Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"Hurry we need to get some black people up here to tell people not to shoot cops."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reason posted:

"Hurry we need to get some black people up here to tell people not to shoot cops."

Don't sleep on this guy for "shittiest posting of 2016" yall

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Snoop Dog for Police Chief.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So is think progressive http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/07/08/3796604/dallas-police-ambush-killer-identified/

:v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Don't sleep on this guy for "shittiest posting of 2016" yall

sorry I think you already took that mantle

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get why it's a great attention getter but you hope against hope someone is going to exercise some editorial restraint. I mean I guess at this point the damage is done and if everyone is doing it why handicap yourself but also UGHHHHH

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

now that is really depressing :smith:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

zoux posted:

I get why it's a great attention getter but you hope against hope someone is going to exercise some editorial restraint. I mean I guess at this point the damage is done and if everyone is doing it why handicap yourself but also UGHHHHH

i mean i get the rational reason why you would show both, to show both sides of someone maybe? i would hope some would do it to show how he's separate from BLM and is involved in more extreme black power/nationalist type groups, but gently caress idk

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Paul Ryan wants this to be about the police and race and anything but guns.

It's going to work too.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Reason posted:

:frogout: with your rahowa poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/751499038458015744

By next week people will be tracing this all the way back to 1863.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Glad Snoop is trying to get minds changed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

If this is honestly his Facebook profile pic, then how is the media doing wrong by him by using the photo he presented to the world?

Sure, the photo hurts a bunch of movements I support, but I can see how using that photo is the most newsyest photo to pick.

Consider the outrage if the ideologies were reversed and we found out the media was choosing the army pic over the pic with clothes with ideological overtones.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Micah Johnson is the making of America’s own racist creation

quote:

Please allow me to teach you how to bake a cake from scratch. The recipe has just seven ingredients and it's pretty hard to mess up.

You take:
1 cup of sugar
1/2cup of butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 1/2cups of all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of milk

Mix those ingredients in a bowl. Butter or spray a cake pan a little bit. Pour the mixed ingredients into the cake pan. Cook it 35 minutes at 350 degrees and you're done. You'll have a cake. It'll taste pretty good. Choose your own icing.
You can tinker ever so slightly with the recipe and what comes out on the other end will still be a cake.
However, if you remove just one simple ingredient, like sugar or milk, your final product will be a disgusting, unsightly mess.

Somehow, the United States of America wants to have all of the ingredients for murder and mayhem, cook it at 500 degrees for a few years, and be shocked when what comes out on the other end isn't sweet peace and colorful rainbows. That's not how recipes work.
What you put in, combined with the temperature and time you cook it, determines the final product. It's not luck. It's not chance. It's not a flip of the coin. Baking a good cake is equal parts science and art. Building a harmonious society is no different.

Racism is not just for fringe weirdos — it is pervasive in police departments all over this nation.

Long article with :nms: pics of Sterling and Castille.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If this is honestly his Facebook profile pic, then how is the media doing wrong by him by using the photo he presented to the world?

Well because the message he presented to the world is "kill all cops with sniper attacks". If he's trying to forward race war, then I don't want news media uncritically reporting and helping accomplish that goal, just as I don't think that Unabomber manifestos or serial killer taunt letters should be printed in the paper. This is all highly controversial in journalism circles, of course.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RuanGacho posted:

It's going to work too.

Yep, and what sucks is both need to be addressed, but If people try to latch on guns, Black organizer's are gonna be pissed(justifiably so because it would cover up their complaints), and if we don't then are real good chance to talk about guns in this country is gone.

Like this whole loving situation is great for a discussion about open carry and guns but nope

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

zoux posted:

Well because the message he presented to the world is "kill all cops with sniper attacks". If he's trying to forward race war, then I don't want news media uncritically reporting and helping accomplish that goal, just as I don't think that Unabomber manifestos or serial killer taunt letters should be printed in the paper. This is all highly controversial in journalism circles, of course.

Heaven forbid they report on the facts. Just the narratives convenient to my cause please.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Heaven forbid they report on the facts.

There's no such thing.

https://twitter.com/NormOrnstein/status/751499673425158144

Gee who could be behind this one I wonder.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Reason posted:

shut the gently caress up

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
^ no you

i like how the media is calling his strategy evil but its literally just military training sop for when you're in combat against enemy combatants only evil when its used on our occupying police officers lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Remember in 2009 when Rich Poplawski's dog pissed on his mom's carpet so she left and called the cops on him and he thought it was Obamatroops coming to take MUH GUNS so he gunned them down (three dead) after posting about Obama and Jews on Stormfront and elsewhere all day

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dexo posted:

Yep, and what sucks is both need to be addressed, but If people try to latch on guns, Black organizer's are gonna be pissed(justifiably so because it would cover up their complaints), and if we don't then are real good chance to talk about guns in this country is gone.

Like this whole loving situation is great for a discussion about open carry and guns but nope

I feel like the way to thread the needle on this and start by asking why police officers need to have deadly force without a judge's authorization, like literally, they can't unlock their lethal weapons without a third party authorizing it. Clear rules as to when it's permitted instead of having a militarized peace keeping force. At the very least we can save minority lives from execution like happened this week.

Yes it's going to cost money, civil society does.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Reason posted:

^ no you

i like how the media is calling his strategy evil but its literally just military training sop for when you're in combat against enemy combatants only evil when its used on our occupying police officers lol

what the gently caress are you even talking about

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

RuanGacho posted:

It's going to work too.

At least it's something. Better than the typical "Thoughts and prayers, we can't discuss sensitive matters at a time like this, all lives matter, lalalalala I can't hear you."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RuanGacho posted:

I feel like the way to thread the needle on this and start by asking why police officers need to have deadly force without a judge's authorization, like literally, they can't unlock their lethal weapons without a third party authorizing it. Clear rules as to when it's permitted instead of having a militarized peace keeping force. At the very least we can save minority lives from execution like happened this week.

Yes it's going to cost money, civil society does.

OK, I'm leading the charge on "policing isn't as dangerous as police act like it is" but that doesn't mean I don't think that sometimes it's appropriate for a policeman to use his weapon in a quick-decision situation, you nutjob

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about

'well-thought out evil strategy'

theflyingorc posted:

OK, I'm leading the charge on "policing isn't as dangerous as police act like it is" but that doesn't mean I don't think that sometimes it's appropriate for a policeman to use his weapon in a quick-decision situation, you nutjob

regular police shouldn't even be carrying lethal weapons end of story.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Internet Webguy posted:

At least it's something. Better than the typical "Thoughts and prayers, we can't discuss sensitive matters at a time like this, all lives matter, lalalalala I can't hear you."

I'll stop calling bullshit deflection as soon as he puts a bill up for a vote instead of doing what he always does, pontificating outside of reality.

Paul Ryan doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Not using thoughts and prayers is just not committing an unforced error at this point.

theflyingorc posted:

If you could describe in more detail where I am in error I'm willing to consider being in error. I don't think it's dumb to think peace officers shouldn't be carrying lethal force at their own discretion by default, they are agents of the state and everyone should be treated equally. Discretion leads to body cameras "falling off".

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 8, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Karl Sharks posted:

i mean i get the rational reason why you would show both, to show both sides of someone maybe? i would hope some would do it to show how he's separate from BLM and is involved in more extreme black power/nationalist type groups, but gently caress idk

A black person does not need to be involved in extremist movements to own a dashiki. gently caress off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

American is exceptional in this way of course.

If we have to split the difference I'd rather patrolmen be unarmed and you can have special SWAT teams or whatever for emergencies or when you want to troll a streamer.

Paul MaudDib posted:

A black person does not need to be involved in extremist movements to own a dashiki. gently caress off.

No but the art in the context of the story definitely conflates all kinds of black activism with extremism. That may be intentional depending on which news source you see it on.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Webguy posted:

They're still playing the "we can't talk about guns at a time like this" card, though.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/ben-carson-dallas-shooting-obama-225278

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So Seattle PD tweeted (and quickly deleted) a tweet for their fellow boys in blue lost in Dallas last night, which is fine I guess, they're allowed to grieve. But then ended their tweet with #WeShallOvercome, which I think we can all agree is really gross to co-opt.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

American is exceptional in this way of course.
Yes, because we have the second amendment, meaning that it is significantly more likely that the person you are attempting to apprehend has a gun.

If we repeal the second then we can talk about unarmed policemen.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

"occupying police officers"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

theflyingorc posted:

Yes, because we have the second amendment, meaning that it is significantly more likely that the person you are attempting to apprehend has a gun.

As I am a nutjob you can assume that I don't want anyone but the military wielding lethal force. Society should be more civil than that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingorc posted:

The Second Amendment doesn't really have anything to do with policemen (armed or otherwise), unless you're literally trying to get rid of every gun in America.

A policeman has a gun as a part of their job function, not because of their private rights.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So Seattle PD tweeted (and quickly deleted) a tweet for their fellow boys in blue lost in Dallas last night, which is fine I guess, they're allowed to grieve. But then ended their tweet with #WeShallOvercome, which I think we can all agree is really gross to co-opt.

Overcome what? The heat that was being put on them for executing black people?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Happy to repeal the second amendment, myself.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's a goofy half-formed, probably dumb idea, but I think that it'd be interesting to pair police with trained social workers for patrols.

That way, whenever there's a police interaction, there'd be at least one person on the scene who is highly trained and educated.

Give them entirely independent chains of command, it's not necessarily a bad thing if an adversarial relationship forms.

Worst case, it's a jobs program.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"occupying police officers"

BLM protesters and other anti-police/state violence often refer to police as an occupying force in their neighborhoods. Sorry if that wasn't clear to you. I imagine Micah felt the same way being a black veteran and he just used what our military trained him to do when facing the enemy I don't really see how that is 'evil tactics'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

computer parts posted:

The Second Amendment doesn't really have anything to do with policemen (armed or otherwise), unless you're literally trying to get rid of every gun in America.

A policeman has a gun as a part of their job function, not because of their private rights.

Even if the public at large was disarmed it's absolutely inconceivable that cops would be willing to give up (or accept significant barriers to utilizing) their armaments. Cops here have way too much of a warrior mentality compared to someplace like the UK. That's why this post from a day back is so precious.

meristem posted:

It feels like a lot of the US would benefit from mutual disarmament treaties. The locals lose guns, and so do the police.

These are usually done between nations, but considering the sheer numbers of guns in the country...

(This of course was in response to the cops murdering yet another black man in cold blood streamed live on the internet, which despite seeming like ages ago happened a mere day back)

• Locked thread