Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
After 2 years away, I kind of assumed arty wouldn't be as big an annoyance. I was wrong. It's still super frustrating to get either a) xvm sniped or b) die in the first 90s to an arty one-shot due to suicide scouts.

edit: a sale on the t54 mod 1 would be neat.

edit2: very next round - focused down by 3x enemy arty.

Sterling_Archer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead
I love the T-54 mod. 1, but I'm convinced that the gun possesses some foul sorcery that causes me to miss all my aimed shots.

I mean, I know the 100mm isn't the most accurate to begin with, but I didn't sit still for 3 seconds just to put that shell into the goddamn ridgeline.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

So I've taken the plunge and decided to get a Superpershing.
I'm so sorry.

quote:

What upgrades should I put on it? I've already purchased Rammer, of course, and I'll get vertical stabilizers once I have the credits. What should go in the 3rd slot? Gun laying drive? Vents? Spall liner? I'm not sure about gun laying drive, the thing already has pretty good aim that would only get better once I have vertical stabilizer, and I don't know if spall liner is actually worth it.
The trifecta for most tanks is Rammer, vert-stabs. and one of vents, optics or binocs. Vents will give you a little bit of everything (view range, reload speed, aim time, etc but only like ~2% better). However, view range is super important in this game so I lean towards optics and binocs now. I personally like to put binocs on slower tanks or tanks that need to stop and aim their guns to be effective. Optics works better for tanks that can reposition easily and are always on the move.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Hazdoc posted:

So I've taken the plunge and decided to get a Superpershing. While I enjoy the russian tanks, I really enjoy having good gun depression, and the Superpershing has both great gun depression and hilarious frontal armor. I'm already loving this tank.

What upgrades should I put on it? I've already purchased Rammer, of course, and I'll get vertical stabilizers once I have the credits. What should go in the 3rd slot? Gun laying drive? Vents? Spall liner? I'm not sure about gun laying drive, the thing already has pretty good aim that would only get better once I have vertical stabilizer, and I don't know if spall liner is actually worth it.

If I don't know what to put on a tank I go onto vbaddict and pick what the unicums use. Superpershing Looks like rammer, vents, vstab

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I did the dumb quiz to put myself in a drawing for a dumb TOG using the magazine app since you can basically skip the whole magazine and get to a link for the quiz with questions about maps and the game not the content of their magazine.

FYI their magazine is super dumb as #RussianBias.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chillyrabbit posted:

If I don't know what to put on a tank I go onto vbaddict and pick what the unicums use. Superpershing Looks like rammer, vents, vstab

This.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Hellsau posted:

Yeah but they kept Malinovka Assault around forever, where the base was just under the hilltop and the defending team all spawned on top of the hill in one clump, while the attacking team spawned split up three ways in the field and at the regular mode spawns. That was laughably terrible design.

That assault map is still on console. Except they shifted the cap to about F-8, so it's more or less not within draw range from the hill. Starting spots are the same.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Valle posted:

That assault map is still on console. Except they shifted the cap to about F-8, so it's more or less not within draw range from the hill. Starting spots are the same.

You know how you fix that map for Assault? Switch the spawns - Attacking spawns uphill (the terrain advantage) and Defense spawns downhill (so they can pincer any attempted CAPFASTs) and put the cap in the field near the south waterline. There, now the defenders don't have literally every advantage.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Hellsau posted:

You know how you fix that map for Assault? Switch the spawns - Attacking spawns uphill (the terrain advantage) and Defense spawns downhill (so they can pincer any attempted CAPFASTs) and put the cap in the field near the south waterline. There, now the defenders don't have literally every advantage.

That was the other console Assault version of Malinovka (there are different flag placements on the weather/extra rubble variants of some maps). They pulled it because the defenders got slaughtered, there being no cover save the buildings, so anyone that couldn't manage 40 kph who spawned on the right side of the field got shat on from the bushes above the lake or pinned in buildings until outflanked. The lucky few that spawned west could sprint into cover and then work up towards the monastery, but usually didn't have the weight of numbers to prevail.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

That was the other console Assault version of Malinovka (there are different flag placements on the weather/extra rubble variants of some maps). They pulled it because the defenders got slaughtered, there being no cover save the buildings, so anyone that couldn't manage 40 kph who spawned on the right side of the field got shat on from the bushes above the lake or pinned in buildings until outflanked. The lucky few that spawned west could sprint into cover and then work up towards the monastery, but usually didn't have the weight of numbers to prevail.

Wait what? Did the attackers spawn really goddamn close? If the attacking team spawned up on top of the hill, they should have taken a good minute to a minute and a half to get within range of the southeast. Unless of course the dumbshit pubbies didn't recognize that they needed to get their whole team grouped up lest they get picked apart piecemeal.

Does the console version of Malinovka have that loving K3/K4 bullshit where there's a little cliff there that allows the west spawn to spot the east spawn from perfect cover where nothing can damage the scout?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Yeah, the spawns were partway down the hill, so they could sprint to firing positions before the defenders got their poo poo together.

That bullshit lip is still there, but the meta is very heavily hill-focused, so you usually only get a couple base campers watching the field or firing on spotted targets thataway; its impact isn't decisive.

e: I looked up the old attacker spawns, one was at A0 on top of the hill, but the others were A6 and D0, so, you know, gently caress the right side.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 7, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

Yeah, the spawns were partway down the hill, so they could sprint to firing positions before the defenders got their poo poo together.

That bullshit lip is still there, but the meta is very heavily hill-focused, so you usually only get a couple base campers watching the field or firing on spotted targets thataway; it's impact isn't decisive.

e: I looked up the old attacker spawns, one was at A0 on top of the hill, but the others were A6 and D0, so, you know, gently caress the right side.

lol jesus christ wargaming

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Hellsau posted:

There, now the defenders don't have literally every advantage.

In the current console iteration though, I've only seen the defenders win once. They keep sitting on top of the loving hill at the lip, side by side, so a single enemy poking up spots them all and then they all get loving shot while that single enemy backs up a bit. And when the attackers get into cap they KEEP sitting on the loving hill because defending pubbies can't get past there being no enemy cap on assault so they just sit there uselessly and lose on cap. It's so loving stupid and I really REALLY wish they'd let me turn off those shitmodes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Valle posted:

In the current console iteration though, I've only seen the defenders win once. They keep sitting on top of the loving hill at the lip, side by side, so a single enemy poking up spots them all and then they all get loving shot while that single enemy backs up a bit. And when the attackers get into cap they KEEP sitting on the loving hill because defending pubbies can't get past there being no enemy cap on assault so they just sit there uselessly and lose on cap. It's so loving stupid and I really REALLY wish they'd let me turn off those shitmodes.

I was on Siegfried Line Assault a few months ago, on the defending team side. Someone tried to cap the northwest spawn. The attacker's spawn.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Meanwhile in standard mode pubbies will stop two metres short of the cap to take potshots at a light tank 500 metres away.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

I did the dumb quiz to put myself in a drawing for a dumb TOG using the magazine app since you can basically skip the whole magazine and get to a link for the quiz with questions about maps and the game not the content of their magazine.

FYI their magazine is super dumb as #RussianBias.

They have an app that gives things away?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

They have an app that gives things away?

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/world-of-tanks-magazine-4/

Skip through the entire magazine to get to their "quiz."

Or laugh at all the Russian bias and bullshit.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Is Russian bias a real thing or just some joke? I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to this game.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Are there anyone left on EU who actually plays tanks?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Szcwczuk posted:

Is Russian bias a real thing or just some joke? I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to this game.

It's real....in the Wehraboo mind!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

It was more real long ago. The standard bearer of it was the kv1. Back then, the kv2 wasn't a separate tank. It was an upgrade on the kv1. A tier 5 heavy rolling around with that barn turret and 152mm derp. Nothing around that tier was even close to a real threat to it.

Another one was the kv1s. It got is 122mm gun at tier 6. Again, a nasty boom cannon at a tier where other tanks just didnt have the hp or armor to fight back.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

It was more real long ago. The standard bearer of it was the kv1. Back then, the kv2 wasn't a separate tank. It was an upgrade on the kv1. A tier 5 heavy rolling around with that barn turret and 152mm derp. Nothing around that tier was even close to a real threat to it.

Another one was the kv1s. It got is 122mm gun at tier 6. Again, a nasty boom cannon at a tier where other tanks just didnt have the hp or armor to fight back.

Those were actually fixed in 2 different patches as you know.
The KV-1 wasn't OP due to the 152 derp, but rather due to it having the 107 at tier5. So basically an O-I Exp but with actual armour.
What is forgotten is the KV-3 that was at tier6 during that time with the same amount of armour as it has now in tier7, which was actually even more OP than the KV-1.
Also the SU-85 also had the 107.
The KV-1S/Hellcat nerf was well deserved and leveled the field at tier6.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

I was half joking but the magazine is geared to a Russian audience. One article about the Afghanistan War, factoids about the Emperor of Russia saving Smith and Wesson, basically every article ties into Russia in a way that felt forced. Plus they only print the magazine in Russian and English.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I was half joking but the magazine is geared to a Russian audience. One article about the Afghanistan War, factoids about the Emperor of Russia saving Smith and Wesson, basically every article ties into Russia in a way that felt forced. Plus they only print the magazine in Russian and English.

I know you were, I was just answering that the game did have some actual evidence of russian bias long ago. But the devs finally balanced the game by splitting and moving the russian tanks around to fix it. Mostly was them being misplaced for their tiers.

Cardiac posted:

Those were actually fixed in 2 different patches as you know.
The KV-1 wasn't OP due to the 152 derp, but rather due to it having the 107 at tier5. So basically an O-I Exp but with actual armour.
What is forgotten is the KV-3 that was at tier6 during that time with the same amount of armour as it has now in tier7, which was actually even more OP than the KV-1.
Also the SU-85 also had the 107.
The KV-1S/Hellcat nerf was well deserved and leveled the field at tier6.

Yeah, but most people didn't take the kv-3 because of the lack of mobility it had compared to the 1s. And the 1s gave a good taste of how the rest of the russian heavy tanks were going to play like.

This was also of course, back in the day when the is-4 was a tier 9 heavy tank. It was arguably better than the is7 at the time. It also packed the 130mm gun, but had some actual armor unlike the is7 back then.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

On the other hand, said KV-1 saw tier 9 battles. When it was top tier it was OP, when it was bottom tier it was...well, at least I'll do *some* damage!

And the KV-1S wasn't really ever OP. It got the 122mm gun, but with...what, 18sec reload? With a rammer? Something like that. If pubbies would just stop being fuckwits they could easily kill off a KV-1S in between its reloads. Which actually held true for the KV-1 with the 152mm as well. Of course pubbies will never stop being fuckwits so they were both kinda OP. Because pubbies never loving exploited the weaknesses of the tanks.

I mean, Ranzar even made a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUb6EjnIhc

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Valle posted:

On the other hand, said KV-1 saw tier 9 battles. When it was top tier it was OP, when it was bottom tier it was...well, at least I'll do *some* damage!

And the KV-1S wasn't really ever OP. It got the 122mm gun, but with...what, 18sec reload? With a rammer? Something like that. If pubbies would just stop being fuckwits they could easily kill off a KV-1S in between its reloads. Which actually held true for the KV-1 with the 152mm as well. Of course pubbies will never stop being fuckwits so they were both kinda OP. Because pubbies never loving exploited the weaknesses of the tanks.

I mean, Ranzar even made a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUb6EjnIhc

Actually, the kv-1 with the 152 was the super op tank. This was before the first HE redesign. Back when HE functioned on a completely different scale than now. It also only saw to tier 8 not 9.

HE used to hit an armor, then spread out over it for some size I forget. If in that circle was a weak spot, the damage was then calculated on that weakspot itself. Literally shooting HE was actually good with the derp shells. Favorite weakspots like driver slits with their 0 armor setups meant that you just had to shoot in the vicinity of the front of the tank to do full damage. This meant that the 152mm howitzer on the kv-1 was actually a real threat to even tier 8 heavies if left to its own devices. Higher tiered tanks would actually ignore equal tiered threats just to remove a kv-1 off the field when spotted. But even getting two shots off before dieing in the kv-1 would get you at least 1k damage.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

Actually, the kv-1 with the 152 was the super op tank. This was before the first HE redesign. Back when HE functioned on a completely different scale than now. It also only saw to tier 8 not 9.

HE used to hit an armor, then spread out over it for some size I forget. If in that circle was a weak spot, the damage was then calculated on that weakspot itself. Literally shooting HE was actually good with the derp shells. Favorite weakspots like driver slits with their 0 armor setups meant that you just had to shoot in the vicinity of the front of the tank to do full damage. This meant that the 152mm howitzer on the kv-1 was actually a real threat to even tier 8 heavies if left to its own devices. Higher tiered tanks would actually ignore equal tiered threats just to remove a kv-1 off the field when spotted. But even getting two shots off before dieing in the kv-1 would get you at least 1k damage.

Yep, back before the HE fix and MM change, a KV-1 was a nightmare if it wasn't focused down the instant it was seen. A HE shell hitting near the rear of a IS-3/KT would do 400ish damage and probably set them on fire. But a lucky shot into a vision slit or near the commander copula would do pretty amazing damage. Now HE is a mild inconvenience unless the shell can pen.

They should give the KV's 152 and Japanese 150mm guns the same stun ability as arty, but keep the damage.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

That's a lot of bad opinions on this page.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

It also only saw to tier 8 not 9.

Sorry, but that's wrong. The KV-1 saw tier 9. The T1 Heavy at same tier got special matchmaking and was blessed with only seeing tier 8. The M6 and KV-3, the only tier 6 heavies at the time, saw tier 10 battles. Due to how the matchmaker at the time worked, those two tanks would generally be tossed into tier 10 battles as filler, to balance out the matchmaking weight on other team, so it was a near-constant loving stream of tier 10 battles in your unupgraded M6 with 128 pen. And then eventually 160. Before premium rounds for credits. This is the real reason everyone loving hated the M6 back then, because it got terrible loving matchmaking. The KV-3 at least got the 122mm with 175 pen, so you could do SOMETHING and whoever you shot and penned would know you'd hit them. The M6 just blew up whenever it was spotted.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sterling_Archer posted:

After 2 years away, I kind of assumed arty wouldn't be as big an annoyance. I was wrong. It's still super frustrating to get either a) xvm sniped or b) die in the first 90s to an arty one-shot due to suicide scouts.

edit: a sale on the t54 mod 1 would be neat.

edit2: very next round - focused down by 3x enemy arty.

I got one shotted by arty while driving my M48 Patton at full speed last night within the first minute of a game last night.

I then got one shotted by an SU100Y I couldn't see in my Sherman and decided it just wasn't going to be my night and logged off.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Russian bias exist in that the 3-lane DOTA map design meta benefits Russian heavies tanks the most.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

man just imagine how much more fun this game would be with genuinely good maps

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is the KV-85 still a keeper like the KV-1s was? I still have one in my garage after the change and the nice crew to go with it but I haven't touched it since the change.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prav posted:

man just imagine how much more fun this game would be with genuinely good maps

It would be so much better. Prokhorovka/Steppes/Kharkov should be the barometer of success. Basically any map where flanking is always an option for dealing with an enemy. gently caress lane maps forever.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

I find it decent enough at least. It's nowhere near as fast as the KV-1S used to be, top speed being 34km/h, but the 100mm gun it gets is pretty good. It's more or less the 100mm D10T gun with 5 less pen. You could go for the comedy 122mm option of old, but about 18sec reload is a bitch. Most pubbies obviously run it with the 122mm.

All in all not the seemingly OP tank the KV-1S was, but decent enough on its own.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zettace posted:

Is the KV-85 still a keeper like the KV-1s was? I still have one in my garage after the change and the nice crew to go with it but I haven't touched it since the change.

It's great with the 100mm. 6.5 second reload on 250 damage with 170 pen at T6.

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead

Zettace posted:

It's certainly a better keep than the T-150. That thing has not aged well.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it wasn't terribly impressive the day they added it either

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
I feel stupid but I assumed HE damage was still calculated like it was in the old days. On the other hand, I don't play derp tanks, soo... does the wiki article have a good explanation of HE mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Yeonik posted:

I feel stupid but I assumed HE damage was still calculated like it was in the old days. On the other hand, I don't play derp tanks, soo... does the wiki article have a good explanation of HE mechanics?

More or less. If you don't pen, damage is first halved, then reduced depending on the thickness of the armor in the area you hit. There's a formula there for the exact poo poo if you really want to get into it.

In other news, had US dude in my console match earlier, sounded like he was probably in his late teens, and he said "I really think Hitler would've been a great leader...if not for the whole genocide thing I mean!" Really, Hellfirewarlord?