Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Agents are GO! posted:

If it was mine, it was 2 ticks of Pixar, 1 tick of Nice Overal Enhancement, and then 1 tick of low bloom on the next tab. I think.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for! I knew it was something simple like that but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was or who posted it originally, and I wasn't liking any of the presets I was finding elsewhere. Thanks a lot! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So I just discovered that this exists: http://tesgoons.wikidot.com/

Uh, who runs it? Is it still active?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

GunnerJ posted:

So I just discovered that this exists: http://tesgoons.wikidot.com/

Uh, who runs it? Is it still active?

User info for GaistHeidegger says that they are the "Site Master Administrator" so this person?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't touched Skyrim since ages ago and I wanted to give it another shot now.

I am wondering, is there a way to install a bunch of essential mods faster than one click per mod?
I dunno, maybe there's a way to install the STEP list of mods all in one go? Is there a mod manager that can do that?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

No.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's a shame.
I figured that with the amount of mods available for Skyrim someone would've figured out a way to install a list of mods all in one go by now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

a big fat bunny posted:

User info for GaistHeidegger says that they are the "Site Master Administrator" so this person?

Oh, that reminds me that someone mentioned that a while back and that the sysadmin ghosted. :iiam:

Anyway, I have started to continue Agent's work on the new OP. So far I have made a few additions and listed things that are TBD. Some of my own mod recs are just the names for now. Most substantial additions are in {SOFTWARE}, the section on modding tools/utilities. (Edit: Remembered to add the SMC, thought it's not listed in the paste yet.) Check it out: http://pastebin.com/evaQGfMq

I do need help with a few things:

1. There are some categories of mod I have no or little experience with. Just search for the words "pls help" for these. Unless there are objections, I'm going to cobble these sections together from the current OP. Since the whole point is revising the current OP, hopefully there will be some objections!

2. I'd also really appreciate general feedback on the mod recommendations, especially and specifically what I have added. Here's the diff so you can tell what I have changed: https://www.diffchecker.com/u13nn3zm (Note: I have not actually removed very much, the diff tool lists moved sections as deleted in the original sometimes?? But they are still there in the new text!)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 8, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

That's a shame.
I figured that with the amount of mods available for Skyrim someone would've figured out a way to install a list of mods all in one go by now.

A number of the bigger more popular mods have consolidated since you maybe last looked at it. For instance, the Skyrim HD 2K texture pack used to be broken out into 7 or 8 different packs and now has just one big easy combined installer. Climates of Tamriel used to have Supreme Storms and a bunch of other optional addons that all got lumped into CoT v5.

But... If the mere concept of checking a few extra checkboxes in Mod Organizer is beyond your personal :effort: level, then yeah... modding may not be your thing? :shrug:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That's a shame.

anything more than 20 mods (~15 minutes of actual work) is more about fine tuning mods and modding as a hobby than actually playing skyrim :colbert:

e: You don't need 100 mods, just get like mesh improvements, 4-5 texture mods, flora overhaul, a weather mod, frostfall, and a perk mod.

Congrats you did it

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

anything more than 20 mods (~15 minutes of actual work) is more about fine tuning mods and modding as a hobby than actually playing skyrim :colbert:

I am 15 hours into my 118-mods-total-GoT-inspired-playthrough right now thank you very much! :colbert:

Took 80 hours of modding to prep the playthrough. :negative:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mortimer posted:

e: You don't need 100 mods

wrong

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yeah you need like 200 minimum

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

200+ merged plugins.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

THAT GUY doesn't need 100 mods, I wasn't talking to the ascended TES5 modmaster dreamers. We need bare minimum 230 with another 100 merged together to even process a single endorphin

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mortimer posted:

THAT GUY doesn't need 100 mods

wrong

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if you don't have 25 mod organizer profiles and 900 installed mods you cant even call yourself a Skyrim player

e: looked at your pls help sections. For player homes, you might as well link to Elianora's nexus profile. I have a couple worldspace/quest mods installed that I've never bothered to play, if I ever do I'll let you know about them. There's a recent worldspace mod that came out with a really long title - The Haven from the Cold and Dark - which has so much stuff in it my computer dies every time I look at it. but drat it looks pretty.

for visuals, my advice is unless you're an insane weirdo at running everything at 8k resolution, get any texture mod's performance edition if they offer it. Your waifus need to be in glorious 32K resolution, but who gives a gently caress about a 4k rock texture you'll never see because Bethesda made all instances of that rock accidentally use the sidewalk texture from Whiterun. (Fixed in the 2.7.2.3.5.2 version of USLEEP.)

I joke, but it's relevant: the issue isn't your GPU, it's Skyrim's internal limits to RAM use. Windows 10's dx9 limitations on VRAM also might not help you out. Be reasonable about where you drop in a shitload of uncompressed textures.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 8, 2016

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I updated my GPU, got some good internet, and now I'm ready to do what I have yet to do: visually mod the poo poo out of Skyrim. How does Texture Pack Combiner stuff interact with other visual mods, like aMidianBorn Book of Silence, or is there even a point in installing both?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gunner, I'm still hoping to contribute to the new OP, I just can't be in charge of it. I'll take a look at your upgrades after I sleep a bit.

One thing to mention, you'll probably need to break that first post into two posts, because it was already getting uncomfortably close to the limit and I wanted to have room to grow.

Edit: gunner, add me on Steam if you'd like, I have the same username as here an a picture of Victor from New Vegas as my avatar.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey I dunno if this was discussed a bunch when it was first announced but has bethesda indicated whether the skyrim remaster will be largely compatible with existing mods or are they gonna gently caress a bunch of poo poo up as theyre wont to do?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

broken pixel posted:

I updated my GPU, got some good internet, and now I'm ready to do what I have yet to do: visually mod the poo poo out of Skyrim. How does Texture Pack Combiner stuff interact with other visual mods, like aMidianBorn Book of Silence, or is there even a point in installing both?

TPC hasn't been supported in ages, you'll want to use the Skyrim Mod Combiner instead.

I'm fairly sure SMC works perfectly well with Book of Silence, as not including support for such a popular and well made texture pack would be pretty mind-boggling.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 8, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

hey I dunno if this was discussed a bunch when it was first announced but has bethesda indicated whether the skyrim remaster will be largely compatible with existing mods or are they gonna gently caress a bunch of poo poo up as theyre wont to do?

The general consensus is that, with one huge exception, mods should work okay. That huge exception being any mod that requires the Skyrim Script Extender, which will probably need an extensive update to work with the Remaster.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

word. well that would be pretty key. what do y'all think about like the visuals do you think its gonna look better than the SMC+ENB?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

TPC hasn't been supported in ages, you'll want to use the Skyrim Mod Combiner instead.

I'm fairly sure SMC works perfectly well with Book of Silence, as not including support for such a popular and well made texture pack would be pretty mind-boggling.

Neat, thanks for the info!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Re: OP in progress:

quote:

A Bashed Patch was, in prior TES games, a very capable tool for resolving these, but never developed that well for Skyrim. It's mostly good for merging changes to leveled lists, but a merged patch also does this. Requires using WyreBash (more later about this).
It's Wrye Bash, not WyreBash. Consonents together, vowels together, space between Wrye and Bash. I'd also say "in Oblivion and Fallout 3" instead of "in prior TES games" because for Morrowind, they were called "Mashed patches" made by Wrye Mash; and of course for vintage pre-NetImmerse-aka-Gamebryo-aka-Creation TES games (Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard) there was no Wrye utility at all.
There's also another case of a clumped WryeBash down in the {MODMANAGERCHART} section.

About SPERG:

quote:

Places a lot more importance on you skill scores
*your

That's all I've noticed. Can't provide much help for mod suggestions and additions.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

word. well that would be pretty key. what do y'all think about like the visuals do you think its gonna look better than the SMC+ENB?

It almost certainly won't look as good as you can possibly make the game look through mods+ENB already, but for most people it will probably be plenty good enough visually that you can cut out a ton of work getting your game modded before you play.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dope

do you guys think they'll fix lip syncing

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

for visuals, my advice is unless you're an insane weirdo at running everything at 8k resolution, get any texture mod's performance edition if they offer it. Your waifus need to be in glorious 32K resolution, but who gives a gently caress about a 4k rock texture you'll never see because Bethesda made all instances of that rock accidentally use the sidewalk texture from Whiterun. (Fixed in the 2.7.2.3.5.2 version of USLEEP.)

I joke, but it's relevant: the issue isn't your GPU, it's Skyrim's internal limits to RAM use. Windows 10's dx9 limitations on VRAM also might not help you out. Be reasonable about where you drop in a shitload of uncompressed textures.

Oh wow. I had no idea. So even though I've got an 8GB VRAM video card, you think if I went all 2K/4K texture packs MAX OPTION on everything that this could be the result of my framerate issues?

I also had to turn off that ExpandedX64 memory option in my enblocal.ini to fix crashing per that mod Crash Fixer's suggestion. Does this mean Skyrim is only using 3.2GB of my card's 8GB VRAM?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I highly recommend this patch for literally everyone in this thread. It's totally fixed a bunch of CTD issues and freezes for me when running with a bunch of mods and texture packs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Super No Vacancy posted:

As long as giants still send people into space I'm ok with whatever they do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Siets posted:

Oh wow. I had no idea. So even though I've got an 8GB VRAM video card, you think if I went all 2K/4K texture packs MAX OPTION on everything that this could be the result of my framerate issues?

I also had to turn off that ExpandedX64 memory option in my enblocal.ini to fix crashing per that mod Crash Fixer's suggestion. Does this mean Skyrim is only using 3.2GB of my card's 8GB VRAM?

I hesitate to say it's the only reason but if you're on Windows 10, Skyrim won't use more than 4GB VRAM; it's not because Skyrim is Skyrim, it's because no DX9 app gets to use more than 4. It may only be nVidia cards also? I'm dragging out the Win10 upgrade as long as possible, so I don't actually know personally.

that discounts the normal bad Skyrim performance that's just inherent in Skyrim. I have no idea about the ExpandedX64 memory option though, so :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 8, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

dope

If they don't someone would just need to port over the mod that fixes it for the current version of Skyrim except oh wait it's a SKSE plugin.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

I hesitate to say it's the only reason but if you're on Windows 10, Skyrim won't use more than 4GB VRAM; it's not because Skyrim is Skyrim, it's because no DX9 app gets to use more than 4. It may only be nVidia cards also? I'm dragging out the Win10 upgrade as long as possible, so I don't actually know personally.

that discounts the normal bad Skyrim performance that's just inherent in Skyrim. I have no idea about the ExpandedX64 memory option though, so :shrug:

I am on Windows 10. I did install the June 2010 D3D9 release just to see if that would help, but seems to have made little difference unfortunately.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Gunner, I'm still hoping to contribute to the new OP, I just can't be in charge of it. I'll take a look at your upgrades after I sleep a bit.

One thing to mention, you'll probably need to break that first post into two posts, because it was already getting uncomfortably close to the limit and I wanted to have room to grow.

Edit: gunner, add me on Steam if you'd like, I have the same username as here an a picture of Victor from New Vegas as my avatar.

That's cool, I'm glad you're still on board for contributions! Some of the unfinished categories are for things that I just don't have experience with.

Re: Word count, at this point I'm just planning on writing whatever info I want to include and worry about breaking it up when it's all done.

Added on Steam. :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Agents are GO! posted:

The general consensus is that, with one huge exception, mods should work okay. That huge exception being any mod that requires the Skyrim Script Extender, which will probably need an extensive update to work with the Remaster.

So basically every good mod. Good to know :banjo:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thank you both!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Super No Vacancy posted:

dope

I think Bethesda should just give meh321 a job. He fixed the lip sync bug in a loving SKSE DLL after years of Bethesda ignoring the issue produced by an official patch.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I think Bethesda should just give meh321 a job. He fixed the lip sync bug in a loving SKSE DLL after years of Bethesda ignoring the issue produced by an official patch.

bethesda doesn't have to fix their games, people buy them anyway

plus meh321 doesn't sign his name or write Todd a loveletter, like a certain Firstname J. Lastname.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

bethesda doesn't have to fix their games, people buy them anyway

In my case, and I know it's technically a bad thing... I basically buy their games because they're so broken. Breaking, glitching and sequencebreaking games is a hobby of mine and that's a big part of my enjoyment of these games :ohdear: I haven't even completed the main quest in most of their games, yet I've spent hundreds of hours in all of them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

You're really not missing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
What is a good mod to add in encounters and such? I have been trying Sands of Time but have been getting some pretty frequent crashes which I think it's causing. Anyone use anything else to add in random encounters?

• Locked thread