Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
This sounds loving awful. Where do I find the rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The original rules are in book 3, but I edited them to be easier to read, clarified a few things, and integrated the adepticon version. It's now a a public google doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing

That's everything you need to play. I'm working on an update to better balance the hero roles, resource table, add a way to do challenges, and clarify how special rules confer across adhoc units.

e:

GreenMarine posted:

What about spending an action point to instantly reload?

I'm not sure it's worth it, but I think that's a good thing. Not every use of an action point should be clearly good and having options that are usually not good and are situational is a skill test.

(I guess you could use an action point to reroll the roll that caused you to lose ammo...but I wasn't clear on whether you take this test multiple times or if we decided it affected multiple weapon types and if that meant you took a test per weapon type, etc).

You can spend an action point to re-roll an ammo test, but you're right, it's not clear what happens if you have to make multiple checks for a unit like we decided last game we played.

I found a middle ground that shouldn't require house keeping. Most people roll special weapons in groups, so if you roll at least one natural '1' for a weapon type (bolter, heavy bolter, plasma gun, etc.) you make a check only for that weapon type. If you fail that check, then the unit is out of ammo for that weapon type. This way units can run out of ammo for their bolters, but not their special weapons. That's a buff to vehicles, monstrous creatures, and Ad-Hoc units. It also gives people another reason to bring a backup like a pistol. The only thing a unit can't do if it's out of ammo is reaction fire- they're too busy reloading.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 7, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The prices for the Calth models broken out into individual sets are as follows:
Marines - $50
Praetor and Chaplain - $50
Contemptor - $60
Cataphractii - $65

:wtc:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
GW has no concept of ebay.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
By my math the Calth board game was worth like -$100. Seems about accurate.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The game was $150 but even then that's still ridiculous.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Is anyone here going to the Forge World Open Day next weekend? Krushgroove?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

The prices for the Calth models broken out into individual sets are as follows:
Marines - $50
Praetor and Chaplain - $50
Contemptor - $60
Cataphractii - $65

:wtc:
Given the prices of the clampack characters, the Praetor and Chaplain are at least consistent, if too expensive. Newer Terminator kits come out to around $60 and Tactical Squads are $40, so those prices are higher than they should be. The monopose Contemptor for $60 is clown shoes though.

Basically all this tells me is that they don't want people to buy these and they want them to buy Calth boxes instead.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good god. You can get those, right now, for $15 on ebay. Legit GW models, not even recasts.

Even at that price I'd hesitate to call them a good deal.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
which is probably going to drive up the ebay prices which busts my balls because I still need 10 more terminators, AND THEN I need to secure 10 cyclone missile launchers which are horribly expensive, even the 3rd party ones.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
At least hold out for the thing this weekend. Maybe, after 3 years, we'll get lucky?

Maybe?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I mostly finished up 30 of these guys tonight. Only took me 6 months:

I wanted to weather them, but not as much as Bulbasaur because my guys aren't trench-fighting gutter scum, so I matched the Ushabti Bone (great color) and Dawnstone on both the bases and the legs so that they'd look like they had been marching all day. I did a first drybrush of Leadbelcher, then Runefang Steel, then Ushabti Bone all around the legs to simulate wear and dust accumulation. I also used Runefang Steel to do some paint rubbing around a few of the raised edges and rivets. They need some more touching up and I'll hopefully be able to oil wash them this weekend, but we'll see.

panascope fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 8, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

At least hold out for the thing this weekend. Maybe, after 3 years, we'll get lucky?

Maybe?

I thought the open day was next weekend, and that's a good joke friend.
[Perturabo intensifies]

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pretty sure the open day or whatever is next weekend, not this one.

Hencoe posted:

[Perturabo intensifies]

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Next weekend yeah. And everyone knows that this is what the Iron Warriors will be getting:

panascope posted:

I mostly finished up 30 of these guys tonight. Only took me 6 months:

Looking really nice. Reminds me that I need to sponge a bit of silver on my dudes to finish them up.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
:siren: Ding ding ding. :siren:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's cool, but not as cool as this cool new leaked logo:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ordered the fancy one. Nice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same here. Glad I flipped my red books early this year.

It'll be time to sell your BRBs towards the end of the month, I think. The rumblings for a new edition are starting up.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
It also contains all the deployment and mission rules. Great job by FW! Pre-ordered mine with the refund I got from my damaged previous version.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh this is neat, looks like the changes in the book might be more extensive than we thoughts.

Orbital Assault has been updated to specifically allow Dreadnought Talons to take pods. That's going to make dropping grav cortus much easier.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Oh this is neat, looks like the changes in the book might be more extensive than we thoughts.

Orbital Assault has been updated to specifically allow Dreadnought Talons to take pods. That's going to make dropping grav cortus much easier.

Okay, thats really cool.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Is there a list of the confirmed changes?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Nah, that was just from a preview page. Both the book and the digital version are on pre-order until the 15th, so no actual details until then.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

The iTunes preview shows the falchion has some upgrade "that allows it to combat enemy main battle Titans" how well that actually pans out will be entertaining at least.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

The iTunes preview shows the falchion has some upgrade "that allows it to combat enemy main battle Titans" how well that actually pans out will be entertaining at least.

Noice

Fingers crossed that we'll finally see a lot more unit variety. Until GW releases 8th edition and everything goes to poo poo.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

HQ
Maloghurst the Twisted - The Long March

Troops
Legion Veteran Tactical Squad
-9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper
-Legion Veteran Sergeant
--Artificer Armour, Power Fist

-Legion Veteran Sergeant

Reaver Attack Squad
-Artificer Armour, 8x Boltgun with Banestrike Shells, Jump Packs, Melta Bombs, 2x Meltagun, Power Fist, 9x Reavers

Reaver Attack Squad
-Artificer Armour, 8x Boltgun with Banestrike Shells, Jump Packs, Melta Bombs, 2x Meltagun, Power Fist, 9x Reavers

Elites
Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought
--Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery
-Legion Rapier Weapons Battery
--Laser Destroyer Array
--Laser Destroyer Array

Legion Astartes
Traitor, XVI: Sons of Horus

We're gonna play this weekend, this is likely what I'll be rolling with at 1600 points. This will probably be the first game where I don't try to null deploy and do everything via Outflank/Deep Strike, which should be a nice change. I get the feeling I'll be using Fleet a fair amount in The Long March. It's also the most models I've used in 30k, it'll be weird to have over 40 marines on the board.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's finally here. And the pound is low. :shepspends:

I'm just going to get the book and some shoulderpads/helmets I need for my next squad. Nothing big for now, I have enough to work on.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

panascope posted:

HQ
Maloghurst the Twisted - The Long March

Troops
-Legion Veteran Sergeant

-Legion Veteran Sergeant

Reaver Attack Squad

Reaver Attack Squad

Elites
Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought
--Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery
--Laser Destroyer Array
--Laser Destroyer Array

Legion Astartes
Traitor, XVI: Sons of Horus

We're gonna play this weekend, this is likely what I'll be rolling with at 1600 points. This will probably be the first game where I don't try to null deploy and do everything via Outflank/Deep Strike, which should be a nice change. I get the feeling I'll be using Fleet a fair amount in The Long March. It's also the most models I've used in 30k, it'll be weird to have over 40 marines on the board.

no transports? just dudes on foot?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Long march biiiiitch

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The owner of the nerd store I go to grabbed a few extras of that limited edition praetor model and hung onto one for me since he knew I was out of town. He actually drove to a GW store and bought them for some of his customers. I wasn't particularly planning to pick that guy up, but I kind of had to at that point. :3:

I'll find a use for the guy. Probably a champion or delegatus or something.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

The owner of the nerd store I go to grabbed a few extras of that limited edition praetor model and hung onto one for me since he knew I was out of town. He actually drove to a GW store and bought them for some of his customers. I wasn't particularly planning to pick that guy up, but I kind of had to at that point. :3:

I'll find a use for the guy. Probably a champion or delegatus or something.

That's a cool dude.

Any predictions for what else they are going to change in the new red book?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Cheaper assault marines. Hopefully. More expensive phosphex.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Does anyone run Night Lords? Trying to figure out if it's better in general to use the Terror Assault RoW and use 10-man Terror Squads, or to go for a more vanilla RoW and actually be able to take advantage of A Talent for Murder.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PantsOptional posted:

Does anyone run Night Lords? Trying to figure out if it's better in general to use the Terror Assault RoW and use 10-man Terror Squads, or to go for a more vanilla RoW and actually be able to take advantage of A Talent for Murder.

I do, I use the Terror Assault - but for its fluff, less so the effectiveness.

A talent for murder works well if you have something else to soften units before you get in. I use a scorpius as my single heavy support, and land it on blobs of more than 10 marines.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

PantsOptional posted:

Terror Assault comes out really expensive once you give terror squads upgrades/10man/volkite/CC weapons and on top of that transport. At the end of the day no matter how good they are in CC or shooting with volkite they die like tac marines and are much more expensive. Yes they can infiltrate but that usually works once on an opponent and then they bring 5 point augury scanners and neuters your main ability. I am struggling with my NL at the moment to fit what I have into a decent ROW, be fluffy and also not be cannon fodder. I did find dropping raptors out of a Kharybis to be hilarious though! but again hugely expensive. If they new red book drops the points of assault marines I will just end up using them as those as raptors are also hellishly expensive and fragile......................oh and NL not have legion specific terminators is grinding my gears as well, 2 wounds and fear please................

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Killer_Bees! posted:

oh and NL not have legion specific terminators is grinding my gears as well, 2 wounds and fear please................

I was surprised they didn't include the Atramentar in any of the books too, since they're kind of important side characters in the Night Lords books.

Has anybody played with or against Mortarion? Not that I'm going to or anything, he just looks like a really loving good Primarch. Lots of army buffs, moves 12", infinite Phosphex bombs, etc. Maybe better than Horus?? nah

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He's nuts. In batreps everyone talks about how nutso the 12" move is. Ontop of the high toughness and wounds he's one of the more beastly micro gods.

Also, since Iron Bros are up to 3 special units, maybe everyone else will get a 3rd one over time?

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cheaper assault marines. Hopefully. More expensive phosphex.

Why more expensive phosphex? It seems overpriced, considering a regular medusa shell is almost always better.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
In the blackshield marauder unit profile do their 2 attacks come from being double armed or just naturally as it doesn't say in their unit entry. I assume that it comes from being double armed and forgeworld just missed it like normal, but they usually make a point of saying if it does or does not. I'm trying to figure out a nice composition for a squad or two before I build them.

Otherwise equipping blackshield terminators with all sorts of weird equipment is fun and exciting instead of boring old marines. I can't wait to actually play some games with the outlander rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

He's nuts. In batreps everyone talks about how nutso the 12" move is. Ontop of the high toughness and wounds he's one of the more beastly micro gods.

Also, since Iron Bros are up to 3 special units, maybe everyone else will get a 3rd one over time?

Why more expensive phosphex? It seems overpriced, considering a regular medusa shell is almost always better.

The rapier phosphexes.