Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SynthOrange posted:

Everyone who had their phone out yeah.

There's more people in that one picture than I saw today when I went outside today, total. I really hope I get the job I'm trying to get in Vegas so I can optimize my Pokemon GO play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Any kids walk into traffic trying to catch Pokemon #234 yet? I hope the OP gets a death counter.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Tracula posted:

So what's the strangest place you've seen as a pokestop? Pretty much every church around here is one and best part is the one across the street from our farm is one day was saying Pokémon was satanic when it first came out.

Oh and of loving course near that graveyard I saw Ghastly was available.

Late, but I swooped in to claim the gym at the local Suicide Prevention Center. My Hospital is also a gym.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

FalloutGod posted:

Any kids walk into traffic trying to catch Pokemon #234 yet? I hope the OP gets a death counter.

contrary to the popular belief that it is a cool and good thing for kids to die playing an innocent game, i believe it is an uncool and bad thing that happens and that we shouldn't be so happily forthright about such things happening rather we should probably actively attempt to prevent our fellow gamers from getting hurt. minimize gaming-related fatalities!!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Smithereens posted:

contrary to the popular belief that it is a cool and good thing for kids to die playing an innocent game, i believe it is an uncool and bad thing that happens and that we shouldn't be so happily forthright about such things happening rather we should probably actively attempt to prevent our fellow gamers from getting hurt. minimize gaming-related fatalities!!

It's not cool and good but let's be real here, someone's going to get themselves killed playing Pokemon GO eventually.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smithereens posted:

The idea is amusing and morbidly funny but some of the posts are just really creepy and not cool in a very 4chan way. Don't be about that bullshit goons.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's not cool and good but let's be real here, someone's going to get themselves killed playing Pokemon GO eventually.

There have already been 2 accidents right next to my house directly related to it (I did not cause them I swear).

EDIT: I should add that nobody was seriously injured but one of the goofs drove straight through the front of a business.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Speaking of, I've finally managed to get into Pokemon GO for the first time since the servers were making GBS threads themselves all of yesterday and I can't even play the game. There's spots on the field, tapping them does nothing, so I moved to one and it tried to make me lob pokeballs at what I assume is an invisible Bulbasaur with no explanation of how this works, presumably made harder by the absence of the actual Pokemon I'm supposed to be catching. So i catch it anyway, where upon the Pokeball stays open and the game just crashes outright.

i tried to reboot the game and it seems to have outright crashed on the loading screen

Game doesn't work at all. Why is this a release

e: i got back in and apparently I got a Bulbasaur! Neat.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 8, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Speaking of, I've finally managed to get into Pokemon GO for the first time since the servers were making GBS threads themselves all of yesterday and I can't even play the game. There's spots on the field, tapping them does nothing, so I moved to one and it tried to make me lob pokeballs at what I assume is an invisible Bulbasaur with no explanation of how this works, presumably made harder by the absence of the actual Pokemon I'm supposed to be catching. So i catch it anyway, where upon the Pokeball stays open and the game just crashes outright.

Pokemon don't seem to show up for me in AR mode, but that's apparently because my phone doesn't have the necessary motion sensors. Might be this? There's an AR on/off switch on the top right corner of the catching UI.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Aithon posted:

Pokemon don't seem to show up for me in AR mode, but that's apparently because my phone doesn't have the necessary motion sensors. Might be this? There's an AR on/off switch on the top right corner of the catching UI.

I never turned the AR on to start with.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
20 hours later and PGL servers are still hosed. Great. Guess I'm starting over, and I'd just hit level 5. Goodbye Pinsir :/

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

FalloutGod posted:

nah i dont think im gonna update the op with people getting hurt/killed playing a dumb phone game, that seems like a pretty weird thing to want!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Seems my Campus is a breeding ground for Magmars. 4 nearby gyms had level 300+ Magmar's in them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doorselfin posted:

So... are people releasing Poke Balls when the circle gets big or when it gets small?

Is there any empirical evidence to suggest which is the best way?

This is seriously one of the worst-explained mechanics in the game. I never would have figured it out. The way to get a 'nice!' or a 'great!' is to have your pokeball land inside the circle. This is harder to do than you'd think, because often the edge of the pokemon's hitbox is outside the circle. You basically need to have it land a little closer to you so it hits them square in the face. I've also gotten Nice! when the pokemon jumped just as I threw, so their face was higher and easier to hit. I think the difference between 'Nice!' and 'Great!' is the size of the circle (and hence the difficulty), but I'm not sure how tested that is.

Oh, and speaking of badly explained mechanics....

Reddit posted:

Since people act real surprised when I tell them this in the comments, I suppose this isn't something that is widely known.

Whenever you tap the nearby bar and tap on a pokemon you want to find, he/she/it will occupy the lower right 'nearby bar'.

Then whenever you walk into the direction of that pokemon, the bar will blink.

Keep doing this until there are no more footsteps and the pokemon should spawn.

:vince:

That'll make finding the rare ones easier.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 8, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Rafza posted:

nah i dont think im gonna update the op with people getting hurt/killed playing a dumb phone game, that seems like a pretty weird thing to want!

well if its in the op, maybe it will remind people to be more careful!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobulus posted:

Oh, and speaking of badly explained mechanics....

:vince:

That'll make finding the rare ones easier.

Oh wow, that is huge. I'll have to try that when I get some more Pokeballs (currently all out, and still have no PokeStops in the area) now that the servers are relatively stable, see if I can actually hunt down the cool things I see in the distance.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Anybody itt know when this game might be released in the uk?? :britain: tia

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I installed that Google Survey Rewards thing yesterday and haven't gotten anything but two free surveys that reward nothing. How often do they actually pop and what's the average payout you get?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
After a 5.5km walk through town, I caught 24 pokemon (ground many of them in a fine snortable dust), hatched an egg and evolved 3 pokemon. I'll hit the Gym's later and try take them. Hurray for getting an early version in Ireland before it becomes official.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I installed that Google Survey Rewards thing yesterday and haven't gotten anything but two free surveys that reward nothing. How often do they actually pop and what's the average payout you get?

I am new to this, too. I think the two free surveys are the tutorial ones, right? I got one last night that had two questions and gave twenty-five cents.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

corn in the fridge posted:

Anybody itt know when this game might be released in the uk?? :britain: tia

You can just download and install the APK directly, at least on Android. Since it's based on the old Ingress portals, there should be a bunch of landmark set up already wherever you are.

Working great here in Norway, and it seems a bunch of other people around here have figured it out as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmm the Plus looks interesting. http://press-start.com.au/2016/07/07/pokemon-go-plus-device-will-change-way-play/

Wonder if the phone will still need to be running though.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
A tip for people who's idling on Android but have a PokeShop within 300-500 ft away: try the Battery Saving option for GPS and walk around in your location. There's a chance that it'll bounce right to that PokeShop due to some weird GPS quirk in your area. If so, congrats on finding a way to camp that PokeShop without actually leaving your location! If not, oh well. :v:

edit: here's some random imgur that shows what I mean:

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 8, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Your personal profile and demographic desirability will affect all this, but for me: once or twice a week, for usually .10 - .30 dollars. Over two years, made just shy of $50 total.

e:

SynthOrange posted:

Hmm the Plus looks interesting. http://press-start.com.au/2016/07/07/pokemon-go-plus-device-will-change-way-play/

Wonder if the phone will still need to be running though.

Yes, it needs an active bluetooth connection to your phone.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 8, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I've gotten over $60 from google surveys since I installed it

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

rngd in the womb posted:

A tip for people who's idling on Android but have a PokeShop within 300-500 ft away: try the Battery Saving option for GPS and walk around in your location. There's a chance that it'll bounce right to that PokeShop due to some weird GPS quirk in your area. If so, congrats on finding a way to camp that PokeShop without actually leaving your location! If not, oh well. :v:

I wish Battery Saver was implemented better. Once I eventually got it working, it was great, but for the most part it would still leave the screen open and I would end up activating something when I put it back into my pocket.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Broken Cog posted:

You can just download and install the APK directly, at least on Android. Since it's based on the old Ingress portals, there should be a bunch of landmark set up already wherever you are.

Working great here in Norway, and it seems a bunch of other people around here have figured it out as well.

Where can i do this? It's still not available from the app store

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pokemon%20go%20apk

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

I wish Battery Saver was implemented better. Once I eventually got it working, it was great, but for the most part it would still leave the screen open and I would end up activating something when I put it back into my pocket.

yeah ive pressed the home button after putting the phone upside down in a pocket and lost some solid walking distance

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah ive pressed the home button after putting the phone upside down in a pocket and lost some solid walking distance

That right there is my biggest fear, losing out on progress because the game can't run in the background yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I said to a coworker as we got off the train to work that the walk to the office would be wasted because the servers were down.

I was only half-kidding.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I was terrified when the servers where down and it looked like I had lost all my progress. It even stopped showing my level or caught pokémon, so that was horrifying.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

when will niantic compensate us for our lost time spent outside

e: i wonder if someone on reddit sincerely posted this yet

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

corn in the fridge posted:

Where can i do this? It's still not available from the app store

You can just use one of the APK mirror sites. I used apkmirror.com myself. If you google for how to do it, it seems most of the answers will be to use that site as well, so I assume it's pretty legit,

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Cool thanks

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
"My ankles hurt and I'm sweating and breathing more than I should." :rant:

They might get a class action lawsuit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had to buy pants and shoes and learn how to put them on and they wear out what the gently caress is this stupid in app purchases

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Had to drive to Atlanta last night so I drove through a few smaller rural towns and I now control 3 unclaimed gyms with Pokemon over 250 CP each.

Side note I evolved my Eevee into a Vaporeon, went from 175 cp to 461. Time to take over a red gym.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I have this issue where the app pretty much will only load when I'm connected to a wifi network. It just hangs if I'm using mobile data. I know for sure data is working since I can connect to the internet and such, but the app won't load otherwise. Has anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Sirbloody posted:

Side note I evolved my Eevee into a Vaporeon, went from 175 cp to 461. Time to take over a red gym.

I caught an Eevee this morning, I began to wonder how the game handled evolutions that required a stone. Would you mind explaining?

• Locked thread