Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know the protocol, but the robot wasn't equipped with the bomb, it was equipped to disarm a bomb the shooter had planted nearby and, as negotiations with the suspect broke down, the cops decided to detonate the bomb themselves rather than let the shooter detonate it himself when they closed in. Shooter got caught in the blast. Cops probably weren't too cut up about it, they'd been "negotiating"/getting shot at for the guy by hours.

Plenty to criticize, to be sure, but DPD seems to be handling the disaster a lot better than they could have done.

No, the police specifically said they equipped the robot with a bomb and detonated that. There's still no confirmation the suspect actually had explosives or that any explosives were nearby. In fact the police said they had completed a sweep and no IEDs were found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd wait until at least a couple hours after a name comes out to be for sure that the pictures being circulated are of the right guy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

zoux posted:

If you guys were concerned that no politicians have yet stepped forward to make this all about their pet issues, Gohmert's gotcha covered

https://twitter.com/bobbycblanchard/status/751433225751322624

I wish the police would send a robot after Louie Gohmert.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ReidRansom posted:

In any case, here's your guy.

Now let's see what photos end up being used by the media.

This is what CBS News' Tweet used

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/751432908804685824/photo/1

So ya

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So this guy put this whole thing together in less than a day?

Oh my god.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

So this guy put this whole thing together in less than a day?

Oh my god.

Supposedly there are more suspects. So who knows.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Welp, Drudge Report is running with that stupid-rear end 7-11 footage from last night.

Of course.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Time to get tough on our troops.

ReidRansom posted:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

No, the police specifically said they equipped the robot with a bomb and detonated that. There's still no confirmation the suspect actually had explosives or that any explosives were nearby. In fact the police said they had completed a sweep and no IEDs were found.

This is true but, they also said the shooter told them they would be finding ied's. They thought the guy had bombs and they didn't know where they were at.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

hahaha no way

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well at least more or less half of the GOP is going to DQ themselves for future office through extreme racist tweeting.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Murder all news editors. I can just hear the conversation now: hmmmmmm....can we find a picture of him wearing anything more....ethnic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Well at least more or less half of the GOP is going to DQ themselves for future office through extreme racist tweeting.

You mean get nominated for President, right?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

botany posted:

have you tried looking at the loving news

I had to go to work as early as possible, so no

Checks out

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I told you Micah X that's what they are going with

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Supposedly there are more suspects. So who knows.

I wouldn't rule out him acting alone, but other people independently joining in once poo poo started going down. There was at least some footage of another person who appeared to be firing a handgun and who was at ground level, I thought.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's possible the other suspects are simply bystanders that had weapons or something, but I think people confirmed from gunshots etc that it was in fact more than one person.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

I told you Micah X that's what they are going with

Yea, using the X there is really ridiculous.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

That's what I thought as soon as I saw the way he was shooting and moving.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ahahaha of course

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

It's possible the other suspects are simply bystanders that had weapons or something, but I think people confirmed from gunshots etc that it was in fact more than one person.

I would hope they were shooting back. I've been assured the lack of firearms in the hands of friendlies was the reason why Orlando happened.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I wouldn't rule out him acting alone, but other people independently joining in once poo poo started going down. There was at least some footage of another person who appeared to be firing a handgun and who was at ground level, I thought.

And hell, this could be a case of some "good guys with guns" thinking they're helping out by trying to shoot at who they think is the shooter.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sean10mm posted:

CNN's slide from "global go-to source for quick and accurate reporting" in the 1990s to "aimless human garbage collection producing white noise thinly disguised as news" now has been incredible and depressing.

It was never the first thing. There's a reason 90s politics sucked

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 8, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

Could it be that the guy who allegedly murdered 5 innocent police officers was indeed No Angel?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SedanChair posted:

That's what I thought as soon as I saw the way he was shooting and moving.

The US Military seems t churn out the very best high profile shooters in Dallas history.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

icantfindaname posted:

It was never the first thing, hth. There's a reason 90s politics sucked

Checks out. :haw:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Even that could just be shots echoing.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I guess this is what happens when good guys with guns try to stop good guys with guns.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

The US Military seems t churn out the very best high profile shooters in Dallas history.

https://twitter.com/duncanidunno/status/751259613429981184

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even that could just be shots echoing.

That too, in a downtown area.

And these things always start out with reports of multiple shooters. We'll see, I guess.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/obama-war-on-cops-police-advocacy-group-225291

quote:

"It's a war on cops," Johnson also said. "And the Obama administration is the Neville Chamberlain of this war."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BUG JUG posted:

Murder all news editors. I can just hear the conversation now: hmmmmmm....can we find a picture of him wearing anything more....ethnic?

loving seriously. :cripes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/751284978340622336

Well, that's gonna muddy the narrative

e: different Johnson.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Austin too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/751284978340622336

Well, that's gonna muddy the narrative

e: different Johnson.

He's right. Cops never used to die in the line of duty.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravel Gravy posted:

Kevyn posted:

Austin too.

We have a reputation to uphold as a state.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My Facebook feed has been pretty tame. People talking of getting concealed carry. People sharing condolences. Only a few have tried to push a political agenda (mostly anti-Obama) and I have not seen any anti-BLM comments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My Facebook feed has been pretty tame. People talking of getting concealed carry. People sharing condolences. Only a few have tried to push a political agenda (mostly anti-Obama) and I have not seen any anti-BLM comments.

here you go
https://twitter.com/LucidHurricane_/status/751438098110697472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus christ they really wanna try and make him as "ethnic" as possible. He was a loving member of the military with photo evidence and they pick the photo that makes him look as Muslim as possible. loving hell. The media is gross.

• Locked thread