Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

My Lovely Horse posted:

No. It's "when you roll the maximum result..." and you don't make a damage roll on a crit. The crit extra damage doesn't count as a weapon damage die either.

Unless it's a high crit weapon, which gets additional [w] per tier. Of course, by the time you get the feat to make your Gouge a high crit weapon, you're probably looking at a Jagged Weapon as your enchantment for the general expanded range. Otherwise your other high crit options are big swingy d12's like the Execution Axe or Full blade. But the Brutal property on those 2d6 means your max damage should come up regularly with all the potential rerolling.

I assume High Crit dice are rolled and not maximized, right?

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Pretty sure they're rolled. I was thinking about using a falchion for heroic before the +1 average damage and high W powers are really online in order to save a feat.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Any dice you roll extra specifically because you rolled a crit do not get maximized. Any dice you would have rolled regardless (Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, etc.) do get maximized.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yep, they're rolled. Apart from everything else, the Rules Compendium specifically lists high crit extra dice as dice that don't get maximized. Nice catch!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

The final adventure of Zeitgeist has just dropped. So say what you will about ENworld - I have, and probably will in the future - they've produced a complete, awesome adventure path for 4e, finishing it up even after the end of the edition. That's a goddamn class act, right there. It's also the only series of adventures I've seen which really shows off 4e's best sides.

So yeah. In case you were on the fence about buying it, it's complete and well worth the money. For a tabletop group, I'd say it's 2-3 years' worth of excellent gaming.

I'm midway through Adventure 9 right now, and I want to get to the end but also don't want it to end because I'm not 100% sure where I'll find adventures of similar quality.

Do you have any tips and suggestions for someone running Zeitgeist? Asking for a friend.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm in adventure 4, so grain of salt but:

There are lots of NPCS: they provide face cards so print them out and hand them out.

There is lots of foreshadowing so read ahead and incorporate the themes

You want a whiteboard or cork board at the table to.let the PCS do the police board thing - particularly in adventure 2 but also in adventure 4.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

If I know 4e well, how easy is it to pick up Gamma World 4e?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Klungar posted:

It's pretty much straight 4E, just with different "classes" (and less balance as a result, and also it's weirdly lethal).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

Do you have any tips and suggestions for someone running Zeitgeist? Asking for a friend.
The stuff Cthulhu Dreams said is all true.

Other bits of advice...

(1) The maps are gigantic. If you are playing VTT, it's all good. If not, you either need a big table, or you will need to improvise a bit. I usually print out the combat maps using the Adobe Acrobat poster printing functions.
(2) Naval combat is a little jacked. They tried to make one set of rules for both 4e and PF. It works better for 4e, ironically, but it's also a cumbersome subsystem to learn. If your players get into it, by all means let them enjoy it. If they are not digging it, don't force it. Turn naval combat into either narrated intervals or a series of skill challenges combined with combat. I made a cheat sheet for it, because seriously.
(3) Try to keep the PCs alive. The whole path works a lot better if you have at least a few characters from the start of the campaign. Like, there's stuff in Adventure 8 that assumes it's the same people as from Adventure 2.
(4) Use the big compilations whenever possible. They are better-proofread than the individual adventures. ENWorld has a thread for additional comments and suggestions.
(5) Making Flint feel like a real place will be incredibly rewarding. It's key in several adventures. I know 2, 3, 5, and 9 at least.
(5a) While it's tough to make distant places like Slate and Shale seem real, try and stress the history of the kings and fey titans and the country's key conflicts between the old faith and the march of progress. Curses related to the Titans will pay off.
(6) Stover Delft is a good boss. Run him like a good boss. The King is a good King. The party should start out loyal to Risur and the RHC, and you need to present both of them as worthy of their respect, at least at first.
(7) The Zeitgeist themes are rad, by and large. Encourage your players to take them. I dangled a carrot - if they took one, they got 1 extra build point for stats. It's not much, but it was enough. It will help out with a lot of adventures.
(8) Enemy talk. The Obscurati are really nuanced bad guys whose leadership honestly believe they are making a better world. Understanding their motivations will also reap dividends, but it's also important to push how ... problematic ... their plans and methods really are, in the end.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Just flat out ban non Zeitgeist themes. There is to much material for them, particularly the vengeful weirdo elven cultists to waste it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Just flat out ban non Zeitgeist themes. There is to much material for them, particularly the vengeful weirdo elven cultists to waste it.
Yeah, I like carrot instead of stick, but this can work too. :) I just figured in the end, I'd be flexible if one of my players wanted to take something like Master Infiltrator or something investigation-oriented. I think we also kind of need a Clergy and an Executore (from Ber) theme.

BTW - I have a zeitgeist.part file that has the minimal basics of Zeitgeist 4e if you're using CBLoader. I didn't code it myself, otherwise I would have updated it more, but it at least has theme names, level 1 theme powers, firearms, and stuff like firearm expertise and wording changes on some other feats that include firearms with crossbows. It does not have paragon paths or higher level theme features.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Klungar posted:

A lot will look familiar, except it is (as noted) more lethal, since character generation is so easy. There is some streamlining of 4e overall, in terms of weapon types and feats.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I like carrot instead of stick, but this can work too. :) I just figured in the end, I'd be flexible if one of my players wanted to take something like Master Infiltrator or something investigation-oriented. I think we also kind of need a Clergy and an Executore (from Ber) theme.

BTW - I have a zeitgeist.part file that has the minimal basics of Zeitgeist 4e if you're using CBLoader. I didn't code it myself, otherwise I would have updated it more, but it at least has theme names, level 1 theme powers, firearms, and stuff like firearm expertise and wording changes on some other feats that include firearms with crossbows. It does not have paragon paths or higher level theme features.

As someone who's playing through the AP (and very much not reading any of these spoilers) I would've killed for a Clergy theme. My heretical priestess ended up going Dockers, which has sorta worked, but a Clergy theme would've fit a lot better, I think.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

As someone who's playing through the AP (and very much not reading any of these spoilers) I would've killed for a Clergy theme. My heretical priestess ended up going Dockers, which has sorta worked, but a Clergy theme would've fit a lot better, I think.
I thought of you guys when I put all that in spoiler tags. :) None of them are too crazy-spoilery but the whole journey of discovery and the slow reveal of secrets is just so awesome.

I tried to come up with a Clergy theme, but it didn't work out so well. There are some baseline ones that could work, but really there should be one that better fits the Clergy philosophy of finding the divinity within yourself.

I had an executore dola liberta or whatever they are called in my own game, and I would have killed for a theme there, too. It worked out - Gunslinger fit that character just fine - but it's such a cool concept that I have to imagine other players would want to try it out.

OH! Another 2 pieces of advice for Zeitgeist! No spoilers here.

(9) Guns are in a weird spot. I personally wanted them to see more use, so I made a rule that basic attacks with firearms get to match your best attack bonuses, modified only for proficiency. This led to the fire-pistol-and-drop style I was looking for, and I was really happy with it. Also, there's no class in the entirety of 4e which can do a drat thing with 2 pistols. If you reskin "2 pistols, john woo flying sideways through the air style" as identical to a Musket (+3 proficiency, 1d10 brutal 2 high crit), you can preserve game balance and style at the same time.
(10) On the other side of the coin, Grenades are also in a weird spot. Do not just use them as Weapons; change them basically into single-use ranged basic attacks. Otherwise you can get bizarre stuff where you're getting huge damage dice and debuff effects in an AoE. Shotguns are kiiiinda jacked, too, so uh ... watch out.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Drow Sniper rogues can do the John Woo pistols thing! But only with a weird combination of feats across multiple books, and only with hand crossbows, so it's not entirely worth it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So yeah this reminds me, someone needs to run Gamma World again. I think it has been years. There just isn't enough Gamma World on the forums.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My happiest gamma world moment was the dm mispronouncing a monster power "wing buffet" like an all you can eat spread rather than as an attack.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

My happiest gamma world moment was the dm mispronouncing a monster power "wing buffet" like an all you can eat spread rather than as an attack.

The paranoia rpg did this (on purpose) with one of their presence characters. The character in question had a high skill in "Marital Arts".

:v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

So yeah this reminds me, someone needs to run Gamma World again. I think it has been years. There just isn't enough Gamma World on the forums.

Be the mutation you want to see in the world.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So my online group is about to take on at least one follower, and I've been thinking of ways to use followers as strikers Ala a suggestion earlier in this thread, and made up a mock card.

Then I started wondering about how that works with interrupts and other little tidbits and, well...

This mess is the solution I'm working with. Any suggestions/feedback?

EDIT: Added a card so there is now an example.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 11, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Moriatti posted:

So my online group is about to take on at least one follower, and I've been thinking of ways to use followers as strikers Ala a suggestion earlier in this thread, and made up a mock card.

Then I started wondering about how that works with interrupts and other little tidbits and, well...

This mess is the solution I'm working with. Any suggestions/feedback?

EDIT: Added a card so there is now an example.

What does Morale do?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

P.d0t posted:

What does Morale do?

It replaces defences for those corner cases where a follower would trigger an interrupt.2513

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So in preparation for another game, I'm trying to compile a short list of every class that can make use of (IE, their class features/powers actually work with) ranged weapons (to specify, ranged, not thrown.) Thus far, I have...

• Artificer (crossbow only)
• Ranger
• Hunter
• Rogue
• Thief (Hand Crossbow or Shortbow only)
• Bard
• Warlord
• Executioner (Blowgun, Shortbow, and Hand Crossbow only)
• Seeker

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 13, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

So in preparation for another game, I'm trying to compile a short list of every class that can make use of (IE, their class features/powers actually work with) ranged weapons (to specify, ranged, not thrown.) Thus far, I have...

• Artificer (crossbow only)
• Ranger
• Hunter
• Rogue
• Thief (Hand Crossbow or Shortbow only)
• Bard
• Warlord

Executioner & Seeker.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Slayer to some degree if you want to play the most one-note class in the game.

Also, doing a hybrid of a paladin or swordmage with something like a warlord or bard would mean you could defend from the backline and plink away with a ranged weapon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
There are ways for clerics and wizards to use bows but it doesn't really do much for them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Monk can use any weapon they are proficient with as an implement, so monk can use any ranged weapon as an implement provided they learn the appropriate proficiency.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Khizan posted:

Monk can use any weapon they are proficient with as an implement, so monk can use any ranged weapon as an implement provided they learn the appropriate proficiency.

Which means you can do Elven monk if you don't want to multiclass to something that can use a bow.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I forgot about monk! Dagger monks throw their dagger as a part of their KUNG FU, and there's a whole PrC devoted to stealth and hand crossbows, which is dumb and bizarre and dumb, because monks + hand crossbows should be the least stealthy thing imaginable and should be 100% gunkata. You can still probably make a gunkata build using it, but come on WotC. Come the gently caress on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Which means you can do Elven monk if you don't want to multiclass to something that can use a bow.

You can also MC monk to get ranged weapliments on any other class, since the monk MC grants you monk implements and monk implements include all proficient weapons.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Khizan posted:

You can also MC monk to get ranged weapliments on any other class, since the monk MC grants you monk implements and monk implements include all proficient weapons.

Actually, no, it doesn't -

Master of the Fist [Multiclass Monk]
Prerequisite: Strength 13 or Dexterity 13
Benefit: You gain training in Athletics or Acrobatics. You also gain the monk’s Unarmed Combatant feature and gain proficiency with ki focuses.

Monastic Disciple [Multiclass Monk]
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in one skill from the monk’s class skills list.
Choose one of the monk’s Flurry of Blows powers. You can use that power once per encounter.
In addition, you can wield ki focuses.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Huh. I am pretty sure my offline builder used the phrase "gain proficiency with monk implements" somewhere.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
It was later clarified/errata'd. Same with Assassin.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Unknown Quantity posted:

There's also some weapons that let you melee at range, such as the Farslayer Weapon (13+, any melee) which lets you make MBAs as a standard action against anything within 5 squares and the Blade of the Eldrtich Knight (15+, heavy blade) which lets you make your standard action melee attacks with a reach of 5. They're more novelty things for certain gimmicks (flying paladins, for instance), but they work.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
A quick question for the thread: the players from my group have made it to level 5, which means it's time for them to get the free feats of Improved Defences and Melee Training. When it says to give them a single expertise feat, does that mean the weapon expertise for the group, which is a single +1 per tier, or the expertise from the Essentials books, which gives the same +1 per tier and a minor benefit?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Essentials feats have the minor benefit so that they're not just a feat tax, which doesn't matter because you're giving them out for free. The only thing that matters is the +1 to hit, which fixes the maths.

I wouldn't even bother giving them a feat, just give them a flat +1 to hit with everything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Torchlighter posted:

A quick question for the thread: the players from my group have made it to level 5, which means it's time for them to get the free feats of Improved Defences and Melee Training. When it says to give them a single expertise feat, does that mean the weapon expertise for the group, which is a single +1 per tier, or the expertise from the Essentials books, which gives the same +1 per tier and a minor benefit?

Technically people only need the [+1 per tier] to keep up with the monster math, so the trade-off is do you get the +1 per tier and have it apply to all weapons, or do you get the +1 only when using one weapon, but with the added effect?

In the games I've run, I've let people choose either or.

You could strictly enforce the generic Weapon Expertise, but that might discourage people from ever taking the specific-weapon Expertise's if the added effect is too weak.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In some cases the bonus on the Expertise feat can be important, in most not so much.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Up to you really.

Some classes do require Versatile Expertise, as it's meant for those with both a weapon and an implement.

Strictly speaking the purpose of the math fix is the +attack that the feats give. You could decide to allow any Expertise feat, or just the basic ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
My usual rule (when using the character builder) is "give yourselves as many instances of Versatile Expertise as you want". It's simple, covers all the bases, solves the issue of some Essentials expertise bonuses being head and shoulders above the others, and still lets them add one of the other feats if they're important to the build.