Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Open Fire is a great starter. It's the core of two decent armies in the box. They really haven't made it clear enough that you can just buy this box and play with the tanks you already own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Arquinsiel posted:

Open Fire is a great starter. It's the core of two decent armies in the box. They really haven't made it clear enough that you can just buy this box and play with the tanks you already own.

What would be decent to get when i purchase Open fire in order to expand it into a more versatile army? I've got a 20% off on everything deal with a store, but there's a minimum order. I'll focus on US Airborne as "my" army because the other local player here already has a rather massive german army.

EDIT 2: Boogaloo

i've now ordered Pray for me!

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 4, 2016

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Frobbe posted:

Father, I know that Frobbe has broken your laws and his/her/its sins have separated him/her/it from you. I am truly sorry, and now he/she/it wants to turn away from his/her/its past sinful life toward you by buying more metal, resin, or plastic fighting men. Please forgive him/her/it, and help him/her/it to avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for his/her/its sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. He/she/it invites Jesus to become the Lord of his/her/its life, to rule and reign in his/her/its heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help him/her/it obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of his/her/its life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Frobbe posted:

What would be decent to get when i purchase Open fire in order to expand it into a more versatile army? I've got a 20% off on everything deal with a store, but there's a minimum order. I'll focus on US Airborne as "my" army because the other local player here already has a rather massive german army.

BA>FoW. Nerd.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

DJ Dizzy posted:

BA>FoW. Nerd.

I wanted something not 28mm and i had decent fun assembling 15mm Shermans. Plus there's at least 3 other players local to me!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody know of terrain buildings/roads etc... that I could get for Team Yankee? The official battlefront buildings look good but theyre expensive and limited.

I wanna build an 80s european town.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phi230 posted:

Anybody know of terrain buildings/roads etc... that I could get for Team Yankee? The official battlefront buildings look good but theyre expensive and limited.

4Ground has a new 15mm 'cold war gone hot' line, pricey, but 4Ground remains the duck's nuts

http://www.4ground.co.uk/15mm-cold-war-gone-hot

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How would my "War of Roses" troops be clothed, from a colour-scheme perspective?

Would any of my non-heraldic troops wear the colour of their Baron/Earl/Duke, or their local lord-knight? Or just whatever was laying around i.e. just grey-brown-russet-green?

Was there a dividing line where some troops (i.e. noblemen/vassals and villeins/serfs) would have a uniform and some not?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

4Ground has a new 15mm 'cold war gone hot' line, pricey, but 4Ground remains the duck's nuts

http://www.4ground.co.uk/15mm-cold-war-gone-hot

Grrr! Why is TY so expensive?!! :argh:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Southern Heel posted:

How would my "War of Roses" troops be clothed, from a colour-scheme perspective?

Would any of my non-heraldic troops wear the colour of their Baron/Earl/Duke, or their local lord-knight? Or just whatever was laying around i.e. just grey-brown-russet-green?

Was there a dividing line where some troops (i.e. noblemen/vassals and villeins/serfs) would have a uniform and some not?

I don't think definitive answers really exist, I would go for whatever you think looks good as a mix of rag tag and uniform colors.

There's an awesome painter who runs a blog called Saxon Dog-- he recently took down his old Roses and Burgundian wars stuff, but you may find good inspiration google image or Pinterest searching his name

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 4, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

4G terrain is loving awesome, don't let the price scare you off. They build like an absolute dream and are almost over-designed because they go together so well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

4Ground makes the top end stuff no doubt, but there should be cheaper alternatives for the budget conscious wargamer. I pulled this from an Ambush Alley resources site

Modern Buildings 15mm:

https://www.flamesofwar.com: excellent painted line of Gale Force 9 Middle Eastern buildings.

https://www.jrminiatures.net: large line of painted and unpainted 15mm Middle Eastern buildings, roads, rivers and palm trees.

https://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.com: pre-painted Middle Eastern buildings, some serviceable WW2 era buildings.

https://www.crescent-root.com: probably the best pre-painted 15mm buildings on the market, but currently out of production. Check out his site from time to time; once in awhile he goes back into production for a few weeks.

https://www.theterrainguy.com: most of the roads and palm tree stands you see on our boards are from this company.

https://www.timecastmodels.co.uk: Excellent 15mm buildings suitable for Europe and SE Asia. Available painted or unpainted.

https://www.kerrandking.co.uk: Great line of Middle Eastern, Western European and Eastern European buildings. There are some modular kit pieces, too, to assist with construction of your own buildings.

https://www.fieldworks.org.uk: Very nice line of ruined buildings in 10/12mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25/28mm. Buildings range from WW2 era to science fiction. Very cool destroyed hotels, apartment buildings and department stores.

https://www.gamecraftminiatures.com: The only manufacturer I am aware of that offers modern Middle Eastern buildings in 15mm. Excellent resin casting, the buildings are quick to assemble and a joy to paint. Alan has also started doing MDF and foamcore buildings, which are excellent as well.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the building and terrain stuff everyone.

Now Ive found a 15mm SCUD launcher and I desperately want to use it for Team Yankee under deathstrike missile rules from 40k

Ive also found an SA-6 site and straight flush radar in 15mm and want that too

Also about the SCUD and browsing QRF/other 15mm cold war stuff I wish Team Yankee had a bigger roster.

Also chemical weapon rules. I wanna use gas.

Using a large flamer template with scatter dice for wind affected gas. Yellow/green dyed cotton balls to act as visual for gas. Now gotta figure out actual rules for ut. Could follow similar rules for smoke.

Man I love homebrewing war crimes

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 4, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Frobbe posted:

TANKS!

Something i haven't seen advertised at all regarding this, is the fact that you get all the cards in the box for all current tanks they've released and will be releasing. So if you've already got an existing collection that has stugs, panzer IV, comet, cromwell or Firefly and the russian tanks, you don't need to purchase any expansions at all!

poo poo, I remember hearing that they explicitly weren't going to do that. This is a good reversal!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

4G terrain is loving awesome, don't let the price scare you off. They build like an absolute dream and are almost over-designed because they go together so well.

I was mostly annoyed with the prohibitively expensive Team Yankee prices. I own a 28mm 4Ground building, so I'm quite familiar with how they work.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Phi230 posted:

A lot of those large 3D puzzles are actually in or close to 1:100 scale if you see them around for cheap. I know a while back some local people used the Alpine Castle one for a Nazi castle fortress in a 15mm WW2 campaign. The smaller houses tend to be closer to 1/72 or 25mm in some cases but the castles are usually near 1:100. I have the Camelot one and it's drat close to 15mm, or at least it's in a 15mm mimmick scale since the windows and doors are correctly sized but other things are a bit wonk. If you want some really cheap stuff these guys do a lot of European railroad stuff in 1:100 scale papercraft: http://www.papercraftsquare.com/?s=projekt-bastelbogen
or search using the 1:100 tag here:
http://www.papercraftsquare.com/tag/1100/

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I'm using HO scale model railroad buildings for my TY table. Check out a company called Faller. The scale fits fine imo and they have a massive range.

https://www.faller.de

Not the cheapest thing ever, but what is, in this dumb hobby?

I think the key to making a table look right for the game are modern roads (I got both of the Battlefront sets which are very good) and electric pylons.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 5, 2016

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

BeigeJacket posted:

Not the cheapest thing ever, but what is, in this dumb hobby?

Your tears as you watch your credit balance -- that's the cheapest thing.

Does anyone here use an airbrush set to paint their tanks/mans? I was looking around and I saw Revell compressors for 200+ euro's, Chinese brand names for 100 euro's (but then also read some crazy stories about Chinese compressors blowing up in your balls), Games Workshop lovely spray systems and 500+ euro professional compressors. Then I read about pulsing and tidemarks and then I gave up and cried.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Kip posted:

Does anyone here use an airbrush set to paint their tanks/mans? I was looking around and I saw Revell compressors for 200+ euro's, Chinese brand names for 100 euro's (but then also read some crazy stories about Chinese compressors blowing up in your balls), Games Workshop lovely spray systems and 500+ euro professional compressors. Then I read about pulsing and tidemarks and then I gave up and cried.

I'm learning to airbrush right now. I got a pretty good Iwata airbrush, but it is definitely a skill that has to be learned: sometimes I will just spend two hours swearing at the airbrush and cleaning it time and time again, as it gets clogged and spits blobs of paint everywhere, or nothing at all. However, that session where I could apply an even coat of stone brown on a dozen British 28mm tanks? Beautiful.

I sincerely hope that it will pay off in the long run, as painting 28mm scale tanks with brushes is the pits.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've got a generic Chinese eBay compressor and it's been fine over the years.

The airbrush itself is worth spending a little money on though. I started using the cheap blue foam Chinese brushes, and while they were sufficient to learn on, they aren't that great.

I mean if all you want to do is base coat tanks then coloured primers are probably the easiest solution.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 5, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

secretly a baby posted:

I was mostly annoyed with the prohibitively expensive Team Yankee prices. I own a 28mm 4Ground building, so I'm quite familiar with how they work.
Yeah that's far, TY is overpriced.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We're looking at GHQ to use for TY instead. Bonus is that we can use them for other games when we inevitably want to up our grog.

Anyone have any tips for 6mm Cold War terrain? Buildings and high voltage pylons mainly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Commissar Kip posted:

I got a ~$100 compressor from Canadian Tire, I'll let you know if my balls explode.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got an Iwata airbrush compressor, but then we bought the gear collectively at the club. Going solo on expensive airbrush gear is a bit of a big deal if you don't plan to do a ton of airbrushing, as with airplane model building or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

secretly a baby posted:

We're looking at GHQ to use for TY instead. Bonus is that we can use them for other games when we inevitably want to up our grog.

Anyone have any tips for 6mm Cold War terrain? Buildings and high voltage pylons mainly.
This is what I found that seemed to have what I wanted: http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/range_23/range_23.html

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cook. Looks like a wide range of stuff.

Can anyone tell me anything about how you base infantry in Cold War Commander? I'd like to make sure we can use our toys for both that and TY

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Work in progress, plugging the last gap needed to play our Viking game: ranged fighters! The Gripping Beast boxes don't come with bows, but I got two from a friend who bought the Wargames Factory box. So the unarmoured farmers get slings, and the armoured warriors get bows.

I also started what I hope is the main re-write of the rules, making them more accessible and clear for those not involved in the playtesting. After that, it's on to translating them!

Also definitely WIP, as it is my first real attempt at layout and I'm learning and revising as I go:

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Looks like Bolt Action Second Edition is getting a new starter box with plastic US Airborne... :)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Welp, my Open Fire! box arrived, but the US and German infantry seem to have deserted! (time to email battlefront)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Work in progress, plugging the last gap needed to play our Viking game: ranged fighters! The Gripping Beast boxes don't come with bows, but I got two from a friend who bought the Wargames Factory box. So the unarmoured farmers get slings, and the armoured warriors get bows.

I also started what I hope is the main re-write of the rules, making them more accessible and clear for those not involved in the playtesting. After that, it's on to translating them!

Also definitely WIP, as it is my first real attempt at layout and I'm learning and revising as I go:

Thems a fancy-pants layout you got there. I like it, looks very professional which already puts you above 90% of wargaming rules with regards to presentation.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Thems a fancy-pants layout you got there. I like it, looks very professional which already puts you above 90% of wargaming rules with regards to presentation.

Thanks! I found a great guide for typography, and it was very comforting in pointing out that you can get a pretty decent layout by just following some basic rules and principles. Pretty much like painting miniatures really, in that you can get a decent result if you just study and practice some basic techniques.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Can't wait to dig into these!

(and the plastic infantry from Open Fire! once the replacements arrive for the missing sprues)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think that Tanks! might be the gateway drug for Flames of War at my LGS, too. They've stated they're getting OP kits and such. Hopefully I can finally use my Open Fire tanks I've had gathering dust. Even if they're the first run plastics that are going to be a nightmare to assemble. I'm wondering if investing in a copy of Blood, Guts & Glory to get Tank Aces as the next step. And Nachtjager so I can UNLEASH THE COMETS.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that Tanks! might be the gateway drug for Flames of War at my LGS, too. They've stated they're getting OP kits and such. Hopefully I can finally use my Open Fire tanks I've had gathering dust. Even if they're the first run plastics that are going to be a nightmare to assemble. I'm wondering if investing in a copy of Blood, Guts & Glory to get Tank Aces as the next step. And Nachtjager so I can UNLEASH THE COMETS.

I've seen them at my LGS as well -- people are pretty excited. Sadly everything regular FoW is gathering dust and the owner has decided not to stock regular FoW anymore because the general consensus is that it's just too drat expensive.

I mean, people are more keen to buy GW's overpriced poo poo then FoW -- even the GW angry grognards who vowed never to buy GW again. Conversation around the Tanks! demo table goes like "Oh, this is really cool." "Yeah, it's by the same people who do Flames of War." "What, that expensive poo poo? I might play this Tanks! thing, but Flames of War is a ripoff -- incidentally have you seen that awesome new [THING BY GW]? Too bad I'll never buy from those fuckers again." Rinse and repeat.

Might be a Dutch thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
GW is a hell of a drug.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Both FoW and GW are prohibitively expensive these days compared to the competition. Guildball is still insanely priced depending on where you live but other than that WM/H keeps getting cheaper, Malifaux has always been inexpensive comparatively, and basically every other historical game is a free for all with cheap models from dozens of companies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
FoW at least has the advantage of other companies doing it in that scale, but better.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Enentol posted:

Looks like Bolt Action Second Edition is getting a new starter box with plastic US Airborne... :)

Has anyone found a list of changes coming in second edition? I'm pretty disheartened by the fact that all I can find so far is that its 1st edition+errata repackaged.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Has anyone found a list of changes coming in second edition? I'm pretty disheartened by the fact that all I can find so far is that its 1st edition+errata repackaged.

Warlord didn't write a first edition of the rules, why would they have written a second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
So, will we count Konflict 47 also as 'Historical' or do I need to go to the plebs in other threads to discuss this?