Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That might be true, but Verhoven used it to satirize glorification of fascist ideals in both the book and contemporary action films.
I love Starship Troopers.

He read almost none of the book at all

Not to say that the movie we got was bad or anything, just that as an adaptation it's incredibly inaccurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

He read almost none of the book at all

Not to say that the movie we got was bad or anything, just that as an adaptation it's incredibly inaccurate

It still works as a very good rebuttal of the book, and I think the idea that he didn't read the book is probably wrong, or at least the screenwriter read the book, since there are monologues that are straight up lifted from the book, just presented in a different light.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

David Lynch never read Dune. Werner Herzog never saw the original Bad Lieutenant. Wonderful results, all.

e: Stephen King hates the unfaithfulness of The Shining and praises the horrible faithful miniseries. I remember reading that Stanley would incessantly ring Stephen without concern for England/US time differences and get him to try and logically explain the supernatural. That might have something to do with the resentment.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 8, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Teenage Fansub posted:

David Lynch never read Dune. Werner Herzog never saw the original Bad Lieutenant. Wonderful results, all.

e: Stephen King hates the unfaithfulness of The Shining and praises the horrible faithful miniseries. I remember reading that Stanley would incessantly ring Stephen without concern for England/US time differences and get him to try and logically explain the supernatural. That might have something to do with the resentment.

In fairness to King, it's been reported that Kubrick had basically no respect for the book at all, and the finished film certainly seems to support that notion. If you removed the wonderfully creepy score it wouldn't even be a horror movie. More of a psychological drama/thriller with a little bit of psychic weirdness and a few minutes of ghost stuff grudgingly tacked on the end.

I haven't seen the miniseries, but the quality of any film based on King's work is inversely proportional to his level of involvement in the film's production*, so I'm just going to take your word on that one.

*See also: Maximum Overdrive

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

it's been reported that Kubrick had basically no respect for the book at all

Good. My favorite movie might not have worked out as well if he did.

e: Hows about them comics?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 8, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

You're probably right on average, but it also got us Starship Troopers.

Rules do not apply to Verhoeven.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

Rules do not apply to Verhoeven.

That argument didn't work when Roman Polanski tried it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Lurdiak posted:

That's actually news that makes me the opposite of interested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/06/28/yabba-dabba-reboot-satire-is-sharp-enough-to-cut-rocks-in-dc-comics-debut-of-the-flintstones posted:

DC COMICS reached out with a mission for Mark Russell. How would he like to write a reboot of “The Flintstones”?

His prompt reply: “I kind of hate ‘The Flintstones.’ ”

The DC editors’ response: They liked his humorous take for his award-winning comic “Prez,” so his distaste for the old animated Hanna-Barbera TV show was not a dealbreaker.

“So I knew from the beginning,” Russell tells The Post’s Comic Riffs, “that it would be a satiric, edgy response to ‘The Flintstones.’ ”

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

That argument didn't work when Roman Polanski tried it.

He's still at largework tho

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, this is what Russell is working on instead of doing the second half of Prez?

Goddammit now I hate the Flinstones too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, this is what Russell is working on instead of doing the second half of Prez?

Goddammit now I hate the Flinstones too.
You know writers can write more than one comic at a time, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know; I'm just annoyed about how long it's been since the last issue of Prez.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know; I'm just annoyed about how long it's been since the last issue of Prez.

Didn't it get cancelled or put on indefinite hiatus due to lack of sales?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

team overhead smash posted:

Didn't it get cancelled or put on indefinite hiatus due to lack of sales?
DC has stated that it's committed to giving it a (12?) Issue, two arc publication schedule. The first arc is done, and even though DCYou crashed spectacularly, they say they're going to finish what they started since its a fan darling.

It'll probably do pretty well in trades for a few years but be kind of a hidden gem. Kind of like NYX.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They also said they were going to wait until it becomes a bit more relevant around election time, so it's a conscious decision not to put any out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Totally Awesome Hulk #8: So if you haven't been keeping up with recent Marvel news, Amadeus Cho is the Hulk now. The reason is... well, you know, here's a recap page.

ANYWAY, Amadeus has been handling the Hulk thing pretty well, but has recently been losing control more and more, experiencing blackouts where he goes all "HULK SMASH" and, as She-Hulk notes, referring to his Hulk side as a separate entity. So to help him get a grip, they track down a pro at handling Hulk-ism, Bruce Banner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last two issues of TAH have been wonderful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize they got Alan Davis to draw after Cho wasn't able to keep up. Might have to check TAH out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't realize they got Alan Davis to draw after Cho wasn't able to keep up. Might have to check TAH out.

I doubt Cho was ever planning to stay long term. 5 issues seems to be his limit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I doubt Cho was ever planning to stay long term. 5 issues seems to be his limit.

As much as I liked all the stuff we got after, I was a little dissapointed that Savage Wolverine wasn't a Cho helmed ongoing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pass that torch. I'm old, white, and angry. Be better than me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I like how Marvel's at least trying to pass the torch and get some legacy characters going on. I don't mind that we have effectively doubled up on a lot of heroes either. We have the old classics around (Tony, Steve, Bruce, Carol, Logan, Thor and Peter) but we have the new guys coming in and taking over the mantles if nothing else (Riri, Sam, Amadeus, Kamala, Laura, Jane and Miles). Or at least sharing the spotlight.

I know not all of these will stick around as the permanent versions of the heroes, but they are giving it a chance.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It didn't come off as passing the torch to me, more like admitting that this is temporary. Amadeus doesn't have the issues Bruce has, he doesn't have the anger which means he doesn't have the fuel. Bruce comes out on top when he fights with other Hulks because of a bottomless pit of rage that no other Hulk can match, a pit Amadeus doesn't have so when they need a Hulk in the game that nobody can stop Bruce is the monster they need.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SirDan3k posted:

It didn't come off as passing the torch to me, more like admitting that this is temporary.

Yeah, by having the OGs hang around, you give creators/readers an excuse not to go all in on the new characters. There's always the possibility of the original character that's always in the background to take back the name.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think it's already a given that this won't last, since in the new Civil War Part 2 Inhuman Boogaloo, they predict that the Hulk is gonna go murdercrazy and everyone shows up on Banner's doorstep.

Spoilered just in case.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Probably got posted before but talking about Doom Patrol in the chat thread got me thinking about a moment that has always stuck with me.

Doom Patrol Vol. 2 #19

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Cliff and Jane's romance may be one of the most genuine and real feeling ones I've ever seen in comics, and feels deeply personal, even if it isn't. (I don't want to know either way) Here's these two deeply, deeply, damaged people who find each other as the only ones with any sort of modicum of emotional stability or safety in each other's lives, and very slowly, and very gently, find themselves becoming a couple. They both need each other, but they don't want each other to need themselves, and they clearly have foregone any real expectations of each other for it. It's really an incredibly beautiful thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Choco1980 posted:

Cliff and Jane's romance may be one of the most genuine and real feeling ones I've ever seen in comics, and feels deeply personal, even if it isn't. (I don't want to know either way) Here's these two deeply, deeply, damaged people who find each other as the only ones with any sort of modicum of emotional stability or safety in each other's lives, and very slowly, and very gently, find themselves becoming a couple. They both need each other, but they don't want each other to need themselves, and they clearly have foregone any real expectations of each other for it. It's really an incredibly beautiful thing.

Is it really a romance? I would say it's more a friendship.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well, for various reasons it's not a sexual one, but it's definitely a romantic relationship. They even move in together at one point. I really really like it because it's not a cookie cutter movie style relationship, but one a lot more quiet and gentle.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
When we last left our heroes in More Than Meets The Eye, they had received a super duper power up to help them in one last flailing charge against completely insurmountable odds. It didn't work, and it didn't work out for poor Ravage

Fast forward to the conclusion and, well, Mr Roberts does it again

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I recall a comic where Ravage tried to kick his rear end for switching sides the first time to the Autobots, they were both in a cell. :unsmith: Glad to see he came to like the new Megatron, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who knew I'd get misty eyed over Ravage dying. I really thought they'd do something to save him at the last minute.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A little kitty wheelchair.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This seems to be Ravage's fate across multiple universes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBaGES17Cy0&t=117s

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What 's the significance of the blue dude?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pureauthor posted:

The dead cat-bot used to live in his chest.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont judge alien robot relationships man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98zP_SWaylo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

That's Soundwave. He's linked to a lot of lil Transformers who turn into storage units/tapes that he carries around inside him. Ravage, the panther dude that died, is one of them.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know, after debating for a while I decided "gently caress it, I'll post Mooncomix* if I want to"

Backstory, Eyeshield 21 is about a bunch Japanese teens playing high-school football, and they're gearing up for the Autumn Tournament. Yukimitsu is a nerdy guy who's spent his whole life glued to a desk, but ever since he joined the team he's pushed himself harder than any other player. Every time the team practices, he's the first one there and the last one to leave. Despite his efforts, he's a perennial benchwarmer, and has just been told that he's not going to be on the lineup for the tournament.

*Mooncomix means that you read right-to-left in superior Nippon style.

Eyeshield 21, Chapter 90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Vision #10

Previously in The Vision, The Avengers sent a spy to infiltrate Vision's troubling suburban life with his invented family, and Vision's son, Vin, got destroyed discovering this.