paper tigers will basically gut some of them.

"Join fleet X, we can't even move freight!"

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Either I hit the new account post limiter or posting too many Fdev critical posts gets you whitewashed. Or something like that. Made a post about how they are trying to shoehorn in tourism (exploration) as their flagship 2.2 instead of fixing and re balancing core game mechanics and my post got put into a moderation queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So apparently if you put your pc to sleep through a keyboard related misshap while wearing your oculus rift the game installation shits itself or something and refuses to provide you with functioning menus to enter the game until you reinstall. Just so that you're all aware.

• Locked thread