Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you guys play on legendary? It's super annoying how skippy it is, autosaving after every action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Speaking of resettling, is there any disadvantage (besides vulnerability) to only using a lord to resettle? I realized that resettling was decimating the full armies I'd been using, so I started using smaller armies. I then realized that just sending a lord out to resettle takes 0 troops and doesn't drain his health. Is this costing me more gold, or have I optimized the process?
It costs you more gold. 2500 with no troops, reduced down by the number of troops you use.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

How do you guys play on legendary? It's super annoying how skippy it is, autosaving after every action.

I just play on VH cause gently caress that, I tend not to reload anyways.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ravenfood posted:

It costs you more gold. 2500 with no troops, reduced down by the number of troops you use.

Oh neato okay. I figured it couldn't possibly be as simple as I thought. I wonder if it's actually worth it to use troops, what with the added unit-healing upkeep and all.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay, playing yet another new Orc game with unitsizes set to Large now and uh, yeah thats.. a bit different. I might be confirmation biasing here but it does feel like my boyz are suddenly just better at their job than before. Also cav, both wolves and boars are having a way waaay easier time punching through those quarellers since they are now not formed up into fat bricks of hurt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So on max unit size settings, are buffs and debuffs going to be better than direct damage, and leadership skills more useful than combat buffs on Karl?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheChad posted:

I just play on VH cause gently caress that, I tend not to reload anyways.

Same. The only issue with VH Empire is that Skaeling/Varg gets retard strong if they're not getting constantly razed and sacked all along the coast. I've never been able to play a game as Empire without having a full stack or two running around razing their coastal cities to prevent doomstacks of full-gold dudes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Same. The only issue with VH Empire is that Skaeling/Varg gets retard strong if they're not getting constantly razed and sacked all along the coast. I've never been able to play a game as Empire without having a full stack or two running around razing their coastal cities to prevent doomstacks of full-gold dudes.

In one of my more recent VH Empire campaigns the Varg managed to wipe out the other Norsca factions and ended up with 19 settlements up north. That did not end well.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

KillerQueen posted:

So The Onion had some article about pope Francis being devoured by a shoggoth but I think this accompanying image just about sums up the Empire in this game:

Just wait until you get the playable Grand Theogenist lord as DLC.

Depending on which one it is the term "Battle Pope" will ring true. Doubly so if he goes off to fight chaos. Volkmar was basically the Pope if he was interested in curbing corruption, serving the well being of the people through compassion and generosity, and beating the ever-loving poo poo out of evil things from beyond the veil of reality. :black101:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Oh neato okay. I figured it couldn't possibly be as simple as I thought. I wonder if it's actually worth it to use troops, what with the added unit-healing upkeep and all.

I always use a single lord if I can afford it, followed by a stack to guard/keep public order up if need be. The problem with using troops is they instantly become useless for a few turns while you still pay for their upkeep. It's less than the full amount until they heal, but still a waste. If you're recolonizing in a dangerous area near the enemy, that's even worse. If it's in a peaceful area, those troops could be put to better use elsewhere. You could keep a stack of chaff (weak lovely units) around for the purpose, but the cost of that is probably close to 2500 unless you're VC with upgraded ghouls, and every turn you're paying maintenance for them.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So on max unit size settings, are buffs and debuffs going to be better than direct damage, and leadership skills more useful than combat buffs on Karl?

Yes to buffs and debuffs, not sure about Karl, depends how you like to play him.

VVVVV "Honest Steel" is a must have on any empire general including Karl.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

If you run through the entire Empire red path (leadership tree?) you can grant +12 Melee attack/defense bonuses to all your major troop choices. Most other factions only get +12 attack/charge bonus. Fully trained, empire troops actually stack up pretty well compared to everything else out there, aside from dwarves/chaos.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
With those bonuses, is it only the 'main' Lord that counts in a multi-stack battle, or does each Lord bring its own bonus?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think it's a bit overkill on the huge monsters (I usually just have 1 giant and 1 giant spider), but if you have the money it sure can't hurt. I also like having more artillery since the catapults get really good with some of the later tech advancements and have higher AP than the doom divers. 3-4 artillery pieces can do a lot of damage to the chaos armies that are pretty much forced to approach you.

I also think it's a bit of overkill on the line infantry, but if that's what you like it should work. I'd probably replace the fanatics with forest goblin spider rider archers and maybe replace some of your infantry with a unit or two of boar boyz (I like savage orc big 'uns myself).

Also try to squeeze a shaman hero into the mix. They have some really amazing buffs and debuffs that can really help turn the tide of a fight (particularly the AP related ones against chosen and chaos warriors).

Thanks! Going to try this for the rest of my stacks. Its a shame doom divers take so long to research and build, itd be great to field a load of them in the early game against other orcs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does the efficacy of artillery change with unit size? I mean you get a fourth mortar per unit, but it's still just one steam tank. And cavalry units would be more effective, as more mass?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Miruvor posted:

If you run through the entire Empire red path (leadership tree?) you can grant +12 Melee attack/defense bonuses to all your major troop choices. Most other factions only get +12 attack/charge bonus. Fully trained, empire troops actually stack up pretty well compared to everything else out there, aside from dwarves/chaos.

The +12 melee attack/defense seems huge in the red tree, but what other points are well spent there? The ward save for Demigryphs and Steam Tanks seems really good but it only applies to late tier units that you don't always bring a bunch of.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The missile unit skills give damage in the 2nd and 3rd levels. Combined with vet you can get Crossbowmen in to the high 30s and Quarrelers close to 50.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Middenland or Estalia for Gelt's second quest.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

rockopete posted:

The problem with using troops is they instantly become useless for a few turns while you still pay for their upkeep. It's less than the full amount until they heal, but still a waste.

I don't think this is accurate. You always pay full upkeep for a unit no matter its replenishment state. Think this has been the case since Shogun 2 at least.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Onmi posted:

Middenland or Estalia for Gelt's second quest.

Mine was in Estalia. However, the game might require you to do both regardless. I picked Middenland first, did a fight there, then had to make the trek down to Estalia regardless.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Does the efficacy of artillery change with unit size? I mean you get a fourth mortar per unit, but it's still just one steam tank. And cavalry units would be more effective, as more mass?

Single model units get HP changes with unit size.

Anyway though just play on Large. Everything is balanced around the player using Large unit sizes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Using it to resettle could be a fairly effective way of leveraging an obsolete army, I suppose. Resettle, then merge the units.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chomp8645 posted:

Single model units get HP changes with unit size.

Anyway though just play on Large. Everything is balanced around the player using Large unit sizes.

Yeah, I'm installing a new video card and I want to try cranking the settings and playing with lots of tiny mans

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fangz posted:

Using it to resettle could be a fairly effective way of leveraging an obsolete army, I suppose. Resettle, then merge the units.

Still probably not worth more than maybe one turn of upkeep to get them there.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

Reik posted:

The +12 melee attack/defense seems huge in the red tree, but what other points are well spent there? The ward save for Demigryphs and Steam Tanks seems really good but it only applies to late tier units that you don't always bring a bunch of.

The demigryph/steam tank one was the least useful I think, they're already hugely powerful, isn't needed. I picked up rank 3 in every other skill aside from the aura +% increase, fast cav boost and the demigryph/steam tank one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Miruvor posted:

The demigryph/steam tank one was the least useful I think, they're already hugely powerful, isn't needed. I picked up rank 3 in every other skill aside from the aura +% increase, fast cav boost and the demigryph/steam tank one.

Are those bonuses just in Karl's leadership range or are they map wide?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Did they mess with the Vampire Count mechanics since last i played? I can't see any battle markers where i can raise good dudes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Did they mess with the Vampire Count mechanics since last i played? I can't see any battle markers where i can raise good dudes.

You need to kill a LOT of dudes in a single battle to make them pop. They begin to show up at around 500-600 casualties for small unit sizes.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Take a bunch of zombies as chaff and let them get ground down if you want to pop a bunch of battle sites.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

McGavin posted:

You need to kill a LOT of dudes in a single battle to make them pop. They begin to show up at around 500-600 casualties for small unit sizes.

What about on Ultra unit size?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gonkish posted:

Pretty sure the VC legendary lord is gonna be Krell. Kemmler even has that quest where you discover his tomb. Plus, I mean, it'd give VC the tanky melee-focused LL they lack. (Although, in reality, Mannfred is all of that plus a caster, but still...)

I doubt it since that would mean you wouldn't be able to have Krell and Kemmler in the same army. It's probably Neferata or something.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gejnor posted:

Big 'uns, either in cav or non-cav mode, don't come with shields. You may as well stick with normal boar boyz imo, both have terrible stats overall but atleast the boar boyz won't melt under arrow fire. Also cheaper, earlier tier yadda yadda.

Also not sure what you mean by them being as good as a reiksguard, going by
http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/unit_compare/wh_main_grn_cav_orc_boar_boy_big_uns,wh_main_emp_cav_reiksguard
The reiksguard have super superiour stats, are you talking stuff like hidden mass weight or whatever?

You're right the big'uns dont have shields like the regular ones do, but I was talking about morale shock not stats compared to the Reiksguard

If you mouse-over the leadership bar of units in combat the tooltip will display what does what, some of the biggest leadership debuffs you can get before a unit is severely damaged is "Attacked from behind" and "Surrounded by stronger and faster units"

Your units dont have to have great stats to do the same leadership damage as other better shock cavalry, it just needs to be stronger and faster than the infantry they are attacking. So yes your Boar Boyz will never rout Reiksguard or Blood Knights but they are still going to give huge leadership penalties to all but the most-elite infantry

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dongattack posted:

What about on Ultra unit size?

2k were my smallest sites

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are those bonuses just in Karl's leadership range or are they map wide?

They're battle-wide. So if Karl is off punking some necromancer in the corner of the map, his troops still get the bonus. Also if you bring more than one general (like by having one reinforce), the bonuses don't stack.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Just as a reminder to anyone in the tournament, I'll be drafting up the matches by tomorrow evening and I still need a few lists for participants. If you signed up for the tournament, read this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post461766598

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Why on Very Hard and above does Kislev and the southern countries get randomized traits instead of passive? Do the enemy economy bonuses outweigh their relative power?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Also if you bring more than one general (like by having one reinforce), the bonuses don't stack.

But can they provide different bonuses? EG one lord granting Honest Steel and another granting Pistolcorps?

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I literally just started a campaign with Orcs on Hard and fuckin Grimgor won't stop getting fearful. I'm on turn 2 and have fought three battles with him in which he got more than thirty kills, and even on the third battle when he gets 80 kills he'll still get fearful. Also, if I don't release captives for this battle he already gets Harsh. What the gently caress, is the Trait system messed up? Two or Three battles shouldnt be enough for any trait, especially on turn 2

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The trait system is honestly just real loving stupid and I wouldn't at all mind just having it turned off entirely.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Traits would be cool if they made them a bit more indepth like Crusader Kings or whatever and let you have a bit more direct control over them. Right now they are just dumb as hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Yukitsu posted:

Just as a reminder to anyone in the tournament, I'll be drafting up the matches by tomorrow evening and I still need a few lists for participants. If you signed up for the tournament, read this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post461766598

I'm sorry, but going to drop out of this, having trouble with my internet connection (random disconnects) and I haven't figured it out yet, plus some RL issues may complicate my schedule. I apologize for the inconvenience. Posting this in the steam group, too.

• Locked thread