Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ligur posted:

Like waitwhatno says it's just hype, but he forgot to add Eurocrats and their political cronies indulge in it. They try to scare everyone into believing just about anything that goes against what they say: apocalypse!!1 Honestly, everything from restoring temporary border controls to a 5 kilometer strip to quitting the whole Union is painted, like you say, a horrid unrecoverable crisis (then the sky doesn't fall after all).

I wouldn't even find EU so superbly distatesful, but all the threats, the bulling, the attempts to terrify the public into submission are, to me, almost as bad as their shady power grabbing deals, the lying, or forcing European tax payers to save private banks which gently caress up.

edit:
arrrgh, I got sort of pissed of just thinking about this. "No, we can't do this minor thing! It threatens EUROPEAN CORE VALUES!" or "No, we can't do this little thing, it threatens EUROPEAN UNITY!" are possibly the most over-used at least in my hoods.

That's nothing concrete, those are just immaterial ideas.

Also I had no idea the "poor" (or at least less well off) caused Brexit.

I more meant that nobody seems to adhere to policy once it's set. Seems like a constant negotiation, like the constitution doesn't work well or has no legitimacy. Guess that might be normal for a horizontal organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Riso posted:

Same day Austria votes again on its president.

Make the Austro-Hungarian Republic great again.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

orange sky posted:

Grey line
French labour reform bill - main points
-The 35-hour week remains in place, but as an average. Firms can negotiate with local trade unions on more or fewer hours from week to week, up to a maximum of 46 hours
-Firms are given greater freedom to reduce pay
-The law eases conditions for laying off workers, strongly regulated in France. It is hoped companies will take on more people if they know they can shed jobs in case of a downturn
-Employers given more leeway to negotiate holidays and special leave, such as maternity or for getting married. These are currently also heavily regulated

"It is hoped companies will take on more people if they know they can shed jobs in case of a downturn" - This is obviously not going to harm anyone at all, no sir.

Make rules
Add one billion exceptions

Regards,
the French

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The 35 hours work week was the last time in French history a measure actually reduced unemployment. So ever since then, both the right and the right-in-left's-clothing have tried to get rid of it. Since they couldn't just simply roll it back, they just defanged it as much as possible by adding tons of derogations and by making overtime pay less.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Arglebargle III posted:

I more meant that nobody seems to adhere to policy once it's set. Seems like a constant negotiation, like the constitution doesn't work well or has no legitimacy. Guess that might be normal for a horizontal organization.

Yeah most of the time nobody gives a poo poo if something is hard to implement locally or just sounds like it sucks or is expensive vs what it brings back. You can easily just ignore stuff that is agreed on and simply not do it. What can EU do? They have no divisions to send your way after all? All they can do is negotiate more. The unhappy case is, they are still a huge money sink, and we have ECB and so on, so if you completely burn your economy to the ground or cook the books they can cut off the lifeline.

Finland is exception though: our politicians and goverment officials do everything by the book and follow the German example to the T otherwise, but that is an exception that confirms the rule... sigh.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 5, 2016

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Spain and Portugal may be the first EU member states to be hit with fines for failing to comply with the deficit rules

quote:

Spain and Portugal were hit by a European Union move to fine them for breaching budget deficit limits in an unprecedented step to enforce rules designed to avert another debt crisis.
European finance ministers must now decide whether to back the proposal by the European Commission. Should the recommendation be approved, the commission would have 20 days to propose fines that could reach as high as 0.2 percent of gross domestic product, and a suspension of some regional funds. The penalties could be reduced or canceled for “exceptional” circumstances.

“The two countries have veered off track in the correction of their excessive deficits and have not met their budgetary targets,” Valdis Dombrovskis, a commission vice-president, told reporters in Brussels. “Reducing the high deficit and debt levels is a pre-condition for sustainable economic growth in both countries."
The EU is weighing the need to enforce budget rules against a backdrop of wider calls to rally support for the bloc following the U.K.’s decision last month to leave. Spain’s Acting Economy Minister Luis de Guindos has been adamant that sanctions would be unreasonable as the government is working to fix its economy after the financial crisis -- an argument countered by proponents of austerity.

“These rules contain some flexibility, but in this case the flexibility has been used up,” Jeroen Dijsselbloem, the Dutch finance minister who leads the group of his euro-area counterparts, said in The Hague earlier Thursday. “When I look at the numbers I really have to conclude that Spain and Portugal did too little.”

The member states can still overturn the sanctions, but as a result of the tightening of the Stability and Growth Pact they now need a qualified majority to stop the sanctions rather than a majority to approve them.

Obviously fines aren't going to help Spain and Portugal meet the deficit targets, but rules are rules, I guess.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 7, 2016

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah this makes sense.

"Do X, it'll work, for sure, or no more help for you"

*Does X, didn't work*

"Oh it didn't work? Too bad, here's a fine"

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
If the sanctions go through I'll vote yes on a referendum to leave. And I'm the most pro-EU person I know!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

KoldPT posted:

If the sanctions go through I'll vote yes on a referendum to leave. And I'm the most pro-EU person I know!

Costa do pull a Cameron and to keep goverment going gives in to BE and PCP a proposes a simple in/out referendum.

Cumprir o V Império!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This will surely go over really well

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Spain and Portugal may be the first EU member states to be hit with fines for failing to comply with the deficit rules

The member states can still overturn the sanctions, but as a result of the tightening of the Stability and Growth Pact they now need a qualified majority to stop the sanctions rather than a majority to approve them.

Obviously fines aren't going to help Spain and Portugal meet the deficit targets, but rules are rules, I guess.

It's amazing really, 'oh that deficit troubling you? Here, have some more deficit as we fine your rear end'. :ironicat:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The whole policy of fining people for not having enough money is so astoundingly stupid it can only have been dreamed up by an ordoliberal. “When I look at the numbers I really have to conclude that Spain and Portugal did too little.” Yeah, you loving little piece of poo poo, you look at the numbers and only the numbers. Not the causes of why the numbers are how they are. You know why the numbers are what they are? It's not because Spain and Portugal did too little, it's because they did too much.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well to be fair, to say nothing regarding the rules themselves it is kind of hard to impose a penalty for rule transgressions that is not straight up an even lesser democratic influence for the offending country.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 7, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

The whole policy of fining people for not having enough money is so astoundingly stupid it can only have been dreamed up by an ordoliberal.

To be "fair" this is basically the right-wing's endgame build. They powerleveled super hard to reach this point and with their bonuses are getting closer to the enviable end of the Right-Wing Tech Tree: Literally Shadowrun

visit me at lovely analogies dot com for more incredible insight

Also who do they expect to pay for things? The rich? (Parliament pauses for laugh track, gets absolute silence, continues like they had received roaring applause)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If the rule is not enforced remove it completely. It cannot be just ignored again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

What are the stipulations in case Portugal and Spain simply refuse to pay the fines?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

What are the stipulations in case Portugal and Spain simply refuse to pay the fines?

Reduce the EU funding they receive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean technically that's all true but even the most blind commissioner must realise that in doing so they're cutting off the branch the EU is sitting on. Europe is already widely unpopular and now you want to make yourself even more of an rear end in a top hat? Come on.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

double nine posted:

I mean technically that's all true but even the most blind commissioner must realise that in doing so they're cutting off the branch the EU is sitting on. Europe is already widely unpopular and now you want to make yourself even more of an rear end in a top hat? Come on.

i'm sorry could you reword this statement in the form of a profit graph, I cannot see or imagine anything except numbers.

What's all this "dire long-term consequences for this moronic short-term profit obsession" bullshit, I meant numbers for RIGHT NOW. Get this poo poo off of my desk.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

If the rule is not enforced remove it completely.

Since the rule in question is stupid, yes, it should be removed entirely, and it should never have existed in the first place.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Wasn't Germany the first to break the fiscal pact and tell the rest to go gently caress off? Or was it France?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Since the rule in question is stupid, yes, it should be removed entirely, and it should never have existed in the first place.

That might be true. The options tho should be enforcement or removal, not an exception to it.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riso posted:

Wasn't Germany the first to break the fiscal pact and tell the rest to go gently caress off? Or was it France?

Much harder to fine the countries that contribute most of the EU budget vs countries which have been net recipients of EU funds for decades. "gently caress off, I'm not paying" means a lot more when it comes from someone who was actually paying at some point.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I love that in your maths economy never counts. Nevermind that Germany gets the best out of every economic deal and profits out of what the others are paying. Nevermind the salary differences between all countries. Nevermind the huge brain drain the richest countries have inflicted on all the others, due to industry and investigation being extremely tilted. Nevermind that due to higher and higher taxes in austerity the companies are fleeing the poor countries and paying taxes in the richest ones. They should just pay what they owe and shut the gently caress up!

Sad!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You forget to whom you are speaking

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

orange sky posted:

Germany gets the best out of every economic deal and profits out of what the others are paying

Germany was doing so well in the 1990s that they were called "the sick man of Europe"... I guess the first 40 years of the EU/EEC don't count?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Shazback posted:

Germany was doing so well in the 1990s that they were called "the sick man of Europe"... I guess the first 40 years of the EU/EEC don't count?

Yes Germany in the 90's, I wonder what happened during it. A mystery I'm sure.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
To the people who want the Stability and Growth Pact abolished: How would you ensure that Euro countries will stay solvent in the future?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Go back to individual currencies again by giving up on the Eurozone, problem solved.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

To the people who want the Stability and Growth Pact abolished: How would you ensure that Euro countries will stay solvent in the future?

Reforms to change the way states borrow money.

Also solvency is overrated. Just look at the US debt.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

The Euro is stupid unless you allow fiscal transfers or come up with a way to allow eurozone members to implement monetary policy to control their money supply. The former wont happen and the latter is going back to individual currencies.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Reforms to change the way states borrow money.

Also solvency is overrated. Just look at the US debt.

How exactly would you reform it? I guess you could force banks to no longer view sovereign debt as riskless assets, but that would wreck the banking system, especially in the South, at this point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

awesome-express posted:

The Euro is stupid unless you allow fiscal transfers or come up with a way to allow eurozone members to implement monetary policy to control their money supply. The former wont happen and the latter is going back to individual currencies.

I swear loving Germany, they might not be solely responsible for creating this shitstain of a situation but drat if they aren't doing their best to make it worse.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I swear loving Germany, they might not be solely responsible for creating this shitstain of a situation but drat if they aren't doing their best to make it worse.

What is the rational argument you can make to the German public why they should subsidize other countries even more without having any direct control over their policies?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

without having any direct control over their policies?

You kind of do.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

orange sky posted:

You kind of do.

No. Look at the current situation in Greece, it would look very different if the German government had direct control.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

What is the rational argument you can make to the German public why they should subsidize other countries even more without having any direct control over their policies?

The EU gives Germany more power and control over Europe than they would have without it, and the EU cannot exist without subsidies. How's that?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

doverhog posted:

The EU gives Germany more power and control over Europe than they would have without it, and the EU cannot exist without subsidies. How's that?

But that doesn't personally directly give me a bigger number in the bank account :qqsay:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

doverhog posted:

Germany has less power than Malta relative to it's size in the EU, so I would argue that Malta's boost in power through the EU is even larger than the boost Germany gets (btw. this is true for all countries in the EU).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Relative size, who cares, Germany still has the most.