Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the second brotherhood op is really forgettable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

the second brotherhood op is really forgettable

Only because the first one is the greatest OP in Japanimation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i think the third is actually my favorite but it's been a while

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The third is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjZtaDepfA

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No that's the super forgettable one :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uq34TeWEdQ

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk posted:

No that's the super forgettable one :saddowns:

wtf

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought we could be friends as fellow Jotaro-lovers, but now I see I can trust no one

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i like all fma ops. i'm history's greatest monster

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Baal posted:

I thought we could be friends as fellow Jotaro-lovers, but now I see I can trust no one

I actually forgot that the second part of that one owns, the first is still my favourite by far though. I still believe in you and your rad avatar.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I love the guitar in the third op, it's really funky.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 9, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

vindicated

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The 1st is easily the best.

Also Bleach's first OP is actually pretty good and belongs in a much better, more stylish show than Bleach

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The new OP is really good, both in song and animation. It was also nice to see Rohan get the poo poo beat out of him because I forgot just how badly he got hosed up

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Agree with this. The fifth op was pretty disappointing for the finale though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

IronicDongz posted:

Also Bleach's first OP is actually pretty good and belongs in a much better, more stylish show than Bleach

:agreed:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Episode was awesome.

Ambivalent on the current OP's actual animation. Didn't care much for the song, though I expect it to grow on me as the cour progresses. I still miss Crazy, Noisy Bizarre Town, though. Glad they're sticking with I Want You as the ED, at least.

Kurtofan posted:

"Read the mang-"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i've never watched full metal alchemist but i think chase is YEAH! because it has lots of cool animation and YEAH!s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Last Train Home was really depressing the further that season went on :saddowns: I'm surprised Rohan didn't develop a Stand before being shot with the arrow considering how crazy dedicated he is to drawing reality.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The third Brotherhood OP is my favorite song, my favorite actual OP is probably either 1st or 4th

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The more I watch the new op the the more I like ti, especially the visuals.

Also there is no bad Fma op, but the 1st and 4th brotherhood ops are more perfect than the rest

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The Bleach comparisons are kinda ironic, because as I read the Part 4 manga it became really clear that Bleach had been trying to emulate it

Charlie Bobson posted:

Also there is no bad Fma op, but the 1st and 4th brotherhood ops are more perfect than the rest

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Baal right for once

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Last Train Home was really depressing the further that season went on :saddowns: I'm surprised Rohan didn't develop a Stand before being shot with the arrow considering how crazy dedicated he is to drawing reality.

I wanna say there was a side thing that said that Rohan actually did have a stand before coming to Morioh? Never actually read it and no idea if it's "canon" or whatever, but that's what I've been told, and really that's probably the thing that makes more sense.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Saagonsa posted:

I wanna say there was a side thing that said that Rohan actually did have a stand before coming to Morioh? Never actually read it and no idea if it's "canon" or whatever, but that's what I've been told, and really that's probably the thing that makes more sense.

i think thus spoke rohan kishibe says he got his stand through talent

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

You should go back and rewatch the ED and pay attention to the tickets and framing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

There is, Rohan at the Louvre shows him with Heaven's Door at age 16 or so. Kinda surprised they didn't retcon the arrow thing for the anime, but DavidPro has a record of ignoring such revisionist history (see: Iggy).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frionnel posted:

When i watched the OP all i could think was how it kinda reminded me of Bleach, yeah, the song is very generic shounen-ish.

I was probably thinking of this part 30 seconds into the first Bleach opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVaKesaMDkA

Looks very similar to the start of the new OP. It even has the grafitti.
The visuals are GUREITO DAZE though, and the Kira stuff is hype as gently caress. Can't believe we still have to wait 4 or so weeks for him.

Edit: Can't paste the link at the relevant time, so it's 30 seconds in.

LIGHT YAGAMI IS THE VILLAIN?!

Moltrey posted:

I already have the chorus stuck in my head so I cannot hate Chase

also if you're not hyped up by the last bit with crazy diamond punching a lot and josuke reaching for a mystery man only for the man to meet him with a creepy glare then you broken, my friends

I've said nothing about having a problem with any of the animations or whatever, I just don't think any of the song changes have beaten Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 9, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

there are bad FMA ops?

There are some I like less than others.

Wait, no I'm thinking of the eds. 4th one was good though.

Adult Swim's version of the 1st and 4th ops were amazing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnq1FT7GOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g6MQ-SplDQ

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

EmmyOk posted:

Last Train Home was really depressing the further that season went on :saddowns:
now you understand why araki is the greatest vampire to ever not-live. i also had a hard time getting why last train home was an ending. now i get a sort of bittersweet feeling rewatching the ending.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Condiv posted:

i like all fma ops. i'm history's greatest monster

All FMA OPs are great except Melissa and UNDO. Chase reminds me of Rewrite.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

New OP is so soul eater, it hurts. I love it. Could not be more hype for what's to come.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Frionnel posted:

I was probably thinking of this part 30 seconds into the first Bleach opening:

-video-

It's funny seeing the first Bleach OP after so long. The biggest reason why I like Part 4 so much is that it represents everything I wanted Bleach to be; a slice of life comedy set in a small town where super-powered teens beat up weird and unique 'bad' guys.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

The 1st is easily the best.

Yeah when I first saw the bleach op, knowing nothing about the series, I assumed it'd be about stylish teenagers dressing well and having swords or something????

New Jojo op is pretty good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think rohan is kind of a good example of the sorts of 'villains' that part 4 likes to showcase at times. by the end you kind of ultimately get the idea that he's mostly an rear end in a top hat who gets really wrapped up in what he does due to feelings of insecurity and wanting people to pay attention to his work. he's not some assassin sent out to kill a globetrotting group of weirdos who are trying to defeat a vampire or anything, just some guy who basically lucked into having a walking goldmine of inspiration come knocking at his front door

i mean, yeah, what he was doing to koichi was dangerous and would have eventually led to him basically collapsing due to fatigue, but at the very least you can get a general sense of why he was doing it and the idea that he's not exactly the type to want to actively kill people like, say, angelo. or hazamada. hazamada is a power-tripping creep, honestly.

(also i like the new OP and i think when we finally have the third OP we might all look back on the trio and enjoy them for what they all uniquely are, because yeah, DiU was set in the 90's so a 90's-esque OP is actually kind of fitting)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember this plot point.

quote:

mangas slid down the wall, leaving a trail of something black behind them. when they hit the ground they opened and closed and in doing so improvised a sort of locomotion that brought them ever closer, inch by inch, flap by flap, to the bed where i lay paralyzed. i lost sight of them as they drew closer, but then felt, with an odd calmness, the cold wet touch of mangas sliding up my leg.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think rohan is kind of a good example of the sorts of 'villains' that part 4 likes to showcase at times. by the end you kind of ultimately get the idea that he's mostly an rear end in a top hat who gets really wrapped up in what he does due to feelings of insecurity and wanting people to pay attention to his work. he's not some assassin sent out to kill a globetrotting group of weirdos who are trying to defeat a vampire or anything, just some guy who basically lucked into having a walking goldmine of inspiration come knocking at his front door

i mean, yeah, what he was doing to koichi was dangerous and would have eventually led to him basically collapsing due to fatigue, but at the very least you can get a general sense of why he was doing it and the idea that he's not exactly the type to want to actively kill people like, say, angelo. or hazamada. hazamada is a power-tripping creep, honestly.

(also i like the new OP and i think when we finally have the third OP we might all look back on the trio and enjoy them for what they all uniquely are, because yeah, DiU was set in the 90's so a 90's-esque OP is actually kind of fitting)

I'm a big fan of these araki notes from some DiU volumes

quote:

I frequently get the comment that the "Enemies" in JoJo Part 4 are "Weak." I think my response to this criticism is quite clear from the work itself, but since I've heard the same complaint from the editorial staff, I'll answer it explicitly: I constructed Part 4 around the theme of mental and emotional weakness. The Stands were created by exaggerating the viewpoints of characters consumed by their own flaws.

quote:

I was thinking about how strong enemies show up in manga. After them, an even stronger enemy shows up, and after them, an even stronger one... so what happens at the very end? It's kind of like thinking about the edges of the universe. Once you look about the world, you realize that what it really means to be a "strong" person is not to do bad things.
"An enemy who does bad things" is a person who has "a spiritual weakness," and what's truly scary is when someone takes that weakness and uses it to lash out against others.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, a cool thing about Part 4 is that almost every Stand is related to the characters' world view and mental state. Josuke is a kind guy that "fixes" people, Koichi slowly evolves from a shy guy to someone that takes action and "makes noise" in the world, Okuyasu is rough, but his power ultimately can be used to bring people closer to him - which makes sense considering he spent most of his life alone with his brother -,, Hazamada, who is such a self-righteous, egocentric, socially awkward nerd that his Stand MAKES people do what he wants, Yukako being so obsessive she ties up people with her hair, Tamami being such a con artist that his power is literally enhanced blackmail...

Not everyone fits this pattern to a T but unlike part 3 the minor villains have motivations and you can see that reflected in their Stands.

also jotaro being so boring even time itself stops around him

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
As per request, anime-only speculation:

The villain appears to have been to Egypt so I guess he saw Dio and he inspired him to become a deranged killer himself and throw lots of knives. The first op has a sign with a cat-thing and two knives so that's probably his stand. He also somehow saw Vanilla Ice kill Avdol, and that's when his obsession with cutting everything but the hands off people started. He is also a huge fan of soup. I think he traveled the world to find the perfect soup. There will be a tragic flashback that reveals he once had the chance to try Tonio's cooking, but missed out on it because he was late for a plane or something, and thus "woman hands" ended up becoming his favorite flavor instead.

The first op had a rat and a rose in it as shadows, and this one has a rat in a cake and rose vines all over, so those are both stands or stand users. The cake too, probably.

There's a blurry image of what seems like an old man with a big staff. He's not a stand user, but an actual wizard.

Chestnut Child is no doubt another bastard son of Joseph. The mother is Dodoria from DBZ.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's good to see someone finally noticed the deadliest Stand in Part 4, [Cake  by  the  Ocean].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dragonwagon posted:

As per request, anime-only speculation:

The villain appears to have been to Egypt so I guess he saw Dio and he inspired him to become a deranged killer himself and throw lots of knives. The first op has a sign with a cat-thing and two knives so that's probably his stand. He also somehow saw Vanilla Ice kill Avdol, and that's when his obsession with cutting everything but the hands off people started. He is also a huge fan of soup. I think he traveled the world to find the perfect soup. There will be a tragic flashback that reveals he once had the chance to try Tonio's cooking, but missed out on it because he was late for a plane or something, and thus "woman hands" ended up becoming his favorite flavor instead.

The first op had a rat and a rose in it as shadows, and this one has a rat in a cake and rose vines all over, so those are both stands or stand users. The cake too, probably.

There's a blurry image of what seems like an old man with a big staff. He's not a stand user, but an actual wizard.

Chestnut Child is no doubt another bastard son of Joseph. The mother is Dodoria from DBZ.

you know it's very inconsiderate to pose as an anime-viewer and then blatantly spoil everything with "speculation,"

have some decency jeez

• Locked thread