Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Eh, it's a super cheap place to live. v:shobon:v:

And it's improving. Which is also driving up rents and home prices, unfortunately. But for now, still relatively cheap, and easy commutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate the heat, I literally have a portable AC in my room so I can keep it ten degrees colder than the rest of my house.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

MariusLecter posted:

Austin is just lucky?
And I'm walking all day in this poo poo. :sweatdrop:
I'm in Austin though, off South Lamar. And god, that sounds horrible. I was pouring sweat after walking two blocks yesterday afternoon.

zoux posted:

I hate the heat, I literally have a portable AC in my room so I can keep it ten degrees colder than the rest of my house.
Also using multiple AC units at home. The dog likes to hang out near the door to my room to cool off. Sheds all over.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ReidRansom posted:

And it's improving. Which is also driving up rents and home prices, unfortunately. But for now, still relatively cheap, and easy commutes.

Pretty much covers most of my reasons too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

Whoa I should get this. My room gets really hot. How much does it affect your electric bill?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

blue squares posted:

Whoa I should get this. My room gets really hot. How much does it affect your electric bill?

I've done the same thing for my son's computer room. Its at the front of our north facing house so gets hit with sun all morning. I saved maybe $30 a month last year, but I had other people in the house who wouldn't let me set the AC temp higher than 76. I am hoping to save more this summer. I'm currently keeping the house at 80 during the day (we have ceiling fans in every room) and I run the portable ac in the computer room for a half hour or so every couple hours. Luckily its just me and my youngest at home right now,so I have more control over the thermostat.

I run the house at 75 in the evening after 7pm. No need for the portable after that.

I do highly recommend having one. They are loud, but you get used to it and can always use headphones when on a computer.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My apartment is set at 81 right now, then I bring it down to 78 at night to sleep.

My only options for a meal are to turn on the stove or do several flights of stairs and a two mile bike ride to Whataburger. Send help

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm choosing the burger, may God give me strength

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've lived in the south all my life. I've gone from Louisiana to Texas, all I know for 'heat' is this muggy, wet, heat and humidity.

I still can't loving stand it. Every goddamn summer I curse God for making my home area a swamp that's somehow also on fire.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
powertochoose.org people. Run your A/C at whatever you drat well please because there's likely a provider on there that'll cut your bill by a lot.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I live in an apartment complex that controls the a/c from the front office

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

I actually did a test with one of those killawatt things and I used about 60ish kWh per week running it at 65 degrees for 12 hours a day. So it costs about 30-40 bucks a month with summer prices but you have to consider that you can save money by keeping the rest of the house hotter. I could do a bunch of research and math and get an exact figure, but it'd be worth it to me if it just straight added $40 bucks to my bill so I'm not concerned with how much I'm saving from not running the central AC as much. You do have to vent it to the outside, it comes with a kit to fit the vent to a window. I have vertical sliding windows and I'm on the second floor, otherwise I'd have just gotten a window unit, which tend to be cheaper, if much uglier. I got a 10k btu unit for $340, but you can find 6k btu window units for less than $200.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

I actually did a test with one of those killawatt things and I used about 60ish kWh per week running it at 65 degrees for 12 hours a day. So it costs about 30-40 bucks a month with summer prices but you have to consider that you can save money by keeping the rest of the house hotter. I could do a bunch of research and math and get an exact figure, but it'd be worth it to me if it just straight added $40 bucks to my bill so I'm not concerned with how much I'm saving from not running the central AC as much. You do have to vent it to the outside, it comes with a kit to fit the vent to a window. I have vertical sliding windows and I'm on the second floor, otherwise I'd have just gotten a window unit, which tend to be cheaper, if much uglier. I got a 10k btu unit for $340, but you can find 6k btu window units for less than $200.

Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it in my small apt. Thanks for the info, though!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Do you sit around your house in a jacket and jeans or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Window units get cheaper than $200, they're almost certainly worth it in any situation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you sit around your house in a jacket and jeans or something

I can't fall sleep if I'm at all hot but I also can't fall sleep without blankets. I'm a real lovely fall asleeper. Excellent stay asleeper though. Extremely good go back to sleeper as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

I can't fall sleep if I'm at all hot but I also can't fall sleep without blankets. I'm a real lovely fall asleeper. Excellent stay asleeper though. Extremely good go back to sleeper as well.

Oh dude I'm the same way. I need to have at least a sheet on but if I'm like, barely hot I just can't get comfortable, but yea when I finally do sleep I'm pretty primo at being out like a goddamn log.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blue squares posted:

I live in an apartment complex that controls the a/c from the front office

This was a joke designed to elicit horrified reactions but the fact that no one said anything makes me wonder if such terrible things actually happen.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blue squares posted:

This was a joke designed to elicit horrified reactions but the fact that no one said anything makes me wonder if such terrible things actually happen.

jesus christ i believed you without even blinking

my first thought was "and i bet they keep it too low, too"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

blue squares posted:

I was confused but too distracted by something else to post about my confusion

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

I thought maybe it was like an on campus thing

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

blue squares posted:

I used to live in a dorm on Texas Tech campus that had no AC, only a heater unit, for three years. I moved out in 2008/9 when they finally added AC to the building.

As horrifying as your idea was, I could totally see it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

What's driving up rents is the 25x25 program and everyone and their mother trying to build new housing for the students.

And re: the mosque, yeah basically half of my friends were talking about that today (because they're Muslim or friends thereof).

Looking at the article, that's actually my friend's photo from Facebook they have linked too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat. I keep my house at 71. Bill is never more than 200, maybe 220 a month tops. Worth it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm at like $52 :stare:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PostNouveau posted:

powertochoose.org people. Run your A/C at whatever you drat well please because there's likely a provider on there that'll cut your bill by a lot.

Some of us don't get that choice.

I wish Austin Energy was a proper co-op instead of being City Council's secret piggy bank via the General Fund Transfer. Paying 11¢ per kWh suuuucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My full utility bill got into the $600s at my old house in July and August.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My thermostat goes to 84 during the day, 80 at 7pm, and 78 at 1030pm.

Still spending $180 per month on electricity for ~1400sqft of conditioned space thanks to a 15 year old AC with ducting in the attic and 60 year old insulation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

My thermostat goes to 84 during the day, 80 at 7pm, and 78 at 1030pm.

Still spending $180 per month on electricity for ~1400sqft of conditioned space thanks to a 15 year old AC with ducting in the attic and 60 year old insulation.

Christ Almighty

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I used to live in a dorm on Texas Tech campus that had no AC, only a heater unit, for three years. I moved out in 2008/9 when they finally added AC to the building.

As horrifying as your idea was, I could totally see it.

Hahaha, you lived in the on-campus dorms for three years?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Some of us don't get that choice.

I wish Austin Energy was a proper co-op instead of being City Council's secret piggy bank via the General Fund Transfer. Paying 11¢ per kWh suuuucks.

I'm on Pedernales next door. I pay a flat $22.50 every month, plus roughly $.0875/kwh. If it weren't for the flat fee, I'd be doing pretty well. I got a $.012 reduction because I only used 361kwh in May, but it was rainy as gently caress.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My bill is only $40 a month :smuggo:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Top floor definitely doesn't help. I wonder how redneck the complex will let me get away with; some foil-coated insulation panels in my NW-facing windows would help. I already strung up red chili pepper lights so I'm probably pushing it

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/DFWscanner/status/751229507055431680

https://twitter.com/roadmonkeyone/status/751232201665249280

https://twitter.com/DFWscanner/status/751234992030691329

:catstare: That escalated quickly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
At the blm rally in Dallas. poo poo is going crazy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EwokEntourage posted:

At the blm rally in Dallas. poo poo is going crazy

Get out of there. poo poo is going down.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/allisongriz/status/751234755882995713

Not a one off shot. Someone is really trying to light people up. gently caress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus loving christ

edit

multiple police shot, suspect rumored to be in tactical gear

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twitter is a goddamn cesspool right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I can't find anything about it on news websites except for "two officers reportedly shot, injuries unknown."