Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

But heavy weapons aren't useless in any of those games because they have hyper armour during attack animations.

Mind you I'm only talking about poise that makes you invulnerable to flinching when you aren't even doing anything, which IMO was stupid when it was introduced in Dks1. I don't know why people want it back.

If the only reason is that people want armour to be useful, then adjusting weight and defence ratio of heavy armour is a much simpler fix.

Oh, yeah, we're talking about the same thing! It's just confusing since poise in Dark Souls 3 is just "hyper armor", so when you said they could scrap poise I thought you meant that. But yeah, I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'm level 68 now and i wonder what i should put my levels in? i fight with a longsword and crestshield and have 27 vigor, 10 attunement, 20 endurance, 22 vitality, 45 strength, 12 dexterity, 10 int, 9 faith and 7 luck

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Health mostly. You dont need anything else to beat the game anymore. You have enough STR for all the good greatshields. You might want to add 5 more str if you want to use one of the 50 str weapons.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

But heavy weapons aren't useless in any of those games because they have hyper armour during attack animations.

Mind you I'm only talking about poise that makes you invulnerable to flinching when you aren't even doing anything, which IMO was stupid when it was introduced in Dks1. I don't know why people want it back.

If the only reason is that people want armour to be useful, then adjusting weight and defence ratio of heavy armour is a much simpler fix.

Still kind of silly that rats and basic undead are among the most dangerous enemies in the game specifically because of how easily they can stun/interrupt the player. Doesn't really encourage me to slap on really heavy armor.

But, when I last pvp'd, it seemed that weapons which give good hyper armor are quite popular, especially since some weapons in the game have really generous tracking with their moves.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its great that Anri can't ever find Horace when all she has to do is look down.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sakurazuka posted:

Not saving the pilgrim, not getting the dark sigils before he dies, killing the assassin in the church or anyone else involved, curing your hollowing, I think that's probably it? Not going through with the 'marriage' but I dunno when the cutoff would be for that, I'm assuming you can do it any time.

Also giving the dead fire keeper's eyes from future Firelink to the fire keeper will kill the plot (I think, haven't tested)

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

Also giving the dead fire keeper's eyes from future Firelink to the fire keeper will kill the plot (I think, haven't tested)

It only does this if you go through with summoning her after beating the lord of cinder. Also, you can take them back at any time without any real issues, at least from what I remember.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fire Barrel posted:

It only does this if you go through with summoning her after beating the lord of cinder. Also, you can take them back at any time without any real issues, at least from what I remember.

Yes. She even tells you how if you want to take them back, so it doesn't lock you in to anything at all.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Iretep posted:

Health mostly. You dont need anything else to beat the game anymore. You have enough STR for all the good greatshields. You might want to add 5 more str if you want to use one of the 50 str weapons.

I wonder, how much extra damage would a refined longsword give with 40 dex? Haven't tried pure STR builds in DS3 yet, so I'm not sure how much worse a straight up heavy infusion is.

E: Never mind, it looks like the mugenmonkey DS3 calculator finally does infusions, so I can easily check out all the combinations myself.

Smol fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 7, 2016

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Its great that Anri can't ever find Horace when all she has to do is look down.

I didn't notice until my third playthrough that you can see Horace, if not exactly from where Anri is standing then from the bridge/ledge next to it.

Since I noticed that, I can't run by that area without picturing Horace following Anri around then accidentally walking off the ledge and surviving through some odd slope/collision detection. Wouldn't be out of place in the DS universe.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cultisto posted:

I didn't notice until my third playthrough that you can see Horace, if not exactly from where Anri is standing then from the bridge/ledge next to it.

Since I noticed that, I can't run by that area without picturing Horace following Anri around then accidentally walking off the ledge and surviving through some odd slope/collision detection. Wouldn't be out of place in the DS universe.

At which point he can't yell for help, because he doesn't talk. So he watches Anri run around confused up above him, gets sick of it, and goes hollow.

The truth of Horace!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is Anri's sword still worth doing a build around or did they nerf it into trash?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

Is Anri's sword still worth doing a build around or did they nerf it into trash?

You'll be down maybe 4 points of damage at 40 luck, it's still excellent

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mango sentinel posted:

I think they just nerfed the str/dex scaling, the luck scaling should still be fine.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Paracelsus posted:

I think they just nerfed the str/dex scaling, the luck scaling should still be fine.

Anri's straight sword had significant Str/Dex scaling?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, actually I forgot about all the stuff with Horace, you have to kill him and not tell tell Anri where he is, also talk to her in both places in the Catacombs. I've no idea if not doing that breaks the third ending stuff or just her quest if you're not doing that though.

NPC quests are just needlessly complex in DS3
You don't need to talk to Anri in the first Catacombs spot. I got the Lord of Hollows ending in NG and didn't even know he could show up there until NG+. If you miss it he/she just shows up at the second spot later and stays there until you tell them (or not) about Horace. It's surprisingly lenient.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Supremezero posted:

Anri's straight sword had significant Str/Dex scaling?

No it didn't/doesn't, its D/D scaling at +5 so the adjustment is a tiny one, as Paracelsus said the luck scaling is unchanged so the difference is negligible post-patch

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Sellsword Twinblades are officially amazing. I just beat Nameless King without taking a hit, and I staggered him three times. It probably helps that I finally figured out to just play unlocked against him, but still. You just slap on a resin, replace R1 spam with L1 spam, and you're good to go.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm still working through the game slowly (life got in the way!) and I am finding Pontiff just impassable, even with two additional phantoms (either both NPC's or one NPC and a talented human player). Is he the most aggressively "not sporting" boss in the game, or what? It's just relentless and he seems full of cheap, cheap, cheap hits.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pontiff is basically Fume Knight with a twist. Similarly, he's punishing but not that hard unless you try to block him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do not mash dodge as soon as you can when you get hit. Pontiff's combos space hits out at just the right distance where if you get hit and dodge right away, the next one will hit you right as you are vulnerable again.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm still working through the game slowly (life got in the way!) and I am finding Pontiff just impassable, even with two additional phantoms (either both NPC's or one NPC and a talented human player). Is he the most aggressively "not sporting" boss in the game, or what? It's just relentless and he seems full of cheap, cheap, cheap hits.

I had trouble soloing him until I realized his shadow clone can be killed.

When he does his summon animation for it, there's a brief window when both the Pontiff and the shadow overlap each other and are vulnerable. Time it right with a two handed heavy charged attack and you can hit them both for a huge chunk of damage.

If you have enough stamina you can sometimes get lucky and kill the shadow in one combo string.

Once it's dead the Pontiff will try to summon it again and by that point he should be low enough on health to finish off before he gets the chance.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Roll behind Pontiff.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Transistor Rhythm posted:

What everyone else has said but also get two human players - the NPCs for Pontiff are terrible in my experience.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I ran through Anri's quest last night, very cool end to it.

Took me just under 3 hours from starting ng++ to having it completed in Anor Londo.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What everyone else has said but also get two human players - the NPCs for Pontiff are terrible in my experience.

Strangely I had exactly the opposite experience! On my NG I summoned Anri, Gotthard AND Londor Pale Shade (used the finger after two summons) and we gank squad'ed his rear end. Obviously his AOEs took down all the summons but we were putting out enough damage (and had enough diversions for healing) that the four of us took him down first try :c00l:

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

What is this dumb poo poo with people chugging estus in a duel?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

-S- posted:

It's the "I won't heal during this fight" gesture, basically.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

HaB posted:

It's the "I won't heal during this fight" gesture, basically.

No, they are healing after they get hit. It happens 2/5 fights.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Had a guy heal 4 separate times on me then I died to a parry. Rustled my soul jimmies

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

-S- posted:

well, see, it's a game mechanic where, when you take damage, you can restore that damage by using a stock of your limited healing resource.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Today some guy got really mad at me because hornet ring and something something about my mom and OP greataxe and that stuff. It was a guy using a greatshield and a raw rear end. Knight Slayer's ring and two blocked swings from my greataxe drained all his stamina, I guess that seeing him one shotted by a chunk of metal isn't that funny. Who the hell brings a greatshield to pvp anyways?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Guillermus posted:

Today some guy got really mad at me because hornet ring and something something about my mom and OP greataxe and that stuff. It was a guy using a greatshield and a raw rear end. Knight Slayer's ring and two blocked swings from my greataxe drained all his stamina, I guess that seeing him one shotted by a chunk of metal isn't that funny. Who the hell brings a greatshield to pvp anyways?

i do, but only if its enchanted with great magic shield, and even then i mostly just two hand my greataxe. but great magic shield is hilarious because people will attack you all day and do absolutely nothing. it trivializes fighting anyone else with a heavy weapon but is total poo poo against bleed builds

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Under the vegetable posted:

well, see, it's a game mechanic where, when you take damage, you can restore that damage by using a stock of your limited healing resource.

Well yes, but in every past game it was like an unspoken rule that you don't heal during 1v1 duels. I mean if it's different now, cool, but it's kinda lame.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

-S- posted:

Well yes, but in every past game it was like an unspoken rule that you don't heal during 1v1 duels. I mean if it's different now, cool, but it's kinda lame.

It's still an unspoken rule.

This means people don't generally hear about it.

It's not really any different from previous games. People did it there too.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Supremezero posted:

It's still an unspoken rule.

This means people don't generally hear about it.

It's not really any different from previous games. People did it there too.

No they didn't because phantoms (red) summoned or invading didn't have estus. I guess in 1 they could pop humanity, but you know what I'm saying

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

-S- posted:

No they didn't because phantoms (red) summoned or invading didn't have estus. I guess in 1 they could pop humanity, but you know what I'm saying

That didn't really stop invadees from healing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Straight swords are making my enthusiasm for pvp go from :dong: to :flaccid:. Fucks sake FROM how did you screw up this badly?

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Any fix for stuttering for those of us with 7xx series Nvidia cards yet? I have a 780 - this poo poo still happens and it is wildly irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Patman posted:

Any fix for stuttering for those of us with 7xx series Nvidia cards yet? I have a 780 - this poo poo still happens and it is wildly irritating.

I wasn't aware that this was a thing. I have a 770 and it's fine