Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Truecon420 posted:

Alright that helps, thanks. But I was also wondering in general lore what happens after the End Times... is it the Age of Myth, and the Timeline is cyclical? or does it just go on to age of Sigmar?

Nothing happens. The End Times didn't happen. Age of Sigmar doesn't exist. The lore for much of the End Times and everything after it is poo poo and only leads to worse poo poo, painfully bad to the point that it's obvious it was shoved in there for business reasons. Like a compound fracture with the bone sticking out. Even if AoS had fantastic gameplay, the lore is still poo poo. Ignore all of it.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

I've got a quick lore question, is the timeline for this game Cyclical? I know canonically the chaos invasion pretty much succeeded and the old world was destroyed during End Times, but i'm confused as to whether the age of myths, which I thought already occurred, or the age of sigmar comes after.

Here's the warhammer timeline in a nutshell. Old ones are a hyper-advanced race that terraform the world. They did something at the poles that opened portals to hell. The races are a bunch of attempts to bio-engineer a species immune to chaos. Dwarfs and Elves come first and are highly resistant to physical corruption, but dwarfs can't use magic and elves are physically weak assholes. Humans come next, but are vulnerable to physical chaos corruption. The ogres are completely resistant to corruption and can use magic, but are stupid and self-serving. Lizard men were just their servants they abandoned after they left. Then blah blah blah chaos happens things go to poo poo, cue tens of millennia of history with the races of order and chaos fighting until archaeon blows up the world due to bad miniature sales. Then age of Sigmar happens.

So there is a start and a finish. The age of myth, I believe was when the elves and dwarfs were fighting chaos back when chaos was much much stronger and old world humans were bronze-age tribes trying to fight iron-age greenskins.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

rockopete posted:

Nothing happens. The End Times didn't happen. Age of Sigmar doesn't exist. The lore for much of the End Times and everything after it is poo poo and only leads to worse poo poo, painfully bad to the point that it's obvious it was shoved in there for business reasons. Like a compound fracture with the bone sticking out. Even if AoS had fantastic gameplay, the lore is still poo poo. Ignore all of it.

The universe basically says, when you avert the end of days, "it wasn't supposed to go down like this!"

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

The universe basically says, when you avert the end of days, "it wasn't supposed to go down like this!"

Really? I didn't get anything like that from it, just "You won! Peace? Maybe..."

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Old ones are a hyper-advanced race that terraform the world.

Aren't they canonically top-of-their-empire-game Eldar?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ChickenWing posted:

No. The old ones are a separate entity from the Eldar. There used to be more overlap between 40k and fantasy but now the only tangible connection is when some skaven accidentally prank called the 40k universe via copious amounts of warpstone sniffing

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Truecon420 posted:

Alright that helps, thanks. But I was also wondering in general lore what happens after the End Times... is it the Age of Myth, and the Timeline is cyclical? or does it just go on to age of Sigmar?

There isn't an "after the End Times". The name should be a dead giveaway. But to answer the question, yes the lore in Warhammer is cyclical (or to quote Dinotopia, time's a spiral). All the nations of Order and Chaos squabble amongst themselves until some Chaos Champion or Undead Magician or Greenskin Warboss knocks enough heads together to seriously threaten civilization as we know it. Then everyone bands together to stop them and the status quo resumes. It happened to Bel'akor, Asavar Kul, Tamurkhan, Gorbad Ironclaw, and Nagash a couple dozen times on his own. In this game you either play as Not Chaos and add Archaon to that list of posers, or play as Chaos and make sure things stick this time around.

ChickenWing posted:

Nah, if you go by the logic that the Old Ones are the same thing in Fantasy and 40k then they're the ones that made the Eldar first to fight the Necrons.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

unwantedplatypus posted:

So there is a start and a finish. The age of myth, I believe was when the elves and dwarfs were fighting chaos back when chaos was much much stronger and old world humans were bronze-age tribes trying to fight iron-age greenskins.

That's really helpful, thank you! But why does the wiki say that the age of myth followed the End Times?

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=The_End_Times&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

Also why isn't the age of sigmas talked about on most of the wikis

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Triskelli posted:

There isn't an "after the End Times". The name should be a dead giveaway. But to answer the question, yes the lore in Warhammer is cyclical (or to quote Dinotopia, time's a spiral).

Thanks for the help, but I'm an idiot and still don't really get it. Others in this thread have said (and multiple wikis have stated), the age of sigmar followed the end times... When sigmar returned from his hidey hole with some storm tempests dudes or something and there was 8 factions, the ninth being chaos?

Additionally on the wiki page I linked it explicitly says "Warhammer World has ended and the vast majority of its population is dead. The End Times led on to the Age of Myth." which is why I'm even more confused. Did end times lead to nothing, the age of sigmar, or to the age of myth? Sorry for the trouble

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 8, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jesus loving Christ.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Warhammer™ > Warhammer: End times™ > Age of sigmar™™™

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

That's really helpful, thank you! But why does the wiki say that the age of myth followed the End Times?

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=The_End_Times&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

Also why isn't the age of sigmas talked about on most of the wikis

Because I was wrong about the name :v:, apparently. Idk what the age of myth is then.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Yeah guys quit it, if Chomp's friends see him being a nerd he'll get shoved into a locker

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
I think there's a big timeskip between the End Times and the Age of Sigmar. Apparently there were a few ages (including this Age of Myth) in between, presumably so Games Workshop could fit in some new backstory. I don't think there's really any games or much lore or anything between the End Times happening and the Age of Sigmar franchise reboot.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Steamhead Duardin

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I'm very sorry for sidetracking this thread so much. I should have guessed that there was no simple answer

Adeptus posted:

I think there's a big timeskip between the End Times and the Age of Sigmar. Apparently there were a few ages (including this Age of Myth) in between, presumably so Games Workshop could fit in some new backstory. I don't think there's really any games or much lore or anything between the End Times happening and the Age of Sigmar franchise reboot.

But didn't the age of myth also happen before the end times? I can't believe they were so careless with their lore, where's a loving timeline or something

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Truecon420 posted:

I'm very sorry for sidetracking this thread so much. I should have guessed that there was no simple answer

But didn't the age of myth also happen before the end times? I can't believe they were so careless with their lore, where's a loving timeline or something

The Age of Myth and Age of Chaos are both nothing but lore/fluff set between the End Times and Age of Sigmar. It's all about Sigmar finding other survivors after the End Times and fighting Chaos/other people and losing until he finally fucks off and makes the Fantasy Space Marines. It isn't that hard to understand, I got this after a quick google.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Verranicus posted:

The Age of Myth and Age of Chaos are both nothing but lore/fluff set between the End Times and Age of Sigmar. It's all about Sigmar finding other survivors after the End Times and fighting Chaos/other people and losing until he finally fucks off and makes the Fantasy Space Marines. It isn't that hard to understand, I got this after a quick google.

Oh sweet, now it makes sense. Thanks man.

I also just found this which says exactly what you said. I can't believe they rebooted their franchise that hard that all the lore people liked essentially took place such a long time ago it's nearly irrelevant except for a few major characters

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2015/07/news-age-of-sigmar-backstory.html?m=0

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Truecon420 posted:

Oh sweet, now it makes sense. Thanks man.

I also just found this which says exactly what you said. I can't believe they rebooted their franchise that hard that all the lore people liked essentially took place such a long time ago it's nearly irrelevant except for smar major characters

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2015/07/news-age-of-sigmar-backstory.html?m=0

Apparently aside from a fluke tournament that GW pushed really hard it's not making them nearly as much money as they'd hoped either, lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Verranicus posted:

Steamhead Duardin

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Baleful Realmgate™

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
So I see the pictures on the OP of the Checkerboard formation, but could someone post a video of it in action? When I do it the enemies go through the gaps and attack the sides of my warriors and hit my thunderers.

I am obviously doing something wrong.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ClassicFascist posted:

So I see the pictures on the OP of the Checkerboard formation, but could someone post a video of it in action? When I do it the enemies go through the gaps and attack the sides of my warriors and hit my thunderers.

I am obviously doing something wrong.

Most likely, your thunderers are too wide. Your guns can fire in surprisingly deep ranks, so they should be basically squares, while the melee infantry are rectangles. This way, the gaps for your thunderers to shoot through are thinner than your enemy's melee units. Additionally, the thunderers should be at least two unit-depths behind, so that they aren't caught by the enemy's momentum

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
My main concern about this game is how long they are going to make us wait for a reinforcements fix. I would be appalled but not surprised if they waited all the way until the next DLC was ready.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
So assuming that all factions are going to get a third legendary lord eventually; who are the likely choices for Greenskins/Empire/Dwarves (seeing as Vampires already has been discussed)

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Probably won't happen but Malakai Malakaisson as a ranged engineer lord would be cool. His level 25 mount would be an armored blimp that drops bombs.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Most likely, your thunderers are too wide. Your guns can fire in surprisingly deep ranks, so they should be basically squares, while the melee infantry are rectangles. This way, the gaps for your thunderers to shoot through are thinner than your enemy's melee units. Additionally, the thunderers should be at least two unit-depths behind, so that they aren't caught by the enemy's momentum

Ah, thanks! I think you're likely right on all accounts!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kainser posted:

So assuming that all factions are going to get a third legendary lord eventually; who are the likely choices for Greenskins/Empire/Dwarves (seeing as Vampires already has been discussed)

Greenskins I'm hoping for Skarsnik. We definitely need a goblin LL.

Though really they should add squigs first.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Greenskins I'm hoping for Skarsnik. We definitely need a goblin LL.

Though really they should add squigs first.

They already said back in November that the Greenskin LL FLC is going to be Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet, thus giving greenskins a caster LL. I'm sure Skarsnik will get added eventually, but I want my all goblin campaign.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Grom is clearly the superior goblin legendary lord candidate.

That said, yeah, we know it's gonna be Wurrzag.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

TheChad posted:

Probably won't happen but Malakai Malakaisson as a ranged engineer lord would be cool. His level 25 mount would be an armored blimp that drops bombs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did get a ranged lord as their 3rd LL, its the clearly unique option and the Dwarves have a couple to choose from IIRC.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TheChad posted:

Makaisson is awesome and would be great if they included him at some point, but there's probably more relevant character in dwarf fluff. Loved Malakai's introduction in the Gotrek & Felix novels, when he heards his name Gotrek goes apeshit : " Malakai Makaisson! The maniac" and Felix just stares and thinks: "Oh my god, if Gotrek, who's a certified nutjob calls this guy a maniac, then must be the craziest dwarf in the world".

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

My bet for Empire is Kurt Helborg, the Reiksmarshal. This is pretty much entirely based around the empire offices screen. At the top is the Emperor, Karl Franz. Second row is the Patriarch (Gelt) and the Reiksmarshal (Unfilled). He could be a Duelist Lord, similar to Sigvald, as he is considered the best swordsman in the Empire. He's got two unique magical items, including one of the Runefangs, and gets a named horse mount. Also, he has the best moustache

The downside is that he wouldn't be all that different from Karl Franz. A more unique character would be Volkmar "Battle Pope" the Grim, a lord-level Warpriest. He'd have the warpriest prayers and buffs on a Lord frame, and may even get an altar as a unique mount if they wanted to be awesome.

If I wanted to go completely impossible wishlist, I'd go for Elspeth von Draken, a Gelt-level Death wizard on a muthafuckin dragon and a bunch of cool magic items

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Angry Lobster posted:

Makaisson is awesome and would be great if they included him at some point, but there's probably more relevant character in dwarf fluff. Loved Malakai's introduction in the Gotrek & Felix novels, when he heards his name Gotrek goes apeshit : " Malakai Makaisson! The maniac" and Felix just stares and thinks: "Oh my god, if Gotrek, who's a certified nutjob calls this guy a maniac, then must be the craziest dwarf in the world".

Speaking of which, why can't modders add hero level units with separate stats/skill trees? All the mods I've seen that add Gotrek/Krell etc add them as a one model unit with no levels/skill trees.

Game will be nuts when you can add every cool minor character from the books/tabletop.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah given that Malakai's idea of a practical piece of field artillery is this steampunk nightmare known as the Goblin Hewer, you know he's got some screws loose.

Anyway the other most unique LL to use among Dwarfs is Thorek Ironbrow, an extremely powerful Runelord that lugs around his personal Anvil of Doom into battle.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My guess for the Dwarfs is Thorek Ironbrow and the mother loving Anvil of Doom. He'd pretty unique being a mostly immobile caster lord and could act like a siege engine of some kind that tosses out buffs and debuffs. Dwarfs don't have lord-level casters anyways.

Edit: Beaten.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Considering the success of using other IPs in the Total War scheme, I am really looking forward to Total War: Pokemon.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Reik posted:

Considering the success of using other IPs in the Total War scheme, I am really looking forward to Total War: Pokemon.

Total War: Lord of the Rings
Total War: Dynasty Warriors (not historical three kingdoms china, full on superpowered hero Dynasty Warriors)
Total War: Dragon Age
Total War: Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance/Eberron
Total War: Exalted
Total War: Age of Mythology
Total War: Warcraft
Total War: Elder Scrolls
Total War: Wheel of Time
Total War: Narnia

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kaza42 posted:

Total War: Lord of the Rings
Total War: Dynasty Warriors (not historical three kingdoms china, full on superpowered hero Dynasty Warriors)
Total War: Dragon Age
Total War: Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance/Eberron
Total War: Exalted
Total War: Age of Mythology
Total War: Warcraft
Total War: Elder Scrolls
Total War: Wheel of Time
Total War: Narnia

No game of thrones? A shameful display!

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like to see some of the minor factions fleshed out a bit so it isn't just a vast chunk of Empire everywhere, Kislev and the various border prince factions have potential to be unique

Probably won't be done officially since they would have to come up with legendary lords and quests, but the modders will come up with something and the more expansions the more resources they'll have to work with.

I know there is a mod for the border princes to turn them into a venice/mercenary army and russians are working on kislev and modders put in the effort to make the bret vampire faction use bret themed zombies and undead without effecting the other undead factions, which is a nice touch they should really do officially.

• Locked thread