Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Taeke posted:

Isn't the whole Morrowind lore the result of one of the writers going on a legit coke/alcohol fuelled writing-binge?

Yeah, Michael Kirkbride, he is a crazy fucker on like six kinds of skooma and it's mostly awesome as hell. It's why a bunch of intensely racist slave-owning rear end in a top hat dunmer still inhabit a society that is extremely easy to give a poo poo about, and also why the dwemer were a bunch of loving badass Mesopotamian elves who used math and music to control reality and then uploaded themselves into the metal skin of a god they built (but being TES there are plenty of other ideas about what really happened and that's just one of the better-supported ones).

Also anyone talking poo poo about Leliana better check themselves because she turns into Murderpope I, changes all the rules because she wants to keep banging her girlfriend, and basically says "Every one of you assholes better get along and be nice, or I'll have you all loving killed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Her edgy assassin schtick gets a little more grating as the series goes on. Origins is the only game where it feels like she has any character.

Leliana is an assassin? :eyepop: I only recruited her in my second playthrough which petered out halfway through.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Pharaoh Rebirth+ is a fun level-based action platforming game. However the thing dragging it down is midway through the game you are traveling through a mountain, and the designers decided it would be fun to make you drive the way there yourself... on minecart rails. On the best of days I absolutely loathe minecart levels, and this game commits the sin of not only having a minecart section, but having four of them back to back. Each section requires both perfect reflexes and rote memorization of the route in order to succeed. The optional collectibles for the level are all scattered across the minecart tracks as well, and you don't keep them if you die after grabbing them.

But that is not the worst part. No, see you can return to any level from the menu provided you've beaten the boss. If you return to the minecart level to grab collectibles you missed, the on rails segments are not only harder, longer, and unskippable, but also timed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm reminded of Hearthstone's adventures, now.

Basically, when they release cards, it's either in packs that contain random cards from a given set, or in adventures where you have to beat AI bosses in order to get guaranteed cards. Since these aren't typical games, the designers have fun with creating interesting gimmicks that would be absurd or impossible in normal play, like a boss that steals your deck at the start of the match and forces you to fight him with a deliberately lovely premade deck.

One of the gimmicks they went with in the last adventure, League of Explorers, was to create "boss" fights where the goal is only to survive for a number of turns. One of these let you use your own deck; the other (set in a minecart track, so you know where this is heading) provides you with a premade deck.

Problem was, it was entirely possible for the AI to randomly get really strong minions to kill you way before you reached the end, especially if you got lovely draws. And a number of the cards in your deck sucked hard (like one that only advanced the turn timer by one). And unlike nearly every other battle, you're hard-capped at playing only two cards per turn.

The RNG could swing so hard that more than a few people claimed they had an easier time on Heroic (the "developers are personally telling you to go gently caress yourself" hard mode) than the default Normal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Regalingualius posted:

I'm reminded of Hearthstone's adventures, now.

Basically, when they release cards, it's either in packs that contain random cards from a given set, or in adventures where you have to beat AI bosses in order to get guaranteed cards. Since these aren't typical games, the designers have fun with creating interesting gimmicks that would be absurd or impossible in normal play, like a boss that steals your deck at the start of the match and forces you to fight him with a deliberately lovely premade deck.

One of the gimmicks they went with in the last adventure, League of Explorers, was to create "boss" fights where the goal is only to survive for a number of turns. One of these let you use your own deck; the other (set in a minecart track, so you know where this is heading) provides you with a premade deck.

Problem was, it was entirely possible for the AI to randomly get really strong minions to kill you way before you reached the end, especially if you got lovely draws. And a number of the cards in your deck sucked hard (like one that only advanced the turn timer by one). And unlike nearly every other battle, you're hard-capped at playing only two cards per turn.

The RNG could swing so hard that more than a few people claimed they had an easier time on Heroic (the "developers are personally telling you to go gently caress yourself" hard mode) than the default Normal.

This is why as much as I love card games with adventure modes and poo poo, I kind of hate it at the same time because it seems like every time a developer tries to have a modicum of fun with the thing it turns into a shitsack of "well, RNG says I can't win this time". Like with Triple Triad, I've complained about before. There's an NPC I have to play against who drops an exclusive card you can only get by beating him until RNG coughs it up. He has a rule in play where any cards with an element are reduced by 1 on all sides, and if another card of the same element gets played that's another 1 removed. None of his cards have elements. So this means you can't use elements either.
He also has the best cards in the game. You see, NPCs don't get the same restrictions you do. Meanwhile players can't use more than two rare cards until they collect obscene amounts of cards. So basically all his cards have at least two sides that are 8 or higher. Most of them have 10's. I do mean he has literally the best cards. Unless you also have the best cards, most of the time you can generally just hope to draw with an NPC like this let alone hope to win because if someone places a card with a 10 side down, you can't really take it. You just have to hope the AI fucks up and places his cards with their vulnerable sides up like a moron since generally they're programmed just well enough that they'll almost never do that even if you bait them out with your own cards to give them a win.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

This is why as much as I love card games with adventure modes and poo poo, I kind of hate it at the same time because it seems like every time a developer tries to have a modicum of fun with the thing it turns into a shitsack of "well, RNG says I can't win this time". Like with Triple Triad, I've complained about before. There's an NPC I have to play against who drops an exclusive card you can only get by beating him until RNG coughs it up. He has a rule in play where any cards with an element are reduced by 1 on all sides, and if another card of the same element gets played that's another 1 removed. None of his cards have elements. So this means you can't use elements either.
He also has the best cards in the game. You see, NPCs don't get the same restrictions you do. Meanwhile players can't use more than two rare cards until they collect obscene amounts of cards. So basically all his cards have at least two sides that are 8 or higher. Most of them have 10's. I do mean he has literally the best cards. Unless you also have the best cards, most of the time you can generally just hope to draw with an NPC like this let alone hope to win because if someone places a card with a 10 side down, you can't really take it. You just have to hope the AI fucks up and places his cards with their vulnerable sides up like a moron since generally they're programmed just well enough that they'll almost never do that even if you bait them out with your own cards to give them a win.

You'll love FF14's Triple Triad. You're given a bunch of poo poo cards that max out at 5 on a single side meanwhile you got NPCs running 8s and 9s easily. Also none of them have simple rules, no they're all same or plus or random or some other rule. And that last one is really fun, you have 60 or so cards so you can get RNG'd into a bunch of lovely cards meanwhile the NPC only has like 7 cards total that they cycle through and they can easily brute force through different rules with higher numbered sides. Oh and the kicker? You cannot use the better cards until you get so many cards in your deck! Got yourself a few 5 star cards, wanna not use those crappy 2 star cards? Too bad, gently caress off, either run dungeons to get card drops or suffer through playing NPCs until their cards drop (oh, and cards you get from beating NPCs is given out randomly)

E: Really, that first day trying to beat King Elmer and having him undo all my plus flips by just brute forcing with his higher tiered cards made me completely bench triple triad in FF14

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Too bad that it's a horribly loving mess to play, especially if you've actually played a modern game with real gameplay, but ehh.

Combat requiring you to both hit someone and also have that succeed in a dice roll was loving awful. I could never get into morrowing because only a quarter of the hits I could see connecting were doing damage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

You'll love FF14's Triple Triad. You're given a bunch of poo poo cards that max out at 5 on a single side meanwhile you got NPCs running 8s and 9s easily. Also none of them have simple rules, no they're all same or plus or random or some other rule. And that last one is really fun, you have 60 or so cards so you can get RNG'd into a bunch of lovely cards meanwhile the NPC only has like 7 cards total that they cycle through and they can easily brute force through different rules with higher numbered sides. Oh and the kicker? You cannot use the better cards until you get so many cards in your deck! Got yourself a few 5 star cards, wanna not use those crappy 2 star cards? Too bad, gently caress off, either run dungeons to get card drops or suffer through playing NPCs until their cards drop (oh, and cards you get from beating NPCs is given out randomly)

E: Really, that first day trying to beat King Elmer and having him undo all my plus flips by just brute forcing with his higher tiered cards made me completely bench triple triad in FF14

14 is what I'm talking about. Specifically, Hab out in the middle of the loving desert. He's a huge rear end in a top hat gently caress him :argh:.

But yeah Random is really bad since the NPC gets such a small deck to mess with and zero limitations so hey, they get a consistant hand of nothing but 5* cards while you're stuck using a bunch of 2* cards. Maybe you'll get something good if you're lucky. What makes it even more annoying is that getting better cards isn't even all that helpful once you start playing the higher end NPCs since they all play stupidly defensive. So if a guy has a card that's like 1,2,9,X he's almost always going to put that in a corner where you can't touch it unless you have a card that has an X on the top side, but if you're dumb enough to do that it's just going to get your card taken. So that's basically one spot you'll never get to take. And every play is like that, it always ends in a draw because you can't take their cards and they just don't give a poo poo about taking yours. Playing the Indolent Imperial or whoever that had Ascension on was a real loving blast because all of his cards were like 8+ so depending on the random hand he got, there was a pretty good chance that after two plays he would be literally unbeatable with a hand of cards that had two or more X sides that you could never take.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Too bad that it's a horribly loving mess to play, especially if you've actually played a modern game with real gameplay, but ehh.
true, it's nice that they kept some aspects the same for the following games.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Everytime I really get into a groove with Witcher 3 I always get virtual whiplash over how bad Roach is. Especially since I've been on Skellige this week. I don't understand what's happening when I'm galloping down an open road and Roach decides to just stop in his place like I pulled back on the thumbstick, even if I've been pushing forward on it. I don't get why roach spawns in the worst places when you call him and gets stuck on everything. I don't get why Roach just randomly decides when to just stop following the road and fly off a cliff. And why in quests where you are chasing or running from somebody on horseback (even the racing quests) why I have to deal with a sprint meter for Roach when outside it doesn't matter as long as I follow the road.

Roach is buggy and broken, and it's annoying.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Morpheus posted:

Monster Hunter and it's inability to communicate any important information to the player about the monsters.

Morpheus posted:

Ho ho ho man let me tell you about Monster Hunter.

Damage calculation is a horrendous multi-layered trainwreck of hidden numbers and multipliers.

I absolutely love Monster Hunter as well, but it doesn't stop there with obtuse systems. Not only do you have to worry about building up your weapon through upgrades to have the appropriate damage and elemental type you want, but then you have to worry about other drastic changes that your weapon can undergo that would completely destroy it for your character that you have no way of knowing would happen without outside assistance.

As you upgrade your weapon you'll end up branching into different tiers. As a made-up example, your bow can upgrade from a steel bow into a poison bow or an ice bow. Then from there, the poison bow can transform into a fire bow or lightning bow, while the ice bow can transform into a water bow or a platinum bow. Let's say that maybe your end result you want to go for is a fire bow, but you didn't know that the only way to end up with that is to go poison first and you chose ice. Now you've gone too far down that route and need to start over.

Let's say that you read on a wiki (which again, in an ideal world you shouldn't have to, but I digress) the optimal upgrade route to get what you want: a fire bow. So you go through the upgrade and now you're set with a sweet fire bow. But wait a minute: this bow shoots piercing shots, and you're built for spread shots! You forgot to check the level of the charge shot types since you didn't expect that to change as well! Not only that, but this bow doesn't take the power coating that you like, so that means it's actually weaker than other alternatives! There are so many variables that can change through the upgrade procedure that need to be tortuously considered, and you have to upgrade eventually because you need more damage. So, you start over again or suck it up or whatever. This isn't all too bad as having a variety of weapons is necessary, but trying to get all the pieces together to work for each monster and your armor set and etc, and then...

Another niggle in the game is the material acquisition to build all this stuff you need. I'll forgo the fact that the game eventually becomes worse than the most grindy pay-to-win MMO when it comes to getting rare materials. But not only are the percentages bad, the way to get them can be absurd as well, lowering the probability space even further.

The ironclad rule of hunting is that when it's possible to capture the beast, do so, as the number of rewards you get goes up with a live critter in the bag. This is information that actually is explained in the game, so, you'll almost always want to capture the beast. But there do exist cases where a certain material can only be gathered from carving a dead monster, or by breaking a piece off of a monster. Why does the material mysteriously vanish if the monster is captured? And how would you possibly know any of this information? Wiki, wiki, wiki.

EDIT: I just remembered another weird system where someone found that, depending on what day/time you started your game in Monster Hunter, determined what types of charm drops you would be getting in the game? So people had to deliberately plan when to start their game to get the drops they wanted. I'm sure someone else has more information on this; nowadays I'm trying to be more relaxed and not care about this stuff. Just pick the weapons that are pretty, as some people said.

FutureCop has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Jul 7, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The biggest problem with MH is they made a weapon called a GUNLANCE and its just this dumb log with C4 strapped to the end you kinda wave in the enemies face and detonate, making it neither a gun nor a lance.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Not to mention the fact that you had to sharpen your weapon even if you're a hammer user. The whole point of the weapon is that it isn't sharp!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FutureCop posted:

EDIT: I just remembered another weird system where someone found that, depending on what day/time you started your game in Monster Hunter, determined what types of charm drops you would be getting in the game? So people had to deliberately plan when to start their game to get the drops they wanted. I'm sure someone else has more information on this; nowadays I'm trying to be more relaxed and not care about this stuff. Just pick the weapons that are pretty, as some people said.

Basically the drops of charms are determined by a charm table, which is seeded when you turn on the game. Which is dumb. Whatever. What's great is that in MH3, they cocked this up monumentally, and instead of being seeded every time you start up the game, it got seeded once, when you created your character at the beginning of the game. There were a few charm tables that were utter poo poo and lock you out from some of the better charms of the game, and if you started your character at the wrong time, you were stuck with this table. They never fixed this. Just so dumb.

Yeah there's no reference charts or anything in-game, which would be just great (and even make sense in-world, which is really bizarre). So if you want to know where to get some sort of 'Crimson Blastheart' or something, oh man, you're heading straight to a wiki. Because otherwise you're hoping for that 1% drop, or a low-chance drop that only occurs when you perform a special task, like breaking a part of the monster.

Also, breaking monster parts rarely does anything. I have a MH concept art/design book, and it's full of awesome ideas - at one point they show a monster and break down how you could make an axe out of its tail, or a sword out of its beak, and how breaking those parts would cripple the monster and make it unable to do certain things, and it looked so cool. Disappointed at the difference between that and the simple %-chance drop that always is used.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

FutureCop posted:

The ironclad rule of hunting is that when it's possible to capture the beast, do so, as the number of rewards you get goes up with a live critter in the bag. This is information that actually is explained in the game, so, you'll almost always want to capture the beast. But there do exist cases where a certain material can only be gathered from carving a dead monster, or by breaking a piece off of a monster. Why does the material mysteriously vanish if the monster is captured? And how would you possibly know any of this information? Wiki, wiki, wiki.

If that is actually explained in-game then that's lovely, because it isn't true. Capturing gives you either 2 or 3 drops, randomly; carving a dead monster gives you 3 every time. Captures roll on a different loot table, though, and sometimes the drop you need is only on that table (or it has a better chance than on the carving table).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Triarii posted:

If that is actually explained in-game then that's lovely, because it isn't true. Capturing gives you either 2 or 3 drops, randomly; carving a dead monster gives you 3 every time. Captures roll on a different loot table, though, and sometimes the drop you need is only on that table (or it has a better chance than on the carving table).

On the balance capturing will definitely give you "better" drops. Of course sometimes you want the worse drops, like Queropeco scales or whatever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So FFXIV's story just kind of shits its self after the base game. You see, the base game had a fairly simple but fun progression of just constantly beating up monsters, beating up bigger monsters, beating up an empire then defeating the empire. Most of the quests involved killing things or doing dungeons.

Now that I've beaten the next set of story quests I've fought maybe one boss and done one dungeon but I've done twice as many quests. Almost every one of those quests was just to warp around the world and talk to some stupid NPC I don't really give a poo poo about because they exist solely to say a million boring words. I like doing the dungeons and fighting the bosses. I don't like doing loving nothing for an hour for zero reward. Which is another thing, the story quests go from giving you 22k exp and a decent amount of money to giving you like 5k exp and some pocket change. It costs more to travel to where you have to go, than you get paid in some cases.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Not to mention the fact that you had to sharpen your weapon even if you're a hammer user. The whole point of the weapon is that it isn't sharp!

And yet a hammer still cant cut tails. Also speaking of traps, i cannot count the number of times me and a friend tried setting a trap in front of a map's exit, only for the monster to limp away two steps to the right of it,passing it by and making it completely useless(and you can only set one trap at a time). After a point we just gave up and now only capture a monster while its sleeping.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Ularg posted:

Everytime I really get into a groove with Witcher 3 I always get virtual whiplash over how bad Roach is. Especially since I've been on Skellige this week. I don't understand what's happening when I'm galloping down an open road and Roach decides to just stop in his place like I pulled back on the thumbstick, even if I've been pushing forward on it. I don't get why roach spawns in the worst places when you call him and gets stuck on everything. I don't get why Roach just randomly decides when to just stop following the road and fly off a cliff. And why in quests where you are chasing or running from somebody on horseback (even the racing quests) why I have to deal with a sprint meter for Roach when outside it doesn't matter as long as I follow the road.

Roach is buggy and broken, and it's annoying.

Roach is perfect.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Roach is perfect.

Everything wrong with Roach, perfectly summed up. Motherfucker has the worst spawn locations and constantly stops on even minor differences in the floor. Skyrim horses were bad, but at least terrain wasn't an issue for them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So I've been playing the Wacky Wheels remake on Steam Early Access, because the original, despite being a generic Mario Kart clone, was a generic Mario Kart clone for DOS and thus the only one I had access to during MUH CHILDHOOD. It's...OK I guess? Probably not worth your :10bux: though.

But something really pisses me off. One of the selectable characters (they were all cute woodland critters driving riding lawnmowers repurposed as karts), in the original game, was a raccoon.

This ain't no loving raccoon. I could draw a more accurate raccoon when I was eight. Somebody was paid to come up with this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A White Guy posted:

Everything wrong with Roach, perfectly summed up. Motherfucker has the worst spawn locations and constantly stops on even minor differences in the floor. Skyrim horses were bad, but at least terrain wasn't an issue for them.

Someone post that video where the carriage ride at the very start of Skyrim flips the gently caress out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Someone post that video where the carriage ride at the very start of Skyrim flips the gently caress out.
this one?

This happens literally every time I've tried to start skyrim without the alternate start mod since the first time I've played. For the life of me I don't know what causes it. Except the time wolves attacked the horses. That time wolves caused it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So FFXIV's story just kind of shits its self after the base game. You see, the base game had a fairly simple but fun progression of just constantly beating up monsters, beating up bigger monsters, beating up an empire then defeating the empire. Most of the quests involved killing things or doing dungeons.

Now that I've beaten the next set of story quests I've fought maybe one boss and done one dungeon but I've done twice as many quests. Almost every one of those quests was just to warp around the world and talk to some stupid NPC I don't really give a poo poo about because they exist solely to say a million boring words. I like doing the dungeons and fighting the bosses. I don't like doing loving nothing for an hour for zero reward. Which is another thing, the story quests go from giving you 22k exp and a decent amount of money to giving you like 5k exp and some pocket change. It costs more to travel to where you have to go, than you get paid in some cases.

Oh just wait till the end of 2.55 and midway through 3.0. Big spoilers for some major poo poo that happens at the end of 2.55:

So at the end of 2.55 the Sultana of one of the city states is poisoned, and you are implicated for the murder. poo poo gets real as there is moves made to arrest you, the entire scions gets split up trying to escape, an entire military whose purpose is to get the three city states together goes rogue against you, the leader of the armed forces gets his arm cut off and is also accused of conspiring with you, its crazy. After that a ton of NPCs get unique dialogue, see you're too famous and powerful for the masses to believe you would kill the Sultana. Every guild leader NPC either can't believe the poo poo you were accused off, are worried that they heard some poo poo involving you has gone down, others offer to hide you until everything blows over. You can talk to various guard NPCs of the rogue military and they're either too scared, don't believe the accusations and simply know it would be too much of a pain to try and take you in. It really builds up all this tension that poo poo is hosed

Then what do they do midway through 3.0? They loving handwave the majority of it. Oh the Sultana wasn't really poisoned, it was just a deep sleeping potion that got swapped out at the last second. Oh and the rogue military took off. The political problems in Ul'dah returns to status quo and nothing comes from the Sutlana wanting to make it a democracy (which is why she was targeted for assassination in the first place) Way to completely destroy any intrigue about your story. And don't get me started about the Omega Weapon plotline that was just dropped.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Regalingualius posted:

The very first time I played Skyrim on the very loving hour of release the carriage ride at the start had my character get off on the opposite side of the carriage. He got stuck in the horses and I had to restart the game. loving Skyrim.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Oh just wait till the end of 2.55 and midway through 3.0. Big spoilers for some major poo poo that happens at the end of 2.55:

So at the end of 2.55 the Sultana of one of the city states is poisoned, and you are implicated for the murder. poo poo gets real as there is moves made to arrest you, the entire scions gets split up trying to escape, an entire military whose purpose is to get the three city states together goes rogue against you, the leader of the armed forces gets his arm cut off and is also accused of conspiring with you, its crazy. After that a ton of NPCs get unique dialogue, see you're too famous and powerful for the masses to believe you would kill the Sultana. Every guild leader NPC either can't believe the poo poo you were accused off, are worried that they heard some poo poo involving you has gone down, others offer to hide you until everything blows over. You can talk to various guard NPCs of the rogue military and they're either too scared, don't believe the accusations and simply know it would be too much of a pain to try and take you in. It really builds up all this tension that poo poo is hosed

Then what do they do midway through 3.0? They loving handwave the majority of it. Oh the Sultana wasn't really poisoned, it was just a deep sleeping potion that got swapped out at the last second. Oh and the rogue military took off. The political problems in Ul'dah returns to status quo and nothing comes from the Sutlana wanting to make it a democracy (which is why she was targeted for assassination in the first place) Way to completely destroy any intrigue about your story. And don't get me started about the Omega Weapon plotline that was just dropped.

:negative: I liked the whole thing with your buddy Thancred You know, possessed by the king evil jerk of evil jerks, giving the enemy information for the entire original storyline. Then after you beat his face in everyone's just cool with having him around again and they never talk about it again. They're pretty good at setting up interesting storylines but it seems like Square is just too afraid to kill off anyone not evil or something. It's kind of a bummer because there's no real tension in the storyline when you're 100% confident no one's going to come out worse for wear.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Freak posted:

The biggest problem with MH is they made a weapon called a GUNLANCE and its just this dumb log with C4 strapped to the end you kinda wave in the enemies face and detonate, making it neither a gun nor a lance.

It's named after a primitive form of gun, the Chinese fire lance.

Works in the manner you described, except without plastic explosives.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Skyrim horses were bad, but at least terrain wasn't an issue for them.

I'm still not entirely sure why the designers shaped it into something resembling a horse when the gameplay has all the characteristics of a rideable mountain goat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I'm still not entirely sure why the designers shaped it into something resembling a horse when the gameplay has all the characteristics of a rideable mountain goat.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to be a goat and the game started off a bit crazier and more morrowindy but really early on they were like "No, that's too interesting. Lets make it more like Oblivion. We had horses in Oblivion." So instead of cool war goats you have horses.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to be a goat and the game started off a bit crazier and more morrowindy but really early on they were like "No, that's too interesting. Lets make it more like Oblivion. We had horses in Oblivion." So instead of cool war goats you have horses.

Honestly i think Skyrim was a boring mediocre mess from the ground up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, I mean, a lot of us kind of binge through the FFXIV MSQs but they were released piecemeal, usually 2-3 months apart. If you imagine doing everything up to Leviathan, for example, and waiting on the Leviathan patch to drop. Then when it does, you go back to your scion bros to see what's new, they say "talk to this dweeb we hear something's up!" there's a minor npc you kill/deal with and that sets up the patch's big bossfight or dungeon. Then it's done, there's a cutscene implying it was a part of a bigger plan, and you do whatever until the next patch including a harder version of that boss/dungeon, other dungeons, events, etc., and the wheel keeps turning.

Same with the poo poo before Heavensward, it was a sum-up of the world prior to HW and was designed to give you a reason to bail and go to Ishgard, but they can't, ya know, have the nations actively seeking to arrest and kill you since that would mean you're not allowed to do quests or go to the cities. So they handwave a lot of the stuff. The political intrigue of Uldah is cool and disappointing but it has to remain sequestered away from the player for now, but also retain the conflict so you can solve it in some future patch.

I mean, yeah, when you do 3 years worth of story content in a week you're gonna think a lot of it is arbitrary fetch quests but you were supposed to have done them once every couple months.

e: It was really really dumb when I got escorted at the end of the pre-expansion content into a room by guards because I was under arrest or whatever when I could punk those mooks so easily, both gameplaywise and lore-wise. Literally I shot a beam of light through my hand to kill an immortal demigod, I just straight up murdered a dude without anything special who was piloting a superweapon, in addition to multiple huge magical beasts/gods with your bare hands (fists if you're a monk) and some conscript can arrest me? Please.

jokes has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Jul 8, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Spiders. They're spiders in cunning disguises.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So replaying .hack GU since I've never actually finished the series, having only ever finished the second before the third one came out. I like these games but early on there's a level 10 side quest that unlocks some bounty hunter stuff and it seems really run of the mill since before then you can run into dudes in fields, pop in and murder them to save the people they were attacking. But after you do the quest? Well it unlocks an end-game quest line. At level 10. So now when you enter one of those battle markers there's a very good chance there will be a guy stronger than some of the end bosses ready to just one shot your whole party instantly. Thanks, .hack. :negative: I was trying to play through without a guide this time, that'll show me.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Assassins Creed Syndicate is great but some of the things you have to do to gain perks are really annoying. Generally they're quite fun and easy to get during general gameplay, giving you a nudge to do things slightly differently to how you'd normally do it.

A few are infuriating, though:

Gone Lawing: Steal 50 police carriages. Police ride in twos and you can only hijack ones where there's a single policeman. So eliminate one policeman then steal the carriage without the other one getting out to chase you. 50 times.
London Drift: Pull a drift (a handbrake turn, basically) 5 times. You have to do this five times to get one out the the seventy-five you need. I can only assume they were rightfully embarrassed to outright state that you need to drift 325 times.
Quadra-kill: Get four enemies down to a near-death state and then trigger the animation that kills them all, except it's the most finickity thing in the world to do and the game just won't do it most of the time because gently caress you. Even triple is hard enough.
Counter-shot: When you're being targeted by a gunman, press Y to either dodge or countershoot, which one one you do is based on ????? and it's usually a dodge so good luck doing two within 30 seconds of each other fifty times to get your perk.
Multi-counter kill: I've been playing this game for 40 hours and I've seen two guys attack me at the same time like, twice. I could play it for the rest of my life and not have two near-death guys attack me at the same time fifty times.

So, having little side-objectives to incentivise variety when fighting and show off things a player might not try otherwise = good. Making them dumb and grindy = bad.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Walton Simons posted:

Assassins Creed Syndicate is great but some of the things you have to do to gain perks are really annoying. Generally they're quite fun and easy to get during general gameplay, giving you a nudge to do things slightly differently to how you'd normally do it.

A few are infuriating, though:

Gone Lawing: Steal 50 police carriages. Police ride in twos and you can only hijack ones where there's a single policeman. So eliminate one policeman then steal the carriage without the other one getting out to chase you. 50 times.
London Drift: Pull a drift (a handbrake turn, basically) 5 times. You have to do this five times to get one out the the seventy-five you need. I can only assume they were rightfully embarrassed to outright state that you need to drift 325 times.
Quadra-kill: Get four enemies down to a near-death state and then trigger the animation that kills them all, except it's the most finickity thing in the world to do and the game just won't do it most of the time because gently caress you. Even triple is hard enough.
Counter-shot: When you're being targeted by a gunman, press Y to either dodge or countershoot, which one one you do is based on ????? and it's usually a dodge so good luck doing two within 30 seconds of each other fifty times to get your perk.
Multi-counter kill: I've been playing this game for 40 hours and I've seen two guys attack me at the same time like, twice. I could play it for the rest of my life and not have two near-death guys attack me at the same time fifty times.

So, having little side-objectives to incentivise variety when fighting and show off things a player might not try otherwise = good. Making them dumb and grindy = bad.

Borderlands 2 had something like this. They put an unlockable skin at the end of a challenge requiring you to kill something like 250 enemies with an assault rifle, while crouched. Who the gently caress does that?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Generic annoyance: survival games with different game modes instead of toggles. What Minecraft does well is that I can change, on-the-fly, what I want to deal with. Trying to get started? Turn the difficulty down so that I don't have to eat and there's no immediate threats. When I'm a bit more stable, I bring them back.

Every other survival/builder game I've played makes you choose at the beginning of game and that's it, and its annoying.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2 had something like this. They put an unlockable skin at the end of a challenge requiring you to kill something like 250 enemies with an assault rifle, while crouched. Who the gently caress does that?

The new doom also did this. Stupid poo poo like "Perform neck snap glory kills (glory kill from behind) on possessed soldiers" or "Perform two glory kills from above on Hell Knights" which usually meant just loving up the entire pace of the gameplay because you want the upgrade points it gives you for the higher difficulties.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is a pretty good game but I have a bone to pick with some of its dialogue, specifically Jimiken's dialogue in that every sentence he says is peppered with LOL and LMAO, its probably the cringiest thing I've ever seen in a game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is a pretty good game but I have a bone to pick with some of its dialogue, specifically Jimiken's dialogue in that every sentence he says is peppered with LOL and LMAO, its probably the cringiest thing I've ever seen in a game.

It is a game involving the internet, expect bad internet slang being thrown about everywhere. :shrug:

What still gets me about Cyber Sleuth is how they took the great evolution system from Dusk/Dawn and just took a steaming dump all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel:, specifically Claptastic Voyage.

It's a fun game, not quite to the level of BL:2 (which wins by default due to the fact that it has Krieg in it), but a nice way to waste an hour or two shooting mans and setting them on fire.

But then you reach the final boss' final form. It basically plays like a raid boss, and is a difficulty spike far in excess of any end-game boss in the series. With massive amounts of health, shields that regenerate 3-4 times during the fight, the ability to spawn Badass enemies at will, and several attacks that will down you in one hit, it strays right out of 'tough but fair' and straight into bullshit territory. The screen is a candy-coloured rainbow of explosions and status effects going off from the half-dozen other enemies who are constantly firing at you plus the boss shooting a number of smaller cannons, missiles, and main guns, and the only reason I was able to beat it after about an hour of trying was that I was using a character specced out so that I could trigger a special ability that makes you invulnerable from the front and heals you, and was deployable for ~10 seconds out of every 20.

I have no idea how I'm going to beat it with one of the other characters without either massively overleveling or else working out a broken character build for the fight.