Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

checksin posted:

Has any Pocky and Rocky game been ported onto a modern console ever

Does the weird port/remake of the first Kiki Kaikai that showed up on GBA count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

checksin posted:

Has any Pocky and Rocky game been ported onto a modern console ever

Wii U VC has Pocky and Rocky with Becky if you're into that. Also they literally just announced the arcade version is coming to the PS4 Arcade Archives series in Japan, those usually come over here eventually.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I know this has been asked before (and promptly jijoved), but I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't implement cross-buy of any sort, aside from money.

Nobody should have to spend another $8 to play the same game they bought on the Wii U

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Willo567 posted:

I know this has been asked before (and promptly jijoved), but I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't implement cross-buy of any sort, aside from money.

Nobody should have to spend another $8 to play the same game they bought on the Wii U

They kinda did for the Smash DLC.

Better than absolutely nothing, I guess but drat if Nintendo's online offerings are not pretty terrible all things considered.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

absolutely anything posted:

there's also an english website full of fantastic westernized art http://www.ancient.co.jp/~game/gotta_protectors/

America has a lot to answer for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Willo567 posted:

Why not? Why would a 3DS virtual console purchase be playable on a completely separate console?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Why not? Why would a 3DS virtual console purchase be playable on a completely separate console?

Because it's the same game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PS4/Vita crossbuy is the best feature that nobody ever used because nobody owns a Vita

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

jivjov posted:

Because if I have a Nintendo Account, it should be able to track if I purchased the same game on one console, and allow me to download a version of it on the 3DS, or at least offer me a discount

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

You should have to buy separate Amiibos for Wii U and DS, Nintendo is sitting on a potential goldmine there, please hire me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not having crossbuy in 2016 is the dumbest thing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It can't even handle DLC crossbuy without asking you nicely to ferry codes from one device to the other.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not going to complain until I see what they do with the NX. Like how much will it cost to transfer over my vc purchases, and if the NX is a 'platform' does that mean these purchases will now be portable between different facets of said platform? I know it ain't happening on 3DS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cloks posted:

Because it's the same game.

The same game emulated on two different systems.

Willo567 posted:

Because if I have a Nintendo Account, it should be able to track if I purchased the same game on one console, and allow me to download a version of it on the 3DS, or at least offer me a discount

The older NNID and new Nintendo account systems definitely track your purchase and licenses. Nintendo just doesn't offer crossbuy except in a small handful of titles.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Augus posted:

PS4/Vita crossbuy is the best feature that nobody ever used because nobody owns a Vita

Also because it's actually kinda rare, even when games do have multi console versions.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

It can't even handle DLC crossbuy without asking you nicely to ferry codes from one device to the other.

Turns out the Portable NX really is an entirely different thing, but Nintendo couldn't figure out how to make cross-buy work on it without also calling it the NX

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I understand it. It doesn't excuse it, but making even small policy or technical changes is extremely difficult in any corporation, let alone a traditionally conservative Japanese one. I say this as an engineer for a conservative Korean corporation. It's extremely difficult to change the way something works Z and usually much more effective to make the policy you want something new from scratch in the next production system you upgrade to.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Amazingly for the time, the lottery game in Legend of the Mystical Ninja was biased towards the player and you could make a lot of money, unless you were absurdly unlucky, by playing it over and over with a turbo controller. I remember that my "lucky numbers" were always the Green Turtle and the letter 'B', but it doesn't really matter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No one says a word about Baseball Simulator 1000?

Dunno if nostalgia is worth $5 in this case, but that sure was an interesting game.

The Layton movie is very good. It perfectly captures the feel of the games. It is definitely worth the watch. Just make sure you have played game #4 first.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

I understand it. It doesn't excuse it, but making even small policy or technical changes is extremely difficult in any corporation, let alone a traditionally conservative Japanese one. I say this as an engineer for a conservative Korean corporation. It's extremely difficult to change the way something works Z and usually much more effective to make the policy you want something new from scratch in the next production system you upgrade to.

I mean they kind of redid the entire account system and had a chance to make it proper games-tied-to-account-not-hardware but they declined to take the opportunity. It seems more likely it's fear of piracy or something and not just Change Has A High Cultural Cost, even if that's (a large) part of it.

Any company worldwide it's going to be hard for people to want to stick out their necks to make things easier and better for their users with no probable additional revenue at the risk of something going wrong (rampant piracy loopholes for instance) that get them shitcanned. Nintendo are still assholes for not doing this, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Also because it's actually kinda rare, even when games do have multi console versions.

It's very common with indie/digital only games, very rare with full retail stuff.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

absolutely anything posted:

Wii U VC has Pocky and Rocky with Becky if you're into that. Also they literally just announced the arcade version is coming to the PS4 Arcade Archives series in Japan, those usually come over here eventually.

that game is not 2-player and is therefore not a true pocky and rocky game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mabels big day posted:

gotta protectors actually looks kinda neat

It's the sequel to one of the few XBLIG games that wasn't complete poo poo and it's made by the studio of the dude who did the music for Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Etrian Odyssey, etc so he got all his 80s composer buddies to write the music, it's pretty slick.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

checksin posted:

that game is not 2-player and is therefore not a true pocky and rocky game

the price we pay for becky is steep

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Boten Anna posted:

I mean they kind of redid the entire account system and had a chance to make it proper games-tied-to-account-not-hardware but they declined to take the opportunity.

Games have been tied to your account since the NNID rolled out a few years ago

I have to imagine MyNintendo/Nintendo Account will be much better integrated with the NX since it's coming out after the new account system premiered, rather than being an afterthought to an already established system.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That is not what he's talking about and you drat well know it.

"It's on your account" isn't worth a sandy gently caress if the account is tied to exactly one system of each class and the account can die if you remove it from any of them (!) without it promptly landing on another one. People want accounts and libraries that don't need a system of record to let the owner of the account hang on to it. You can go on about how Nintendo doesn't have to abide by anyone's standards until you're gasping, but as long as all their competitors of consequence let their accounts work that way and doing it is an unqualified benefit to the user Nintendo is letting its users down, and no amount of just-so garbage falling out of your keyboard will change that.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

"It's on your account" isn't worth a sandy gently caress if the account is tied to exactly one system of each class and the account can die if you remove it from any of them (!) without it promptly landing on another one. People want accounts and libraries that don't need a system of record to let the owner of the account hang on to it. You can go on about how Nintendo doesn't have to abide by anyone's standards until you're gasping, but as long as all their competitors of consequence let their accounts work that way and doing it is an unqualified benefit to the user Nintendo is letting its users down, and no amount of just-so garbage falling out of your keyboard will change that.

lmao

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

jivjov'd again.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

Games have been tied to your account since the NNID rolled out a few years ago

I have to imagine MyNintendo/Nintendo Account will be much better integrated with the NX since it's coming out after the new account system premiered, rather than being an afterthought to an already established system.

pls no troll

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhmuPKe6w4

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

x2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

baram. posted:

jivjov'd again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You can always call Nintendo and have them migrate your account for you if you need them to. Your NNID isn't going to just vanish into the ether if you don't do a system transfer. Just call the customer service line.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I would kill for cloud saves for downloadable titles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just gotta hope they don't gently caress it up and accidentally transfer it to nowhere.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I think Jivjov is just a plant by a joint Sony/Microsoft conspiracy to force Nintendo players to commit suicide.

"They are two games on different systems."

*eyes migrate to revolver*

"Your games have always been attached to your account."

*hand rests on revolver*

"Why would they let you have the same games on two 3DS's?"

BLAM!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The world would be a better place if we were all a little more jivjov

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Help Im Alive posted:

The world would be a better place if we were all a little more jivjov

I'm planning on offering a seminar soon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dr. Jivjov, Or: How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jivjov posted:

Just call the customer service line.

Oh boy I love dealing with customer service!!!(!!!)!