Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

She will chase a thrown stick down to the depths of hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Sodacan posted:

trying to weigh down the curtains or something similarly dumb, as I was considering.

That's what i've been doing because we have windows too large for the stick on stuff and it's a pain in the rear end. a ton of stupid loving swallows decided to nest in our eaves and spend all goddamn day swooping around our huge sliding glass doors and it's driving vecna insane.

next year i am knocking down those nests the second i see them. gently caress these swallows

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So my 7 year old Yorkie is SO energetic, I'm not sure what more I can do or if I should think of rehoming him for his benefit. He gets 2 1 mile walks a day, 2 20-30 minute flirt pole sessions a day, and 15 minutes of obedience training a day. He still constantly asks to play fetch and tug-of-war (which is fine, we can do those pretty absentmindedly), but his level of energy means a lot of excited barking or demanding barking for play. Note: he never gets rewarded with play if he barks.

It's just not realistic for us to spend any more time focused one-on-one with him. Are we neglecting him? Or is this OK, and we should just learn to live with the barking?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Want to trade him for fuckface the husky?

Real talk, the new cage is a massive improvement. I've ordered a compass one for the beagle. The trainer figures the lack of open sides would possibly make for a better den effect as she couldn't pull in and shred the sheets. Speaking of the beagle, did I ever mention that she's unusually bright and picks up on new tricks whether or not I want her to? Take a looksie at what she learned from fuckface:

This is what I get for taking a 5e night.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
why do people even have dogs

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tsyni posted:

why do people even have dogs

my dog rules. doesn't make a mess. doesn't chew on poo poo. he will even stay with me on a walk without a leash. oh and he can balance stuff on his face and close my fridge for me too.

never crated him once.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Your dog is a cat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rurutia posted:

So my 7 year old Yorkie is SO energetic, I'm not sure what more I can do or if I should think of rehoming him for his benefit. He gets 2 1 mile walks a day, 2 20-30 minute flirt pole sessions a day, and 15 minutes of obedience training a day. He still constantly asks to play fetch and tug-of-war (which is fine, we can do those pretty absentmindedly), but his level of energy means a lot of excited barking or demanding barking for play. Note: he never gets rewarded with play if he barks.

It's just not realistic for us to spend any more time focused one-on-one with him. Are we neglecting him? Or is this OK, and we should just learn to live with the barking?

Well that breed is pretty notorious for being a loudmouth. With 4 dogges here at the house it figures the loud one is the tiny shiba mixed thing. The other dogs are pretty chill unless something is going on, in which case I want them to make sounds. At 7 you might want to take this to the dog training thread as its going to be a bit more in depth than "no" or shushing the dog at that age. You may need to do the proactive provide something to bark at with a partner, and then provide guidance to the dog who is reacting to it, until you get your desired behavior. IE: someone knocking on the door, doorbell, etc.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Warbird posted:

Your dog is a cat.

Chill dogs are awesome. You can take them more places or leave them with babysitters (guilt free). My dog just absolutely loves fishing. He's happy to come out for a whole day so it's nice to be able to beach every couple of hours and go for a swim and pee without worrying about him disappearing into thousands of acres of bush, makes life easier.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My dog is licking his paws and junk a lot. More than other dogs I've had. Allergies?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

CaptainScraps posted:

My dog is licking his paws and junk a lot. More than other dogs I've had. Allergies?

Yeah, those are common signs for allergies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CaptainScraps posted:

My dog is doing the same thing. I've been checking him for fleas or a breakout every day because I'm super paranoid about fleas, but I haven't found any. The grass is growing at a ridiculous rate right now so I'm assuming it's some kind of grass allergy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog enjoys ice cubes but if I put them in his water bowl he barks and at growls making the hair on the back of his neck stands up.

He can open doors, point birds, pick up a bird scent from ridiculous distances and wrestle with bigger dogs. He's a smart dog but Jesus he has his quirks.

Oh and if you make a fart sound by his butt he whips back to smell it like he's scared he farted and didn't know it.

Dogs are weird.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There's a story about how you found the last one out that I'd very much like to hear.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

There's a story about how you found the last one out that I'd very much like to hear.

Nothing really all that funny, one day I just made a farting noise with my mouth as he walked by. He whipped back around real quick and smelled his butt with this look of shame on his face.

We gently caress with him occasionally now. Its hilarious. I'm sure its doing some sort of mental damage.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Every time the dog does something bad or annoying, I end up spending $30 on toys or chews or sprays or this or that. Ugh. It would be much cheaper to just electrocute her now and then.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

Every time the dog does something bad or annoying, I end up spending $30 on toys or chews or sprays or this or that. Ugh. It would be much cheaper to just electrocute her now and then.

you are never going to raise a proper babykilling murder dog that way.. sticks are free hit it with a stick. :catbert:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Any reason I shouldn't spread some grass seed on a few patchy spots in my lawn from a dog perspective? They're in areas that will be hard to keep him off of.

Edit: looks like they advise keeping pets off. Probably a bunch of fertilizer or something built into this mix. I'll do my best to keep him clear!

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 10, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I posted here a few weeks ago asking about housetraining the ~1 year old rescue I adopted recently, and that's been going well. The big issue I have with her now is the biting. It only started a few weeks after I'd had her, once she got more comfortable. Really, she's just playing and she knows not to bite hard, but she's always trying to bite when she's feeling playful, and so she snaps at your hand more often than not when you try to pet her, or nips your ankle when you walk by. She's gentle enough that I'd be fine with it during playtime, but she does it constantly, and it makes me worried about bringing her around kids.

The internet articles I've read say to say NO and take your hand away for a few seconds when she tries to bite, or stop playing entirely for a minute, but since I've been working on it, it's a constant interruption whenever I pet her or play with her, and she gets frustrated because she doesn't know why I won't let her play, or why quiet cuddling time on my lap stops when she gently mouths my hand. I've also tried substituting a toy, and I've finally managed to teach her how to play tug-of-war, but she gets bored with it and wants to wrestle again after a minute or two.

She's just so happy and innocent about it that I feel really bad having to discipline her when she's having fun. :( I have no idea how I'd train her to do it only during playtime, though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What's the rule for walks after eating? I've read that it's not good immediately after a dog eats, but I've heard varying times from 15 minutes to an hour. But I've also heard it doesn't matter and right away is fine.

WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON PI?????

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Depends on how strenuous the exercise is. A stroll for a sniffy walk around the neighborhood is fine, but if you're planning on actually making them work you should maybe wait a little bit.

Kinda like how you could go for a stroll after dinner but probably wouldn't drive straight to the gym or go for a run right after you eat.

FWIW I feed my dog an hour before agility class (maximum exertion on his part) and he's totally fine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phenotype posted:

I posted here a few weeks ago asking about housetraining the ~1 year old rescue I adopted recently, and that's been going well. The big issue I have with her now is the biting. It only started a few weeks after I'd had her, once she got more comfortable. Really, she's just playing and she knows not to bite hard, but she's always trying to bite when she's feeling playful, and so she snaps at your hand more often than not when you try to pet her, or nips your ankle when you walk by. She's gentle enough that I'd be fine with it during playtime, but she does it constantly, and it makes me worried about bringing her around kids.

The internet articles I've read say to say NO and take your hand away for a few seconds when she tries to bite, or stop playing entirely for a minute, but since I've been working on it, it's a constant interruption whenever I pet her or play with her, and she gets frustrated because she doesn't know why I won't let her play, or why quiet cuddling time on my lap stops when she gently mouths my hand. I've also tried substituting a toy, and I've finally managed to teach her how to play tug-of-war, but she gets bored with it and wants to wrestle again after a minute or two.

She's just so happy and innocent about it that I feel really bad having to discipline her when she's having fun. :( I have no idea how I'd train her to do it only during playtime, though.

gentle no, remove hand and cup the muzzle for a second so she associates the mouth behavior. 2nd firmer no, and 2 fingers tap on the bridge of the nose. 3rd LIGHT pop to the nose followed by a firm NO and discontinuing play for a bit.

the only during "playtime" thing you can associate with "wanna play?????" and make a big deal out of it, just make sure to have a "calm down now" or a "chill time" thing set up so the pupper knows what to do.. its all about creating expectations that the dog knows are constants and being very CONSTANT about them. they usually come around. Hell the 1 year pibbul puppy is getting really good about playing with the eh.... 3-4 month kitten so mouth training can work, just got to be religious about it, make sure they save it for playtime when you can wrestle or play tug of war or something.. they all definitely need an outlet for bites and chewing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, here's little Chloe the show cocker at home.

Our first couple of days with her have had some ups and downs - she's a very good, sweet little dog, but settling in isn't easy and we're rookie owners who are still figuring things out as we go. Still, she's definitely getting used to her crate despite a rough first night, toilet training is going pretty well, and we're starting on some basic commands like 'sit' and 'come'. No dietary problems, either. We're still trying to sort out the chewing and play-biting, because there's a fair amount of that, but I think we're making progress. Having lots of toys around helps.

She also likes to climb into your lap and snuggle when you sit down near her, which is goddamn adorable.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fuckface went in my shower, took a bar of soap out, and chewed it far more than one would think he would. I'm not mad, but he's a weird poo poo.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Can a dog recognise different bird species?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

:siren:Amazon has dog crates on sale for over 50% off for Prime Day:siren:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Another good place to look for crates is Groupon and any of your ross, tj Maxx, marshalls. Our store has a pet aisle with full size metal crates for $30.

My favorite deal was picking up a new large vari kennel on Craigslist for $25.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I always take a look at the pet aisle when I'm in TJ Maxx. Sometimes they have good stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Should I get a front clip harness to prevent pulling? She doesn't pull all of the time. Should I just be reinforcing the regular methods?

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.

FogHelmut posted:

Should I get a front clip harness to prevent pulling? She doesn't pull all of the time. Should I just be reinforcing the regular methods?

In my experience they don't really stop the dog from pulling, just make it so they can't pull nearly as hard. They're good if you have a dog that likes to try to yank your arm out of its socket but they're not a substitute for good training.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

get a gentle leader

http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

they own

my dog is a huge rear end in a top hat on the leash and will choke himself out just to sniff a blade of grass. on the gentle leader is almost like he isnt there and i'm just walking holding a leash.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Eh, she's like 32 lbs, she has no power, its not disrupting my strength or balance or anything. I just want her to be good.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Tools will give you an edge, but they will not solve your leash walking issues without being used in conjunction with training. To me, use whatever tool you want, but use it with the intention of eventually fading it to a flat buckle collar.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Where does everybody come down on pet insurance? I've only called on one plan so far (Nationwide) because there was a pamphlet in my packet from the vet and it looks like they would cover 90% of basically everything after a $250 annual deductible for $75 per month. I'm having a hard time crunching the numbers but it seems like with the monthly pup visits for the next while + flea/tick and heartworm medication for what will eventually be a very large dog (Irish Wolfhound) it might be worthwhile...

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you plan on spending more than 1200 in vet bills a year? If so then the insurance is probably worth it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bamhand posted:

Do you plan on spending more than 1200 in vet bills a year? If so then the insurance is probably worth it.

Nobody plans on their pet breaking their leg.

Pet insurance is cool and good until you manage to put away about $1500 for a pet emergency fund.

However, $75/mo is steep compared to what I have shopped for. I've seen it from $25-40 that will cover mostly everything. Just check to see what your local vet takes.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Tree Dude posted:

Where does everybody come down on pet insurance? I've only called on one plan so far (Nationwide) because there was a pamphlet in my packet from the vet and it looks like they would cover 90% of basically everything after a $250 annual deductible for $75 per month. I'm having a hard time crunching the numbers but it seems like with the monthly pup visits for the next while + flea/tick and heartworm medication for what will eventually be a very large dog (Irish Wolfhound) it might be worthwhile...

People are split on it. Some say it's a good idea just in case, some are of the mindset that you should just put the money you would spend on that into an Oh poo poo fund.

I'm in the former camp, because a few months of saving 38
35-40 bucks(more on that number in a minute) doesn't come close to covering any emergency surgery(especially after my old shiba had an obstruction that ended up being 1,700). We're going to get some soon because we live in a house with 6 other dogs, and there's 5(?) more on the property who are separate but dog aggressive. All the dog's in the house get along, but all it takes is one chance incident for poo poo to get real.

I did a lot of research and petplan is my favorite I found. Best coverage for the price for sure. With my 3 year old husky it was only 35 for their default middle of the road plan, but they allow customization as far as deductible, max amount, etc. They're one of the few insurances that covers hereditary issues with no extra fee(I.e., hip dysplasia in German shepherds) and your dog doesn't age out of it.

Keep in mind no insurance I've seen covers routine care and iirc preexisting conditions. With a wolf hound it sounds like a good investment imo especially if you can swing it because dogs are dumb and poo poo can happen(with my shiba we were told she would have to be put down if we couldn't pay, thank gently caress my ex had good enough credit to get care credit to cover it).

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I have pet insurance with Trupanion and I've liked them a lot. Like precious posters have said, insurance won't cover preventative care so your flea/tick meds will still have to come out of your pocket. If your Irish Wolfhound ever needs real medication though to treat something it may be useful because meds for a big dog can be very expensive.

Trupanion uses a deductible per condition instead of annually, which has been good for me because both my cats have minor, chronic health issues and have had to take meds for years which are 90% covered. Hell I am a vet and usually get a pretty sweet discount on things and although I got insurance before I even got into vet school I plan on keeping it until they die. Just for the peace of mind that if an emergency happens I don't have to worry as much.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
This one plan I called on did claim to cover heartworm/flea stuff and covered things like hip dysplasia. Obviously I would read the fine print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hello PDOT! Long time!
Hana the Great Dane has, after a long bunch of issues, turned into the best dog in the world, so I figured I would do a picture bomb drive-by:

Low tide is best tide:

Posing in the forest:

And just being a dane:

It only took 4 different trainers and just about every single training technique, before we figured out how *we* were supposed to behave.