Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

KieranWalker posted:

Less 4, and more For Answer specifically. 4 did some strange things from what I hear; For Answer is basically a classic Armored Core game what lets you actually do all that fancy maneuvering and poo poo most of them have in the intro cinematics.
Yeah I heard the same; skipped #4, was told to skip #5, and go straight in to Verdict Day (after doing For Answer). Thankfully, a quick glance at a Wiki is all you need to fill you in on the previous game's plot :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rubberduke posted:

Same for me.

What's also weird about it is that leveling it up has nothing to do with what the Covenant actually does and the rewards are not even all that great.

The reward is the journey you had along the way.

Also, the covenant puts you at the top of the invasion queue and you can get covenant items from killing invaders, so the two do have something to do with each other.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

[...]
Also, the covenant puts you at the top of the invasion queue [..]

I did not know about the invasion queue. Not that it actually did anything for me back then. I got my first invasion a long time after I abandoned it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rubberduke posted:

Same for me.

What's also weird about it is that leveling it up has nothing to do with what the Covenant actually does and the rewards are not even all that great.

I think you poke the rock if you want to get your balls stomped, not for shiney prizes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poke the rock, shiny prizes, got it

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There is a shiny prize behind the rock, because if it's associated with a covenant of course there's a shiny prize involved. But actually getting said shiny prize involves a bunch of farming, as that's another thing about covenants in the series.

I've been satisfied with the prize myself, but I can understand why others might not be. :darksouls:

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

NGDBSS posted:

There is a shiny prize behind the rock, because if it's associated with a covenant of course there's a shiny prize involved. But actually getting said shiny prize involves a bunch of farming, as that's another thing about covenants in the series.

I've been satisfied with the prize myself, but I can understand why others might not be. :darksouls:

Oh God, the farming in DS2 is not good

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Whamukars posted:

Oh God, the farming in DS2 is not good
Well, the farming for covenant stuff isn't good, but at least (with patience) it can generally be made consistent. Most everything else is reasonable.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Farming for souls can be pretty easy if you have a friend. I've been playing though DS2 again with a friend who just got it and we summon each other constantly. We are both over leveled and crushing everything. The only bad bit is the soul memory means the invaders tend to be much more skilled than we are and wreck us.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 8, 2016

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

sleepy.eyes posted:

Farming for souls can be pretty easy if you have a friend. I've been playing though DS2 again with a a friend who just got it and we summon each other constantly. We are both over leveled and crushing everything. The only bad bit is the soul memory means the invaders tend to be much more skilled than we are and wreck us.

Getting summoned in general is a really handy source of souls. Human Effigies being usable anywhere is probably a big part of this (since you don't risk humanity on the run-up to a boss), along with the frankly enormous list of NPC summons. And you can reverse all your hollowing the moment you get summoned, so you often get summoned by players that helped you out moments before. It's a good system, with much stronger incentives towards use.

tbqh the Jollier Co-operation is my favorite part of DS2 compared to the first.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I enjoy trying to teach other players how to fight the Pursuer for a bit with any new PC to build up souls.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

the pursuer sucks and i hate him

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Geop, behold the arm monsters. The creepiest fuckers in the entire game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

YOU ALMOST MURDERED THE gently caress OUT OF GAVLAN WHAT THE gently caress

Also way to just casually walk over that pharos' lock, did you notice it?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:stare: Oh wow, you almost angered the best NPC. If you do manage to get him pissed at you, he grabs his ancestral battle axe and his other ancestral battle axe, and oh dear is he mean with them.

I've never done such myself, thankfully, but I've heard tale of others getting on his bad side.

SynthOrange posted:

Also way to just casually walk over that pharos' lock, did you notice it?
Geop didn't have any lockstones at the time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
HOW DARE YOU! All Gavlan wants to do is wheel and/or deal and you attacked him. You monster

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm playing along (just a bit ahead) and while I didn't attack Gavlan, I did give Cale a good whack by accident

Cale shouldn't bend over

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well one of the commentators murdered him without realizing he was an npc. vOv

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm a little disappointed geop didn't give those arm monsters the non-stop, pop pop, and stainless steel

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I got through No-Mans Wharf from start to end in one life, then died five times in quick succession trying to find the ghost ship switch :suicide:

The mace strong attack/strong attack combo is really good at stun-locking the dark stalkers (and a whole lot of other enemies)

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

drat, you took off a third of his health and he didn't mind. Gavlan's drinking the good stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DOOP posted:

The mace strong attack/strong attack combo is really good at smashing Gavlan's face

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Slaan posted:

HOW DARE YOU! All Gavlan wants to do is wheel and/or deal and you attacked him. You monster
First it's "be more aggressive"! Now it's "Geop don't murder innocent NPCs"! I swear, you guys :bahgawd:

He seriously looked like a new, chufty variant of them viking dudes to me at first though :staredog:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
The lack of bonfires is why I dislike the area, it's the only area in the game (outside of one exception) that I really had durability trouble.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

One of my favorite messages was in front of Gavlan. It was "need wheel, but try bargaining". I'm like, 'now where to I get this wheel?', then Gavlan told me what he was all about.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That gasp of shock and horror that Vicas made when you started laying into Gavlan was priceless.

Also, fun fact about those creepy long-armed guys: you can backstab them! It took me a few playthroughs to figure that one out.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Never discredit a message until you try it!

My favorite thing about the bell switch is that you can actually ring the bell from a distance with a Crossbow or the like and it still summons 'The Boat.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The arm monsters are designed to be annoying. Completely through hitbox muckery because oh boy them arms is long, they inflict bleed and have some element attached so you take damage from them even with a 100% physical shield. They're also an enemy I would say swords and other slashing weapons have an easier time with due to range and hitboxes being what they are.

Gavlan is the best npc. Like Frampt, Gavlan is the only npc that you can sell items to. He also generally follows the same rules (mostly turning useless equipment into a few more souls to buy supplies with.) Unlike Frampt however, you are safe with killing Gavlan (you monster) since he's just another shop npc.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In all fairness, as I was watching the video, my snap judgment also assumed that was another viking guy with his back turned

I would have laughed my rear end off if Gavlan's hostility threshold were lower and geop triggered it

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Geop posted:

First it's "be more aggressive"! Now it's "Geop don't murder innocent NPCs"! I swear, you guys :bahgawd:

He seriously looked like a new, chufty variant of them viking dudes to me at first though :staredog:

It's ok, Gavlan is apparently very forgiving. I had no idea he'd let you take off nearly half his HP without going aggressive.

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM
"Try torch? That's stupid, torches are useless!" was the funniest thing yet. Almost spit beer all over my laptop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Five Apples posted:

"Try torch? That's stupid, torches are useless!" was the funniest thing yet. Almost spit beer all over my laptop.

I'm thinking that goonther will just blunder out of the area without even trying out a torch.

Actually with that change to the layout, new players dont get a demonstration of why a torch is useful here.

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM

SynthOrange posted:

I'm thinking that goonther will just blunder out of the area without even trying out a torch.

Actually with that change to the layout, new players dont get a demonstration of why a torch is useful here.

Somewhat. The torches' usefulness is still being alluded to, but this version is much more obtuse.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Ok, to go back to Pursuer chat for a minute, i promise this will be the last.

Part of the reason i hated him so much was that i tried to get my cousin into Dark Souls 2 but we couldn't get past The Pursuer. He was having connection issues, so we couldn't get summon help, and he didn't invest any points into HP so any hits destroyed me. (He started as a mage and put almost every single point into intelligence)

Well today i found out why everything was terrible. He wasn't having connection issues at all, instead he actually had joined the Company of Champions and forgot about it. That's why that rear end in a top hat boss and even the Dragonrider were hitting like goddam trucks and we couldn't find any summon signs. Fuuuuck!! :argh:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 9, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I also almost killed Galvan the first time I came through, despite technically having foreknowledge of him

It's really dark ok

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Geop you killed the torch friend and then you almost killed Gavlan you monster!!!! :argh:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
When you got to the door with the bloodstains i was at the edge of my seat hoping that you would open it.

So glad you did, that was a really fun surprise when i did it!

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 9, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Frionnel posted:

Well today i found out why everything was terrible. He wasn't having connection issues at all, instead he actually had joined the Company of Champions and forgot about it. That's why that rear end in a top hat boss and even the Dragonrider were hitting like goddam trucks and we couldn't find any summon signs. Fuuuuck!! :argh:
From put in a bunch of warnings, and players still don't bother to read them. It seems like half the time new players complain about the game being impossibly hard it turns out they joined the CoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
GEOP STOP PLAYING DARK SOULS 2 WRONG

No for reals though, attacking Gavlan made me curl up in my chair in anguish.

• Locked thread