Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No poo poo Sherlock :v:

this literally applies to senran kagura and valkyrie drive, too, though, so let's not be too much holier than thou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Takoluka posted:

this literally applies to senran kagura and valkyrie drive, too, though, so let's not be too much holier than thou

Not exactly.

Deep Crimson had a lot of thought put on its mechanics, Valkyrie Drive too. The only "whimsical" mechanic included in the game is the Heart Catcher minigame and that only unlocks stuff for the dressing room.

I'll grant you Estival though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure there was a lot of deep thought sticking the camera in a really lovely place for T&A angles in a game with five million enemies on the screen, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not exactly.

Deep Crimson had a lot of thought put on its mechanics, Valkyrie Drive too. The only "whimsical" mechanic included in the game is the Heart Catcher minigame and that only unlocks stuff for the dressing room.

I'll grant you Estival though.

Deep Crimson's mechanics literally have less depth than most modern Dynasty Warriors games. That is not hyperbole or exaggeration. The characters in, say, Hyrule Warriors have more complex mechanics than Deep Crimson does. It also has giant anime titties so basically it wins on all fronts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:shrug:

Deep Crimson has more deep mechanics than Estival

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Deep Crimson's mechanics literally have less depth than most modern Dynasty Warriors games. That is not hyperbole or exaggeration. The characters in, say, Hyrule Warriors have more complex mechanics than Deep Crimson does. It also has giant anime titties so basically it wins on all fronts.

3DS games have a depth slider, so they can be as deep as you want them to be.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Deep Crimson has more deep mechanics than Estival

The word Deep is used more in Deep Crimson's title than in Estival Versus' so this checks out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

3DS games have a depth slider, so they can be as deep as you want them to be.

Nice

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm playing Estival Versus right now and I'm still shocked at how like half the roster just doesn't work in this game. There's all these characters with these cludgy as movesets that don't work in a Musou environment, like this new hammer chick.

Also that the plot revolves around like six characters and they have to bullshit excuses for the rest of them to have some kind of closure and get them out of the story, like hell I think I played characters like Shiki and Yozakura once before they had their finales. I'm almost done day 7 and I'm hoping it turns around some but so far this game's felt like Ryobi and Ryona's Excellent Heaven Adventure (featuring the cast of Senran Kagura).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Policenaut posted:

I'm playing Estival Versus right now and I'm still shocked at how like half the roster just doesn't work in this game. There's all these characters with these cludgy as movesets that don't work in a Musou environment, like this new hammer chick.

Also that the plot revolves around like six characters and they have to bullshit excuses for the rest of them to have some kind of closure and get them out of the story, like hell I think I played characters like Shiki and Yozakura once before they had their finales. I'm almost done day 7 and I'm hoping it turns around some but so far this game's felt like Ryobi and Ryona's Excellent Heaven Adventure (featuring the cast of Senran Kagura).

That is exactly what it is.

Although rather than featuring the cast of SK is "Featuring Yumi"

:argh:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I mean to be fair Ryona is my spirit animal so

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idgaf about the Estival Versus story, how does anyone care for what is a fanservice game in this series. It's all dumb justification and then it's revealed to be some alternate dimension nonsense, just like let me play as Shiki, Kat, Murakumo, and a few others and don't let the framerate drop and we're fine because the gameplay is decent enough to be mindless fun. Like there is an entire subplot about the Haruka, Hibari, and Yagyu love triangle and my eyes glazed over as I had to play three characters I hate playing, but at least the fuckin camera didn't suck and the game's framerate was consistent and it wasn't restricting me to a handheld and even the handheld it's restrict to has one screen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Estival's camera sucks big time though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It certainly does get in bad spots sometimes, but the fact that you can keep everything on the screen and it isn't fixed so it's genuinely better than this loving abomination.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

At the very least Yagyu is remotely fun to play and doesn't feel like I'm driving a goddamn shopping cart around. It's really amazing to go from characters like Asuka or Homura or Hikage who fly around like a buzzsaw and feel perfect for a Musou style game then switch it up over to Minori or Kafufu who make me want to die a little inside.

I wish one day they would actually decide what kind of game they want for the Versus series. Is it a Musou style or a character action style? Because news flash Marvelous you aren't Capcom and Senran Kagura isn't Sengoku BASARA. Learn to get one correctly first!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am convinced whoever makes these games is in love with Shizune, because she is flat out broken and she's available from the start. Literally everything she does busts every boss and enemy fight wide open and it is hilarious.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baal posted:

It certainly does get in bad spots sometimes, but the fact that you can keep everything on the screen and it isn't fixed so it's genuinely better than this loving abomination.

Thing is, you don't need to worry about the camera on Deep Crimson that is what the Chain Kunai is for. Estival on the other hand is a loving pain in the rear end on every stage that has background elements, so like 80% of the stages.

Policenaut posted:

At the very least Yagyu is remotely fun to play and doesn't feel like I'm driving a goddamn shopping cart around. It's really amazing to go from characters like Asuka or Homura or Hikage who fly around like a buzzsaw and feel perfect for a Musou style game then switch it up over to Minori or Kafufu who make me want to die a little inside.

I wish one day they would actually decide what kind of game they want for the Versus series. Is it a Musou style or a character action style? Because news flash Marvelous you aren't Capcom and Senran Kagura isn't Sengoku BASARA. Learn to get one correctly first!

The problem with Estival is that they focused on the multiplayer, and thus, most character were rendered useless in single player. The kicker is that the multiplayer is unbalanced as gently caress. Good thing we didn't got the Ikkitousen chars, they're an "I win button" Better than the rest of the cast in every way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thing is, you don't need to worry about the camera on Deep Crimson that is what the Chain Kunai is for.

Lol shut up, you don't need to worry about the camera in a loving action game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is the girl who uses rifles good at least

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

voltcatfish posted:

is the girl who uses rifles good at least

You'd think she would be, since she has guns, but no, she's pretty awful. Kafuru, the one with the dual water pistols, is pretty good, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I liked the water pistol girl after she leveled up enough, just finished the final battle on easy which I only did by standing far away and just plinking the final boss to death while she was distracted by my partner. Still shocked they made an entire game to put two C-team jerks over, and had no idea Rin and Daidouji were even in this game until after I broke the 80th tower and was told I unlocked their stories.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Did the SK thread get gassed?

Not complaining about talking about a Vita game in the Vita thread, just curious.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No this is just the usual "DT why are you so invested in something you mostly hate" session.
I think the SK thread is lower than this one on the gassing list since it barely gets bumped.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/751174934462955520

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

95% of the time it's a placeholder whenever this happens

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I'm going through the Vita section in the Big in Japan sale and keep hovering over Ar Nosurge Plus. I'm buying all the remaining Atelier Plus games I don't have yet, so I'm kind of on a Gust kick at the moment, and I've heard Ar Nosurge does some interesting story stuff and has amazing music, but has some crappy framerate issues. What do you think, Vita thread, is it worth £11.99?

Also, do we know if Atelier Shallie Plus is ever coming West? I'll gladly wait for the Vita version if it's coming, but if not I'll spring for the PS3 version at £10.99 so I can complete the Dusk series at some point.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

id pay what google tells me is 20 canada bucks for ar no surge, but i only played the ps3 version so i can't speak for the vita's performance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played the Vita version and it's on par with the Vita Atelier games, the framerate gets pretty rough in places but it's mostly fine, it's not a fast action game so.
I enjoyed it and it's definitely worth that price, but it's more a VN where you walk around and have to sometimes fight, especially on Normal where there's no challenge at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I played the Vita version and it's on par with the Vita Atelier games, the framerate gets pretty rough in places but it's mostly fine, it's not a fast action game so.
I enjoyed it and it's definitely worth that price, but it's more a VN where you walk around and have to sometimes fight, especially on Normal where there's no challenge at all.

you should still play on normal despite this though because bosses are wonkily balanced and sometimes end up being giant difficulty spikes on hard, and the game is real bad about letting you save before bosses so it's generally just becomes frustrating for a game that honestly doesn't even have good combat no matter what difficulty you play on.

boy when i type all that out it sounds like the game is crap but i actually liked it a lot, it's just far more enjoyable if you play on normal and treat it as a VN where you occasionally play a fighting mini-game since due to the weird encounter system you really don't spend much time fighting if you play on normal.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

thorsilver posted:

So I'm going through the Vita section in the Big in Japan sale and keep hovering over Ar Nosurge Plus. I'm buying all the remaining Atelier Plus games I don't have yet, so I'm kind of on a Gust kick at the moment, and I've heard Ar Nosurge does some interesting story stuff and has amazing music, but has some crappy framerate issues. What do you think, Vita thread, is it worth £11.99?

Also, do we know if Atelier Shallie Plus is ever coming West? I'll gladly wait for the Vita version if it's coming, but if not I'll spring for the PS3 version at £10.99 so I can complete the Dusk series at some point.

The framerate is bad, both in-battle and out, but the music is great, the story is interesting, the combat is more of a slight obstacle, since it's actually rather easy, barring some cheap shots on Hard (so just play on Normal or Easy). Just bear in mind that, as per Ar tradition, there'a a ton of reading and the Dive mechanic is still playing VN.

Also - if you care - I think there are some missable Trophies related to Endings that occur far into the game, so you might want to look them up, so as to know when to save to be able to go back.

Edit: although looking up the trophies might spoil some characters, and I don't remember when you're introduced to the whole cast.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 8, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bout to watch the last ep of cinderella girls. producer better tell this director to hit the goddamn bricks

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Thanks all for the detailed replies, think I'll give Ar Nosurge Plus a try then. On balance it seems worth £11.99, something wordy/story-focused and VN-ish and packed with great music sounds perfect for me right now.

On the negative side I'm gonna have to finally cave and buy a bigger memory card to fit all these digital-only JRPGs into my Vita. I'm in America from Saturday, so I thought maybe I could get a 64GB card cheaper there, but Amazon says $107?? loving hell

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol you'll probably be able to save money by buying one from the UK while you're in the US

64bit carts were only officially released in Japan so you have import poo poo on top of them already being stupid expensive.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Sakurazuka posted:

lol you'll probably be able to save money by buying one from the UK while you're in the US

64bit carts were only officially released in Japan so you have import poo poo on top of them already being stupid expensive.

Yeah the prices are just crazy. I'm tempted to give up and just get a 32GB, those seem to be actually cheaper in the US. I can fit double the anime over my current 16GB card, that's gotta be worth something

Meanwhile 64GB of storage for my 3DS cost me £10

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony hosed up with the Vita it's true

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Been playing Dangan Ronpa Happy Trigger Havoc this last week.
I'm really liking it. Made it to chapter 5. So far each murder has been pretty straightforward. The moment i saw the numbers behind Sayaka's body. I flipped the vita and deduced it was Leon. Then at the end of the trial, the game beats you over the head with it. The second case was pretty suprising. I thought Hina would die. But it was a fun case to solve, genocide Jill! I knew it was suicide when Sakura died. She had been acting to resolve this issue on her own. So now I'm trying to see if Kyoko has bit the dust. I'm not sure. the game made a point of hiding her hands with gloves. so the different nail polish on her vingers are a clue. I don't think Monukuma planted a bomb in everyone. Each victim didn't explode before. This is the case where i'm not sure what actually happened. This is going to be fun.

So this game is a trilogy right? So I should probably grab Dangan Ronpa 2 and 3 while they are on sale right now?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Do not buy Ultra Despair Girls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sefal posted:

Been playing Dangan Ronpa Happy Trigger Havoc this last week.
I'm really liking it. Made it to chapter 5. So far each murder has been pretty straightforward. The moment i saw the numbers behind Sayaka's body. I flipped the vita and deduced it was Leon. Then at the end of the trial, the game beats you over the head with it. The second case was pretty suprising. I thought Hina would die. But it was a fun case to solve, genocide Jill! I knew it was suicide when Sakura died. She had been acting to resolve this issue on her own. So now I'm trying to see if Kyoko has bit the dust. I'm not sure. the game made a point of hiding her hands with gloves. so the different nail polish on her vingers are a clue. I don't think Monukuma planted a bomb in everyone. Each victim didn't explode before. This is the case where i'm not sure what actually happened. This is going to be fun.

So this game is a trilogy right? So I should probably grab Dangan Ronpa 2 and 3 while they are on sale right now?

DR 2 is a game and you should play it, DR 3 only exists as an anime series that starts next week.

Do not play Ultra Despair Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Sakurazuka posted:

DR 2 is a game and you should play it, DR 3 only exists as an anime series that starts next week.

There is a DR 3 game coming too, but it doesn't have a release date or much info yet I think