Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

precision posted:

It ends up being much better than the pilot gave me reason to believe it would be. And I loved the pilot. So, yeah I'd say it's worth watching if you liked the pilot even a little.

Same here.

I liked the pilot a lot and then I though "well let us see if it keeps it". Instead it got better. I am now recommending this to everyone I know, best TV Ive watched in a while.

Season 2 is about to begin inst it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

It begins July 13. Speaking of which, it would be good to update the thread title with the new date.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i like how the ceo of evil corp. is the same actor as the brains of the conspiracy in rubicon. great actor.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

WaryWarren posted:

i like how the ceo of evil corp. is the same actor as the brains of the conspiracy in rubicon. great actor.

That guy has "sinister disguised by pretending to be addle-minded" down to a science.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Annual Prophet posted:

It begins July 13. Speaking of which, it would be good to update the thread title with the new date.

How do I do that? Edit Post doesn't let me change the title.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Spergatory posted:

How do I do that? Edit Post doesn't let me change the title.

I think you have to PM a mod to get it changed

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I need to rewatch all of s01 before new episodes start premiering!

It's 9pm CST starting the 13th, correct?

I'm really interested to see how they play with the Mr. Robot dynamic. I mean, Elliot knows that he's a figment of his imagination, so now I guess he's just like "eh that's cool this dude's pretty legit in his planning and whatnot anyway, might as well be a little crazy, right?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Based on how Season 1 played out, I think it's safe to assume none of us can predict how nutso season 2 goes.

Unless it pulls an Oprhan Black and just shits the bed, which I think is doubtful since in retrospect season 1 of OB gave plenty of hints that it was only gonna get worse as it went along.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If I see one more unskippable 30 second Amazon Prime ad for Mr. Robot on Youtube, I'm going to strangle someone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gret posted:

If I see one more unskippable 30 second Amazon Prime ad for Mr. Robot on Youtube, I'm going to strangle someone.

...YouTube has ads?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This show is in such a weird position. Its message is aggressively anti capitalist, but it's marketed in the most weirdly capitalist ways you can imagine. It's basically the encapsulation of what a capitalist thinks anti capitalism looks like; a bunch of edgelords trying super hard to look cryptic and cool and failing miserably.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spergatory posted:

This show is in such a weird position. Its message is aggressively anti capitalist, but it's marketed in the most weirdly capitalist ways you can imagine. It's basically the encapsulation of what a capitalist thinks anti capitalism looks like; a bunch of edgelords trying super hard to look cryptic and cool and failing miserably.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate representation of anti-capitalist "hacktivists" honestly. If anything the characters in the show are a lot more interesting and fun to be around than their real life counterparts.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the parts where its showing people hack and they flash through the front page of 4chan.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that I really noticed while I was marathoning the first season is that the the only member of fsociety that seems to have a genuine political grievance is Trenton. As she says, her parents were middle-class professionals that were forced into the lower class when they immigrated and are kept placid by the lack of police prosecution. Everyone else seems to be doing for the thrill of transgression/vandalism or simply see the whole thing as an intricate engineering puzzle. Even Elliot's basic motivation seems to be to have a meaningful life and do good in the world (though given he's not master of his own house, who knows what other motivations he has). It's also worth noting that Trenton is the only character that seems to be religious.

As for this next season, there's only two things I'm keeping in mind: first, revolutions usually succeed not because the insurgents overpower their enemies, but because the powers that be lose faith in themselves. Secondly, the crisis has just begun, and fsociety doesn't seem to have much control of events. At this point, I'd say things are not going to go the way anyone expects, and that the real movers and shakers of the struggle have yet to enter the game.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

https://www.facebook.com/WhoIsMrRobot/videos/1159412587459016/

This was just live on Facebook. It gives some insight on what happened with Elliot and Tyrell

Edit: Oh, and I noticed they sent this to the subscribers before the stream started, woo!

Badchay fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 7, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I guess Craig Robinson is gonna be in this season playing a guy named Ray.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
So I binged this last week and read the whole thread and something I thought was incredibly well done was when Elliot mentions that he hacked Gideon and he was basically a good guy. It was just very :3: I'm really glad I decided to watch this after enough recommendations from friends because I thought it looked pretty bad from the advertising. I think going to try to watch the next season more or less as it comes out and am excited to see where it goes!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Marshal Radisic posted:

The thing that I really noticed while I was marathoning the first season is that the the only member of fsociety that seems to have a genuine political grievance is Trenton. As she says, her parents were middle-class professionals that were forced into the lower class when they immigrated and are kept placid by the lack of police prosecution. Everyone else seems to be doing for the thrill of transgression/vandalism or simply see the whole thing as an intricate engineering puzzle. Even Elliot's basic motivation seems to be to have a meaningful life and do good in the world (though given he's not master of his own house, who knows what other motivations he has). It's also worth noting that Trenton is the only character that seems to be religious.

Elliot holds e-Corp as responsible for his dad's death from the radiation poisoning

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

siriuslysomething posted:

So I binged this last week and read the whole thread and something I thought was incredibly well done was when Elliot mentions that he hacked Gideon and he was basically a good guy. It was just very :3: I'm really glad I decided to watch this after enough recommendations from friends because I thought it looked pretty bad from the advertising. I think going to try to watch the next season more or less as it comes out and am excited to see where it goes!

It's definitely worth watching as it comes out week to week, just one of those shows that leaves you jonesing for the next episode and pumped when you finally get to start watching it.

kill me now posted:

Elliot holds e-Corp as responsible for his dad's death from the radiation poisoning

Definitely, as I imagine his sister must too, even though she hides it under her more cynical exterior. Hid blonde best friend also has legitimate grievances, though they have so far led her in the opposite direction.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Badchay posted:

https://www.facebook.com/WhoIsMrRobot/videos/1159412587459016/

This was just live on Facebook. It gives some insight on what happened with Elliot and Tyrell

Edit: Oh, and I noticed they sent this to the subscribers before the stream started, woo!

Thanks for this I was worried as I had not seen Tyrell in any of the trailers.

My one small question is about the last seen when the guy tells White rose he knows who is responsible. Do people think he is talking about Elliot or Tyrell, both? As white rose knows it is Elliot and these two hang out at the same club then why is he telling white rose this when it would be the other way around? Or are these two not on the same team? I always found it interesting this guy didn't seem to care so much about the hack and also with the info when Elliot told Tyrell the information would be encrypted with a password that would delete or something or other? Tyrell making a deal to become head CEO seems plausible in TV terms.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Spergatory posted:

so entirely true to life then

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

so entirely true to life then
Sad but true. This show is the che guevara t-shirt of hackivism.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
i mostly forgot what happened during last season, hopefully i can find a recap on youtube or something.

season 1 was awesome though, please dont pull a network tv thing where they gently caress it all up and end up cutting plot lines.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

im gay posted:

i mostly forgot what happened during last season, hopefully i can find a recap on youtube or something.

season 1 was awesome though, please dont pull a network tv thing where they gently caress it all up and end up cutting plot lines.

Season 1 Spoilers etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL1zlyRdAZM

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Season 2 Episode 1 is streaming live on the Mr. Robot Facebook page now:
https://www.facebook.com/WhoIsMrRobot/
edit: Over now. It was only shared/accessible to certain people.
edit2: Only part 1 (the first 30 minutes) was shown. More coming?

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 11, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It just started on Twitter. Looks like it's 43 minutes long.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spectracide posted:

Season 2 Episode 1 is streaming live on the Mr. Robot Facebook page now:
https://www.facebook.com/WhoIsMrRobot/
edit: Over now. It was only shared/accessible to certain people.
edit2: Only part 1 (the first 30 minutes) was shown. More coming?

Starts at 9PM (Eastern) on both USA's website and youtube.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh god that intro was sooooo good.

Edit: Yah, that was a good premier.

Max fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 11, 2016

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That was awesome!

The headshot and the throat slit freaked me the gently caress out.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
https://vimeo.com/174148258

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Oh poo poo is the whole thing gonna be 2 hours long?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Great first episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So I'm now pretty convinced that Elliot is Tyrell. I didn't believe it beforehand, because we've seen scenes with the two of them together and someone seemingly acknowledging both of them - but that could be just another symptom of Elliot's neuroses. One of the things that is constant throughout the show is the unreliability of Elliot as a narrator - whenever he is in the scene, you hear "Evil Corp" coming out of people's mouths. When he's not, it's "E-corp."

A similar thing could be happening whenever he is Wellick. I haven't figured out all the mechanics of how it would work, but I think it's there.

I know the show gets a lot of credit for doing hacking mostly right, and the major plotline involves financial revolution (and the difficulties of a revolution), but that's always been scaffolding for the main story to me, which is about mental illness. It occurred to me that the show could be doing something very new here. I've seen other entertainment about people with delusions and/or multiple personalities, but I don't think I've ever seen one narrated from the perspective of one of the "constructs." Perhaps the Elliot we see is a construct - not that Darlene isn't his sister, but that he's actually Wellick. Or that Wellick actually looks like Elliot. Basically, him being in "Allsafe" was mostly a delusion.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Probably. But I had to write it down somewhere, and now it's in your brain, so you're stuck with it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like that could be a possibility, but I wonder how you would reconcile that scene where Eliot met Wellick's wife at the end of the last season, or his meeting with Wellick way at the beginning of the show when he got ushured in to get a job offer with all the other lawyers in the room.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
There's no way Elliot and Tyrell are the same person. I'm pretty sure there's a scene in the show where Tyrell's secretary doesn't recognize who Elliot is.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

How much you wanna bet Tyrell is the one waiting for the CIO to drop off the money?

And why isn't that guy more worried about his dead wife?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If Elliot's Tyrell then they're going to end up more incoherent than even the most pretentious animes and JRPGs.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

There's no way Elliot and Tyrell are the same person. I'm pretty sure there's a scene in the show where Tyrell's secretary doesn't recognize who Elliot is.
Also you know Tyrell's wife not recognizing the father of her child. Elliot isn't a shapechanger. I would accept many twist, like Tyrell being his half brother on his father side or some poo poo linking them but working for two companies at the same time while leading a cyber terrorism group and having a wife on the side too is a little hard to believe.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Elliot and Tyrell being the same person would be very silly, but the scene between Elliot and Joanna is actually the only time I felt like they might actually go in that direction -- the entire scene felt like it could be reshot with Tyrell's actor in place of Elliot and still work as Joanna coldly trying to figure out who the hell her crazy husband thinks he is this time. Slightly less so once I learned what she was saying in Danish, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, if this were a worse show, I would believe it was possible.

• Locked thread