Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

for those interested the evga 1070 acx 3.0 sc cards are in stock right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went ahead and flashed my 4GB RX480 to 8GB and the higher clock speed. It's the XFX card I got from jet.com for the people that got that deal.

Before:

After:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Rusty posted:

I went ahead and flashed my 4GB RX480 to 8GB and the higher clock speed. It's the XFX card I got from jet.com for the people that got that deal.

Before:

After:

Amazing

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what an amazing company amd is to let you access all that free performance!

Alternatively, what a dumb company

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
No poo poo, why not just delay the 4GB card until sources of smaller capacity memory chips were available?

I'm guessing this might have something to do with the rumors that the board partners are mad at AMD about low margins on RX 480 reference cards.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

PBCrunch posted:

No poo poo, why not just delay the 4GB card until sources of smaller capacity memory chips were available?

I'm guessing this might have something to do with the rumors that the board partners are mad at AMD about low margins on RX 480 reference cards.

AMD clearly wanted to market the card at 199.99 even if they only planned to offer a minuscule amount of hardware available at that price. At 240 it's still a good price/performance card, but not the radical game changer many hoped.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FaustianQ posted:

Although I am a professional terrible decision maker, a QX6800 hasn't been a good CPU for a solid 7 years, better to get a cheaper Harpertown Xeon if you're still interested in LGA775 as a platform as those at least trade punches with Nehalem and have respectable performance.

A Kraken G10 and some 60$ AIO or basically anything Arctic Cooling sells.

Qx6800 will bring $80 on eBay all day. Qx9000 series bring $120+

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rusty posted:

Before:

After:

And I'm still here trying to flash my 9500 into a 9700pro

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I still say that once the current stock of reference 4 GB cards is up, there won't be another production run for retail and that the 4GB's existence was merely to drive the narrative of "launching at $199," and "VR for the masses"

4 GB boxes being reflashed and restickered 8GB cards follows that, it doesn't make sense to make branding for boxes for a product that will be nonexistent in another month.

Might also explain the AIB angst, what with being told to sell perfectly good 8GB reference boards for $40 cheaper.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 8, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Don Lapre posted:

Qx6800 will bring $80 on eBay all day. Qx9000 series bring $120+

I suppose there is no shortage of people who would buy such outdated hardware, there is still apparently a market for Pentium Ds and I keep forgetting that most users are still running on fairly old hardware (only now with the move away from DDR3 will this change any amount), just that for 80$ you could easily get a hold of something that performs noticeably better and isn't horribly outdated.

Also buying a QX9000 for $120 and up seems pretty dumb when an X5470 will outperform them all at a cheaper price point, and for ~30$ more you can get an i5-6400 and a modern set of features.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The other frustrating thing about the 480 launch is that, while Nvidia did, you know, MARKETING and released information ahead of time to drum up hype... AMD was mute. Just mute. Look at the 1060: information both about performance (however skewed it might be) and, more importantly, AIB partners and their poo poo ready to go on launch day. AMD with the 480 is just an NDA and silence. gently caress. Just give us info.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

I suppose there is no shortage of people who would buy such outdated hardware, there is still apparently a market for Pentium Ds and I keep forgetting that most users are still running on fairly old hardware (only now with the move away from DDR3 will this change any amount), just that for 80$ you could easily get a hold of something that performs noticeably better and isn't horribly outdated.

Also buying a QX9000 for $120 and up seems pretty dumb when an X5470 will outperform them all at a cheaper price point, and for ~30$ more you can get an i5-6400 and a modern set of features.

If you think that's nuts, the qx9770 regularly brings $250. Enough for a used i7

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I had a friend successfully sell GTX 970s for $250.... today. Apparently there's always dumb buyers. I have no idea why.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Gonkish posted:

The other frustrating thing about the 480 launch is that, while Nvidia did, you know, MARKETING and released information ahead of time to drum up hype... AMD was mute. Just mute. Look at the 1060: information both about performance (however skewed it might be) and, more importantly, AIB partners and their poo poo ready to go on launch day. AMD with the 480 is just an NDA and silence. gently caress. Just give us info.
I think everything about RX 480 was in flux until the last minute. Clock speeds, core voltage, etc. wasn't really where they wanted it to be, so they were hoping for a last minute miracle.

That, and the driver situation was probably a complete loving mess until just before launch day. Even on launch day, the card basically didn't work with GTA V.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I had a friend successfully sell GTX 970s for $250.... today. Apparently there's always dumb buyers. I have no idea why.
How/where?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

NDA until launch day reeked of lovely game releases

Josh Lyman posted:

How/where?

Most people don't follow gpu news

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

If you think that's nuts, the qx9770 regularly brings $250. Enough for a used i7

I should get into the habit of plundering old Q2D systems them, holy poo poo.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wonder if they're all 8gb cards lol.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I wonder if they're all 8gb cards lol.

Would imagine the component price difference is negligible so they're probably all 8GB cards.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Josh Lyman posted:

How/where?

Craigslist, get hustling.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Prescription Combs posted:

Would imagine the component price difference is negligible so they're probably all 8GB cards.

drat, so odds are pretty good of winning the 4GB 480 lottery?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Gonkish posted:

Hey now, Roy tweeted some stuff about DX12

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Also absent the 4GB/8GB switcheroo, is the $239 RX480 even worth it if nvidia's eventually raining the parade with a $250 card? RX480 $199 seems like the actual deal then, assuming the OEMs feel like continuing to make that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

MrBond posted:

Also absent the 4GB/8GB switcheroo, is the $239 RX480 even worth it if nvidia's eventually raining the parade with a $250 card? RX480 $199 seems like the actual deal then, assuming the OEMs feel like continuing to make that.

Probably not BUT, thats assuming there will be no AIB's that clock well for the 480 (although t hat presents another pricing issue), and thats assuming there will be 1060's at $250

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

470's likely to be the real price/performance sweet spot of the generation (just put me out of my misery now).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

PCGH got good results from the Arctic Mono Plus ($35). Dropped their card from 84c @ 2250rpm to 67c @ 900rpm.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, but doesn't that Mono Plus turn it into like a 3-slot sized card?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

repiv posted:

PCGH got good results from the Arctic Mono Plus ($35). Dropped their card from 84c @ 2250rpm to 67c @ 900rpm.

That's pretty neat, we knew amd blowers sucks, and AIB designs would fix everything.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Why did sites drop Crysis: Warhead out of their review cycles? It's one of my favorite shooters of all time still, and it looks like as of the 9xx series we still weren't past 60fps average at 2560x1440 in Crysis 1: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/9

I bet that with a 1070/ 1080 you can finally play Crysis with near-max settings at 2560x1440.

Isn't that a game from 2009 or something, just how badly was it optimized. Or maybe it scales really well?

Especially at the time, it doesn't matter how much stuff you cram into your game to make it theoretically impressive if no one can realistically run it at those settings.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I didn't see it in here, but AnandTech checked out the new driver fix and the driver looks fine. Minimal performance hit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PBCrunch posted:

Why do that when you can sell a "4GB card" for the price of your 8GB card and find your profit by selling an unlocked 8GB card for even more than that?

This feels like a real early to mid 90s Apple move, like back when they used to have the same components in models at different price points so they crippled the bus speeds to make a performance jump worth paying for.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Don Lapre posted:

For some unfathomable reason, people are suckers grossly overpaying for top tier old hardware, because new platforms clearly dont exist and changing a motherboard is just so goddamn hard.

The best was used Athlon 64 X2 939s that costed more than than a new C2D + mobo + 2GB DDR3 back in 2007.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

For some unfathomable reason, people are suckers grossly overpaying for top tier old hardware, because new platforms clearly dont exist and changing a motherboard is just so goddamn hard.

The best was used Athlon 64 X2 939s that costed more than than a new C2D + mobo + 2GB DDR3 back in 2007.

I was hoping to upgrade my laptop with a used midrange Sandy Bridge quad, but those still cost as much as $200 :stare:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10477/amd-posts-radeon-1671-drivers-fixes-power-consumption-issues

The 480 was drawing up to 300W? The highest I ever clocked my 980Ti was for 360w from the wall for the entire system.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

NewFatMike posted:

I didn't see it in here, but AnandTech checked out the new driver fix and the driver looks fine. Minimal performance hit.

Makes me wonder why they even bothered setting the stock volts so high. The performance difference is virtually nil while power went down around 10-20W.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The 480 was drawing up to 300W?
Its total system power draw not just GPU power draw. Gotta read those chart labels!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10477/amd-posts-radeon-1671-drivers-fixes-power-consumption-issues

The 480 was drawing up to 300W? The highest I ever clocked my 980Ti was for 360w from the wall for the entire system.

Peaks aren't the same as average draw... 750Ti draw peaks at 140W, but has zero issues without having extra power, because average is under 60W or so.

e: oh it was full system, meh

... Also, my 980Ti will draw 420W according to afterburner when properly overclocked, and that's just the GPU chip, so huh :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well I flashed my GPU's BIOS so that I can set it at 0% fan speed and this changes everything I know about noise level, cooling, etc. when shopping for graphics cards.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mobby_6kl posted:

I was hoping to upgrade my laptop with a used midrange Sandy Bridge quad, but those still cost as much as $200 :stare:

You think that is bad? Try $260+ a used 3770K and $100+ for used Z77 boards. If you had those, people are literally begging you to upgrade to a 6700K platform with actual warranty for a pittance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Palladium posted:

You think that is bad? Try $260+ a used 3770K and $100+ for used Z77 boards. If you had those, people are literally begging you to upgrade to a 6700K platform with actual warranty for a pittance.
You mean I can get $350 for my 3570K + mobo? :aaa:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Actually speaking of platform/processor upgrades, I'm currently trying to get a Q9450/HD 6950 to run Overwatch and getting awful frames on medium settings (25-45fps). Which is part is being the worst bottleneck, as chucking the entire system isn't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Palladium posted:

gently caress me I have these sitting on my desk gathering dust. 260 for a 3770k is barely any depreciation at all!