Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bonds0097 posted:

If you're concerned about temps and times, etc. The easiest thing to do is use something like the ChefAlarm w/ a waterproof temp probe to alert you when your meat's core reaches temp and then just start a timer. I do that when I'm in a hurry and want to pull the meat out as soon as it's ready (rather than just leaving it for 2 hours or so).

Does the probe keep a seal around the hole in the bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Does the probe keep a seal around the hole in the bag?

There are probes that will do that (i.e. the probe in this kit http://www.thermoworks.com/Therma-K-Sous-Vide-Kit comes with foam tape), I typically just use it with zip-locs and have it poke out through the top while keeping the meat submerged.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, flipping more frequently will give you even better results. I think Kenji flips every 20 seconds or so.

Also I think Kenji has replaced Alton Brown as the go to "X says..." around here.

Kenji flips every 10 to 15 seconds IIRC, as I did it following his tenderloin recipe in the Anova app (he also says resting is not necessary).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Meathead Goldwyn (the guy behind AmazingRibs.com who also just came out with a book on cooking meat), Greg Blonder (scientist) and Antonio Mata (food scientist) did some testing and say resting is a myth:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for all the searing feedback. I thought I had it hot enough to the point where I was thinking "ok I unplugged the kitchen smoke detector but uhhhh is the other one in the living room gonna go?" but I didn't pre-heat the cast iron in the oven or anything, I just put some veggie oil on and put it on the largest, highest stove burner I have for five minutes. I added the butter after only a couple minutes though, maybe I didn't wait long enough for that and it screwed something up. Or maybe vegetable oil's not right for the task?

I dunno I think it looked delicious, don't judge me :saddowns:

While I'm at it, Chemmy you mentioned not putting on pepper before the sear? Why not?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for all the searing feedback. I thought I had it hot enough to the point where I was thinking "ok I unplugged the kitchen smoke detector but uhhhh is the other one in the living room gonna go?" but I didn't pre-heat the cast iron in the oven or anything, I just put some veggie oil on and put it on the largest, highest stove burner I have for five minutes. I added the butter after only a couple minutes though, maybe I didn't wait long enough for that and it screwed something up. Or maybe vegetable oil's not right for the task?

I dunno I think it looked delicious, don't judge me :saddowns:

While I'm at it, Chemmy you mentioned not putting on pepper before the sear? Why not?

It looked nice but if it is a bit hotter, it will be even more brown and you get more delicious maillard. Make sure you use something like canola oil for the high smokepoint. But in the end, all that counts is that you liked it.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Pepper will burn at the really high temps.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I also just realized I forgot to pat dry the steak before I seared it so that probably contributed. Oops :v:

Think I'll try again tonight with a cheaper cut of beef, see if I can improve on what was already the most delicious steak I've had in like a decade; in ever if you only count my cooking.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Ciaphas posted:

I also just realized I forgot to pat dry the steak before I seared it so that probably contributed. Oops :v:

Think I'll try again tonight with a cheaper cut of beef, see if I can improve on what was already the most delicious steak I've had in like a decade; in ever if you only count my cooking.

Yeah, drying it with be a huge help.

I definitely suggest trying more inexpensive cuts- part of the appeal of sous vide is that you can make really cheap pieces of meat eat like they're way more expensive.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

At searing temps you'll burn the pepper. Put it on when you're done.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Chemmy posted:

At searing temps you'll burn the pepper. Put it on when you're done.

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. I must have had burned pepper hundreds of times in blackened fish or whatever, and it always seemed to just become part of the crust and still taste peppery. Why is it no good in this case?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think I'll puddle some chicken breast tomorrow. Any tips how to make it awesomer than just bagging the plain chicken?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Hopper posted:

I think I'll puddle some chicken breast tomorrow. Any tips how to make it awesomer than just bagging the plain chicken?

I add some salt, minced garlic and thyme. Simple. I also get skin on breasts and sear it at after.

Some guy here ITT did Hainanese whole chicken but I used his recipe for a breast(with skin) and it came out great.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Two of us have done hainanese chicken. The next time I do it I think I'm going to skip pureeing the garlic and just mince and then brown it lightly. Puree garlic is really strong.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

hogmartin posted:

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. I must have had burned pepper hundreds of times in blackened fish or whatever, and it always seemed to just become part of the crust and still taste peppery. Why is it no good in this case?

A lot of the flavor in black pepper comes from volatile oils which are immediately vaporized by the high heat. This is the same reason why freshly ground pepper has more flavor than pre-ground - because the oils are released at the grounding stage before packaging and have more time to degrade before you use it, and also because pre-ground pepper berries are usually ground at high temperature. It's not that burnt pepper has no flavor, but fresh ground unburnt pepper has more flavor, and a more pleasant flavor at that.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Any more Anova coupons floating around? Wanna get one for Mom for her birthday.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Hopper posted:

I like thyme and lemon slices.

I'll usually make a marsala sauce or something like that to go with sv chicken breast.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

namaste faggots posted:

Two of us have done hainanese chicken. The next time I do it I think I'm going to skip pureeing the garlic and just mince and then brown it lightly. Puree garlic is really strong.

Well I'm gonna make it three soon because that poo poo looks really loving good

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

One of the issues with garlic and sous vide is that the volatiles are trapped in the bag, greatly intensifying the flavor.

Though I suppose browning before hand could mitigate that significantly?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Save me jeebus posted:

anova-t94tts48

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wish I'd thought to ask for a coupon here before I bought in :v:

I'll probably be trying chicken breasts this weekend, too--skin off and skin on--and batching for storage if it goes well. If I cook a batch for storing in the freezer, I have to give it an ice bath first, right? In the skinned case do I take it out of the SV bag and sear it first or do I chill then freeze it un-seared? For reheating would I SV in the same bag again (for less time?) or microwave, or does it not matter much?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

anova-t94tts48

Thanks homie!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Save me jeebus posted:

anova-9a2b452a in case anyone else needs one.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
anova-de4fs7eb

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Are there any good sources for sous-vide fish recipes? A nice filet of fish is a protein that's very easy to over- or under-cook, so sous-vide with a pan-sear finish seems perfect for it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Try the anova recipe database, it contains good recipes for everything:
http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the one hand, scrambled eggs cooked sous vide is pretty drat delicious and not a dried out hot mess like my eggs usually are. On the other, that was a lot of faff for some bloody scrambled eggs :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

hogmartin posted:

Are there any good sources for sous-vide fish recipes? A nice filet of fish is a protein that's very easy to over- or under-cook, so sous-vide with a pan-sear finish seems perfect for it.

Fish, sous-vided is the best loving thing. Better than steak. Yes I went there. There is no better way to perfectly cook fish. Especially white fish like cod or snapper. Here's three different things I do:

1) cantonese style - http://rasamalaysia.com/steamed-fish-recipe/2/ Basically the key is to brown some ginger. Yes, you can brown ginger and it is delicious and has a delicate buttery taste. Then chuck in some scallions, sesame oil, sugar (very important), fish sauce, soy sauce, cilantro (if you're one of those pussies that hates cilantro then I cordially invite you to choke on some captain highliner). This sauce goes with SV'd trout, cod, snapper, salmon. I'd probably refrain from catfish.

2) Garlic milk sauce. I just kinda made this up. Brown some sliced garlic; don't burn it otherwise it's gross. Take out the garlic and the oil you fried it in and pour it into a bow. Pour in some whipping cream and bring it to a boil. Don't burn the cream. Make sure you keep mixing it until it boils. Then turn the heat down and pour in your garlic and oil. Pour it over your fish. I've done this with snapper and it's delish. Snapper is kinda fishy but this sauce totally dampens it.

3) My partner loves this but it's a simple butter and lemon sauce. Just melt the butter and mix in some lemon zest. meh white people.

One lousy thing though. If you like your food piping hot, sv'd fish is probably not for you unless you torch it after the puddling.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Ciaphas posted:

On the one hand, scrambled eggs cooked sous vide is pretty drat delicious and not a dried out hot mess like my eggs usually are. On the other, that was a lot of faff for some bloody scrambled eggs :v:

If you want consistently great scrambled eggs with maybe slightly less faff than sous vide, cook them in a nonstick double boiler:
http://amzn.to/29FIX1o

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

What do you mean by faff? Should just be the normal, butter, milk eggs whisked. Toss in bag and put in water. Wait 10 minutes, shake, wait 10 minutes more and done. Very little to be done. Unless you you just mean the total prep time is too long.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Fish, sous-vided is the best loving thing. Better than steak. Yes I went there. There is no better way to perfectly cook fish. Especially white fish like cod or snapper. Here's three different things I do:

This is good info and all but I was thinking more of temperature/time guidelines, I'm OK with seasoning fish. If I have a halibut filet, do it for this long at this temperature, a swordfish steak gets this much at this temperature, stuff like that. It's encouraging to hear that fish sous-vides well, I just haven't found many recipes that aren't shrimp. Chicken, just slap a piece in the bag, here are the temperatures and times to get what you want. Fish fillet? :iiam:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just follow whatever the anova recipe is. Usually 30 minutes at 130-something.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I just did salmon at 133 for 30 minutes and it was perfect. I haven't done a whitefish yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

What do you mean by faff? Should just be the normal, butter, milk eggs whisked. Toss in bag and put in water. Wait 10 minutes, shake, wait 10 minutes more and done. Very little to be done. Unless you you just mean the total prep time is too long.

That's what I mean, yeah, just compared to two or three minutes over a nonstick :v:. they were great eggs, though.

Made a batch of boneless skinless chicken breasts today. It's black loving sorcery here that skinless chicken breast can come out tasting good in any way.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

That's what I mean, yeah, just compared to two or three minutes over a nonstick :v:. they were great eggs, though.

Made a batch of boneless skinless chicken breasts today. It's black loving sorcery here that skinless chicken breast can come out tasting good in any way.

sous vide chicken breasts sliced thin with a little lime juice and salt on top of pressure cooker pho ga has to be one of the fastest, tastiest low effort meals out there, I'm totally addicted

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

hogmartin posted:

This is good info and all but I was thinking more of temperature/time guidelines, I'm OK with seasoning fish. If I have a halibut filet, do it for this long at this temperature, a swordfish steak gets this much at this temperature, stuff like that. It's encouraging to hear that fish sous-vides well, I just haven't found many recipes that aren't shrimp. Chicken, just slap a piece in the bag, here are the temperatures and times to get what you want. Fish fillet? :iiam:

Fish is much more variable and requires experimentation. You're not pasteurizing the fish so the guidelines are largely subjective.

For example, a few posts up someone mention salmon at 133 for 30 minutes. I won't eat salmon above 125 and usually cook it at 122 for 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness) but that's just personal preference.

In general, you're going to cook fish for 15-30 minutes at anything between 115 (which will be pretty raw) to 140 (which will be fully cooked). Swordfish I'd probs cook around 130, same with halibut. Salmon I like at 122. Monkfish is good around 125-130 as well.

You'll want to play around and figure out what you like best.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

Fish is much more variable and requires experimentation. You're not pasteurizing the fish so the guidelines are largely subjective.

For example, a few posts up someone mention salmon at 133 for 30 minutes. I won't eat salmon above 125 and usually cook it at 122 for 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness) but that's just personal preference.

In general, you're going to cook fish for 15-30 minutes at anything between 115 (which will be pretty raw) to 140 (which will be fully cooked). Swordfish I'd probs cook around 130, same with halibut. Salmon I like at 122. Monkfish is good around 125-130 as well.

You'll want to play around and figure out what you like best.

That was my first attempt with the 30 min at 133. I'd read a lot of info about some people getting undercooked salmon at 20 min so I decided 30 would be safe. I'll probably drop the temp a bit on my next attempt, but I found 133 to still be very tender and tasty. I'll probably go with 130 next time as I don't want to get too low as my wife doesn't like when salmon is more medium rare. I'm definitely going to start playing around with other fish. I think I have some cod in the freezer.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

rockcity posted:

That was my first attempt with the 30 min at 133. I'd read a lot of info about some people getting undercooked salmon at 20 min so I decided 30 would be safe. I'll probably drop the temp a bit on my next attempt, but I found 133 to still be very tender and tasty. I'll probably go with 130 next time as I don't want to get too low as my wife doesn't like when salmon is more medium rare. I'm definitely going to start playing around with other fish. I think I have some cod in the freezer.

Yeah, I tend to jump up 3-5 degrees if cooking for my wife as well as she's squeamish about rare-ish fish.

EDIT: Temp can also be dependent on how the filet was cut. If there's a lot of membrane, you might want a higher temp to break it down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made Kenji's sous vide pork butt this weekend. A couple observations:

•Not sure about the food safetyness of it all. Pork butt is thick, but it was cooked at 165 so maybe it gets to temp fast enough? Not sure. But I made it anyway
•The rub recipe he includes is really good. I like it better than the memphis dust recipe I normally use. But he uses too much of it, so either cut back on how much you use or cut back on the salt in the rub recipe.
•He says cook it 18-24 hours. Because mine was at the larger end of what he recommended, I went a full 24 hours. This made it fall apart when I took it out of the bag. Next time I will go with 18
•Probably related to the previous point of it being overcooked in the bag, but it really dried out on the smoker. I don't think I will go as long next time, or maybe do a lower temp, followed by blasting it at high heat to get crust/pseudo bark

With a little liquid smoke, I would have been fine eating it straight out of the circulator. The flavor and moistness was incredible. I'll try it again and tweak some of the timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey great I somehow double posted yay me