Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There's a lady in my office that is driving me insane. I think she's in her 40s,but it's hard to tell. This woman hasn't put any effort into taking care of herself as evidenced by her being greatly overweight and having a voice not unlike that of Dr Girlfriend from Venture Brothers.

That I could accept, but she coughs constantly. Like, every couple of minutes she lets out a series of phlegmy coughs. I thought when I started that maybe she was just sick that week, but nope. It's constant. I wish I could go to HR about it, but how can they take action on someone for coughing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Inspector 34 posted:

It amazes me that there aren't tiny little dog corpses lining our streets, given the number of dogs running around without restraint.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Indolent Bastard posted:

Cowslips Warren, reading about your job, your friends, and occasionally family; have you ever considered faking your own death and moving far far away to start a new life? It couldn't be worse than what you seem to deal with on a daily basis now.

Just a thought.

I'm not trying to get on your case, but it seems to me you might considering applying goon rule number one and :sever: from your current life.

I think we need to start a Cowslips Warren rescue society.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And yes, there are fees/penalties/etc. for breaking a lease. I'm not suggesting you break it by vacating the unit without notice. That'll get you a bad landlord reference, and these days, might even put a mark on your credit report. Go read that lease--just about every big-box lease has clauses in it giving the tenant ways to get out of the obligation under certain circumstances. A common one is being forced to move due to work. Tell 'em you got promoted and your new office is 200+ miles away. That should be good enough for them, but if they want proof, it's not like firing up Microsoft Word and putting something on stock letterhead takes any time or effort.

I love the irony here. "Holy gently caress, do not press charges against the noisy guy, instead, commit fraud!"

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We don't have the money or the resources to move again so soon, so we were trying everything else we could to make the next 11 months of our lease bearable. From what I've read, there are ways to break a lease without a lot of $$$$$ involved if the landlord isn't holding up their end of the responsibilities/lease, but it's a lot of poo poo to go through, and we're worried about how that might affect our ability to get another apartment.

:smith:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Would they even have the right to see proof of the new job?

Also would the local council or US equivalent not be able to do anything?

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jul 7, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't think we have those in the states, the closest thing I can think of is homeowners associations but I might be wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't know but "Lie to break a contract" is hilariously bad advice.

Like, sure, you'll probably get away with it but on the off chance that the landlord makes an issue of it, you've completely hosed yourself.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We're not the ones violating the lease or breaking rules, I'd like to keep it that way :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Strategic Tea posted:

Not "a right," but it really wouldn't be an unreasonable request from someone offering to let you out of a year-long contract.

And I can't speak for every single jurisdiction in the country, but the closest analog I can think of is a city council or county board, and they don't really deal with problems on an individual basis like this. It'd be a different if this was "hey these food trucks keep parking outside my house at 2AM after the bars close and play music really loud to attract drunk customers walking home"

The Snoo posted:

From what I've read, there are ways to break a lease without a lot of $$$$$ involved if the landlord isn't holding up their end of the responsibilities/lease

The Snoo posted:

We're not the ones violating the lease or breaking rules
This kind of talk sounds like "gently caress it, we have the high ground here and we're going to court." If so, good luck :thumbsup:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Complaining to the property manager is silly. He or she does not give a flying gently caress.
You're just assuming that. What's the harm in trying it even once? Upsetting him or giving him work?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also don't even consider trying to sue him or the property manager. Whoever suggested that, I'm sorry, but great googly moogly it is horrible advice for so many reasons.
Yeah, I suppose because you worked in the field. How about you explain how exactly it's bad advice or do we have to take your word for it?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Pressing charges for assault is such monumentally terrible advice that I'm having trouble articulating exactly how bad an idea it is
Like you're having trouble articulating why you shouldn't sue the other tenant or press charges and we should just take your word for it. Instead we get...

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

but if they want proof, it's not like firing up Microsoft Word and putting something on stock letterhead takes any time or effort.
Brilliant idea. Commit fraud instead of upsetting the property manager.

So okay, talking to the manager is supposedly not a good idea (when the only downside could be that they don't take any action), two other ideas are "horrible/terrible" for no explanation whatsoever, so we should commit fraud and spend time and effort to move to the next place where we also can't address the situation directly should it arise again, but can just move.

Do you move furniture for a living, by any chance?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Snoo posted:

We don't have the money or the resources to move again so soon, so we were trying everything else we could to make the next 11 months of our lease bearable. From what I've read, there are ways to break a lease without a lot of $$$$$ involved if the landlord isn't holding up their end of the responsibilities/lease, but it's a lot of poo poo to go through, and we're worried about how that might affect our ability to get another apartment.

:smith:

Have you asked if you can move to another apartment/building?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I've had friends move to different units in the same complex for a variety of reasons. Don't know if you'd consider that "moving" which you've made pretty clear is off the table though. Don't know why the property manager would object either since it wouldn't affect the leased/vacant ratio. Of course high demand areas can be pretty tough to find vacant spots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't think we have those in the states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_the_United_States

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MasBrillante posted:

Have you asked if you can move to another apartment/building?

Are there others available? And make that manager do his goddamned job.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Canker sores.

Barely even enough to be considered a 'health' thing, hurts like a bitch for days, and you can't do poo poo about them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

flavor posted:

You're just assuming that. What's the harm in trying it even once? Upsetting him or giving him work?

Yeah, I suppose because you worked in the field. How about you explain how exactly it's bad advice or do we have to take your word for it?

Like you're having trouble articulating why you shouldn't sue the other tenant or press charges and we should just take your word for it. Instead we get...

Brilliant idea. Commit fraud instead of upsetting the property manager.

So okay, talking to the manager is supposedly not a good idea (when the only downside could be that they don't take any action), two other ideas are "horrible/terrible" for no explanation whatsoever, so we should commit fraud and spend time and effort to move to the next place where we also can't address the situation directly should it arise again, but can just move.

Do you move furniture for a living, by any chance?

Nah, he's just monumentally stupid, paranoid, and passive-aggressive. Taking his advice is about as safe as going on a date with Bill Cosby.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cleretic posted:

Canker sores.

Barely even enough to be considered a 'health' thing, hurts like a bitch for days, and you can't do poo poo about them.

What even causes them? I hate them, too.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We had a hell of a time getting this particular unit because it was the only one available that wasn't more than a mile from the bus stops, since my husband uses a cane. If they have another unit in a better spot than here, that would be great, but we don't have a lot of options. If it continues to be awful, I'll bring that up that idea to the property manager. They already have 2 or 3 vacant units in this building already, but I don't think either are 2 bedrooms.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This kind of talk sounds like "gently caress it, we have the high ground here and we're going to court." If so, good luck :thumbsup:

?????? I don't want to go to court or deal with this any longer than I have to, I just said that we're not the ones violating the lease and it's hosed up that our options are 'deal with it' or 'move', neither of which are very feasible due to health stuff and money/resources. I don't want to sound like 'oh there's nothing we can do' because we've done everything that we should've done and it's on the property manager to take care of it, not us.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As someone who's been in lovely housing situations, and lovely other situations, before, a lesson it took me too long to learn is that sometimes there's the solution where you're Right, and there's the solution where you get to move on with your life with the least bullshit possible.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Leavemywife posted:

What even causes them? I hate them, too.

I know anytime I end up with a minor cut somehow, from biting my cheek or whatever, those always turn into canker sores. They also tend to crop up a lot after I decide to indulge my sweet tooth. drat chocolate.

They're the loving worst when they end up on your tongue, though. Can't even loving talk without instant surges of pain.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

liquidypoo posted:

I know anytime I end up with a minor cut somehow, from biting my cheek or whatever, those always turn into canker sores. They also tend to crop up a lot after I decide to indulge my sweet tooth. drat chocolate.

They're the loving worst when they end up on your tongue, though. Can't even loving talk without instant surges of pain.

I hate them so much. (Especially since I like spicy food, and a tongue sore can ruin that experience thoroughly.)

The only thing I've found that helps even a little with mouth sores, especially the tongue variety, is Anbesol mouthwash which I gather is actually meant for toothaches.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

People who refer to their boyfriend/girlfiend/husband/wife as their partner or significant other. God forbid people realize that your bone buddy has a gender.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

grittyreboot posted:

People who refer to their boyfriend/girlfiend/husband/wife as their partner or significant other. God forbid people realize that your bone buddy has a gender.

I do this around people who I suspect are homophobic.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grittyreboot posted:

Lol why do you need to know their gender if you don't know them well enough to have met their partner in person.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people say SO when their relationship progresses from less trivial than BF/GF but they are not married.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I do this around people who I suspect are homophobic.

Oh right. I didn't think about that. My bad.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's really only annoying to me when it's a hetero couple being obtusely Progressive.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Noctone posted:

It's really only annoying to me when it's a hetero couple being obtusely Progressive.

That's pretty much the root of my problem with it.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I loving hate when I order things off Amazon on Thursdays, with prime shipping, and it's not going to show up until Monday or sometimes even Tuesday :argh: or they want me to pay loving $35 for "Saturday delivery". What the gently caress is this poo poo? It only does it with some items, and I've only noticed it recently but then again I don't order very often. Other items will show up on Saturday or Sunday just fine! I'm an idiot, too, so I never notice it on the product page. I get all the way to checkout, then have to either suck it up and wait, or go back and search for a different, comparable item that will ship faster.

grittyreboot posted:

Most of the people I know who do this are in very-long-term relationships but aren't (and don't plan to be) married, and feel like boyfriend/girlfriend sounds immature or trivializes the relationship. "Significant other" sounds awkward to me, but I like partner.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

grittyreboot posted:

I got into the habit of calling my partners "my partner" so I wouldn't out myself to strangers, even if my current partner was male. Old habits and all that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Noctone posted:

Yeah this is how I feel about it. I mean, call them whatever you want, but don't get indignant and throw out accusations of homophobia when someone is confused about what you mean by partner. When I hear someone talking about their partner who isn't there the first place my mind goes is "business/law partner", or if they are clearly in a relationship I assume one or both must be part of the LGBTQ community because usually those are the only people I hear using the term that way.

I think it would clear up a lot of confusion for people if they just went with "life partner", although I guess that has some long-term/serious connotations to it. e: maybe "potentially temporary life partner"?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Jul 9, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

docbeard posted:

As someone who's been in lovely housing situations, and lovely other situations, before, a lesson it took me too long to learn is that sometimes there's the solution where you're Right, and there's the solution where you get to move on with your life with the least bullshit possible.

Yeah, so let's all throw our hands in the air and move when there's noise, because it can't possibly be addressed with less effort and moving is the most effortless thing imaginable.

Suing the noisemaker in small claims court is easy enough. There may also be a case to withhold part of the rent until the situation gets fixed. But nah, moving is cheap and easy and we don't want anyone to become upset.

I agree that there is a point where insisting on your rights becomes too much effort, but there are still some avenues left in this situation.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

flavor posted:

Yeah, so let's all throw our hands in the air and move when there's noise, because it can't possibly be addressed with less effort and moving is the most effortless thing imaginable.

Suing the noisemaker in small claims court is easy enough. There may also be a case to withhold part of the rent until the situation gets fixed. But nah, moving is cheap and easy and we don't want anyone to become upset.

I agree that there is a point where insisting on your rights becomes too much effort, but there are still some avenues left in this situation.

I agree that legal is the best bet. But when you're disabled, dealing with the crap life throws at you can make it difficult to want to get involved in yet another struggle. There's no guarantee that Small Claims will get Jackass McWoofers to tone it down; he might get really vindictive, in which case a bad situation spirals into a nightmare.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'd love to see you try to withhold rent because of noisy neighbors. Good luck finding a new apartment after getting evicted.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

A White Guy posted:

I'd love to see you try to withhold rent because of noisy neighbors. Good luck finding a new apartment after getting evicted.

Withholding rent would be part of a legal process with the court. You can't just stop paying rent. To the op: contact a tenants rights group in your state for help.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FetusSlapper posted:

Withholding rent would be part of a legal process with the court. You can't just stop paying rent. To the op: contact a tenants rights group in your state for help.

This is always one of the better parts of those daytime TV court shows - when someone says they started withholding rent and the judge asks for the paperwork about the escrow account they set up etc and they seem shocked that you can't just stop paying and blow the rent money on something else.

Recent annoyance: people who don't re-close the entrance gate(s) to a house after coming to the door. It's not really a safety issue I guess since the gate isn't locked, it's just annoying to have to go back out and close it after they leave.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nettles Coterie posted:

Most of the people I know who do this are in very-long-term relationships but aren't (and don't plan to be) married, and feel like boyfriend/girlfriend sounds immature or trivializes the relationship. "Significant other" sounds awkward to me, but I like partner.
It's weird that boyfriend and girlfriend are terms that adults use at all, to be honest. I don't have an issue with it because it's so ingrained, but when you put thought into it, it seems really bizarre.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We wouldn't be trying to withhold rent without A) the proper legal poo poo and B) receiving at least the first notice they're supposed to send us about what they're 'doing'. It's been nearly a month since they received our written formal complaint, as they requested, and I don't know what's considered 'timely'. I'm looking into a few things re: tenant's rights, thank you.

Withholding rent and dealing with escrow accounts and stuff would probably backfire on us anyway and make it more difficult to find another apartment.

Right now the dude is watching (? it doesn't sound like proper music) something that has a lot of bass and it's all just loud rumbling noises coming up through our floor. It sounds like someone revving an engine outside of our apartment or something. It's really bad and the anxiety is making me sick. :(

This is the part of the lease that talks about noise:

I looked up that 8–204 thing and maybe my reading comprehension is hosed, what does that have to do with quiet enjoyment, exactly?

If there's a better thread for this, let me know, sorry.

snoo has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jul 9, 2016

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Trip Report from the leasing office at me and snoo's apartment, if anyone cares. I went over there to ask the property manager's name and info to see if we could get in touch with him personally, and the nice lady sat down with me and wrote out a professional report and faxed it directly to her overhead for review.

It detailed how both my wife and I have health concerns, how this is negatively affecting us, our attempts to solve this with property manager and the police, how long it's been going on and the usual hours of the disturbances. She said she had a noise guy in her apartment a couple of months ago, and I'm not sure if this was a story to help relate to us or not, and she said a tenant went to her to file a complaint.

The first step is to send a letter to get people's attention (which we did!) and they'll send out a warning to the noise guy. If he ignores it, we talk to them again and leaselady will send in another complaint for us, which will lead to a probationary period for the guy. If he continues after that, then he gets an Eviction notice. Unfortunately it could take upwards of two weeks per step, so we just hafta bear it, which sucks, but atleast we'll know something is getting done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Current peeve - sitting at a car dealer to get papers signed & done, but some idiotic redneck couple keeps arguing over dumb poo poo with a sales manager. Meanwhile I have to sit waiting for more than an hour to do 10minutes of signing. GO AWAY YOU DUMB CHEAP FUCKS