Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yukitsu posted:

Just as a reminder to anyone in the tournament, I'll be drafting up the matches by tomorrow evening and I still need a few lists for participants. If you signed up for the tournament, read this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post461766598

Any rough idea of when this will take place? Or are we scheduling our own matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

The trait system is honestly just real loving stupid and I wouldn't at all mind just having it turned off entirely.

There is a mod that changes trait triggers to 'make sense', and disabled purely negative traits like Harsh.
(I don't know what the new triggers are so i can't say if they make sense)

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

rockopete posted:

Any rough idea of when this will take place? Or are we scheduling our own matches?

I'll be posting up the brackets by tomorrow and I'll give you until the end of the weekend to send me your matches. It'll be up to you lot to organize when you can get together to play then send me the replays.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you pause and zoom in, you can actually see the grudges carved on the grudge thrower's projectiles....

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

I'll be posting up the brackets by tomorrow and I'll give you until the end of the weekend to send me your matches. It'll be up to you lot to organize when you can get together to play then send me the replays.
Well shoot. I won't even be back home in time to play until the 15th. I wish you guys a good tourney!

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

There is a mod that changes trait triggers to 'make sense', and disabled purely negative traits like Harsh.
(I don't know what the new triggers are so i can't say if they make sense)

If you're referring to Prometheus' mod, it doesn't disable Harsh. I still had Manny pick up harsh after a city fight. What it does do is drastically reduce the chances of getting those poo poo traits, including Untrustworthy, after executing captives. It also disables certain traits on your LL, like Fearful, and stops you from getting traits that don't make any sense, like Likes Dwarves on Grimgor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find I do better as orcs when I'm actually angry. I guess they need a gently caress it attitude to do well

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In my dwarf campaign Karl just broke non-aggression, and a couple of turns before dissolved trade agreement. I don't even share a border, was trading through the sea line. Relationship at around 0, I don't get what's the deal with puffy helmet's actions.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The AI just does things, it's best not to question it. Did the great power malus start to override whatever relations bonuses you had?

As VCs is it worth researching the +15% settlement income tech? It's ten turns and not really a fantastic bonus but I always struggle to break more than 1k/turn once I get a few turns in.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 8, 2016

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Here's a cool mod for Bretonnia that adds a lot of interesting-looking (but probably horribly imbalanced) units

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

alex314 posted:

In my dwarf campaign Karl just broke non-aggression, and a couple of turns before dissolved trade agreement. I don't even share a border, was trading through the sea line. Relationship at around 0, I don't get what's the deal with puffy helmet's actions.

Mouse over the coloured face to tell the modifiers for like/dislike

FutonForensic posted:

Here's a cool mod for Bretonnia that adds a lot of interesting-looking (but probably horribly imbalanced) units

what are the recommended mods now?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

I can't remember their exact stats but I'm pretty sure the 'decent melee combatant' swordsmen are at least as good as empire swordsmen without honest steel while also having double their armour.

And holy lol those temple guards. If they're actually ethereal they have 80% phys res, 90 armour (which if it stacks in any way would make them pretty much immune to physical damage), magic attacks, 75 anti-large/anti-inf weapon damage and good melee stats. I mean there's only 6 in a unit but I'm not sure it matters at that point, they could probably kill an indefinite amount of anything that doesn't do magic damage.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gitro posted:

As VCs is it worth researching the +15% settlement income tech? It's ten turns and not really a fantastic bonus but I always struggle to break more than 1k/turn once I get a few turns in.

Definitely. You don't have many good income buildings and you'll always try to get the max level settlement anyway. I think you overexpand your army or rely too heavilly on expensive units. Or you don't use moneymancers, 1k/turn is way too unless you're in the middle of offensive and with a healthy buffer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just to make sure, 80% physical resist is like having 160 armor, right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
"We finally wiped out the northern tribes, everyone! declare war on one another!"

I'm still fighting the orcs you fucks! I don't have the money to fight so many wars while three stacks are still leaving the North!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

wiegieman posted:

Just to make sure, 80% physical resist is like having 160 armor, right?

No, since every attack has a little armour piercing. It's kind of hard to quantify but I think you could value it the same as about 180-190 armour assuming you're facing non-armour piercing units.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yukitsu posted:

No, since every attack has a little armour piercing. It's kind of hard to quantify but I think you could value it the same as about 180-190 armour assuming you're facing non-armour piercing units.

Yeah, this is why I like wraiths so much. They're like gently caress you to anyone who didn't bring enough magic, and their small health pool is actually a plus when you consider nehek.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How exactly are you supposed to fight Savage Orc spam armies. I'm up against Top-Knotz WAAAAGHs which include 8-10 troll units apiece and everything else is a big-un.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, this is why I like wraiths so much. They're like gently caress you to anyone who didn't bring enough magic, and their small health pool is actually a plus when you consider nehek.

To be fair, if they had a large HP pool, they wouldn't even need Nehek.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

alex314 posted:

Definitely. You don't have many good income buildings and you'll always try to get the max level settlement anyway. I think you overexpand your army or rely too heavilly on expensive units. Or you don't use moneymancers, 1k/turn is way too unless you're in the middle of offensive and with a healthy buffer.

I mean I can have like one necromancer before turn 40 or so if I rush to them. In my current game it's turn 20-30, I've got two armies that are mostly chaff with 4 vargheists and a crypt horror between them plus kemmler's starting units. I'm sitting around 600/turn on turn 17. I'm in the middle of expanding westward, most of my income is from sacking then building up some econ stuff. Shwartzhofen won't trade with me despite being at +96.

I've done the same with dwarves (though that was on hard, don't know if you get more background income then) and the main difference seems to be they actually have good econ buildings, so sacking a settlement for a quick shot in the arm and building up a couple toolmakers gets you a pretty big jump whereas with VCs a level 1 settlement can't even build a gibbet, which is garbage for money anyway. I don't know, there's just something about their economy that doesn't click for me.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 8, 2016

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
You get a necromancer as a reward from the Hel Fenn story mission, which you can do around turn five without trouble - Mannfred and Fluffy can practically solo the Empire forces if there's a half-dozen units of zombies to distract some of the army, and Kemmler's horseywraiths brutalize the poor Reiksguard.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

How exactly are you supposed to fight Savage Orc spam armies. I'm up against Top-Knotz WAAAAGHs which include 8-10 troll units apiece and everything else is a big-un.

Get a bunch of wolf riders/spider riders/whatever your favourite range cavalry unit, turn on skirmish mode, then lead them around the map and laugh as you use the Skaeling and Varg tactics for yourself. Otherwise a bunch of ranged units on foot and some decent infantry that won't run in a second, send the range around the flanks of your melee line once you're engaged and shoot the savages in the flank and back. Savage Orcs lost leadership in the last patch, they'll break easier than before, especially with ranged attacks to the flanks and back.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
In the tabletop the Vampire Counts have three named lords (that aren't heroes or End Times folks): Mannfred, Kemmler, and Vlad.

That sort of narrows down the possible choice for the VCs' new legendary lord doesn't it?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Necroskowitz posted:

In the tabletop the Vampire Counts have three named lords (that aren't heroes or End Times folks): Mannfred, Kemmler, and Vlad.

That sort of narrows down the possible choice for the VCs' new legendary lord doesn't it?

I still think they'll do Krell.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

In a hypothetical Lustria expansion it'd be fun to get the vampire pirate king guy as a LL.

Also it's theoretically possible for Krull, the Khorne champion wight created by Kemmler, might be a LL at some point.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Tehan posted:

You get a necromancer as a reward from the Hel Fenn story mission, which you can do around turn five without trouble - Mannfred and Fluffy can practically solo the Empire forces if there's a half-dozen units of zombies to distract some of the army, and Kemmler's horseywraiths brutalize the poor Reiksguard.

That's why I said I can have one necromancer. -20% build costs are great but it's not really helping me make a huge amount more money. A gibbet goes from a 10 turn to an 8 turn payoff, which still makes it about 4 times worse than any other race's basic econ building. 15% more income would be great but it's a slow process to get there and not really worth losing out on the deployment bonus most of the time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone tried the building overhaul? It sounds interesting, I'm just not sure how balanced a project like this is able to be (a modder not being able to playtest to anything like the degree of the original)/

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone tried the building overhaul? It sounds interesting, I'm just not sure how balanced a project like this is able to be (a modder not being able to playtest to anything like the degree of the original)/

You killed the thread you bastad..

Looks interesting i'll probably try it out in one of my upcomming campaigns because i cannot stop playing this goddamned game.

Also y'all are really wishful thinking Krell honestly, hes neat but im not sure hes iconic enough to be a stand-alone LL. Neferata sounds more interesting (hell shes the one who MADE the vampires after all) and hey a female LL why the hell not?

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 8, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Dunno if GW would be okay with basically the chief rival of the Vampire Counts being the LL for that faction. That said, a proper Lahmian sub-faction of sorts which combines vampires and the Empire (as Lahmians are all about subverting and controlling the Empire from within) would be cool.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Lassitude posted:

Dunno if GW would be okay with basically the chief rival of the Vampire Counts being the LL for that faction. That said, a proper Lahmian sub-faction of sorts which combines vampires and the Empire (as Lahmians are all about subverting and controlling the Empire from within) would be cool.

That'd require a specific update that expands the map or something. The Lahmians aren't based in Sylvania, they're way off in an old dwarf hold, the silver pinnacle. They'd be so badly surrounded by dwarves that it'd be almost impossible to survive or expand. Mostly, for them to be viable, the diplomacy system would have to be very fleshed out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Necroskowitz posted:

Don't forget Neferata and her Kitty Cat!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any tips on using missile units? I've been having issues with them getting obstructed, even when I think they should have relatively clear lines of fire or on higher ground. Is there any way to just set them to find targets? Skirmish mode?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any tips on using missile units? I've been having issues with them getting obstructed, even when I think they should have relatively clear lines of fire or on higher ground. Is there any way to just set them to find targets? Skirmish mode?

Missile units in Fire at Will mode without order to shoot at anything specific will try to shoot anything within their firing arc. Skirmish mode will just cause your archers to run away whenever an enemy gets too close. Except for skirmish cavalry I generally prefer Guard mode for my archers. Keeps them from wandering into the melee when their target runs away.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
TWW has been one of the most forgiving in the series as a whole I've seen for letting all your ranks fire, even with handgunners/thunderers, so missile units seem pretty strong overall. They also seem more adverse than ever to shoot right into the backs of your units, sometimes opting not to do so at all when melee blobs become mixed, one huge improvement I felt about the game.

The usual tactics are about setting them as a picket line to chip off an advance, or wheel them around the flanks when you have two melee lines clash, or most will recommend using the checkerboard formation from the OP. They're always set on fire-at-will for every battle, and yeah, Skirmish mode is only useful if you just want to set and forget their behaviour during a large battle, otherwise they run way too quickly at incoming charges and usually don't fire their weapons before being attacked regardless.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Drakhoran posted:

Missile units in Fire at Will mode without order to shoot at anything specific will try to shoot anything within their firing arc. Skirmish mode will just cause your archers to run away whenever an enemy gets too close. Except for skirmish cavalry I generally prefer Guard mode for my archers. Keeps them from wandering into the melee when their target runs away.

This is actually not true in my experience. Often if ranged units first choice of target in fire at will is blocked, they simply will not fire at anyone and require a manual target

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I've got a quick lore question, is the timeline for this game Cyclical? I know canonically the chaos invasion pretty much succeeded and the old world was destroyed during End Times, but i'm confused as to whether the age of myths, which I thought already occurred, or the age of sigmar comes after.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Truecon420 posted:

I've got a quick lore question, is the timeline for this game Cyclical? I know canonically the chaos invasion pretty much succeeded and the old world was destroyed during End Times, but i'm confused as to whether the age of myths, which I thought already occurred, or the age of sigmar comes after.

Chaos makes frequent invasions. This game seems to take the Storm of Chaos campaign as its tentative inspiration, so it isn't quite as stupid as the End Times invasion, but it's certainly not the Age of Myths or Age of Sigmar.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Chaos makes frequent invasions. This game seems to take the Storm of Chaos campaign as its tentative inspiration, so it isn't quite as stupid as the End Times invasion, but it's certainly not the Age of Myths or Age of Sigmar.

Alright that helps, thanks. But I was also wondering in general lore what happens after the End Times... is it the Age of Myth, and the Timeline is cyclical? or does it just go on to age of Sigmar?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yukitsu posted:

That'd require a specific update that expands the map or something. The Lahmians aren't based in Sylvania, they're way off in an old dwarf hold, the silver pinnacle. They'd be so badly surrounded by dwarves that it'd be almost impossible to survive or expand. Mostly, for them to be viable, the diplomacy system would have to be very fleshed out.

Silver Peak is just their secret HQ where Neferata hangs and trains new recruits to infiltrate the Empire. I'm talking about essentially coopting a minor Empire province/faction for Lahmia and having it be primarily an Empire faction, but with a vampire twist. So maybe instead of explicitly conquering everything, the goal is more to spread Lahmian influence, and eventually subjugate the other provinces. I dunno, half-baked idea. It's just that, I mean, that's what Lahmians are about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One thing about ranged units is they really cannot shoot well at units out of direct line with the formation. So while they can hit units in fire at will, without a command they won't line up with targets and shoot a lot less as a result.

• Locked thread