Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Stop paying attention to the glowing rectangle

Start petting Tuna more

Yeah, right there, under the chin

Isn't this better than the rectangle

It is better than the rectangle, but it is extraordinarily difficult to do when I am asleep, which is the only time he does it (and also chews my glasses, which is a little less poetic justice). Point taken, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
We have nine cats. This is not our fault, they just show up and move in, except for two who were surrenders and one brought by a roommate, and two who were born here from one of the strays. So I guess it's our fault.

And they all got ear mites recently. We don't know where from, but probably from the tuxedo cat that hangs out in our yard. The desert is not conducive to mites so it has to be another cat, right?

It would be about $500 minimum to take them all in for treatment. That would be a real struggle. Are there any home remedies that work? They are so itchy, and we have to do something. And do we know the mites won't come back right away?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Croisquessein posted:

We have nine cats. This is not our fault, they just show up and move in, except for two who were surrenders and one brought by a roommate, and two who were born here from one of the strays. So I guess it's our fault.

And they all got ear mites recently. We don't know where from, but probably from the tuxedo cat that hangs out in our yard. The desert is not conducive to mites so it has to be another cat, right?

It would be about $500 minimum to take them all in for treatment. That would be a real struggle. Are there any home remedies that work? They are so itchy, and we have to do something. And do we know the mites won't come back right away?

Can't you just clean their ears out and get a fuckload of drops

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

You can get ear mite treatments at a pet store for about $10.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

OK, I've never treated ear mites before and my roommates insisted you have to take them to the vet, not sure why. I'll get on that. Thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When our cat who a friend was going to abandon came to us the vet squirted some crap in his ears which were full of mites and some kind of fungal deal and it cleared up by his recheck. It came out of a tube so I don't think it's real high tech but uh you might want to take them to the vet just in case.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sorry for the double post but what I really came to post was we just let go of our oldest and first cat mister Claire who had cancer that he hid from us very successfully until last week, when he couldn't hide it anymore. Hug your pets y'all. He lived a fabulous 13+ years, coming from the streets as a kitten to living in our apartment and teaching us the cat gospel. Because of him we saved 3 more cats and brought them into our home so far and have rescued and rehomed a few others. Hug your cats y'all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dogen posted:

Sorry for the double post but what I really came to post was we just let go of our oldest and first cat mister Claire who had cancer that he hid from us very successfully until last week, when he couldn't hide it anymore. Hug your pets y'all. He lived a fabulous 13+ years, coming from the streets as a kitten to living in our apartment and teaching us the cat gospel. Because of him we saved 3 more cats and brought them into our home so far and have rescued and rehomed a few others. Hug your cats y'all.

:glomp: I am sure he had an amazing life and he did Bast's work. Nothing to regret.

Edit: vets have access to witch-brewed ear treatments in addition to the topical "go gently caress yourself" antiparasite topical treatment.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
One of my cats has learned to say "treat" and "toys." "Mrrreeaw" and "mrrror". It's distinctly different and he gets happy when I do the appropriate behavior. Not so much a question but a :catbert:

And he obviously knows when I say myself "treat" or "toy"

Anyone else have weirdly smart cats?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

One of my cats has learned to say "treat" and "toys." "Mrrreeaw" and "mrrror". It's distinctly different and he gets happy when I do the appropriate behavior. Not so much a question but a :catbert:

Has your cat literally trained you?

I know we joke about it a lot but this actually sounds like Pavlovian response.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Has your cat literally trained you?

I know we joke about it a lot but this actually sounds like Pavlovian response.

If you can't recognize your cat's various cat noises for what they are, you are a bad cat owner

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My chatty tortie has a few distinguishable meows - there's 'I want pets, drop whatever you are doing and pet me now', 'I killed a toy, I am master hunter, be grateful', 'it's 4am, how are you doing', and of course 'I'M IN A CAR AND I DON'T LIKE IT'

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I just get the flat, loud MAAAAAAAAAH before breakfast

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Thin Privilege posted:

And he obviously knows when I say myself "treat" or "toy"

Anyone else have weirdly smart cats?

Both my two have the usual different meows for various things but Buffy is pretty smart (for a cat). When she was younger she worked out how to pull the lids off biscuit tins by hooking her claws at the edge and pulling. This only worked if the lid wasn't pushed on fully but still, made us learn to put the tin away. She knows where the catnip is kept, she knows which cupboard has cat food in it and so on.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
This article says that's pretty normal for cats. They only vocalize for the benefit of people, and each cat will learn different sounds as they get their people to respond to them.

That Article posted:

Cats and their humans develop a secret language of meows. Cats don’t really meow to communicate with other cats, Bradshaw said, which in itself is a pretty surprising little cat-fact. But in his observations of feral cats, he said, “you get a meow about once every hundred hours. They’re very silent.” And yet domesticated cats, as you know if you’ve got one, will often meow their little heads off, all day (and sometimes night!) long. “People think of it as an absolutely classic cat behavior … but it’s something they’ve learned to do to get our attention,” Bradshaw said. “It’s really something they’ve adopted as a way of communicating with humans.”

As such, there’s not exactly a universal cat language when it comes to meows. Rather, as Bradshaw writes in his book, “a secret code of meows … develops between each cat and its owner, unique to that cat alone and meaning little to outsiders.” This was demonstrated in a 2003 study by Cornell researchers, documented in Bradshaw’s book, in which they recorded meows from 12 cats in five everyday scenarios. They then played those recordings to pet owners, and found that only the owners could correctly decipher the scenario in which the meow was recorded. So cat owners can tell with some accuracy what message their cat is trying to get across via its meows, whether it’s feed me or I’m bored or whatever else, but “each meow is an arbitrary, learned, attention-seeking sound rather than some universal cat-human ‘language,’” Bradshaw writes.

So there's nothing "weirdly" smart about it, it's just regular old cat smart. Pretty neat!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Secret Cat Language

There's only one meow my cats share with each other, and it's more of a trilling chirp. I think it means, "Oh hey, I'm coming through, what's up?"

Usually when I'm doing something intensive Jonesy will walk into the room and give off a Mow-MOW, and I respond by mimicking that and he's usually good for a few minutes. He just wants me to acknowledge that he's in the room.

The little one only meows when she's bored. She stares at invisible goblins on the ceiling and let's out a distressed Myeehhh sound that means she wants me to play with her. It's like a little kid jumping on the office chair next to you and shouting, "Oh no, the floor's made of lava now and we have to save the kingdom from the bad guys!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My old cat wasn't very vocal, he just had a "my food dish is empty!" and a "open this door!" meow. Except when he'd sit watching out the windows. He had distinctly different sounds he'd make to announce anything that wasn't a songbird or a squirrel: he'd make specific noises for foxes, rabbits, hawks, deer, and raccoons.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
My cat has lots of different meows and growls. My favorite is what i call the big ear meow. She meows and using her whole body and her ears go from flat to pointy. It is her I am telling you something very important meow.

Does anyone else cats meow in their sleep?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Huntersoninski posted:

This article says that's pretty normal for cats. They only vocalize for the benefit of people, and each cat will learn different sounds as they get their people to respond to them.

So there's nothing "weirdly" smart about it, it's just regular old cat smart. Pretty neat!

Cool, I didn't know that! So my cats ARE manipulating me :catstare:

The blue bunny posted:

My cat has lots of different meows and growls. My favorite is what i call the big ear meow. She meows and using her whole body and her ears go from flat to pointy. It is her I am telling you something very important meow.

Does anyone else cats meow in their sleep?

Not meowing but my one cat who loves to chase the other cats twitches her paws and whiskers VERY intensely in her sleep. I assume she's chasing the other cats in her dreams because I don't allow her to do it in real life.

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014
I know this thread is always in favor of "more cats," so here goes.

My S/O and I are thinking of getting another cat. We have one, female, longhair, ~2 years old. She's pretty chill but has some energy to play and we figured she might like a companion. She's had some little tiffs and posturing with my parents' adult male cat (despite proper introduction), though they eventually calmed down.

What kind of cat should we get / what age range should we look at? Our ideal cat would be very similar -- a cuddly lap cat that's also low-key, and works well with other cats. I would love to rescue an older cat from a shelter, but I'm wary of the health problems they can develop and I heard that introducing an adult cat and a kitten is easier. A kitten would also be more similar in age and activity level, although I'm well aware they're assholes. I'm on break from school for a bit, so I do have time to make proper introductions for them if I adopt in the next month or so.

Also, how can we pick a cat that will fit the personality type we want? (Or if we end up with a younger cat, how can we encourage it to end up that way?)

I'm aware that most of the time with cats you just kind of get whatever the cat wants to do, even with careful planning, but would really appreciate any and all advice and stories, thanks!

Edit: she just leapt to pounce on an errant sock, flopped over, knocked her water bowl on its side, rolled in the puddle, then ran crying under the bed. Okay.

asiperi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 9, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's been about six months since we lost a cat to kidney disease at the ripe old age of nine months. Since then our older cat, who is about seven, has been a bit more restless, bored and whiny. So we decided he could use some company again and went to the shelter and got a kitten.

However I'm a bit worried about her since she doesn't seem very interested in eating, She doesn't seem to be sick as she is very active, constantly running around and playing in-between naps. We got some dry kitten food that she will eat but she isn't very interested in it so we tried wet food and meat but she was even less interested in that. I did manage to get her to eat a bunch last night by literally handfeeding her the dry food one bit at a time and then this morning she ate about half the bowl for breakfast but she hasn't touched the food since. Maybe she was only fed during the mornings in her foster home and is still living according to that scheduale or maybe she's just nervous about having a new home and doesn't have any appetite. Last time we had a kitten we had the exact opposite problem where she would devour entire bowls of food in moments and frequently steal food from the older cat, sometimes literally from right under his nose as he was bending down to eat. So maybe she's just a really temperate. I'm taking her to the vet on monday to make sure she's alright though. I would take her earlier but nothing is open except for extreme emergencies and this doesn't quite count.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
So, my grumpy cat is still grumpy with us, but less so. The vet said she is physically totally fine, so basically we will just coddle her along for awhile and hope she eventually forgives us and comes to grudgingly love us once again.

However, at the vet visit we discovered she is STILL overweight! She's 10 lb and should probably be closer to 8, says the vet. We feed her the vet-recommended reduced-calorie food in the (meticulously measured) amount that should deliver the correct calories to bring her down to her ideal weight, and we've been doing so for a couple of months now with no result. She's not getting fatter, but she's certainly not losing weight. What are we doing wrong? We don't feed her treats and she doesn't go outside so the only supplement to her diet is the occasional bug she catches around the house.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gotta get that cat moving.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Dogfish posted:

So, my grumpy cat is still grumpy with us, but less so. The vet said she is physically totally fine, so basically we will just coddle her along for awhile and hope she eventually forgives us and comes to grudgingly love us once again.

However, at the vet visit we discovered she is STILL overweight! She's 10 lb and should probably be closer to 8, says the vet. We feed her the vet-recommended reduced-calorie food in the (meticulously measured) amount that should deliver the correct calories to bring her down to her ideal weight, and we've been doing so for a couple of months now with no result. She's not getting fatter, but she's certainly not losing weight. What are we doing wrong? We don't feed her treats and she doesn't go outside so the only supplement to her diet is the occasional bug she catches around the house.

Your cat's sneaking biscuits from the tin.

Nah, but what SynthOrange says, she probably just needs to exercise more.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so here's Saavik, five months since I adopted her:

I fractured my heel about five weeks ago and have had people helping me out. She freaked out at first, but she's doing much better with strangers coming and going.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Managed to get the kitten to eat by crouching by the bowl and putting my finger in it. She ate almost the entire bowl in moments. She's probably just nervous about being in a new place with new people and a strange cat lurking beyond the door.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Managed to get the kitten to eat by crouching by the bowl and putting my finger in it. She ate almost the entire bowl in moments. She's probably just nervous about being in a new place with new people and a strange cat lurking beyond the door.

That sounds about right. I have to touch one of my cat's dry food for her to be interested in it. Weirdos.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Gotta get that cat moving.

It's so obvious and yet I missed it completely.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so here's Saavik, five months since I adopted her:

I fractured my heel about five weeks ago and have had people helping me out. She freaked out at first, but she's doing much better with strangers coming and going.

My goodness, I thought you stole my cat for a second! She looks just like my Athena. She's the one I posted about earlier in the thread with the constant near-growl going on. She's not doing that anymore, but I've figured out since then that she just growls when she's even slightly miffed about anything. She growls whenever I pick her up to take her out of the bathroom or have to move her because she's laying on my phone or if another cat wants to sit on the bed with us. No struggling or anything, just growling. I'm so glad she decided to be my kitty :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

MrSlam posted:

That sounds about right. I have to touch one of my cat's dry food for her to be interested in it. Weirdos.

Same, I adopted a feral cat who wouldn't eat for 2.5 days, I was worried so put the tired bastard on my lap, put some canned food in my hand and he swallowed it.

Backstory: the shelter rarely give out ferals but they did to me because at the shelter instead of hiding in a hole in a wall like he always was doing, he actually came out and chilled in the room with me. Now he's the lappiest of lap cats. Weird cat bond from the very beginning, cats are loving weird.

e: cause he was feral I'm sure he was eating human food out of the trash because he goes crazy and desperately begs for garbage like cheap rotisserie chicken, lunch meat, and McDonalds.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 10, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dogfish posted:

It's so obvious and yet I missed it completely.

Try a laser.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

SneakyFrog posted:

Try a laser.

Lasers are the best, I get shocked at how loving fast and quick they are.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Thin Privilege posted:

Lasers are the best, I get shocked at how loving fast and quick they are.

I feel like I have the only cat with zero interest in chasing a laser :/ She will watch it dart around with mild interest, then get bored.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

Try a laser.

She loves flashlight tag so a laser might be a logical upgrade. She and my husband play "kill the string" nightly but I think we need to introduce a second workout into her days.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

I feel like I have the only cat with zero interest in chasing a laser :/ She will watch it dart around with mild interest, then get bored.

Nah my cat is like that too. I got a second cat and now the first cat watches in bemusement as the second cat plays delightedly with the thing that is obviously empty light that can't be caught and is therefore boring and not worth chasing.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My cat chased the laser for maybe a minute before staring directly at the source of the light. After that, she'd just look directly at me when I tried to use it. Not successful.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

How do I prepare my kitten for us going away for a few days?

Background: Spooky is 14 weeks old and finally over 2 pounds. We rescued her about six weeks ago and she has been the chillest kitten I've ever seen. She's due for her last round of kittens shots (including rabies) about a week before we leave, has no health problems, and in all respects is happy and healthy.

I'm just very nervous about leaving her. We have two friends who live nearby who will provide for all her needs and play with her while we're gone, but I worry about the rest of the time she'll be unsupervised. She's never been alone in the apartment for more than a few hours and I think the loneliness might make her destructive. She's a chill kitten, like I said, but isolation drives anyone a bit crazy.

Am I being too worried? Will this scar my kitten for life so she never trusts again? Should I smuggle her on the trip with me in a coat? Bribe my friends to keep her at their places? I just don't know what the least stressful thing to do for her is.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tiny Deer posted:

How do I prepare my kitten for us going away for a few days?

Background: Spooky is 14 weeks old and finally over 2 pounds. We rescued her about six weeks ago and she has been the chillest kitten I've ever seen. She's due for her last round of kittens shots (including rabies) about a week before we leave, has no health problems, and in all respects is happy and healthy.

I'm just very nervous about leaving her. We have two friends who live nearby who will provide for all her needs and play with her while we're gone, but I worry about the rest of the time she'll be unsupervised. She's never been alone in the apartment for more than a few hours and I think the loneliness might make her destructive. She's a chill kitten, like I said, but isolation drives anyone a bit crazy.

Am I being too worried? Will this scar my kitten for life so she never trusts again? Should I smuggle her on the trip with me in a coat? Bribe my friends to keep her at their places? I just don't know what the least stressful thing to do for her is.

no. it will be fine. just make sure whoever keeps an eye on catte plays and that cat has toys to provide stuff to do.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
An extension of my earlier question about moving cross-country with two cats. I bought this on amazon, but I'm worried it may be too small for two decent-sized (about 15 lbs each) cats (especially with a small litter box in the container). Can anyone recommend any other carriers to transport both of my boys together? From measuring my backseat, I can go up to 50 inches wide x 21 inches deep x 28 inches tall.

Nickelodeon Household fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Cat laser update: She has figured out that I am somehow the source of the light, and intermittently stops chasing it to look at me reproachfully and give a disappointed meow, as if to say, "You could stop this if you chose to." Then she goes back to chasing it, resigned to her duty to catch the uncatchable.