Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've said it before, but AMD has released exactly five chips across all market segments since GCN 1.0 in 2012. Bonaire, Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji, and now Polaris 10. They are still actively marketing those ancient GCN 1.0 chips - the 370 is a Pitcairn and Tahiti was only eliminated in the last round.

Their rate of product development has been absolutely abysmal. They're circling the drain and I can't imagine them lasting more than another couple years unless they manage to strike it big with one of the Vega chips.

I wonder why that is, they're a big company, they should have enough resources for good R&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

I...I think that's Fahrenheit, I don't think a 4870X2 could legitimately idle at 90° Celsius unless you attacked it with a hair dryer.

Char posted:

I'll chime in as well - i5-760 & 6870 and I'm getting 20-40 fps as well.

Odd, isn't a i5 760 > PII 955? What's the resolution?

Twerk from Home posted:

Why on earth are 4 year old server CPUs with an original MSRP of $2000 available for $60, but people want ~$150 for even older desktop CPUs that sold for $200 new?

This isn't 100% true, there are still a lot of Xeons that are just as overpriced, it's all about socket and compatibility. If it fits into the standard socket, it usually sits in the same price bracket, because of course.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of the 4870x2, it just occured to me that ATI/AMD basically invented NVlink back in 2008 with their sideport interconnect:

Then, despite having the hardware, did absolutely nothing with it. And now NV is making stupid amounts of money off the same idea in the HPC space :doh:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
They also had/have a compute heavy architecture as well, so it's just baffling all around. Of course, AMD is actively trying to pursue it now but uh, 2008-2010 was definitely the time AMD should have dove on top of GPGPU and HPC.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've said it before, but AMD has released exactly five chips across all market segments since GCN 1.0 in 2012. Bonaire, Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji, and now Polaris 10. They are still actively marketing those ancient GCN 1.0 chips - the 370 is a Pitcairn and Tahiti was only eliminated in the last round.

20nm failure hit them hard (as did betting on 32nm), and if they had enough foresight the 300 series should have been a refresh and update of Bonaire, Pitcairn, Tonga and Hawaii to GCN3 (1.2). Tahiti to Tonga was what, an average of 30-40W saved for normal workloads? Imagine a Hawaii that sucked closer to 225W, or Bonaire more readily competing with the 750ti. AMD is always jumping to the next node instead of ever really refining what they have into something better and they got beat over the head with it.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

FaustianQ posted:

Odd, isn't a i5 760 > PII 955? What's the resolution?

1080p, low details.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just sold my R9 290x for $220 on eBay, and I have my $170 RX 480 arriving on Monday.

Does anyone know where I can find the BIOS and Flash programs for the 8GB XFX model? I need to download more RAM.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
nm

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 8, 2016

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Since I decided to splurge on a nice new 3440x1440 34 in. behemoth and 1080 stock still seems to be loving non-existent I really need to know what the hell I need to do to find one rather than just signing up for auto-notify on all the out of stock models on newegg. I love this new monitor but this poor 980 from last year can barely get 30 FPS on WoW of all things now.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

Just sold my R9 290x for $220 on eBay, and I have my $170 RX 480 arriving on Monday.

Does anyone know where I can find the BIOS and Flash programs for the 8GB XFX model? I need to download more RAM.
Use this to backup your existing bios and also to flash the new bios:
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74

I used the XFX bios from this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-mod-rx480/70

Called XFX-RX480-OC-EDITION1288mhz-8GB-RAM.zip 109k .zip

There is another generic bios here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/184327/amd-rx480-8192-160603-1

After you backup your bios, load one of those and click program in the ATI flash program. Make sure to run it as administrator and reboot when you're done. It's been working great since I flashed it with the XFX one.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Finally fired up a brand new AAA game (Witcher 3) on my 1080p TV to actually make my 1070 work. This is my first gaming PC, coming from PS4.

So this is what I've been missing. JESUS CHRIST this game is pretty.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Since I decided to splurge on a nice new 3440x1440 34 in. behemoth and 1080 stock still seems to be loving non-existent I really need to know what the hell I need to do to find one rather than just signing up for auto-notify on all the out of stock models on newegg. I love this new monitor but this poor 980 from last year can barely get 30 FPS on WoW of all things now.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, they actually pushed out some basic information on the 480 AIBs: http://videocardz.com/62059/asus-msi-gigabyte-powercolor-and-sapphire-custom-radeon-rx-480-pictured

Trip report: they're all using a single 8-pin power connector, and also they all have backplates and poo poo. Some rumors of a 10amp draw off the PCI-E for the XFX card? (I guess spec says don't go beyond 6 amp?) I dunno, the Nitro is pretty.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AndrewP posted:

Finally fired up a brand new AAA game (Witcher 3) on my 1080p TV to actually make my 1070 work. This is my first gaming PC, coming from PS4.

So this is what I've been missing. JESUS CHRIST this game is pretty.
I was playing around a little with Rise of the Tomb Raider on my 1070 with everything on Ultra. The game is very nice looking and getting an average of 101 fps at 1920x1080.

I really need a new monitor.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Where are the RX470 leaks

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Since I bought a new headset I've noticed the sound of my reference cooler on the 1080 I have a little more lately and it's kinda bugging me.

The Arctic site list the Accelero Extreme IV as supporting the 1080 so I'm thinking of picking it up to make the PC a little quieter. Anybody have any word on why this might be a bad idea? I'm not fussed by taking the card apart or anything, it doesn't seem to void the warranty.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 8, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Anybody have any word on why this might be a bad idea?

It's enormous, you'll lose access to the 3 slots below your x16 slot and SLI will be out of the question. But if that's an acceptable loss I don't see why not.

Have you considered an AIO water-cooler adapter? The Kraken G10 supports the 1080FE: https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g10-white

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 8, 2016

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

It's enormous, you'll lose access to the 3 slots below your x16 slot and SLI will be out of the question. But if that's an acceptable loss I don't see why not.

Oh, this sounds alright then. I don't ever plan to SLI anything and I can always keep the reference cooler handy I guess in case I do. I have one of those old monster HAF 932 cases from CM and a full atx mobo so it looks like it should fit.

Edit: No, I haven't considered watercooling. I'm sure it's just as easy as air, but not sure if I want to dive into it.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 8, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Edit: No, I haven't considered watercooling. I'm sure it's just as easy as air, but not sure if I want to dive into it.

AIOs are easy mode. You bolt the cooler onto the GPU, put the shroud over the top of it, and then attach the radiator somewhere (it does need to be above the GPU, you don't want air bubbles in the pump). If you're changing the cooler anyway, apart from having to mount the radiator somewhere it's the same procedure.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 9, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

repiv posted:

Speaking of the 4870x2, it just occured to me that ATI/AMD basically invented NVlink back in 2008 with their sideport interconnect:

Then, despite having the hardware, did absolutely nothing with it. And now NV is making stupid amounts of money off the same idea in the HPC space :doh:

They had the tech, and not only did absolutely nothing with it, it was never turned on for the X2 because they said all it did was add heat. :(

No way it "Idled at 90C", it ran up to 90C though on one of the cores/vrm's easy though if you left the fan profile stock, and with a little extra voltage, could go as high as 130-135C lol.

Went through 3 of those beast though. drat it was fast at the time, but they did like to cook themselves to death.

Also on the old i5/C2Q guys, are your motherboard void of any overclocking abilities? Stock I can see those chips holding you back a lot, but if you can OC them, both chip should be able to get around an extra 1Ghz out of them with a good cooler that should allow Overwatch to run fine.

Another thing you may want to try is turning the scaling down to 50% instead of Auto so it doesn't move up and down a bunch when FPS fluctuates depending on the scene. My old 1st gen i7 720QM laptop with a 5870M runs it fine at 1080P 50% but on auto it goes from 40-60 and you can see the game sort of slow down a bit as the Fps drops, then goes back up as it messes with scaling. :/

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz
Is it still likely to be forever before the 1070's go down to 379? Should I just say F it and grab one for 430ish? I have my oculus rift but my 770 just isn't cutting it. Also, any idea on a fair price to sell the 770 for?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Is it still likely to be forever before the 1070's go down to 379? Should I just say F it and grab one for 430ish? I have my oculus rift but my 770 just isn't cutting it. Also, any idea on a fair price to sell the 770 for?

There's one Gigabyte Windforce that retails for $399 on newegg but it's not been in stock much. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Thanks. Ordered one in less than 5 minutes from what was available.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, I just installed my 1070 and ran Firestrike.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13051621

Does...that seem a little low?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you oc the card you will score like 4500 higher.

With oc this was my result with a similar setup to yours.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/OC3D/status/751531325656489988

lol.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

The results show the core clock really low. Did you confirm that your card is clocking up correctly?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Prescription Combs posted:

The results show the core clock really low. Did you confirm that your card is clocking up correctly?
It reports core clock low. It's just how it is. Mine is reported even lower, and it was at 2124MHz the entire time.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Are the Gigabyte Windforce 1070 cards fine? Have there been any problems with them reported?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gonkish posted:

Holy poo poo, they actually pushed out some basic information on the 480 AIBs: http://videocardz.com/62059/asus-msi-gigabyte-powercolor-and-sapphire-custom-radeon-rx-480-pictured

Trip report: they're all using a single 8-pin power connector, and also they all have backplates and poo poo. Some rumors of a 10amp draw off the PCI-E for the XFX card? (I guess spec says don't go beyond 6 amp?) I dunno, the Nitro is pretty.

And they're all sporting DVI ports.

I suppose that using an AIB cooler means that you don't need the vent holes on the mounting bracket as much but man it seems like we've been teased a DVI-less future for years now..

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also I have been waiting for this

A Desktop 1070 inside a ASUS gaming laptop sounds like a pretty sweet deal. ~980Ti performance on the go would make portable VR setups and demos a lot easier for sure, and with a 1080P screen still, not like you will have any trouble playing anything for the next few years on it at max settings.

Though the temptation to wait for a desktop 1080 is there too... Grrr

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wish that MSI Afterburner was set by actual clock speeds and not offsets. The last time I OC'd any cards was back in the 6870 days. I'll see if I can figure out this brave new world with GPU boosts and whatnot. Is Afterburner still the program to use?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like AMD is getting ready to do that thing where they stick chips together into one big chip: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/amd-accidentally-lists-radeon-rx-490-on-website/

I know the 480 isn't exactly wowing people, but if they can put two together, lower the clocks/volts so they're not in crazy power-chug mode, and get them to act like crossfire without the crossfire hassles, the 490 could be a hit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

AIOs are easy mode. You bolt the cooler onto the GPU, put the shroud over the top of it, and then attach the radiator somewhere (it does need to be above the GPU, you don't want air bubbles in the pump). If you're changing the cooler anyway, it's really no different apart from having to mount the radiator.

Absolutely this - water cooling has come a long way from the DIY kit days. If I had room in my case I'd get a little 120 CLC for my card, they're ludicrously easy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero VGS posted:

Looks like AMD is getting ready to do that thing where they stick chips together into one big chip: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/amd-accidentally-lists-radeon-rx-490-on-website/

I know the 480 isn't exactly wowing people, but if they can put two together, lower the clocks/volts so they're not in crazy power-chug mode, and get them to act like crossfire without the crossfire hassles, the 490 could be a hit.

I hate to say it, but that is a lot of ifs, especially the part about getting the chips to work together without crossfire related problems.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zero VGS posted:

How are 2 480s going to compare to a GTX 1070 though? I can't see 2x480 coming in under $400, in which case it's a direct comparison.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I hate to say it, but that is a lot of ifs, especially the part about getting the chips to work together without crossfire related problems.

Yeah, don't know how it would work otherwise. "If AMD could act completely differently than they've shown in the past and has magic GPU doubling tech, they could really have something here!"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

No, this came up a few pages ago, I didn't realize at the time either but the only score you should look at is the graphics score. The finally score involves physics in two of the three scores which completely depends on your cpu, and you cpu isn't going to remotely compare to test bench cpus in terms of raw physics computing power. Your graphics score is close or exactly in line with what it should be.

Unfortunately finding score breakdowns is much less common. The score you see in those graphs are only good relative to each other, assuming they always use scores from the same test setup. Might explain why old card scores will be dropped from those lists if the CPU changed rather than being just "too old", I think people wouldn't mind knowing just how much faster a 1070 is to a 470 or something :v: but the scores would be useless

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Twerk from Home posted:

How are 2 480s going to compare to a GTX 1070 though? I can't see 2x480 coming in under $400, in which case it's a direct comparison.

Crossfire 480's are on average slightly faster than the 1070 in games that support CF. But there's a lot of variance there, there are some games with really good CF scaling where the 480's zoom past even a 1080. There's also games with mediocre scaling where a 1070 is as fast or faster. Of course, you also have to take in account the games that have no CF scaling at all.

A RX 490, if it is a dual GPU chip, won't act differently than any other previous multi-GPU solution, it'll have all the same problems previous dual GPU cards had. I can't imagine wanting it over a 1070.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I already wasted my meltdown, if the 490 is actually two 480's on one board im out of words. Even if it were somehow magically just twice the cost of a 480, it sucks. If it costs more (Which it always has sometimes by an insane %) then I mean...

(was reading this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

2x 480 isn't better than a 1080? Are you calling #Roy #Taylor a liar? :colbert:

https://twitter.com/Roy_techhwood/status/750538545434136576