Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wolrah posted:

IIRC the problem in that case was that they kept releasing the brake. Rather than holding it to get to a stop they were apparently doing only enough to not hit traffic.

One single stop from any speed is not going to cause a remotely functional braking system to overheat in a normal passenger car, but that driver basically simulated the reason runaway truck ramps exist.
Close. You're right about the input issue, but the reason it caused a crash is that the brake booster was not capable of boosting after the first brake effort - at WOT, there's no vacuum to recharge it. So they didn't overheat, but they provided a small portion of the effort that they normally would have because they were effectively unpowered.

I remember when this first happened trying it in my Miata, and being amazed that no one ever mentions that to anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

This is why we shouldn't call it an emergency brake:

http://i.imgur.com/J8DtF4X.gifv

(apparently the driver's GF didn't want him to race the bikes so she cranked the parking brake)

Also why I'm glad I have a foot-operated e-brake versus the pull handle. I'd love to see the aftermath of this dude and his now presumably ex girlfriend, that's a ballsy move to pull the e-brake at freeway speeds.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Krakkles posted:

Close. You're right about the input issue, but the reason it caused a crash is that the brake booster was not capable of boosting after the first brake effort - at WOT, there's no vacuum to recharge it. So they didn't overheat, but they provided a small portion of the effort that they normally would have because they were effectively unpowered.
That makes sense and yea, would be even easier than overheating them (and could potentially lead to overheating if they were now effectively lightly riding the brakes).

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Also why I'm glad I have a foot-operated e-brake versus the pull handle. I'd love to see the aftermath of this dude and his now presumably ex girlfriend, that's a ballsy move to pull the e-brake at freeway speeds.
My '03 Ranger had a foot-operated parking brake and a manual transmission. The pedal spacing would have made it hard to have a problem, but I could see someone panicing with their foot in the "dead pedal" area and hitting the wrong one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

My '03 Ranger had a foot-operated parking brake and a manual transmission. The pedal spacing would have made it hard to have a problem, but I could see someone panicing with their foot in the "dead pedal" area and hitting the wrong one.

Could do what they did in the 80s/90s where the parking brake was tucked up close to the dash and you had to lift your knee up to the middle of the steering wheel to get your toes on it. :v:

And then the release was a pull you had to tug with your hand.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's how my MJs are and it's the most obnoxious thing. Give me a handbrake any day please.

Also they are known for having the ratchet mechanism fail and randomly releasing and only came on MJs so they're impossible to find a replacement for. gently caress that. If mine fails again I'll put an XJ one in and forget about it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Could do what they did in the 80s/90s where the parking brake was tucked up close to the dash and you had to lift your knee up to the middle of the steering wheel to get your toes on it. :v:

And then the release was a pull you had to tug with your hand.

And then it's adjusted badly and breaks your knuckles.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You're supposed to have your foot on it to let it up slowly :ssh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not when I have to knee the windshield, Cadillac :colbert:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Any time a RV with a trailer is near me on the road I get paranoid about stuff like this happening. A few years back I saw a motorcycle trailer let go, but it went off into the woods instead of into traffic.

Industrial-sized grill smashes into car, killing teen

Witnesses told investigators the grill, described as being similar to "a pig cooker" by Macedon Police Chief John Colella, began swaying back and forth before it broke loose from the RV and soared into oncoming traffic, smashing into the car carrying Jones and Krebbeks, TWC News reported. The grill became unstable after the camper hit a pair of bumps, Colella told WHAM.

https://twitter.com/13WHAM/status/749682875411341313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Banish all RVs from the road, IMO.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It genuinely horrifies me that just anyone can buy a 40 foot RV and drive it home with no additional testing or training whatsoever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Emergency brake update:

Not a girlfriend, just a drunk.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

It genuinely horrifies me that just anyone can buy a 40 foot RV and drive it home with no additional testing or training whatsoever.

Based on the article this was basically a homemade trailer that failed. The fact that any yahoo can weld something up and drag it behind a vehicle doing 60mph without any sort of inspection process is pretty scary. The tongue was apparently still attached to the truck. The safety chains (which I'm shocked were used) also failed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://i.imgur.com/zgEyWYC.mp4

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

:captainpop:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

Based on the article this was basically a homemade trailer that failed.

Don't trailers have to be licensed? How did that get a license?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

Depends where you are, I think.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

You generally just go to a DMV inspection station and get it signed off on.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reddit had fun with that one yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/I0HRK44.gifv

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
The back wheels on the car are locking up. Maybe he was trying to drift it? Either way the handbrake was the cause. Plus Beer, that helps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know if you hit the limiter on a downshift you can chirp the tires pretty good, but it doesn't actually stop them from spinning does it?

It's the only other option I can think of for locking the rears and intuitively I would think the wheels still spin (just not fast enough for vehicle speed) but I've never actually seen it done from outside the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I know if you hit the limiter on a downshift you can chirp the tires pretty good, but it doesn't actually stop them from spinning does it?

It's the only other option I can think of for locking the rears and intuitively I would think the wheels still spin (just not fast enough for vehicle speed) but I've never actually seen it done from outside the car.

You can definitely spin a car on ice if you lock 'em while loving up a shift, but it's more of a chassis shock than anything else.

Not sure if a moneyshift could do that, and I'd also guess that car (whatever it is, it's kinda blurry, Jetta?) is FWD.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Would putting it in park do that or just grenade something in the drive train?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I honestly don't know if park on an automatic engages at speed.

I had always thought it did, but on one episode of the mythbusters, Tory tried to stop an auto doing exactly that and it just rolled along in neutral.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I doubt it will. Once upon a time when I was younger and dumber, I accidentally engaged Reverse at speed. Didn't seem to have any ill effect, I assume the computer put it in Neutral.

e: On-topic, I heard it said somewhere that the girlfriend pulled the handbrake to try and stop her significant other from racing, or something like that.

e2: I really need to learn to read up sometime.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 7, 2016

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

N is for Nipples posted:

I doubt it will. Once upon a time when I was younger and dumber, I accidentally engaged Reverse at speed. Didn't seem to have any ill effect, I assume the computer put it in Neutral.

I did the same thing once many years ago when I was a teenager. I was driving a 1984 prelude way too fast on the highway and the engine died. I tried to restart it but it was in drive, I figured I could throw it into neutral and restart the engine but stupid me threw it directly into park (past reverse). It made a god awful noise but it didn't slow down or lock up the wheels. I yanked it back into neutral and was able to restart the car all while coasting at highway speeds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The park pawl will usually bounce off the slots in the output shaft/drum and just make a noise like a paper shredder trying to eat barbed wire if you're going like >10mph, maybe slower or faster on some cars. Under that it'll either manage to drop into a slot and get ripped off, or do other serious drivetrain damage.

Also, yeah, on a FWD car, the only way you're locking the rear brakes up is with the brake pedal or e-brake. Probably the e-brake unless there's a hydraulic leak or all 4 lock up.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

The park pawl will usually bounce off the slots in the output shaft/drum and just make a noise like a paper shredder trying to eat barbed wire if you're going like >10mph, maybe slower or faster on some cars. Under that it'll either manage to drop into a slot and get ripped off, or do other serious drivetrain damage.

Also, yeah, on a FWD car, the only way you're locking the rear brakes up is with the brake pedal or e-brake. Probably the e-brake unless there's a hydraulic leak or all 4 lock up.

What loser keeps buying you those avatars kastein

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Javid posted:

Hell, it horrifies me that people can jump from a little compact car to a giant gently caress-off SUV and don't ever do any testing/training for the differences. I honestly wish it was mandatory to retake the driving test and at least go through some basic maneuvering when someone goes from having a tiny Honda Civic to something the size of a Chevy Tahoe. Too many clueless morons that don't understand the difference in size, control, center of gravity, or other poo poo that actually matters when operating a vehicle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least we're nearing a point where it won't matter anymore.. self driving cars are coming and most of us will live to see them be the dominant form of transportation (assuming we don't get killed by someone texting at highway speeds first).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Hell, it horrifies me that people can jump from a little compact car to a giant gently caress-off SUV and don't ever do any testing/training for the differences. I honestly wish it was mandatory to retake the driving test and at least go through some basic maneuvering when someone goes from having a tiny Honda Civic to something the size of a Chevy Tahoe. Too many clueless morons that don't understand the difference in size, control, center of gravity, or other poo poo that actually matters when operating a vehicle.

I learned to drive in a crew-cab 454-powered Chevy with a loose steering rack and immense tires so imagine how happy I was when I drove my first Geo Metro.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I learned to drive in a crew-cab 454-powered Chevy with a loose steering rack and immense tires so imagine how happy I was when I drove my first Geo Metro.
I did the same, learned to drive in a crew-cab F150 and then took my test in a Buick Regal. It felt like cheating it was so easy to position that car.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

the driving test [...] difference in size, control, center of gravity, or other poo poo that actually matters when operating a vehicle.

Are you implying that any of that poo poo is tested by the driver's license test? Maybe size, in that you have to sort of know where the right side of the vehicle is, but certainly not the others.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

No free candy today

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

No free candy today

You can get in and out before it blows.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Ozmiander posted:

You can get in and out before it blows.

Before what blows? :pedo:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Karma Monkey posted:

Before what blows? :pedo:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Revol posted:

I live in Tampa. Our Pokemon Go coverage seems pretty healthy. The small apartment complex I live in has both a Pokestop and a gym, which is cool.

While driving down Dale Mabry Thursday morning, I was keeping an eye out for Pokestops. I have a dashmount for my phone, so it's not like I'm holding it while driving. Just a quick flick and I get some Pokeballs during my commute. Wouldn't bother trying to catch anything. Anyways, we've got this Pokestop in town.

:suicide:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As concerned with safety as Nintendo is, you'd think that while they're using the gps they'd interpolate how fast the user is moving and disable the app if it looks like they're in a car.