Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Safety Factor posted:

My guess for the Dwarfs is Thorek Ironbrow and the mother loving Anvil of Doom. He'd pretty unique being a mostly immobile caster lord and could act like a siege engine of some kind that tosses out buffs and debuffs. Dwarfs don't have lord-level casters anyways.

Edit: Beaten.

This would be very acceptable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Klaus88 posted:

No game of thrones? A shameful display!

:frogout:

Eh, it would be cool at first but your generals would keep dying every turn so I figured it'd be too frustrating

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
STEAMHEAD DUARDIN

AELVES!!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So I assume they're padding out their dlc by saying a new hero as well as lore of magic, because most likely those things are one in the same. Will it be Life or Beasts first? I pean towards Life, as the latter would potentially require reskinning or creating new animal models.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Aurubin posted:

So I assume they're padding out their dlc by saying a new hero as well as lore of magic, because most likely those things are one in the same. Will it be Life or Beasts first? I pean towards Life, as the latter would potentially require reskinning or creating new animal models.

Probably Shadow first. Nobody uses Beasts, and Life would really only benefit the Empire whereas Chaos, Vampires and Empire all use Shadow

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Don't suppose there is a way to respec your lords yet? A mod or something, didn't find anything on the steam workshop.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Probably Shadow first. Nobody uses Beasts, and Life would really only benefit the Empire whereas Chaos, Vampires and Empire all use Shadow

Depends on their DLC schedule I think, the current races might not use Beasts or Life but the predicted DLC factions (Beastmen, Wood Elves, Bretts) do.

Pretty much all depends on what the next DLC ends up being.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Oops forgot about shadow. I figured they were just making one new battlemage and not expanding the lores to the others. Guess that would be imbalanced.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Verranicus posted:

STEAMHEAD DUARDIN

AELVES!!

ORRUKS.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

Depends on their DLC schedule I think, the current races might not use Beasts or Life but the predicted DLC factions (Beastmen, Wood Elves, Bretts) do.

Pretty much all depends on what the next DLC ends up being.

The Empire has access to all the Eight Lores (Fire, Metal, Death, Shadow, Life, Beasts, Heavens, Celestial). Hopefully Shadow gets squeezed in at some point between major DLC, but I imagine the Beastmen/Wood Elves/Brettonia pack will include the lores of Life, Beasts, and "the Wilds" as a unique lore to Beastmen.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Wow, Greatswords are actually way more effective than I thought at their niche, killing heavy infantry. I'd assumed they were closer to Grave Guard in power, but Greatswords beat halberd Chosen, regular Chosen, Black Orcs, Hammerers, Ironbreakers, and both varieties of Big'Uns - though they'll narrowly lose to Chosen with great weapons. I think in my first game using Greatswords they got massacred by archers instantly and I never bothered training more v:shobon:v

I noticed Grave Guard with great weapons get the same +10 bonus against infantry that makes Greatswords punch above their weight, maybe I should give them another chance too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

All Grave Guard get the bonus vs infantry.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

Eh, it would be cool at first but your generals would keep dying every turn so I figured it'd be too frustrating

Not if they're all Mace "The Ace" Tyrell with his super badass armor and awesome facial hair. He'd be too confused or too busy giving terrible speeches to uninterested soldiers to be killed.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gonkish posted:

Not if they're all Mace "The Ace" Tyrell with his super badass armor and awesome facial hair. He'd be too confused or too busy giving terrible speeches to uninterested soldiers to be killed.

Sweet Summer child...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Dear Karak-Kadrin. Why does every Dwarf Faction hate you?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Klaus88 posted:

I'd much prefer Malazan over GOT.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mordja posted:

Malazan isn't that kind of universe, the biggest baddest empire is barely able to conquer city-states.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

There is no manual or UI. You have to figure out what your troops are and who you're fighting from incidental clues.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I have an Orc shaman in my greenskin campaign who picked up the "serial danca'" trait which gives obedience + 3 in the local province. Description: " You can't keep a good 'danca' down, especially when those drums start bangin'!"

His full title is Azdrag da Grand Shambla'

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

I have an Orc shaman in my greenskin campaign who picked up the "serial danca'" trait which gives obedience + 3 in the local province. Description: " You can't keep a good 'danca' down, especially when those drums start bangin'!"

His full title is Azdrag da Grand Shambla'

I feel as though my orc game is now naught but an empty shell.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Sweet Summer child...

Well I mean obviously he has to have a weakness and uhhh.... yeah... :smith:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Brackets for the tournament are out now:

Bracket 1:

420gankmid AKA Choomander in Kief Vs. Kaza
Empire: ------------------------------------------------Greenskins
Dwarves: ---------------------------------------------Vampire Counts
VC: -----------------------------------------------------Empire
Brettonia: --------------------------------------------Dwarfs
Greenskins------------------------------------------Chaos

Bracket 2:

Sammvt AKA Truujilo vs. Zearoth K.
Empire-------------------------Dwarfs
Vampires--------------------- Empire
Dwarves---------------------- Greenskins
Chaos--------------------------Vampire Counts
Greenskins-------------------Chaos

Bracket 3:

Chomp---------------vs.Guderian AKA Rokopete
Chaos----------------Vampire Counts
Empire---------------Dwarfs
Brettonia------------Empire
Orcs------------------Orcs
Vampire Counts--Chaos

Bracket 4:

Doctor Crime AKA Obstacle2 vs. The Internet Janitor AKA Carnalfex
Empire, -----------------------------vamps
Greenskins------------------------empire
Vampire Counts------------------greenskins
Warriors of Chaos--------------dwarves
Dwarves---------------------------chaos

Please tell me if there are any corrections that need to be made. I'm not going to be too picky about when you complete these, but do try to organize yourselves at a reasonable time. Just in case, I'd prefer if both players sent me all replays as well as mentioning the results.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 9, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

Greenskins are really hurting for armor piercing damage early. Dwarf infantry have a floor somewhere around 60-80 armor (bar slayers) and plenty are in triple digits, half of them hold shields to boot. Goblin archers (even the higher tier ones) do a grand total of ~1 armor piercing damage and orc arrer boyz aren't much better. On harder difficulties AI dwarfs will fight to the last man every time so your archers (especially mounted archers) will run out of ammunition before making a significant dent in their numbers and then be unable to shock the dwarves into routing. Boar Boyz will at least be able to chop them up a bit and has enough mass to knock down those dwarf axe lords that are so nearly invincible early on

I actually hosed up the Dwarves really early and killed Ungrim and Thorgrim with Grimgor and my boys. The battle I was complaining about was against Chaos, and I just had another instant-rout against the Empire, where my general ended up surrounded by halberdiers and Big Uns broke after about 15-20 seconds of fighting. Goblin Fanatics broke with them, leaving my general and spiders killing hundreds of dudes before tucking tale and running.

I think this is a harder difficulty glitch "feature", because I can't figure it out otherwise. I mean it was Big Uns versus halberds and great swords, and unless I'm missing something neither of those units cause fear/terror. To make matters worse the Empire was on march so they were tired, and I had 2 rock lobbas murdering their lines as they marched toward me.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Rand alPaul posted:

I actually hosed up the Dwarves really early and killed Ungrim and Thorgrim with Grimgor and my boys. The battle I was complaining about was against Chaos, and I just had another instant-rout against the Empire, where my general ended up surrounded by halberdiers and Big Uns broke after about 15-20 seconds of fighting. Goblin Fanatics broke with them, leaving my general and spiders killing hundreds of dudes before tucking tale and running.

I think this is a harder difficulty glitch "feature", because I can't figure it out otherwise. I mean it was Big Uns versus halberds and great swords, and unless I'm missing something neither of those units cause fear/terror. To make matters worse the Empire was on march so they were tired, and I had 2 rock lobbas murdering their lines as they marched toward me.

If this is in the campaign there is a banner that generals can assign to a unit to give them fear/terror

Also, what does your combat line look like? It matters a lot whether your army is holding a tight line/sparse and spread or if any units are being attacked from their flanks how quickly they rout

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Imagine a unit of sappers with cussers. :getin:

There is a Malazan Dominions 4 mod somewhere. That's a fitting game for that setting if there ever was one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rand alPaul posted:

You can mouse over the morale bar over an unit to see what leadership factors are affecting it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Could it have been army losses? Had you already lost a bunch of other units?

\/ Are they hard-pressed by enemies? They might be allying in the hope you'll help them out.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 9, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Diplomacy seems to be acting strangely in my current dwarf campaign. Almost all factions are much more likely to accept alliances than they are to accept non-aggression pacts.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Lone Badger posted:

Could it have been army losses? Had you already lost a bunch of other units?

\/ Are they hard-pressed by enemies? They might be allying in the hope you'll help them out.

Basically every human and dwarf faction that I had NAPs with told me to gently caress off about 2 turns before the big chaos invasion (even though I was on neutral at worse ratings with them). I started feeding money to the empire and border princes so I could deal with the savage orcs and noticed that eventually both were 'yellow' for trade agreements and every form of alliance, but still 'red' for NAP. I had to keep feeding them money and eventually they signed the NAP when it was 'yellow' (and the rest were green). The empire actually accepted a trade agreement on a turn and then rejected a NAP.

A few turns later I decided to take advantage of the 'shield of humanity' buff and sign some more deals with the other human and dwarf factions and they were all the same way. Some of them are hard pressed by enemies (chaos is rocking the empire), but a few of them don't appear to be under attack from anyone. It almost appears as if my game is set for NAPs to be harder to sign than alliances for everyone.

Most of these factions I've had little to no contact with besides maybe running a hero by one of their armies for a quest.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
IIRC the patch notes said that the AI would accept alliances easier, I guess they forgot to lower the requirements for NAP's as well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp, 245 turns in, I am pretty satisfied with the way this game has gone, Karak-Kadin and the Dwarves are my vassals (with No and 1 Province each.) the Dwarves were hilarious, as they (and everyone else) declared war on Karak-Kadin, and then I just immediatly signed a peace treaty with them (Methinks they remembered the 8000 Gold I lent them) and then Vassalized them.

I've wiped out the Greenskins, all Chaos Forces, Bret's consolidated (though they are at war with Karak-Kadin, wish there was an option to request peace) and Tileas is still around. I guess I could stomp them out but eh.

The Old World is safe.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Haha I just had grimgors starting unit of black orcs get routed by 2 AI goblin spearmen units in a head on fight on VH/H. There is definitely something off with greenskins man. The auto calc says I'll lose 50 men in a battle, play it and my units just loving melt.

And I'm not doing stupid poo poo like charging uphill in the face of quarreler + artillery fire to a set unit of iron breakers. I'm talking about 1 on 1 fights with identical units taking casualties beyond the AIs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TheChad posted:

IIRC the patch notes said that the AI would accept alliances easier, I guess they forgot to lower the requirements for NAP's as well.

That would make a lot of sense. Has anyone else noticed this?

sg54
May 9, 2012
I finished my Grimgor smash campaigned and switched back to my Empire campaign. My Empire campaign is prior to the Chaos rush, but I'm finding it easier to ally with other factions then NAP. I just assumed I was messing something up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Could be interesting. TW:W opened up a lot of possibilities as far as fantasy goes for things like powerful single units or magical stuff. It might be better to set ib eras before Fire and Ice. There could be neat campaign map ideas like seasonal changes or making sure bodies are burned to keep them from becoming undead.

Mostly I want Battle of the Bastards corpse piles :black101:.

I have a feeling SEGA probably poked CA with the "hey can you do WW1 hey hey" stick at least once since the BF1 trailer (and no, I don't think it'd work).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Something like Crusader Kings would lend itself to GoT much much better than Total War. There's only so many 'guy with sword/bow/horse' combos, especially in a setting that's mostly homogenous.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

Haha I just had grimgors starting unit of black orcs get routed by 2 AI goblin spearmen units in a head on fight on VH/H. There is definitely something off with greenskins man. The auto calc says I'll lose 50 men in a battle, play it and my units just loving melt.

And I'm not doing stupid poo poo like charging uphill in the face of quarreler + artillery fire to a set unit of iron breakers. I'm talking about 1 on 1 fights with identical units taking casualties beyond the AIs.

Well on those difficulty levels the AI gets substantial bonuses to their morale and all stats and you get debuffs to your morale, so that even elite units will route quickly when surrounded. Hover your mouse over your leadership bar next battle to see all how its effecting you.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Something like Crusader Kings would lend itself to GoT much much better than Total War. There's only so many 'guy with sword/bow/horse' combos, especially in a setting that's mostly homogenous.

IDK Medieval 1/2 were fine. The North, Dorne, Wildlings and Iron Islands would all work pretty well without needing to expend too much effort on pulling things out of thin air, and Essos has mongols and hoplites and the slaver city-states would have a lot of weird and stupid units to use

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There is a GoT mod for CK2, it's pretty good. Much better game for capturing all the scheming of the setting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

A TW:GoT set during the Boratheon rebellion up through the Song of Ice and Fire series would be objectively cool.

• Locked thread