Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, that makes sense and what I'm seeing. If I buy it new (or more likely used) assembly is probably the route. I actually don't have a big hate for the orange signal lights. It kind of works with the black car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just throw some ebay specials in there!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrera-911-996-Boxster-986-LED-R8-Projector-Headlight-BK-PORSCHE-4-4S-Turbo-GT-/121187847884?fits=Make%3APorsche

Wait,. what?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, that's certainly a thing

Maybe it comes with a car, or two.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

43 sold? That's a drug front.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Do it, I can help with the suspension/steering stuff that needs replacement.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You and your enabling. I might take you up on that. I need to jump a couple hoops to be safe but I think I should know tomorrow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Whelp I have know entered the realm of the cheapest 911 ownership.

Already ordered trunk and rear deck shock supports and some excellent looking used headlights to replace the ones the original owner burnt up with HIDZ or something.

Definitely not perfect, but the interior darn near is. Paint is about an 7.5/10 with the black showing an honest 17 years of wear. Interior is a 9.5/10. Fairly light in the options area except some very nice sport seats and a factory CD unit/speakers which still sound shockingly good. Runs very well and interior is rattle free.

Sorry about crappy cell pics but it was a long day yesterday.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Do it, I can help with the suspension/steering stuff that needs replacement.

How much suspension could it possibly need?

I know how much suspension it wants.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Octane question. Supposedly the carerra wants 93 octane but the only thing higher than 91 that I can find has some methanol (94). Is that a problem?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Octane question. Supposedly the carerra wants 93 octane but the only thing higher than 91 that I can find has some methanol (94). Is that a problem?

Not at 3000 feet. You could probably get away with costco's 89. Don't put husky 94 in, it gets the 94 from piles of ethanol.

It being an old porsche, esso or shell 91 is probably your best bet

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 28, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How much suspension could it possibly need?

I know how much suspension it wants.

I mean, it probably needs some KWs, but probably doesn't need cup car suspension links.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Not at 3000 feet. You could probably get away with costco's 89. Don't put husky 94 in, it gets the 94 from piles of ethanol.

It being an old porsche, esso or shell 91 is probably your best bet

Spoke to the guy who owned it and he said there was a Petro-can near him which had 94 and he used it.. pretty sure that stuff would be ethanoled up too.

I see your point though, considering my altitude and I'll never likely drive it through any high mountain passes or anything, I'll probably stick with good premium. I think Costco has 91. Who is the best for less/no ethanol?

Also, Oil question. Mobil 1 Synthetic the way to go as :siren: RECOMMENDED BY PORSCHE???? :siren:

PO said he used Motul 5W40

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Spoke to the guy who owned it and he said there was a Petro-can near him which had 94 and he used it.. pretty sure that stuff would be ethanoled up too.

I see your point though, considering my altitude and I'll never likely drive it through any high mountain passes or anything, I'll probably stick with good premium. I think Costco has 91. Who is the best for less/no ethanol?

Also, Oil question. Mobil 1 Synthetic the way to go as :siren: RECOMMENDED BY PORSCHE???? :siren:

PO said he used Motul 5W40

As long has he drove it regularly, there really shouldn't be a problem. The petrocan junk is the same stuff. Esso and shell both advertise ethanol free premium.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I know Coop gets their gas from Shell as well so their ethanol free too. I believe Costco just tenders out to the lowest bidder on the market so its usually a toss up whether they have ethanol or not.

But like Powershift says it's not going to matter if you drive it regularly. I'd make a point of doing atleast one fill up with shell premium before winter though.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

I know Coop gets their gas from Shell as well so their ethanol free too. I believe Costco just tenders out to the lowest bidder on the market so its usually a toss up whether they have ethanol or not.

But like Powershift says it's not going to matter if you drive it regularly. I'd make a point of doing atleast one fill up with shell premium before winter though.

What is the SHELL and Porsche connection? Is it simply the lack of ethanol?

The only reason I ask is, I always see the vintage Porsche liveries with the SHELL logo on them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lol drive regularly. 5k in 2 years but gently caress me she runs well. I have an Esso 1 block away I'll just do premium fills there I think.
E: Jamal let's finally do a beer next weekend

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 29, 2016

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Had the exhaust replaced on my 944 today, the leak was bad enough that if I rev'd it on the spot I'd get a face full of exhaust.

They said someone had tried to repair the manifold while it was on the car and they didn't seem to have much talent at welding. I had them repair the manifold (getting a replacement would be difficult over here) and replace the rest of the system because it wasn't looking great after 30 years. Sounds great now, I'm hoping once it's carbon'd up it'll quieten down a little at mid range revs because anything above low revs and it gets pretty loud.

It really sucked when I got it out on the road though, the steering is absolutely hosed. Wandering all over the place and whenever I touch a bump on the road I hear a solid clunk. I think the shop must have touched something they shouldn't have, I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted. Really annoying only because I had hoped I wouldn't need to mess with the steering on this thing for a while, it was handling perfectly before this.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
There is no greater feeling of relief than when your check engine light turns off after a few start ups.

Friendly reminder that we'd drive fickle machines that get upset if we accelerate to hard before a warm up or let our gas get too low.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

There is no greater feeling of relief than when your check engine light turns off after a few start ups.

Friendly reminder that we'd drive fickle machines that get upset if we accelerate to hard before a warm up or let our gas get too low.

Italian tune up: drive the snot out of it

German tune up: keep turning the key until the electronics change their minds

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Also I feel our thread title should be: check engine like steady? Race ready, check engine like blinking, you should be wincing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there any news on what is going to happen with the Cayenne diesels?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Any opinions on a high mileage (relatively) ,05 boxster base? It's got 165 k km (just over 100k miles) and from the minimalist description and two pictures in the ad, it looks in decent shape. Did a quick search for a buyers guides and beyond the basics I didn't see anything too model specific.

What are the chances it's a basket case and what should I look out for? It's priced reasonably for the market it's in and I want a baby Porsche to tool around in for the rest of summer and sell in a year or two. I'm flying out to Ontario this week and if it looks good I hope to drive it back to Winnipeg, it seems the Porsche prices here are a good couple thousand higher than Ontario so I might actually make out ahead on the desk in the end.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I feel bad for making GBS threads up this thread with my lovely 944 problems. I was just starting to think I was on top of the problems but something popped up that might pull the car off the road for a while.

A week and a half ago I started getting a grinding noise when taking off from a stop in 1st, as the clutch engages. Only get it about 50% of the time and it's only after it's warmed up a bit. Sounds like it's coming from the transaxle but it's hard to tell. No other grinding past that point and no other issues getting into gear or slipping out.

I noticed tonight that it's at the last part of the engagement point - so I can get it to roll and hold it there but if I release the pedal any further it starts to grind.

I threw in some Redline MT-90 a few days ago. Helped with making the gearbox a bit smoother but made no change to the grinding. I'm guessing at this point it's the clutch but I would have thought it would grind straight away rather than after it's already part way engaged.

Sorry if I'm a bit vague, I'm not sure where I should begin with this problem

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Throw out bearing perhaps? At a particular load it's grinding and only in first could be because the gear changes are quick enough in other gears?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The throwout bearing isn't a crazy idea although for it to actually "grind" it's going to be in a bad way. In my experience they'll make a little noise but not as scary like squeaking or something before it gets to that stage, but who knows. How old is it?

Also, regarding that 05 Boxster where is it from and was it winter driven with that many miles? What was the IMS situation for Boxsters of that vintage?

In other news, got the 911 back and caught up with my immediate maintenance needs (headlights, front tires, bringing the paint back) and started ordering maintenance parts.

Plugs, belt, fuel filter, IMS cam chain tensioner (noisy at start up, supposedly super common but scares me so I'm doing it) and I'm also going to get an AOS for it since I don't think it was ever done and see some oil/dirty residue around the throttle body and boots.

Did flip through the old records and found that the cooling tank was done by the dealer about 30K ago, so knock on wood I'll be OK there. Got the Bentley manual for it and I'm pretty impressed with their depth.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

From what I've read they don't suffer the IMS issue, and I'm not sure if it's been winter driven, with the mileage I'm leaning towards yes. He says it's never been in an accident and that it's all original. The seller's retired so hopefully it hasn't been horribly abused. It's from the Niagara falls region so not sure what to expect, thinking of trying to go see it tonight, it's an hour away from where I'm staying. Did all Porsches get the fancy full chassis rust proofing dip or is that just the 911 and not the lesser boxster?

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to see it tonight and it's as nice as it's described. I'm pretty smitten already so I'm trying to keep a clear head as much as I can and not do a really stupid purchase.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

On my phone but quick googling of 2005 Boxster IMS shows failures appear to be pretty common. If you can get a good deal might be worthwhile and check it out but caveat emptor

E:"common" is relative

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm not too well versed on Porsche pricing but trolling kijiji I think it might be a good price. He's got it listed at 17k CAD and I've offered $15k to see if he'll bite and he hasn't said no to that, and I'll see the condition of the car within the next day or two and talk with him in person.

From looking at Winnipeg sale ads, with what I know about it, it would be listed at ~$19k-20k back home.

Hell, there's 98's with ~130k km listed at $14k

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can't speak for the Boxster but generic advice is to get it checked out at a good independent mechanic for a PPI.

Barring that, check for the regular car things and check Porsche/german specific issues like cooling tank weepage and AOS symptoms (wet around throttle body and boots).

Keep in mind, and I swiftly discovered this as a new 911 owner, other than the normal maintenance items, parts can be shockingly expensive. Maintenance items aren't really that bad though. Hope to Christ you never have to tear into that motor due to a failure. Just be aware of what you're getting in to with the price of admission. The build quality of the cars though are top knotch. I am still shocked that my 99 911 is as quiet and rattle free as it is. Literally amazingly so and it drives like a new car.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

slidebite posted:

The throwout bearing isn't a crazy idea although for it to actually "grind" it's going to be in a bad way. In my experience they'll make a little noise but not as scary like squeaking or something before it gets to that stage, but who knows. How old is it?

Someone at work suggested it was a throwout bearing too. No noise before this started happening, the only thing that I can think of is it started after I had the exhaust done but I really don't think there could be a connection there.

No idea how old it is, I'm missing a few parts of the maintenance history. At 214k on it I figured it was at the very least not the original, especially considering it didn't have any issues.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

From what I've read they don't suffer the IMS issue, and I'm not sure if it's been winter driven, with the mileage I'm leaning towards yes. He says it's never been in an accident and that it's all original. The seller's retired so hopefully it hasn't been horribly abused. It's from the Niagara falls region so not sure what to expect, thinking of trying to go see it tonight, it's an hour away from where I'm staying. Did all Porsches get the fancy full chassis rust proofing dip or is that just the 911 and not the lesser boxster?

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to see it tonight and it's as nice as it's described. I'm pretty smitten already so I'm trying to keep a clear head as much as I can and not do a really stupid purchase.

It's the worst rendition of several bad renditions of the IMS bearing, the following quote here is sourced off the settlement link, which I'll link here:https://web.archive.org/web/20141221022724/http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

EDIT: I'd encourage you to keep looking 06+ though, the failure rates were much lower and ~09+ the IMS bearing can be retrofitted.

EDIT 2: You still have the Baja right? Haven't seen that thread in awhile

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 19, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah I still have the Baja, it's been sitting the garage as I've been lazy and kept getting distracted with side projects. Was wanting to paint it this year but I'm pretty behind, hopefully I can squeeze that in before the end of fall.

And I kinda went against the nagging in my head and I left a deposit on the car with an agreement to purchase for a total price of $14.5k CAD. (Just over $11k USD if Google is to be believed)

The good:

Clean title, The body is near perfect, no dents, no rust that I could spot anywhere, the suspension is phenomenal, it's got lots of meat on the brakes, comes with two sets of oem wheels, current owner hasn't winter driven it, all the electronics function, and I mean all of them, it's been maintained for the last few years by a guy who just hands it to a mechanic with the instructions to do what's needed, the top has no rips and appears in good condition, the motor sounds phenomenal, test drove it for about an hour and a half and couldn't find/hear anything wrong mechanically with the car, clutch feels pretty nice.

The so-so:
Interior has seen better days for sure but considering it's age and mileage it's pretty decent. It's got an aftermarket stereo, tires will need to be replaced soon.

The bad:
The driver's speaker is blown, makes farty noises when it's turned up, the vents on the driver's side have detached from the flaps that direct airflow (you can tilt then left right but you can't move them up down, hopefully I'll be simple to reconnect the mechanisms) the window/windshield that sits between the seats vibrates a little at highway speed, I'll have to figure out how to stop that vibration. The two keys are tapped up so they look lovely, both function as remotes still, just look a little crappy.

For this price I talked him down to, I have the choice of slightly lower mileage 98-00 boxsters, or this one, and this body style definitely tickles my feathers better than the previous gen. I can live/fix/deal with it's flaws for the price I will pay.

Also I'm an idiot who doesn't take photos when looking at / buying a car so here's one from the ad:

Reading the replies, well, poo poo... I guess 92% is still a pretty good chance the one I just bought isn't going to poo poo the bed in the year or so I plan on owning it, it made it this far, right :ohdear:

Already talked with my wife and the way she put it is "it's only money" in response to my question of what happens it turns out I buy a dressed up basket case that does a bluesmobile impression after the title is transferred into my name. I love that woman

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 19, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is it a Canadian spec car or US? Maintenance records?

Did you look for leaks, RMS or anything like that?

Ask to do a cold start, preferably 24 hours+ when you go to get it.

I'd be optimistic that with that many miles the IMS should be OK but it's really a crapshoot. Do an oilchange and get a magentic drain plug if it doesn't have one already.

Take a photo of the build tag underside the frunk for all the option codes.

If it's like the 911, front and rear speakers are supposedly an easy 3.5" fit.

Congrats on porch ownership :hfive:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Is it a Canadian spec car or US? Maintenance records?

Did you look for leaks, RMS or anything like that?

Ask to do a cold start, preferably 24 hours+ when you go to get it.

I'd be optimistic that with that many miles the IMS should be OK but it's really a crapshoot. Do an oilchange and get a magentic drain plug if it doesn't have one already.

Take a photo of the build tag underside the frunk for all the option codes.

If it's like the 911, front and rear speakers are supposedly an easy 3.5" fit.

Congrats on porch ownership :hfive:

US Car, Maintenance records are spotty, the current owner seems like he just likes the car because it's a porsche, he didn't really seem knowledgable about cars or what maintenance was done other than it cost him a pretty penny. I found reciepts throughout the car for regular maintenance so it seems to fit his story.

Looked for leaks but the underside is a solid slab of plastic and getting the top into service positon and removing the engine cover was beyond the current owners comprehension. I looked hard for signs of it leaking and didn't see anything although that's no gaurentee. (no oil spots anywhere on his property, no smell, no oily residue on the underside anywhere)

I'll do the cold start before I hand over the rest of the money. I've got some money in a BMO account that I'll withdraw tomorow, and I've got the rest in a PC financial savings account so I've got to do some ATM fuckery to get it all out. Just got the idea that it might be simpler to just pay a $1.50 to do an interac e-transfer from my PC account to my BMO account and just withdraw the full amount in one go. The juices are flowing.

The seller says it had a recent oil change I believe, I'll double check the reciepts when I go with the money. Does it need some fancy german oil or is a full synth good enough? Probably going to do a change when I get home just for piece of mind.

Will do with the build tag. From the looks of it I think it's a base package, or well, I don't know. All I know is that it's not the Chrono package as there's no track timer on the dash :(

I'm gambling a bit by rusing into this, but I've only got until next thursday to pull out the money to buy it, obtain the TOD, send a fax to MPI and purchase a temporary registration from them that they will fax to me so that I can physically drive it off his lot legally, and tell my bosses to cancel my plane ticket back as I'll be driving my new financial dissaster porch! That horseshoe up my rear end better still be lucky.

Planning on buying the fancy CAA package as a just-in-case of dissaster, 320 km of towing should hopefully be enough to get me to civilization if I break down somewhere in rural ontario.

And thanks :hfive:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Was it a dealer?

Porsche A40 rated Synthetic. Mobil 1 is what is "officially" recommended but Castrol Edge is rated and just fine, arguable better (Mobile 1 doesn't have a ton of fans in Porsche land from what I have seen) and can be found on sale at Crappy periodically. Just was 2 weeks ago for $32 for a 5L.

Buying a non-detailed record porch isn't the end of the world if the price reflects it. I think you did OK based on the miles and lack of records. I'd like to see some more pics though. :)

Planning on trying to flip it or drive it for a year or two and see how it grows on you?

Also, for $$$ access as I am a PCF account holder too. I found the easiest way to just have a LOC with another local brick and mortar institution. I have one with TD. Go to the local bank, get my draft, walk 20' to the ATM, deposit a check from my PCF acct. Done and never get charged a dime of interest and they always seem to waive the draft fee too so it literally costs me nothing to borrow the money.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks for the info, you've been really helpful. My wallet wants me to flip it but my heart wants me to keep it as it completely reminded me of the 911 carrera convertible we had for our wedding so it's tugging all my emotional heart strings.

I suck at flipping cars because I fall in love with them too easily. I really want to drive it for at least the rest of this summer before putting it up for sale, but I don't think that'll happen. With this one we've now got 4 cars between the two of us so something has to go. The Impreza and this Boxster are the only two where we'll have a chance of making some money by reselling so both might go on the choping block and whatever sells first is the one to go.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No problem at all dude. One last piece of advice: Don't go on Rennlist too much. It's mostly made up of people having issues and will give you an ulcer just because you'll start waiting for said disasters to fall on you. That said it's a great resource and Pelican Parts has some really good how-to guides as well. I was going to say this manual but I noticed it stops at 2004 :(. I have one for my 911 and I was pleasantly surprised.

Take photos of yours and I'll take photos of mine :haw:

I realize I really haven't taken much for photos either

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Reading the replies, well, poo poo... I guess 92% is still a pretty good chance the one I just bought isn't going to poo poo the bed in the year or so I plan on owning it, it made it this far, right :ohdear:

Already talked with my wife and the way she put it is "it's only money" in response to my question of what happens it turns out I buy a dressed up basket case that does a bluesmobile impression after the title is transferred into my name. I love that woman

Eh if you're just gonna tool around for a little while I wouldn't worry about it either; I have an '08 myself and those you can't even replace the bearing without taking the engine apart so don't let me stop you. I'm too lazy to double check, but keep in mind if you wanted to keep it it's likely you could have the bearing replaced with ones that don't explode.

What slidebite said, also if you actually go looking for blown ims bearings you actually have a hard time finding any posts about it...

Enjoy! Such a unique experience: loads of grip, steering feel stands out among all the cars I've owned, suspension is stiff but compliant (and I'm in CA where the roads are absolute garbage and have no problems dailying it)

EDIT: also your wife has the right outlook, where else are you gonna get a modernish rear mid-engine car for that kinda money these days? What a time to be alive

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 19, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So I, ugh, lucked out. Car has the owner's manual, and a partial service history with about half a dozen receipts for various work done to it dating from 06 to 12.

Just drove it back from Niagara falls to Cambridge and it's definitely a great cruiser, top down got a little chilly by the end but was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh hell yeah, I was wondering about you today.

Post some pics when you get a chance! Congrats! :)