Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Paracelsus posted:

From put in a bunch of warnings, and players still don't bother to read them. It seems like half the time new players complain about the game being impossibly hard it turns out they joined the CoC.

To be fair i should have noticed what was happening sooner, he's the type of person who wouldn't read those. I finally realized what was happening when i tried to use an NPC summon and it wouldn't show up. That's when i thought of checking his convenant and there it was.

Oh god, Geop hitting Gavlan was the scariest moment of all :catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Geop was just making sure he wasn't an NPC Mimic.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Paracelsus posted:

From put in a bunch of warnings, and players still don't bother to read them. It seems like half the time new players complain about the game being impossibly hard it turns out they joined the CoC.

I feel like you could have ten prompts that finally end on a narrator stating "No for real you stupid motherfucker, this is going to make the game way too hard for you your first time. DO NOT PICK THIS!" before you're given the last prompt and dumbasses would still go for it and be confused.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nohman posted:

I feel like you could have ten prompts that finally end on a narrator stating "No for real you stupid motherfucker, this is going to make the game way too hard for you your first time. DO NOT PICK THIS!" before you're given the last prompt and dumbasses would still go for it and be confused.

Nothing short of explaining in plain terms how that'd change the game would stop that from happening.

Also, I'm proud of your strike first aggressive nature now but god dammit Geop, you gave the man drain bramage.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Captain Lavender posted:

One of my favorite messages was in front of Gavlan. It was "need wheel, but try bargaining". I'm like, 'now where to I get this wheel?', then Gavlan told me what he was all about.
"Try wheel, but Stay calm"

Especially you, Geop. Dang.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, Goonther versus murdergibbons is just magical.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
NO GAVLAN NO

I almost jumped out of my seat when you just ran up and started hitting him. and not only because I watched this at 7 AM or so without sleeping all night. Gavlan is among the best Dark Souls NPC's ever in my opinion. You should consider yourself wheely lucky he dealed with your attacks and didn't aggro. Sorry not sorry.

Also: concerning this area. I'm not sure if asking this is anything I should do, so I'll spoiler it just in case, but I want to ask the co-commentators Does anyone tell Geop/does he figure out the deal with the Darkdwellers and torches?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp that was a good long run since the last probation

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

sharkbeard posted:

I JUST CANNOT HELP BUT SPOIL DARK SOULS 2 EVEN WHEN TOLD MULTIPLE TIMES NOT TO DO SO AT ALL!!

Is just some kind of mass, undiagnosed mental illness with Dark Souls fans?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

sharkbeard posted:

Also: concerning this area. I'm not sure if asking this is anything I should do

This line is the exemplar for the threshold with which you should not ask [this]

quote:

so I'll spoiler it just in case

Stop! I like this thread open. Read the OP. Forgive this man Geop!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Try torch.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

sharkbeard posted:

I'm not sure if asking this is anything I should do, so I'll spoiler it just in case

Geop posted:

:frogsiren: This also means NO SPOILER TAGS.:frogsiren:

That's a tricky one

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
It's alright Geop, I also unloaded into Gavlan when first playing Scholar's. My brother was watching me play and had a similar reaction to the thread right now, only difference was I was using a lovely Scimitar instead of a mace that melts Golems in 2 swings so I knew Id be hosed if I provoked him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Geop posted:

First it's "be more aggressive"! Now it's "Geop don't murder innocent NPCs"! I swear, you guys :bahgawd:

He seriously looked like a new, chufty variant of them viking dudes to me at first though :staredog:

Usually that advice only applies when you're actually being attacked. Even ignoring NPCs, there are lots of enemies in this game that aren't totally aggressive, or have strange AI patterns, especially in Scholar. Like that knight in front of the King's door, he won't attack you unless you get right up in his face. Being aggressive is good in combat, but that doesn't mean rushing in blindly. Taking a few seconds to assess the situation helps immensely!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Usually that advice only applies when you're actually being attacked. Even ignoring NPCs, there are lots of enemies in this game that aren't totally aggressive, or have strange AI patterns, especially in Scholar. Like that knight in front of the King's door, he won't attack you unless you get right up in his face. Being aggressive is good in combat, but that doesn't mean rushing in blindly. Taking a few seconds to assess the situation helps immensely!
Something I've found to be helpful, if you're unsure whether a target is friendly, is to attempt to lock onto it. If you can do so, it's probably not friendly; otherwise it's probably fine.

This is particularly useful if you're invading someone else in PvP, as with a bit of effort it's possible to disguise yourself as most human-sized enemies. There were videos back in the DS1 era of play where some folks would dress up as Painting Guardians or Channelers, and their credulous invaders would walk right on by before becoming rather confused.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Goonther's handling of the Viking Pirate Frathouse is why this LP is. :buddy:

And No Man's Wharf is just a really loving good area.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

I for one welcome a Dark Souls-like Pirate game, like how Bloodborne has a Victorian theme.

Also, you're not alone Geop, I did the exact same thing when I first encountered Gavlan.

Capt. J. Linebeck fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 9, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nohman posted:

Is just some kind of mass, undiagnosed mental illness with Dark Souls fans?

Git gud, this thread- and only this thread- with spoilers, and weird fan art of those small bird girls that you never even physically see are all the examples I can think of.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

I for one welcome a Dark Souls-like Pirate game, like how Bloodborne has a Victorian theme.
What sort of pirates, then? Analogues/inspirations I can think of off the top of my head that aren't just sobering mirrors of reality:
  • The Caribbean and the eastern American coast, of course.
  • China.
  • Southeast Asia, particularly involving the Straits of Malacca.
  • The western Mediterranean. No wait, that involved the slave trade as a central facet.
  • The Aegean and Black Seas, hence the Varangians as shown here in DS2.
  • The Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. The real-world inspiration for pirates-and-eyepatches apparently came from here.
  • Scandinavia, hence the Vikings.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 9, 2016

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Torch abstinence and Gavlan abuse aside, I was most surprised that no one commented when Goonther apparently bumped into...nothing in particular in 5:35.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's an incredibly sneaky hidden door in this area, I think in the ground floor of Gavlan's house. There were a few messages in front. I didn't know about that one for like three playthrough.

Paracelsus posted:

I can read very well, I just assumed (which you should never do, granted) that joining the Covenant would get me invaded more often or something like that, not increase the difficulty of everything. Just not something I expected Dark Souls to do. Funny thing is, you will get invaded more often in the CoC, it just also carries the other hard mode things with it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

What sort of pirates, then? Analogues/inspirations I can think of off the top of my head that aren't just sobering mirrors of reality:
  • China.
  • The western Mediterranean. No wait, that involved the slave trade as a central facet.
  • The Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. The real-world inspiration for pirates-and-eyepatches apparently came from here.

how about "all of the above"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

• China.
Modern East Africa and Pacific.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

NGDBSS posted:

Something I've found to be helpful, if you're unsure whether a target is friendly, is to attempt to lock onto it. If you can do so, it's probably not friendly; otherwise it's probably fine.

This is particularly useful if you're invading someone else in PvP, as with a bit of effort it's possible to disguise yourself as most human-sized enemies. There were videos back in the DS1 era of play where some folks would dress up as Painting Guardians or Channelers, and their credulous invaders would walk right on by before becoming rather confused.

Geop knows about the lock-on, he's commented on it before for NPCs. He just slipped up this time, thankfully on someone with the patience - or alcohol-numbed pain threshold - of a rock.

I think this video was linked way back in the DS1 LP's Anor Londo segment, but yeah - it's pretty entertaining to see invaders get trolled.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
There might not be pirate squads, but are there pirates' quads?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Reading messages is great for secret doors, as they take priority. I hope Geop took the chance to use Sell sometime that session though.

In the original Dark Souls 2, when Gavlaan was somewhere else, I'd been bowing through a lot of enemies and saw him as a person-shape about the size of my aiming crosshair. Of course I sunk like six or eight arrows into his head.

Realising this was like 15% of his health bar my NPC detection went ping and I stopped. Luckily, no aggro.

Hope the team is having fun making the LP! I'm having fun watching.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Some people complain that the level design of DS2 doesn't make sense, but I think that the opening stretch of Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's, No Man's Wharf and the areas come up is one of the best in the series. Heide's is a bit weak, but the rest of it all fits together so well.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
Oh my god seeing you immediately smack Gavlan around was both hilarious and terrifying. Thank goodness you stopped. I assume you just saw the 'talk' prompt a bit late. Gavlan is a pretty nice NPC, though. Also, Gavlan was moved! He was in the top floor of that other building originally. Now he's there. Not sure why, but there you go.

(Also your "I AM SO SORRY" was adorable. :3: )

Those arm monsters have wonkey hitboxes. You discovered some of it yourself when it refused to get hit by a pair of your attacks (which was total bullshit) but their arm swings have hitboxes that linger slightly. They're one of the enemies that I tend to have hit me even after I roll through an attack.

As for the ninjas; I'm not sure how much detail I can go in to, but originally they only appeared in one specific room on NG+ and later only. It was really, really loving dumb. Adding them to other places is a good thing since it means you can get their drops (And they have pretty hilarious weapon drops. It looks absolutely nothing like what they actually use.) but their speed and how their attacks kinda home in on you can be really bothersome.

armoredgorilla posted:

Some people complain that the level design of DS2 doesn't make sense, but I think that the opening stretch of Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's, No Man's Wharf and the areas come up is one of the best in the series. Heide's is a bit weak, but the rest of it all fits together so well.

No Man's Wharf is honestly one of the better designed areas. Like it plays a bunch with verticality, like most Dark Souls 1 areas did... which I may have mentioned already. My issue with this area is how it throws way too many dudes at you at once a lot of the time. With a number of spots also having you in shooting range of archers. Kinda ruins it a bit, but the area itself is good.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 9, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Those Ninjas have a cool and unique armor set, of which the gloves increase build-up (the only gloves to do so!), and TWO different weapons, it's insane. The original way of farming them was a nightmare. Still too low droprates :argh:.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

armoredgorilla posted:

Eh, Heide's was and remains very half baked, I think; other than a nice view and Licia, who's one of my favorite NPCs, the only really interesting thing about it is the Old Knight Fight Club Arena. But I'd agree No Man's Wharf is, considered by itself, one of the best designed areas in the entire game, DLC included. You've got branching paths at points, good use of vertical space, shortcuts that are kinda meaningful, enemy placement that is both sometimes tricky and flavorful, a thing with that Pharos lockstone device we may or may not see, a cool set piece with the spooky pirate ship pulling into port, and a relative lack of square 10-foot rooms containing at most one orc and an obviously repeating wall texture. And Scholar actually moves Gavlan to less of a dick place. Like many parts of the Forest, it clearly got some polish passes.

Just don't think too hard about where it ought to be in relation to sea level and what it implies about the laws of hydrodynamics.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

No Man's Wharf also features some entertainingly dastardly enemy tactics along with clever ways you can turn the tables. That, the framing, and the level design which makes it seem labyrinthine but actually pretty small and tightly arranged once you open up the shortcuts, make it feel quintessentially "Souls". It even makes excellent use of DS2's lighting system, which not many areas can truly claim.

That said, it feels like it would have been more appropriate to have placed it at a route directly from the Forest of Fallen Giants. Heide's Tower of Flame, meanwhile, ought to have been placed much further out, beyond the next area, to actually add to the solitude and otherworldliness of it, rather than have been just a transitional area that, according to the devs themselves, had some bells and whistles tacked on because they felt like it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The thing I like about the wharf - and that very, very few areas here have, is the whole ghost pirate ship setpiece. When it shows up, eerie blue lights and all, it's just perfect - you imagine the vast underground see it sails on, all the mysteries lurking there, suddenly this whole place makes sense and it'll even fill you in on some lore bits.
It's an oh-poo poo moment comparable to seeing Anor Londo for the first time or passing through Queelag's place after finishing your objective and seeing a whole new world stretch before you. And there's very, very few of these moments in this game.

So yeah, No-man's Wharf is a pain in the rear end to play (and God was it even worse before SotFS) but going by style, impression, detail, it's one of the best areas in DS2 and I wish more levels would have this amount of thought put into them.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
I have a question for Kuvo and Vicas. Are you guys going to guide Geop into completing NPC plotlines?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm pretty sure the pirate frat is Alpha Rho Rho.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Well one of the commentators murdered him without realizing he was an npc. vOv

I played the original version of this game where Gavlan chills in a different part of the map. I didnt know this is where he moved to in Scholars (nor do i think Vicas realized either).

jpublic posted:

I have a question for Kuvo and Vicas. Are you guys going to guide Geop into completing NPC plotlines?

i think we've agreed on heavily alluding to Things He Should Do but not outright tell him. if he doesn't Do The Thing then oh well :darksouls:

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 9, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
He already passed the one NPC plotline that matters. Not killing Gavlan.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, Gavlan used to be in the house where the long arm dude busted down the wall, which is an optional area and too dark to see him from far away unless you're specifically looking for him. The only clue he's up there is the sound he makes when he chugs his booze. Now he's directly in front of the shortcut door, which means you get a very good look at him if you approach it from the other side in search of a way to open it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was almost a wheely big mistake, I'm glad you could deal with it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

anilEhilated posted:

(and God was it even worse before SotFS)

I had a lot less trouble with the wharf in the original version tbh. What exactly was worse about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

botany posted:

I had a lot less trouble with the wharf in the original version tbh. What exactly was worse about it?
You'll see next episode, most likely. But regardless, the complaining is a bit overblown considering that there's a lot in No-Man's Wharf that's skippable if you don't particularly care. I'm a completionist twit who's happily platinumed this game twice (original + Scholar), but doing so isn't necessary per se.

• Locked thread