Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I keep hearing about this boat. Is it really that great a boat?
Yeah, it's a real showstopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The boat's so good that Hunter X Hunter is copying it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just be glad Miura isn't in to Kancolle

Yet

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

So, I'm actually a lot more hopeful after this first episode than I was when we had only the movies to extrapolate from, even with the expanded use of CG. Suprising that they seem to be skipping Lost Children, but I expect they will fit it in there, only in a different order.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Vedius Pollio posted:

Nothing will be wong! There's no shame, there's no shape, it's up to you.
Please learn the correct lyrics

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The OP and ED for Kenpu Denki Berserk are unironically great. Especially the ED just has this eerie quality to it that screams Berserk to me. Also I have been waitin so rong for Guts to get off the boat, so I find it very relatable in my daily life.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys just watch so much anime that you are numb to garbage like this?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Do you guys just watch so much anime that you are numb to garbage like this?

Have you read the thread?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So how long in real life years has Guts been on the boat?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I'm watching the Berserk anime since why the hell not, and the most bizzare loving thing is that the music is so loving on point even without Forces, but who the hell decided that having the opening and ending needed to be super slurry Engrish?

Did you find your face in your grass? Because it sounds like someone isn't wearing their grass and fading properly. :smug:

But seriously...

skasion posted:

The OP and ED for Kenpu Denki Berserk are unironically great. Especially the ED just has this eerie quality to it that screams Berserk to me.

I feel the same way. Waiting So Long in particular has this certain atmosphere to it after each episode that I find really endearing and, engrish word salad lyrics notwithstanding, the song itself sounds really good.

The new ending though, holyyyy poo poo, I don't know what the idea behind that is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mabels big day posted:

So how long in real life years has Guts been on the boat?

July 2007. Coincidentally, that's when this thread started.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

gently caress it, I'm bored and I've got time to kill

BERSERK VIDEOGAME CONCEPTS

- DISMEMBERMENT. MGR-style for dudes like Serpico, who basically teleport razor blades into dudes. No slowdown for Guts - you swing, everything on screen is basically cleaved in half
- Treat heavy weapons like fuckin heavy weapons. The Dragonslayer has to shake the earth. The impact alone creates shockwaves. Every part of it is a tool: hit things with the flat side to splat them, use it as a shield, basically just hold it outwards and let momentum take over when something makes you spin. GET PHYSICS ON THAT SWORD.
- gently caress that stamina thing, swing sword until you run out of enemies or blood (the latter stops applying once you get Berserk armor upgrade)
- For huge enemies like Apostles, you nonetheless need few hits - if you hit, you do MASSIVE damage that changes the enemy's behaviour, like outright taking a limb, disabling a mode of attacking, entering a whole new phase and whatnot. For huge dudes like that, the trick is getting that one hit in. These enemies actively avoid being hit and you need to get around that: use gadgets, counter when boss comes close, take intentional hits to the face and BITE DOWN ON THAT BLADE IT ALWAYS WORKS. The main thing is: establish that one hit from the Dragonslayer fucks you up. None of that "hit HP blob a million times without visible damage". Think Bloodborne limb breaking mechanics, only more permanent and even gorier. To counter the frustration of whiffing all the time when you can't figure out any tricks, give enemies a kind of shield (composure?), which also drains on indirect hits via shockwave or generally being badass in their direction, and they freak the gently caress out once that shield is gone. Basically a two-pronged approach: break their limbs, or break their spirit.
- Tactical corpse creation. Somebody wrote about literally creating mountains of corpses to use as cover. THAT'S THE SPIRIT. Corpses should be a critical element of fights - ghosts possess them, enemies launch them at you, you can hide among them, THEY ARE IN YOUR WAY BECAUSE YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE TO BE BADASS IN. Never despawn them, and give them physics. (Maybe not as humorously rag-dolly as certain other series, which has its charm as well.) Of course, this might mean that the game doesn't really have levels, but rather action setpieces... But seriously, Berserk doesn't have or need dungeoncrawling.
- BERSERK MODE. Think Revengeance, only instant dismemberment is on all the time anyway, so you're "just" even faster. Instantly somersault to enemies as a giant buzzsaw of death with Berserker armor. Constantly lose HP as a trade-off.
- Maximum despair as a game feature. Friendly fire very much exists. The game will never give you a Game Over if you accidentally paste allies (in fact, their corpses might get special treatment as possessed enemies for extra-fun). Enemies are in awe once you start killing them, and they actively go after other, defenseless targets, or start freaking out in various ways.
- Also, spread comic relief as Puck to counter encroaching grimdark. Literally. Ghosts approach Guts in full-on sad mode and you fly around being annoyingly hilarious at them. You want Berserk, you'll get Puck and you'll like it.
- Press X to contemplate childhood
- Massage minigame where your inputs suddenly make Guts ready his arm cannon
- Wii U bonus feature: use the second screen to steer Berserker Guts tunneling through his enemies in ego perspective!
- Boat sequence, which is basically like Desert Bus
- Panzer Dragoon for hitting Apostle Ganeshka in the face
- ...aaaand for good measure, timed battles where you basically have to last until sunrise, with progressively more enemies, whose corpses create more enemies in turn. Bonus points for allies tagging along also turning into enemies during such events.

I'm not sorry for writing any of this

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I finished catching up on the manga yesterday and I just wanna say that the best way to make a Berserk is to make it almost entirely qte based, like Ashura's Wrath.

I love me some Musuo though, so I'm extremely excited to play Berserk Musuo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Torquemadras posted:

- gently caress that stamina thing, swing sword until you run out of enemies or blood (the latter stops applying once you get Berserk armor upgrade)

Isn't this backwards? Using Berserk armor should make you bleed out faster, not slower. Although it wouldn't slow him down until he ran out of blood and just collapsed.

Torquemadras posted:

- Also, spread comic relief as Puck to counter encroaching grimdark. Literally. Ghosts approach Guts in full-on sad mode and you fly around being annoyingly hilarious at them. You want Berserk, you'll get Puck and you'll like it.
- Press X to contemplate childhood
- Massage minigame where your inputs suddenly make Guts ready his arm cannon
- Boat sequence, which is basically like Desert Bus

:allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

- Playing as an NPC where all of the face buttons make you say "Hayai!"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zoolooman posted:

That was awesome. [spoiler]I'm so glad we're finally on the boat. Guts and crew are more pleasant and interesting than mean ol' Griffith. >:|[spoiler]

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/07/berserks-musou-game-gets-new-info-screenshots-guts-griffith-castca-judeau/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just realized that episode 2 will be out pretty soon. We're going to need alot of prune juice this season in order to continue making GBS threads on this anime.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

will the elf king cure casca of her whiteness

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Isn't this backwards? Using Berserk armor should make you bleed out faster, not slower. Although it wouldn't slow him down until he ran out of blood and just collapsed.

gently caress, you're right. I'm the worst Berserk fan.

Speaking of worst

ADDITIONAL BERSERK GAME MECHANIC IDEA
- ISIDRO MODE: when playing as Isidro, you can perform a Dark Souls-style roll. You look like a moron doing it.
There's no other way of moving as Isidro

Actually I like Isidro, he's the perfect dumbass foil for everyone, especially Schierke

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

So much blood.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey Chief posted:

So, I'm actually a lot more hopeful after this first episode than I was when we had only the movies to extrapolate from, even with the expanded use of CG. Suprising that they seem to be skipping Lost Children, but I expect they will fit it in there, only in a different order.

Probably not, an entire arc involving a naked underage character who then turns into a giant vagina moth fighter plane probably won't get broadcast. Maybe it could've been made into an OVA back in the 90s.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

say what you will of Tell Me Why it's a million times better than whatever that new OP is

I mean if you're going to make the entire rest of the show look like such absolute trash, at least splurge a little on the OP, christ

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For a game it's not the worst thing in the world, but Zodd looks that bad? Phale.

I wonder if Guts would ignore someone who asks for their eyes to be forcibly removed. I think he would leave them to their pain.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They announced an Idol master VR game. RIP Berserk.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what instrument is used in the beginning of waiting so long? a guitar and?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Relin posted:

what instrument is used in the beginning of waiting so long? a guitar and?

sounds like synthesized viola or cello or something to me

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Ccs posted:

Probably not, an entire arc involving a naked underage character who then turns into a giant vagina moth fighter plane probably won't get broadcast. Maybe it could've been made into an OVA back in the 90s.
I've seen what gets broadcast nowadays, you can't fool me!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Daler Mehndi posted:

There's like one channel that gets away with super sexy time stuff because it's basically ppv, heavy gore stuff is either out completely or heavily black bar censored.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Daler Mehndi posted:

Japanese TV is much more prudish than American TV

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Berserk Musou posted:

Well, I sure am glad they fixed the glaring lack of boob plate from proper Berserk.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Was a non-garbage translation of Berserk 344 ever posted? I read the raw and nothing really happens other than we find out that Puck is (in)famous on the island and that the Elf King has a magic thingie where he can go inside your brain, and that might help with Casca getting her wits back. The mages of the island don't seem to be too worried about the poo poo Griffith did either so maybe he won't come and try to burn them all down?

I wonder if we're going to get a "Inside Casca's brain" arc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it was.
http://www.evil-genius.us/

Though the rough translation still got the most of the jist over.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if we're going to get a "Inside Casca's brain" arc

I really, really hope we do. The only way Casca has reacted to any of the horrible poo poo going on has been rather primal, with little bits of her rising to the surface every now and then. I'm curious what she'd have to say if she were capable of using words again. Whatever it turns out to be, better strap in, 'cause there'll be a loooooot to process.
I hope Casca gets a hug
And Guts too

I'm also really curious what her relation to Farnese would be like. There's no way she'd view her as a complete stranger. Also, Farnese has only known Casca as an utterly helpless child, so that's going to be interesting as well...

Seriously - if the manga starts tackling Casca's issues head-on, the upcoming chapters might be the most crucial in a long while, holy poo poo I want this to be good so bad

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Torquemadras posted:

Also, Farnese has only known Casca as an utterly helpless child, so that's going to be interesting as well...

This is the one thing I've been most eager too see. Guts is the only one who knows what she's really like. The gang's reactions to the real Casca has so much potential I worry it can't live up to expectations.

Please Miura let it be good.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

gently caress, you're right. I'm the worst Berserk fan.

Speaking of worst

ADDITIONAL BERSERK GAME MECHANIC IDEA
- ISIDRO MODE: when playing as Isidro, you can perform a Dark Souls-style roll. You look like a moron doing it.
There's no other way of moving as Isidro

Actually I like Isidro, he's the perfect dumbass foil for everyone, especially Schierke

I liked the way the dream cast berserk game handled the cannon arm. It's strong as gently caress but the ammo is extremely limited.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode's been better. Some 2D, largely in flashbacks to the Golden Age.
Casca is 100% white though. The pacing is better considerably, the music's pretty good and the voice acting is good. Sakurai's a brilliant Griffith.

The CGI's still really rough, but I like the shots with Guts cutting people straight in half. Some of it's hilarious.

It's definitely not as despair inducing as episode 1.

e: The hirasawa track that fires up nearer the end. :vince:

Wow next week is filler stuff even though they skipped lost children and black swordsman jesus.

I'd give it a 6/10 this week though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 8, 2016

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This episode's definitely better than the last, yeah. Gives me a tiny bit of hope.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Why is everybody crying? Its Friday.