Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Augus posted:

Like, are you actually one of the head writers of the show or something?

If they are then, well it might explain some of the hate the show gets.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=218559

quote:

If anyone has seen the videos I linked to in my previous posts, please let me know. I'd love for someone to join me in laughing in their faces for being the whiny manchildren that they are and calling them out on not understanding the show, its jokes, etc.😃

It's painfully obvious that Mr. Enter and his colleagues can dish it out but can't take it. 😄

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

See, it's also really weird and comparably immature to react hostilely when some people aren't being drama queens about it and just don't think it's a very good show. You can't just say "You're too old to be vocally disliking a kids show but I'm not at all too old to be defending a kids show from any and all criticism!"

Like, are you actually one of the head writers of the show or something?

Batman Brave and the Bold is really really good.

I think Mr Enter is too old to be vocally disliking a kids show and also people are being weirdly dramatic about it and making up "slights" to get mad about in a very hilarious nerd-culture war.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mraagvpeine posted:

What did you guys think of The Batman?

I never watched the Batman, but I used to listen to a (now seemingly abandoned) animation podcast, and they covered a lot of the DC animated shows and movies. I don't remember any of the specifics of what they said, but they came down pretty heavily on both The Batman and Teen Titans.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Max Wilco posted:

I never watched the Batman, but I used to listen to a (now seemingly abandoned) animation podcast, and they covered a lot of the DC animated shows and movies. I don't remember any of the specifics of what they said, but they came down pretty heavily on both The Batman and Teen Titans.

What was the name of the podcast?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know who CinemaTyler is or what else he's done, but here's a pretty cool really long series of videos on 2001: a space odyssey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNyCluIRhA

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

WickedHate posted:

What was the name of the podcast?

It was Animation Aficionados. They did two debate episodes for The Batman, and for Teen Titans. It's been a pretty long time since I've listened to them, and it seems like they're defunct, since they haven't posted a new episode since May 2015.

Before you ask, I found out about this podcast because Bob Mackey guested on an episode about video game cartoons

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I think Mr Enter is too old to be vocally disliking a kids show and also people are being weirdly dramatic about it and making up "slights" to get mad about in a very hilarious nerd-culture war.

This is fine.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Maybe people should just leave children's TV for the children. I mean, I'm sure my parents hated the crap I used to watch as a kid too.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
A lot of the TTG hate to me just seems like adults mad that there's a very popular kids show that isn't even remotely targeted towards them.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Heres a piece on AVGN's legacy and how nerds end up emulating him.

http://kotaku.com/the-complicated-legacy-of-the-original-angry-video-game-1783119418

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Violet_Sky posted:

http://kotaku.com/the-complicated-legacy-of-the-original-angry-video-game-1783119418

I think idiots putting words in his mouth, like, one month ago doesn't exactly make his legacy complicated.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

quote:

Fair discussion as that may be on surface, splitting the videos up obfuscated his points and shrouded them in what’s been easily, and frankly, rightly, construed as soft-sexism towards the idea that the new Ghostbusters team is all female.

Uh, no. Well, maybe if you half pay attention to the video, mentally block out what isn't relevant to this point and add in what you think you heard then sure, it's a video sexist towards the reboot because it features all women in the lead roles.

What Kotaku read from above: "Sure, it's a video sexist towards the reboot because it features all women in the lead roles."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

better go post this in r/kotakuinaction

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

"Why are there so many,
Clickbaits about James,
And why he thinks women are turds?
Somebody thought of it,
And someone believed it,
I think it's kind of absurd."

"Maybe the next trailer,
Will make it look better.
I think they're wrong,
Wait and see.
Someday we'll find it,
The Sony connection,
The lovers,
The dreamers,
And Alaois..."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

This whole thing still baffles me. To be completely honest, I think it is unfair of James to judge the film without actually seeing it, but if he's not interested in seeing then that's fine.

What I don't understand is why people got so outraged because of it. Of all the people who have raged about the move, why highlight his video out of all of them? It wasn't even NerdRage™, it was more like Nerd Mild-Annoyance™.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
we need to punish bad trailer editors

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

we need to punish bad trailer editors

So what you're saying is we need to make bad trailer editors cry like an anime fan on prom night?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

This whole thing still baffles me. To be completely honest, I think it is unfair of James to judge the film without actually seeing it, but if he's not interested in seeing then that's fine.

What I don't understand is why people got so outraged because of it. Of all the people who have raged about the move, why highlight his video out of all of them? It wasn't even NerdRage™, it was more like Nerd Mild-Annoyance™.

I think that some people really want this to be a huge hit for some reason, so they've got a itchy trigger finger and are gunning for anyone remotely 'big' in the nerd-sphere who says bad things about it.

Personally, it just looks like another Total Recall or Robocop reboot to me. An empty, soulless dime-a-dozen reboot which will be more memorable for the shitstorm surrounding it than the actual movie.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not, so forgive me if it's not, but have you guys heard about Night Mind? He's a youtuber that researches and breakdown all this weird and obscure performance art/ARGs from all over the internet.

Here's his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC58IKuPHnZkdCZ6T5mSRGCg?videos

For example, here's his (exhaustive) breakdown of Alan Resnick's various Adult Swim projects:

Alan Tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVExoZ5QMWs

Unedited Footage of a Bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e5ia9j0TA

This house has People In It:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjBTAnCUbZc

There's also this breakdown of very old ARG that is related to Something Awful forums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghBGvPepSQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RobCop2014 had a soul. It's pretty dece.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CelticPredator posted:

RobCop2014 had a soul. It's pretty dece.

Yeah, Robocop at least had effort put into it. It's not a great movie, but it was at least made by someone with an understanding of what made the original so good and it's a decent watch.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Max Wilco posted:

This whole thing still baffles me. To be completely honest, I think it is unfair of James to judge the film without actually seeing it.

To me, seeing those two trailers should be enough for anyone to judge for themselves if a movie is worth seeing. Seeing the shitstorm that came from it felt like a ton of people sating "be a good little consumer and watch the movie the studio mandates you to watch".

Archer666 posted:

I think that some people really want this to be a huge hit for some reason, so they've got a itchy trigger finger and are gunning for anyone remotely 'big' in the nerd-sphere who says bad things about it.

Personally, it just looks like another Total Recall or Robocop reboot to me. An empty, soulless dime-a-dozen reboot which will be more memorable for the shitstorm surrounding it than the actual movie.

Wouldn't use Robocop 2014, but yes Total Recall, I'd also give examples of Footloose remake, and that Point Break remake this year. It just feels like we're getting closer to the day "Coupon the Movie" is no longer satire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPBIDPIo92Q

And now for something completely different, Bo Derek's tits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDJGg8oZCY

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Testekill posted:

Yeah, my whole deal with TTG is that it's just a lazy show that puts way too much effort into starting poo poo with fans of the old series. Like the Return of Slade is a bait & switch that exists so that the writers can make a strawman argument about how the old series is not as good as you remember it. I didn't grow up with Cartoon Network so the only experience with Teen Titans that I had was with the 80's comics but it's really just a weak argument in general.

Nah it's actually a good show and if you think it has no effort put into it then you haven't actually watched any of it. Try the episode 40%, 40%, 20%, that one is just great all around.

But actually do watch it, it's seriously a big love letter to all things DC and Teen Titans in general. Plus the guy voice acting Robin is super into it, alot of the stuff he does is apparently improv and they just write around it because he gets so into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When the original cartoon came on, I used to flip the channels. When this new show came on, I let it play for a second. It was amusing.

That's my story!

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
People reacted the way they did to James's "Ghostbusters" thing because "Ghostbusters" is already being attacked by legit no-bones-about-it sexist douchebags, so on the surface it looked like James was lining up to be counted among them. No other remake has been subject to such controversy -- not Total Recall, not Point Break, not Robocop, not any of them.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MisterBadIdea posted:

People reacted the way they did to James's "Ghostbusters" thing because "Ghostbusters" is already being attacked by legit no-bones-about-it sexist douchebags, so on the surface it looked like James was lining up to be counted among them. No other remake has been subject to such controversy -- not Total Recall, not Point Break, not Robocop, not any of them.

None of those changed the gender of the main cast so of course sexists can't find a blatant excuse for outrage.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Archer666 posted:

At this point I'm almost thinking the best object lesson would be if it is a designed-by-marketing-committee reboot that is neither great nor terrible and it makes a ton of money anyway. Equality doesn't mean "all movies with women-centered casts are amazing and must always be amazing", it means that women are able to have mediocre-to-decent summer popcorn fare directed at them and still have it be a success instead of it being required to be the best blockbuster of the season. People throw money at guy-centric mediocre action movies all the time; why can't the cash scale be the same for women?

I mean, if it's a great movie and makes tons of money, great, but maybe it being mediocre and profitable is a bigger step forward. Battleship made $300 million, Transformers: ROTF made $600 million, Armageddon $500 million etc. what's the big deal if Ghostbusters is merely okay and does similar?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBadIdea posted:

Honestly it's probably because no one leapt to the defense of any of those other movies. Like the Evildead remake made Ash a woman, but the marketing didn't both talking about this. Thus no sexist pigs screeched, because none of them watch movies or read articles. They only have time for trailers and wikipedia summaries. Then the people who waste time arguing with sexist pigs on twitter didn't spend time defending a mediocre remake. Thus no massive firestorm erupted.

Sadly due to the stupid cultural exchange over the trailer the only way we will be rid of twitter arguments is the movie turning out to be some Fury Road level masterpiece. Otherwise it's all going to end up like the Star Wars prequels. If the movie is bad I pitty the people who decide to Misterbibs for it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

davidHalestorm posted:

have you guys heard about Night Mind?

He's been brought up a few times here and there.

I'm of two minds on the channel- I really like the in-depth summaries of neat creepy stuff, but his weird, stilted narration is offputting, and the dude is just cringe-inducingly dumb and inclined to read waaaaayyyyy too much into certain things. Like, conspiracy theorist level reading too much.

Also he thinks Everyman Hybrid is better than Marble Hornets, which is just an objectively bad opinion, whether you actually like all the Slenderman video series or not.

Archer666 posted:

I think that some people really want this to be a huge hit for some reason,

Generally one of two reasons:
1) If it flops, studios will immediately go, "Welp, looks like nobody wants to see movies with womz in them, back to the sausagefest!" like they've always done, while if it's a hit we might maybe get a chance to possibly see one or two more movies that star ladies that AREN'T chick flicks.

2) Nobody wants the smug heard round the world from sexist douches (and/or if it's a huge hit there will be copious outpourings of bitterness from that sector, which is always good for some schadenfreude).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Puppy Time posted:

He's been brought up a few times here and there.

I'm of two minds on the channel- I really like the in-depth summaries of neat creepy stuff, but his weird, stilted narration is offputting, and the dude is just cringe-inducingly dumb and inclined to read waaaaayyyyy too much into certain things. Like, conspiracy theorist level reading too much.

Also he thinks Everyman Hybrid is better than Marble Hornets, which is just an objectively bad opinion, whether you actually like all the Slenderman video series or not.

Season 1 of Marble Hornets is probably better than EMH, but as an entire series, I'd say EMH easily beats what MH became. I also don't get why some people think Night Mind's narration sounds weird, I find it kinda relaxing. :shrug:

He has a new video on That Poppy, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E

Titanic Sinclair seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat from his Twitter and non-Poppy videos, though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 7, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jsor posted:

Season 1 of Marble Hornets is probably better than EMH, but as an entire series, I'd say EMH easily beats what MH became. I also don't get why some people think Night Mind's narration sounds weird, I find it kinda relaxing. :shrug:

It's just off enough that it's charming, like a dubbed survival horror game from the early 2000s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jsor posted:

He has a new video on That Poppy, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E

Titanic Sinclair seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat from his Twitter and non-Poppy videos, though.

Seems like he's reading a narrative into performance art there. She's a hyper version of empty pop personalities because the character is a hyperbolic recreation of them, not because there's an ARG about MK ULTRA and the Illuminati underneath the surface.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Seems like he's reading a narrative into performance art there. She's a hyper version of empty pop personalities because the character is a hyperbolic recreation of them, not because there's an ARG about MK ULTRA and the Illuminati underneath the surface.

Yeah, that's my problem with his interpretations. Like, watching the music video he talks about, it's a really clear, simple metaphor of image vs. reality and gaining the will to do one's own thing. But dude gets really wrapped up in his own personal ideas and doesn't actually think anything through.

The most glaring example of this was in This House Has People In It, where he decided that the father was the Boomy the Cat cosplayer, despite the fact that in the original video, the Boomy cosplayer and the father clearly could not be the same person at all!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

PassTheRemote posted:

and that Point Break remake this year.

Budget: $105,000,000 (estimated)
Domestic Total Gross: $28,782,481

We need more "remakes" like this.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Ed Glaser bought a film print of Turkish Star Wars, a film that there were thought to be no surviving prints left.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MisterBadIdea posted:

The weird complaints and justifications didn't help. "I know ya'll want me to go see the new movie and talk about it, but I'm just not interested in it, sorry. :shobon:" is fine, but the "now I'll have to clarify I mean the ~original~ Ghostbusters when I talk to people" stuff is kind of a dumb tangent to go off on and strays uncomfortably close to the contortions of logic that genuinely lovely nerds cook up to explain why they don't want to see the movie without literally saying "because it has womz in it".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's debatable. I don't think he came close to that sort of thing at all. The only thing he's guilty of is extremely strong nostalgia and even says as much.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

John Murdoch posted:

The weird complaints and justifications didn't help. "I know ya'll want me to go see the new movie and talk about it, but I'm just not interested in it, sorry. :shobon:" is fine, but the "now I'll have to clarify I mean the ~original~ Ghostbusters when I talk to people" stuff is kind of a dumb tangent to go off on and strays uncomfortably close to the contortions of logic that genuinely lovely nerds cook up to explain why they don't want to see the movie without literally saying "because it has womz in it".

Yea I don't think the video needed to be made at all but if for some reason it did he could have just said 'hey I know you guys know I love ghostbusters so I'll just clear up now. Not interested in the new movie, probably won't see it, sorry if that's a bummer.'

Instead he did the typical 'ugh but this also ruins the REAL ghostbusters by merely existing' and yea, those are the kinds of ways shitheads talk about the movie, because shockingly the overlap in 'creepy weirdo' and 'ascribes too much inherent value to consuming a movie' is strong. I don't think he's some sexist but it's not like he didn't know the contexts around the movie, he had to know he sounded a lot like those kinds of 'reviewers' in that video and people less familiar with him could easily lump him in with them.

Maybe just don't make a video announcing how little you care about a thing, like, most of the world manages to not make a video publicly saying they're not going to see a summer blockbuster. You can just do that too, like a normal person. Or hell, crazy thought, maybe wait till the movie's out and see what others are saying about it before instantly declaring that you won't ever see it, that's a thing reactionary babymen do.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The franchise is clearly something he's passionate about if anyone bothered to watch the second video. An enormous film buff to the point of owning a huge collection of films, film reels, and memorabilia, and it's in his top 4. Of course he's going to comment on it.
poo poo, I'm still in Internet Saigon talking about James Rolfe and the loving Ghostbusters.

Here's a goofy interview Adam from YMS had of Lloyd Kaufman of Troma. Good stuff if you're into Troma's film library at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xpSm4D8t20

RLM did a re:View of Eraserhead. Didn't see this posted previously, but David Lynch is a fun guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvNJ3YuH9o

And if you're at all interested in watching, reading, or getting into Game of Thrones or just Aussies people being hilarious, Ozzy Man Reviews is a good place to go. He does more than just recap the episode, he typically finds a central theme to each episode to try to get into the writer's head: Ozzy Man Reviews Season 6

Also, seasons 1-5 if you don't want to start at the end

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

MisterBadIdea posted:

Also because it's loving rich that the dude who gave Jurassic World a verbal handjob has decided that lady ghostbusters is the defilement of his childhood that he will not bear.

Of all the soulless nostalgia cash-ins, reboots, and sequels in the last few years, it's Ghostbusters that's a bridge too far? :jerkbag:

• Locked thread