Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

your thread is bad though

people keep coming here because of how bad it is

you should work on improving your thread if you want people to post there

which would also make me happy, because then this thread would stay on topic more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Horrible posted:

which would also make me happy, because then this thread would stay on topic more

:agreed:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

zen death robot posted:

Counterpoint: you suck

Mr. Horrible's pretty rad actually

while i agree it would be nice to stay on topic and not get into stupid drama, i understand the frustration w/having to deal with a thread that's filled with drama instead

problem is, if you try to post about drama-prone stuff here, you'll just make this thread just as volatile

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I always assumed that each thread is populated with people of likeminded ideology. All of the left wing posters post in this thread, while center left posters post in another. If someone from either group cross threads, they will likely be uncomfortable as the entire thread will attack their opinion due to deviating from the norm.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

zen death robot posted:

People can make other threads too

nonsense only the government can do that for me :froggonk:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, in the interest of dragging things away from the Bernie v. Hillary holy war, who's looking good for a 2020 presidential run? I know this thread is traditionally focused on the legislative branch, which is a good and cool place to focus, but I'm curious.

I don't see Bernie running again, and Elizabeth Warren doesn't seem interested in the job. I've heard Feingold's name mentioned. Anyone else?

Of course we all know it's gonna be Kanye running in both parties simultaneously.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It will probably be Hillary Clinton, any speculation beyond that seems kind of pointless until after this election

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

zen death robot posted:

People can make other threads too

Can we have another Sanders thread? It'll get cultish and spammy but no one who isn't already itching to start poo poo will care.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Goetta posted:

It will probably be Hillary Clinton, any speculation beyond that seems kind of pointless until after this election

If Hillary wins I don't see anyone serious on the left primarying her in 2020 - unless she fucks up something big.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

If Hillary wins I don't see anyone serious on the left primarying her in 2020 - unless she fucks up something big.

Pretty much nothing but impeachment.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

And I fully expect Hillary's entire time in office to be plagued with constant attempts at impeachment.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to see a Hillary/Kanye debate

Please make this happen

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Breadallelogram posted:

And I fully expect Hillary's entire time in office to be plagued with constant attempts at impeachment.

I have it on good authority that she can work with republicans.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's very difficult these days to predict potential candidates 8 or even at times 4 years in the future. Plenty of rising stars fall while plenty of nobodies shoot up in popularity.

Remember Julian Castro?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Counterpoint: you suck

the frequency with which you post in the bad thread is a leading contributor to its badness

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Someone wrote a good thread on organizing over on the tweetbox:

https://twitter.com/prisonculture/status/751055069630623744

It might not resonate with everyone since it's coming from an implicitly anarchist angle, but I found it interesting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
if Jeb had just taken a shot of 5 hour energy every morning he'd be the gop nominee right now

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mr. Horrible posted:

i can only assume your definition of improvement is "kick out everybody with differing opinions" which is a nope

there's nothing wrong with this thread when it stays on topic but if it becomes a whine zone for people wishing they could have their sanders thread back then it's gonna get roughed up in the back alleyway

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Disagreement is fine but every time I click on a thread it is half filled with the most joyless unfunny posters on earth so why bother

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

logikv9 posted:

i can only assume your definition of improvement is "kick out everybody with differing opinions" which is a nope

there's nothing wrong with this thread when it stays on topic but if it becomes a whine zone for people wishing they could have their sanders thread back then it's gonna get roughed up in the back alleyway

Does "on topic" mean the name Bernie Sanders is forbidden? He's relevant to the discussion and I think my post yesterday about house dems booing him was relevant.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Breadallelogram posted:

Does "on topic" mean the name Bernie Sanders is forbidden? He's relevant to the discussion and I think my post yesterday about house dems booing him was relevant.

imo on topic is basically anything to do with progressive downticket candidates (either mentioned in the OP or not) and progressive political positions in general. so there was plenty of posting during the platform negotiations about how democrats want this and that but the progressive position is something else, and therefore democrats are dead. that's cool and fine.

for bernie, especially that post in particular it would really belong in the YCSed thread. often it's hard to separate him from whatever progressive political positions discussed ITT because he is the most visible progressive politician, but i'd rather keep him there anyway. if you start talking about him here en masse, then "his side" becomes holed up in this thread. this has the effect of both 1) loving over the actual point of both threads, because berniechat would eclipse all ITT and the dead candidate thread would become the dead candidate minus bernie for special reasons thread, and 2) creating two echochambers, one here and one in the YCSed thread with some crossshitposting in between.

what i'm trying to say is that thread tribalism is weird and bad

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

logikv9 posted:

imo on topic is basically anything to do with progressive downticket candidates (either mentioned in the OP or not) and progressive political positions in general. so there was plenty of posting during the platform negotiations about how democrats want this and that but the progressive position is something else, and therefore democrats are dead. that's cool and fine.

for bernie, especially that post in particular it would really belong in the YCSed thread. often it's hard to separate him from whatever progressive political positions discussed ITT because he is the most visible progressive politician, but i'd rather keep him there anyway. if you start talking about him here en masse, then "his side" becomes holed up in this thread. this has the effect of both 1) loving over the actual point of both threads, because berniechat would eclipse all ITT and the dead candidate thread would become the dead candidate minus bernie for special reasons thread, and 2) creating two echochambers, one here and one in the YCSed thread with some crossshitposting in between.

what i'm trying to say is that thread tribalism is weird and bad

Okay thanks for elaborating.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Goetta posted:

Disagreement is fine but every time I click on a thread it is half filled with the most joyless unfunny posters on earth so why bother

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Watching democrats boo Bernie is pretty telling. I wonder if incidents like that will influence his decisions in the coming weeks wrt endorsing Hillary and such. To me at least it highlights that trying to have a progressive 'revolution' inside the democratic party is pretty much pointless and useless.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

You guys should be nicer to Zen Death Robot. He is the only admin to actually tred these muddy waters and properly moderate. I doubt any of us could properly moderate this sub-forum.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ZDR is cool IMO

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

ZDR is cool IMO

Unlike certain other mods, he isn't biased. He slams down on fervent Bernie and Hillary supporters equally.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

He can slam down on me anytime.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I don't agree at all with ZDR title. :colbert:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ZDR is the only competent admin the forums has ever had.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

ZDR would be fine if he didn't melt down so much/didn't have such a fragile ego. He's not worthy to wield Mjolnir the banhammer but I'm sure he's good at his non-moderator duties.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reason posted:

Watching democrats boo Bernie is pretty telling. I wonder if incidents like that will influence his decisions in the coming weeks wrt endorsing Hillary and such. To me at least it highlights that trying to have a progressive 'revolution' inside the democratic party is pretty much pointless and useless.

considering the leaks about his endorsement coming tuesday came after he got boo'd I doubt it

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Poster known for inaccurate assumptions and poor reading comprehension read something and makes assumption.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Poster known for inaccurate assumptions and poor reading comprehension read something and makes assumption.

CSPAM.txt

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/751515589097717760

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Haha :wow:, that choice of picture

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Did the police send in a bomb squad robot to essentially bomb a person? That seems pretty hosed up.

Thought the police/swat/other agents had access to things like flashbangs, teargas, smoke grenades, etc...

E: relevant to topic because police reform is a progressive platform issue

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jul 9, 2016

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Did the police send in a bomb squad robot to essentially bomb a person? That seems pretty hosed up.

Thought the police/swat/other agents had access to things like flashbangs, teargas, smoke grenades, etc...

E: relevant to topic because police reform is a progressive platform issue

I didn't even think of that at first until I started seeing comments about incapacitating rather than killing the guy. I expect the incoming centrists to equivocate to feign a middle ground while pushing for more "blue lives matter" styled legislation because they agree much more with republicans than anyone to the left of them that a cop's power is sacrosanct and comes before the rights of the filthy poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

empireofcrime posted:

I didn't even think of that at first until I started seeing comments about incapacitating rather than killing the guy. I expect the incoming centrists to equivocate to feign a middle ground while pushing for more "blue lives matter" styled legislation because they agree much more with republicans than anyone to the left of them that a cop's power is sacrosanct and comes before the rights of the filthy poors.

well jarmak is a clinton supporter :v:

• Locked thread