Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That is odd, I'm getting 11 on an older pc:

And this was with chome and a ton of other poo poo running, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Truga posted:

That is odd, I'm getting 11 on an older pc:

And this was with chome and a ton of other poo poo running, too

Better CPU, so fewer CPU-bound frames.

e: If anyone's still on the fence about Elite the standalone deathmatch mode is free (to keep) this weekend: store link.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 8, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Elite Dangerous: Arena is currently free on their website; is this vr compatible?

E: nm, just saw that it is from the steam store page

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

:getin:

Has anybody tried the OSVR yet? The price is tempting but I'm always wary of getting what I paid for and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of reviews out yet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mister Bup posted:

:getin:

Has anybody tried the OSVR yet? The price is tempting but I'm always wary of getting what I paid for and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of reviews out yet.
Based on the bit of E3 coverage of it that I saw, I'd pass. If you're adamant on getting in to VR right now (and let's be honest, you probably shouldn't be), both HTC and Oculus seem to have more or less caught up with preorders.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I'm not. Aside from cockpit games (I remember Il-2 BOS had some kind of clusterfuck with oculus support?) it seems like it's the same poo poo as the wii when it came out, weird gimmicks and silly poo poo.

Just exploring the options and daydreaming for now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Well, VR in a broader sense is legit as hell. I feel that treating it as being anywhere near the same level as the Wii or Kinect is, to put it mildly, a very ignorant position to take.

That said, it's all first-gen consumer hardware right now. The hardware that's out there, as impressive as it is, has a lot of room for improvement (resolution/image quality being the big obvious one). On top of that, nobody's come out with a killer app yet because it's a new medium with new challenges and nobody really knows how to use it to its full potential yet. So yeah, while there are some genuinely cool things to do, there are also a lot of silly gimmick games that we'll all look back on one day and laugh at.

Still, it's one of those things where you try it out for the first time and come out saying "holy poo poo, this is the future". It's just too much money and not enough good stuff right now for me to be able to recommend it to most people just yet. It'll get there, though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

While I'm sitting here waiting for the courier to come pick up one of my Vive controllers, have you guys got any suggestions for games that only need one controller?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Icedude posted:

While I'm sitting here waiting for the courier to come pick up one of my Vive controllers, have you guys got any suggestions for games that only need one controller?
Space Pirate Trainer if you want to work on your squats

e: Speaking of, I really got a second wind in that game with the laser-sight pistols there. Could never get those OP-railguns to click for me, but with that laser I can pop them from my hip, High Noon style.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Icedude posted:

Zenblade. I don't know how it's going to stack up to Fruit Ninja VR, but it has a sword and lets you slash tossed fruit so I don't know how much worse it could be.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Icedude posted:

"The Nest" only requires one controller, it's the game that people build those rifle stocks out of paper towel tubes for.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Fruit Ninja VR is very good. Super crisp visuals. After playing some poo poo demos for a while, I was starting to get down on VR, but loading up Fruit Ninja reminded me of the first time I put VR goggles on again. Very clean and awesome looking and immersive. Gameplay is fun, maybe 2 steps more complicated than iOS Fruit Ninja. So... not gonna last forever, but still pretty fun.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Unreal Engine and Unity are getting built in SMP, which was completely predictable.

Still it will be nice when devs don't have to roll it in themselves.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Took my Rift home with me on vacation, have demoed it to 9 people, all of whom were blown away. My brother keeps wanting to go to the 'dinosaur room'.

He's 29..

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Icedude posted:

Cloudlands if mini golf holds any appeal to you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Republicans posted:

Cloudlands if mini golf holds any appeal to you.

Also if you have friends with VR this becomes much more fun, especially while drinking. I can't wait for the course editor to come out, that should give it pretty much infinite life replayability. I've been sticking mostly to random 9s right now to not get too bored of the base 18.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Soundstage looks really cool. I'm watching it on the Giant Bomb VRodeo right now.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I was reading something a while back that said motion sickness from artificial locomotion is greatly reduced by lowering peripheral vision. I was thinking about this last night after playing some Battledome and wondering if a gears of war style cover shooter where it vignettes the hell out of you when you charge to new cover (instead of teleporting) would work.

ps: For those following my Vive saga, replacement came yesterday and we're back to Viving.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 10, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you have either the Rift of Vive and want a great racing game that's a mix of Star Wars Pod Racing and Mad Max, You need to get Vector 36 right now.

I should have been hawking this harder during the Steam sale, but drat if I didn't just throw 2.2hrs into it straight after being a bit too tired to play anything else (I though) beforehand.

You absolutely want a gamepad or joystick as KB+Mouse is a terrible way to try and play, but with the Xbox One pad, the game is really playable once you get the hang of things, and dial in your starter skip with a bit more lift (added a 2nd radiator and hover jets as stock it was just a fat slow pig.

To get started, get used to using the thrust and boost together to get any actual speed (2nd radiator help a lot for this), using the reverse/break to give you a quick boost up when you're about to crash into the ground from a lack of lift, and play with the Lift/Thrust bias based on how even the terrain is. (On a smooth part, bias toward 70% plus for some speed, but back to 65% or less over the rough stuff to keep yourself from ending up as a scrap yardsale on Mars.

It will take a bit to get used to it, but once you do, it is amazing in VR. Need to positional tracking to see above the split in the cockpit window when I'm dipping down to keep the speed up lol. Its great!

^^^ and exactly like you said above, these devs actually do exactly this when you hit a big bump that spins you around. The peripheral vision blacks out to a tiny circle of visibility that is blurry to mimic a high G force hit which is convincing and left me with no weird VR feeling whatsoever. The only time I got a little bit of VR hit was the occasional slowdown as the game is EA and needs a bit of polish here and there. But for what it is currently, drat it is fun in the Rift.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 10, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just tried London Heist on PSVR at the mall and went from 90% sure cancelling my psvr preorder to definitely keeping it. Everything was so intuitive, move controllers worked great, graphics were better than expected, and the unit was really comfortable. The best compliment I can give it is I forgot to even think about it on a technical level because I was having so much fun reloading my gun and shooting/throwing things, despite being burned out on most non-vr shooters.

My non-gamer wife tried the ocean one and loved it. We had to use peer pressure to get her to even give it a chance.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Rec Room is super fun, someone was gonna throw a dodgeball and I snuck up behind them and covered their eyes with my hands, it was hilarious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Soundstage is really fun to mess around in. The only problem is I'm not great at music. Finding a good tape is annoying though. You have to look through a bunch of vaguely named tapes like (scifi-a-01) and put it in a sampler to hear what it sounds like. And there seems to be only three save slots which makes no sense on a computer game. I also don't know if it's possible to export what you make. It's a cool chillout VR game that doesn't totally need to be VR.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Cojawfee posted:

Soundstage is really fun to mess around in. The only problem is I'm not great at music. Finding a good tape is annoying though. You have to look through a bunch of vaguely named tapes like (scifi-a-01) and put it in a sampler to hear what it sounds like. And there seems to be only three save slots which makes no sense on a computer game. I also don't know if it's possible to export what you make. It's a cool chillout VR game that doesn't totally need to be VR.

Does Soundstage support multiple tempos at once?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think so. You set the tempo with a metronome in the settings pop up menu. You can set the sequences to be multiples of the tempo like 2x or .25x or what have you but it's all based on the one main tempo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The new VRodeo episode is out. Pretty good games in it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc_8U5b6Ae0

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

The new VRodeo episode is out. Pretty good games in it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc_8U5b6Ae0
Holy poo poo, Sounstage. That is loving crazy.
e: begins at about 7 minutes, takes a minute or two for Jeff to get a handle on it but after that it's awesome.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Battle Dome kind of got a raw deal there. They played the worst possible mode and then posited about how one could do a FPS with teleportation. Hopefully it'll get another shot soon.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 11, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^they're pretty poo poo reviewers sometimes. They have an absolute aversion to knowing anything about the games they're reviewing, it seems. Kind of irritating.

Anyone got ideas about what might be the minimum GPU that might be able to run a Rift, not to play games but just for movies/virtual desktop? I kind of hoped the Ion netbook I have would do fine, but even once I'd got past the (currently arbitrary) SSE 2.4 CPU check, I can't proceed through the full setup because it needs a more recent NVidia gpu driver. Although I haven't tried it with SteamVR - I take it that doesn't work without all the Oculus stuff installed?
I'm not sure what's the earliest driver version they'll support or what's the oldest GPU (or cheapest laptop with a GPU) that would at least allow installation. Probably wouldn't be enough to play movies in BigScreen or VD anyway right?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Anyone got ideas about what might be the minimum GPU that might be able to run a Rift, not to play games but just for movies/virtual desktop? I kind of hoped the Ion netbook I have would do fine, but even once I'd got past the (currently arbitrary) SSE 2.4 CPU check, I can't proceed through the full setup because it needs a more recent NVidia gpu driver. Although I haven't tried it with SteamVR - I take it that doesn't work without all the Oculus stuff installed?
I'm not sure what's the earliest driver version they'll support or what's the oldest GPU (or cheapest laptop with a GPU) that would at least allow installation. Probably wouldn't be enough to play movies in BigScreen or VD anyway right?

The Rift only works with the very latest AMD and Nvidia drivers because those drivers had code specifically added to support it, so only cards supported by those drivers are going to work. It also needs a direct HDMI output from the AMD or Nvidia card, so Optimus laptops won't work. I've seen claims that the minimum spec the installer will allow is a GTX 650/AMD 7750, but those are unsubstantiated so don't take them as gospel. SteamVR won't help, as it uses the Rift drivers under the hood.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/VRNewsNow/status/752514884961759232

Getting nerds Fit.

As for Rift GPU support, outside performance limits it is up to being able to use the Rift enabled Nvidia or ATI driver so you could probably go as far back as an Nvidia 400 series, or ATI 7000 series, but not older as then you will run into lack of driver support. On top of that you will still need GPU performance for things like Virtual Desktop because it is still 90FPS you have to hit, and is still rendering on the GPU.

Newer laptops that are "VR Ready" may work, but anything that had switchable graphics or older GPU's are pretty much out as stated. Looks like a lot of newer gaming laptops are being designed with VR support in mind though which is good for future portability.

Also get Vector 36. That game is friggin great in VR in the Rift.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^Vector36 looks pretty cool, have they implemented multiplayer yet? And does it allow 3rd and 1st person or the latter only?
Cosmic Trip from that VRodeo giantbomb vid looks loving awesome too, anyone tried that? Vive at the mo due to motion controls.

NRVNQSR posted:

The Rift only works with the very latest AMD and Nvidia drivers because those drivers had code specifically added to support it, so only cards supported by those drivers are going to work. It also needs a direct HDMI output from the AMD or Nvidia card, so Optimus laptops won't work. I've seen claims that the minimum spec the installer will allow is a GTX 650/AMD 7750, but those are unsubstantiated so don't take them as gospel. SteamVR won't help, as it uses the Rift drivers under the hood.
Yep, figures. Will wait until the card market has settled down a bit. I sold a Rift and got a couple hundred quid profit to go towards a new-gen GPU. Elite Dangerous with supersampling, I am psyched.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 11, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

El Grillo posted:

^^^Vector36 looks pretty cool, have they implemented multiplayer yet? And does it allow 3rd and 1st person or the latter only?
Cosmic Trip from that VRodeo giantbomb vid looks loving awesome too, anyone tried that? Vive at the mo due to motion controls.

Yep, figures. Will wait until the card market has settled down a bit. I sold a Rift and got a couple hundred quid profit to go towards a new-gen GPU. Elite Dangerous with supersampling, I am psyched.

Cosmic Trip is a great peak into what VR games can be like with motion controls, the problem (like with most VR games) is it is like the first chapter in a novel's worth of content. There just isn't anything there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea Cosmic Trip is fantastic but lacking content majorly currently. When they start throwing in a bit more and having some sort of story or levels, then maybe it will be a good game, but at least the groundwork is there and it is pretty solid.

Vector36 seemed to be First Person (cockpit view) only in VR, but I didn't try and see if there was a button to change that as cockpit view was perfect in VR. In 2D I was able to switch between views easily, and the camera/fov tricks it does in 2D does a good job of showing a sensation of speed that VR didn't have at the slow speeds you are going in slower ships lol, however in 2D it was a lot harder to really judge your path and plan accordingly. VR FPV is the way to play for sure.

Multiplayer doesn't seem to be in just yet, but it does have a global leaderboard for track times I believe. You will want to upgrade your skip a lot before you can even think of tackling those times though.

Also I have yet to see any weapons, but I may just be to low level to get them yet, also I won 2 tournaments and even though I got Gold, I never got the Payout. Will have to look into that and maybe start a new save as I know what I am doing now when I didn't earlier and lost a bunch just learning how to fly the darn thing lol.

Also its out..
Gotta give this a try sometime this week.

https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/752529553894105088

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I'm ready for the VR future.

I just got my 1070 in over the weekend and I'm noticing a large difference in some VR stuff. The craziest thing for me is that certain games that were giving me a little motion sickness before now are not, even when I couldn't actually discern any hitching or dropped frames with my old card. It seems like what they say about a solid 90 FPS to avoid motion sickness is true, even when I couldn't actually consciously perceive any framerate issues before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

El Grillo posted:

^^they're pretty poo poo reviewers sometimes. They have an absolute aversion to knowing anything about the games they're reviewing, it seems. Kind of irritating.

I love most of their quicklooks because they don't know what's going on and it's hilarious.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I love most of their quicklooks because they don't know what's going on and it's hilarious.

Their quicklook format is usually "one person has played the game for a couple of days and has to explain it to the others", which I think works pretty well. For the VR ones they generally don't bother with the person who knows what's going on, which seems fair because most of the current titles aren't worth that much effort.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It gives me a chance to check out a game I'd never buy. I'm watching an hour long video about Rugby because it's hilarious. They do usually get one guy who knows something about the game or if it's a sport game, the sport the game is about.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've definitely noticed some slowdown in terms of actual game framerate with my 1070 but the "look" framerate has been silky smooth, which I guess is what keeps me from feeling nauseated. ATW is cool. I wish American Truck Sim ran better - unstable framerate on High but the resolution general crispness looks too bad with anything lower.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder how a 1060, 1070 and 1080 compare to my 980ti for VR applications. The 1060's supposed to be slightly better than a 980, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some of the "SUPER CRAZY VR PERFORMANCE GAINS" features haven't been implemented in most things. I think Unreal and/or Unity have them. Any game made on a custom engine like most simulators will need to implement it themselves.