Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

pretty funny to watch the servers die and struggle to come up again before dying once more in waves an hour apart as different US (and Canada) time zones go on their noon breaks
California is going to lunch in 15 minutes and I don't anticipate being able to play this again until 9 pm after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I sure as hell didn't expect this game to be as popular as it is, I guess they didn't either

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Hello darkness, my old friend

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Is there anyone in the Harrisburg, PA area interested in doing some Pokemans? I had a Harrisburg channel made on Discord.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fullhouse posted:

pretty funny to watch the servers die and struggle to come up again before dying once more in waves an hour apart as different US (and Canada) time zones go on their noon breaks
California is going to lunch in 15 minutes and I don't anticipate being able to play this again until 9 pm after that

I like this game but hate the devs, since the servers are only reliable at night time the best and probably most fun and active way to play it is public parks that are lit at night, or hiking trails with a head lamp, and of course both of these places have level 12 caterpies and my friends who have an apartment above a bar are catching level 218 snorlaxs from their bathroom

The GPS locations pretty much turned what could have been the most sociable and healthy stupid phone game into more of just a regular stupid phone game. If they open up requests/suggestions for changes to the locations this could be amazing, but even if they eventually do this all of the laziest people will already have level 999 charizards

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i was just sitting at the humane society for like 3 hours and there was 3 pokestops there and i couldn't farm them because of the stupid servers :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I sure as hell didn't expect this game to be as popular as it is, I guess they didn't either
Launching it like worldwide on, like, an Athlon XP for a server was pretty bad as well.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Killer Queen posted:

It's really tiring to have the second day in a row with the servers dying around noon EDT. Yeah, the server load is insane, but there's really no excuse for skimping out on a Pokemon game's servers. They knew this was going to happen! :argh:

So I did a bit of reading, because I noticed that everyone just vomited stuff like this out:

Tender Bender posted:

Pretty much every online game ever has server overloads at launch and it's because that's the time when EVERYONE is trying to play all at once. Even if they keep most of their users the login times will level off. It's not worth investing in the infrastructure to handle a server load that is only going to be an issue for a few days.

I can't tell if they actually know what they're talking about or if it's just an explanation they read once and twenty years of MMOs later they just hit the I believe button. Either way from what I read the issue is that the game is built in such a way that it can't benefit from more servers. We're probably all hitting the same database, which sets up a central bottleneck that can't easily be routed around with more servers. So even if they did get Jeff Bezos to hand over the entire Amazon Cloud, it wouldn't do anything to alleviate the database issue. Even if it did, plugging in and removing that kind of stuff could lead to a lot of massive downstream issues that would piss everyone off once they'd progressed further in the game.

I mean what they really should have done is owned the issue and said "hey guys, our game probably will be difficult to log into for the first few days" but they assumed there'd be enough smug MMO veterans like this guy around to explain it to everyone, and also we'll all forget about these issues in a few weeks whereas if they say "hey here is a known, intentional flaw in your pokemon go gaming experience" then that poo poo will be around to quote forever by vengeful nerds.

Anyway see you in the game whenever!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Some people have said that individual Pokémon are instanced. Are we sure about this? Twice today, a stranger and I encountered the same monster in the same place at the same time. There was a humongous Krabby at a nursery and then a Koffing outside of a bank.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Prop Wash posted:

Either way from what I read the issue is that the game is built in such a way that it can't benefit from more servers. We're probably all hitting the same database

If this is true, that's pretty damning. I can't imagine a company that already has experience would be that incompetent though.

Chill Penguin posted:

Some people have said that individual Pokémon are instanced. Are we sure about this? Twice today, a stranger and I encountered the same monster in the same place at the same time. There was a humongous Krabby at a nursery and then a Koffing outside of a bank.

I've heard the exact opposite.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Smug MMO veterans"? If basic pattern recognition is a sign of smugness then call me the Smuggest

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they should make all gamestops pokespots. can i get a gamer heck yeah

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill Penguin posted:

Twice today, a stranger and I encountered the same monster in the same place at the same time.

Yeah, the same ones show up for everyone but exist and can be caught separately.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

My wife and I consistently catch the same pokes over and over. Often I can have my game open at home and see something pop up, and my wife can log in and it will show up for her moments later as well.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Chill Penguin posted:

If my girlfriend spots something and I don't have my phone out if I turn it on I can catch the same pokemon, so we definitely get the same ones.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Well, the game hasn't killed anybody yet, but it did turn up a dead body.

quote:

"The Pokemons are all over Riverton," she said. Shayla showed County 10 the game on her cellphone which displayed a map of Riverton where these Pokemons are located.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I wish the servers could stay up long enough for me to take a nice long walk. The park near me is a goldmine, a few gyms and Pokestops almost every 30 feet because of historical plaques on all the park benches:

I got to one of the gyms (another bench) that seemed easy to take over and there were 3 dudes sitting on the bench playing. The park was actually full of 20 somethings wandering around with their phones up, pretty funny. Too bad the servers crashed right when I tried to start a gym battle.

Aureliu5
May 28, 2016
Did anyone find the actual game in this game yet?

Or is it just about walking and catching Pokémons when you stumble on them.

--- Aurelius ---

PAD US: 323,184,330

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

I can't tell if they actually know what they're talking about or if it's just an explanation they read once and twenty years of MMOs later they just hit the I believe button. Either way from what I read the issue is that the game is built in such a way that it can't benefit from more servers. We're probably all hitting the same database, which sets up a central bottleneck that can't easily be routed around with more servers. So even if they did get Jeff Bezos to hand over the entire Amazon Cloud, it wouldn't do anything to alleviate the database issue. Even if it did, plugging in and removing that kind of stuff could lead to a lot of massive downstream issues that would piss everyone off once they'd progressed further in the game.

I mean what they really should have done is owned the issue and said "hey guys, our game probably will be difficult to log into for the first few days" but they assumed there'd be enough smug MMO veterans like this guy around to explain it to everyone, and also we'll all forget about these issues in a few weeks whereas if they say "hey here is a known, intentional flaw in your pokemon go gaming experience" then that poo poo will be around to quote forever by vengeful nerds.

Anyway see you in the game whenever!

Where did you read this lol

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

If this is true, that's pretty damning. I can't imagine a company that already has experience would be that incompetent though.

Well it's not like we're instanced. I may not have any way to really interact with you if you're in the US, but you and everyone else logging on in the USTZ early afternoon still crashes my game in Europe.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aureliu5 posted:

Capturing and defending gyms is probably what you're looking for.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Aureliu5 posted:

That and gyms is pretty much it. It's not a very deep game, still fun though, but we'll see how long it lasts.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Where did you read this lol

If I'm wrong then I'm sure some obsessive network admin will be along to explain how it actually works, and then we'll all be better educated. In the meantime feel free to make mouth noises

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
It'd be great to make some progress in this game without having to run around my empty rear end neighborhood at 10pm with like 1 loving pokestop near by.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

If I'm wrong then I'm sure some obsessive network admin will be along to explain how it actually works, and then we'll all be better educated. In the meantime feel free to make mouth noises

you used the words "from what I read" in your post that makes a lot of very specific assumptions about the server/database setup in this phone game, so you could try citing that (or admitting you made it all up)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was just sharing what I've seen explained every time any online game for the past decade+ has login issues at launch, sorry if that was too smug for you.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Chill Penguin posted:

Multiple people can definitely catch the exact same pokemon, but it does vary with player level.

I was the same level as someone else, and we both caught a 143 Oddish.

Was with people 2-3 levels lower- we caught Meowth at the same location/time, but mine was like 130 power, and theirs was 50 power.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

also the game not remembering your google login really blows if you have 2-step authentication

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Is Combat Power tied to your trainer level?

Like if a have a weedle with a cap of 100, when I level up will it's power also move up? Or is it stuck forever at 100 being it's cap, unless it's evolved.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Several times in the past, World of Warcraft has had server issues. Sometimes it is a problem with the login server and not the actual game servers themselves. I think the login server itself is basically just "Is this person a registered and legal user?" and that's all the interaction you have with it.

But when lots of people are trying to access it at once (like say, a game launch) the server itself can overload and not let anyone on.

It's possible today something similar is going on with Go, more likely than a goon making things up whole cloth. Not much more likely, mind you.

Also I made this whole post up.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

No it's cool Tender Bender I'm sure everyone is super-interested in your baseless suppositions.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

crazkylo posted:

Like if a have a weedle with a cap of 100, when I level up will it's power also move up? Or is it stuck forever at 100 being it's cap, unless it's evolved.

The CP cap is tied to your level. Your pokemon's CP won't increase automatically with your level, but its CP cap will increase.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ SERVERS TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

crazkylo posted:

it's cap is tied to your level, so something with a cap of 100 will have its CP cap raised when you level up (but its actual CP won't change)

this also applies to encounters!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

robot roll call posted:

also the game not remembering your google login really blows if you have 2-step authentication

I don't think it's that it doesn't remember, so much as every time there's server issues, it logs everyone out. Eventually, once everything stablizies, you won't have to keep logging in.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

you used the words "from what I read" in your post that makes a lot of very specific assumptions about the server/database setup in this phone game, so you could try citing that (or admitting you made it all up)

Well obviously it's all speculation about the setup. The discussion centered on whether the designers simply chose not to shell out for the infrastructure, or whether they actually can't easily upscale the design. What I was reading was examples from other, unrelated online games.

I was trying to say that it's possible for the latter to be true for Pokemon go, which I think might not be as common knowledge as some people think it is. At any rate its launch day and the servers are crapping out, which makes it prime time for a discussion about why the servers might be out and why the designers might not be able to do anything about it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

robot roll call posted:

I have two step and have never needed to authenticate for Go, do you have some weird super strict authentication setting or something?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish there was more training the pokemon you caught instead of feeding them candy from dupes

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

deadwing posted:

I have two step and have never needed to authenticate for Go, do you have some weird super strict authentication setting or something?

I have a text message sent with a code to input every time I need to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zurui posted:

No it's cool Tender Bender I'm sure everyone is super-interested in your baseless suppositions.

We're speculating about the servers and no one actually works there with hands on knowledge. You don't need to be a dick.

• Locked thread