Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

fishmech posted:

good on huawei to copy apple's idea from a couple years back

do you have any examples of fake "shot on iPhone" pictures because we could all enjoy that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DuckConference posted:

do you have any examples of fake "shot on iPhone" pictures because we could all enjoy that

there was a whole bunch of "shot on iphone" ads in the boston subway stations last year that had "*retouched to enhance quality" on the bottom

i'm pretty sure they did a similar campaign multiple time sin the past, and again with retouched photos ie basically advertisements for photoshop

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
huawei helping continue leica's legacy of making nice but extremely expensive cameras to sell to dentists, while letting other manufacturers put their name on total trash

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

fishmech posted:

there was a whole bunch of "shot on iphone" ads in the boston subway stations last year that had "*retouched to enhance quality" on the bottom

i'm pretty sure they did a similar campaign multiple time sin the past, and again with retouched photos ie basically advertisements for photoshop

they went through photoshop for formatting and scale purposes necessary for large printing operations, vs the shots they show at the press conference, which don't have the same requirements, so they can take them right off the phone (and don't bear the same disclaimer). Of course the sample shots are fantastic in some part due to the fact that they are thoughtfully composed by professionals who know how to get the best out of the camera, but they're still right off the phone.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

weird, i remember there being disclaimers saying the opposite? like "not retouched". maybe that's just on some.

here's Nokia faking the lighting effects of their phone camera

and Nokia again faking their image stabilization (image is of a reflection in a window showing the shot being taken from a moving van, probably with a DSLR to boot. it was said to be shot from a bike):

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

a site that actually tests things instead of writing advertorials had a look at the s7 camera:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10196/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-review-part-2/5

the post-processing is just as bad, and is probably worse, than the iPhone 6s. Do average phone buyers have some sort of phobia of noise that is leading to manufacturers running awful and smeary noise reduction in every photo?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DuckConference posted:

Do average phone buyers have some sort of phobia of noise that is leading to manufacturers running awful and smeary noise reduction in every photo?

yes, the average buyer with their flawed human eyes prefer photos that look like watercolor paintings

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I mean they look alright at Instagram size I guess

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Lots of testing metrics (and data) don't match my personal experience with the phone (Edge, Exynos version), nor the hundreds of videos and reviews online.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I give my phones acupuncture

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i had one of the sony phones with the state of the art camera hardware, the actual camera app though had a billion settings and every photo i took while owning that phone was blown-out bright or dark, or grainy, or blurry

i am uninterested enough that i am p. thankful for babbys first camera software

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sony is apparently good at allowing people to root their phones except for the part where when you unlock the bootloader it erases the partition with the binary image processing blob in it so all the rom makers have to come up with their own

i think all the xperias still produce images with a bunch of barrel distortion when reflashed lol

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Android rooters are used to broken cameras since like CM2

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

atomicthumbs posted:

sony is apparently good at allowing people to root their phones except for the part where when you unlock the bootloader it erases the partition with the binary image processing blob in it so all the rom makers have to come up with their own

i think all the xperias still produce images with a bunch of barrel distortion when reflashed lol

for the z3c atleast there's a tool which makes a backup of all that data before you unlock the bootloader, you can copy it back over after the unlocking process.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dodoman posted:

for the z3c atleast there's a tool which makes a backup of all that data before you unlock the bootloader, you can copy it back over after the unlocking process.

do you have a link to this tool? I have a z3 regular

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

do you have a link to this tool? I have a z3 regular

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292598

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

unironic xda link in the pos

amazing what times we live in

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

unironic xda link in the pos

amazing what times we live in
very shameful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

post your hottest roms and root methods itt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

anthonypants posted:

very shameful

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

android lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
remember when google spunoff a company called niantic labs and they made a game called ingress, except the explicit purpose of the game was to harvest data from android users

well they're back and they made a new game called pokemon go and it's out now for android and ios

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

anthonypants posted:

very shameful

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i rooted and flashed my nexus 4 to marshmallow. everything works great and I have a good phone that is a usable size, unlike every other modern android.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

roont

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ingress but with pokemon

https://twitter.com/TheWildWolfy/status/751257834176720897

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

still makes more sense than ingress

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
got sick of having my old (deadname) email account staring at me from my anroid every day. google, 5 years after the first time someone asked for it on their support forum, still has not added the ability to transfer your play store account to a new email address.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, its also so obvious they just made google takeout because some regulatory body yelled at them for not letting users download their data, because they provide no way whatsoever to import the archive back into another account. the help for it basically says "gently caress you transfer your poo poo manually".

it took our it people literally 5 minutes to transfer all my ad and exchange data to a new domain account. google cant even transfer my dumb google keep notes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is because by the time you finish the upload some of those google services will have been discontinued

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

this is because by the time you finish the upload some of those google services will have been discontinued

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

lomarf

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

got sick of having my old (deadname) email account staring at me from my anroid every day. google, 5 years after the first time someone asked for it on their support forum, still has not added the ability to transfer your play store account to a new email address.

switch to iPhone problem solved glad to be of assistance

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

tazjin posted:

they also put it on crêpes which is pretty nice

the Google office I work at has a crepe stand and they had nutella at it as a topping at first. but we ate what they thought would be a week's worth of nutella in like a day and a half, so they stopped offering it. now they have nice jam and whipped cream and stuff instead, which is still p good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

googlers? eating an unbelievable amount of candy??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

When dealing with a company that spies on you and harvests information related to your identity, it should be expected that changing your identity is difficult.

I'm not saying it's right, that loving sucks. Just, lol google basically.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Jonny 290 posted:

When dealing with a company that spies on you and harvests information related to your identity, it should be expected that changing your identity is difficult.

I'm not saying it's right, that loving sucks. Just, lol google basically.

i don't see why this follows, it'd be changing an external identifier thing but your strawman google would still be able to keep the association. if anything that'd be good for them, as any other party attempting to key info off that email address would lose out, but not them.

the real reason it isn't happening is going to be some cavalcade of edge cases, what-if scenarios, and someone somewhere deciding that because everyone's given up after asking for the feature for years they probably didn't really want it in the first place

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

my wife got a new gmail account with her new name a month ago and used the way Google said to use to transfer all her emails over. it is still not done transferring over a month later.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

shouldve transferred to fastmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shifty Pony posted:

my wife got a new gmail account with her new name a month ago and used the way Google said to use to transfer all her emails over. it is still not done transferring over a month later.

those emails are heavy and the summer interns are all nerds

• Locked thread