Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, I unpacked the mod and took a look at the readme file, and it turns out you're supposed to alter the .ini file.

The reason why there are two different data directories is because 'Binocular Shape' is a separate version that lets you retain the cutout shape from the zoom.

I added the line to all three .ini files, but it did no good, so I think I'm going to give up on it.

If you're using MO then you wanna add it to the MO inis, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yep. MO uses its own .ini files for each profile.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The Better Binoculars one's confusing, though since there's two DATA folders listed (one listed under '<data'>, and another listed under the 'Binoculars Shapes' directory), and I can't figure out how to merge them so that they work properly. Either it applies the extra zoom without the binocular shape, or it flat out doesn't work. If I can't get it work, that's fine. I'm just worried I'll run into the problem again with something else.
New Vegas predates ModOrganizer and the vast majority of mods were simply never setup to work with it. Some do have FOMM installers, but these often weren't coded properly and don't work or want to do something MO doesn't quite understand.
General advice: Always download the mod manually and check the readme file for install instructions.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Apoplexy posted:

Yep. MO uses its own .ini files for each profile.

Ha, I tried reinstalling the mod and altered the .ini files through MO and it finally worked. Thank you.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Does MO handle archive invalidation? I tried using it a while back but kept getting those messed up textures.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yep. Profile options, Automatic Archive Invalidation.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Don't forget to bop over to the Archives tab on the right-hand side and make sure tha mo is handling BSAs and that they're all checked.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And don't forget that you should DISABLE MO Archive Handling for FNVLODGen. For some weird reason. Then re-enable it after you're done building your LOD.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hey, Goons who know anything about LPAM: What happens if I use LPAM with the body meshes/textures of Roberts and Type 3? I'm guessing/know that LPAM is built for Vanilla, so the question is, what happens when I first encounter an LPAM-added armor-wearing NPC? Has anyone tried using the combination before and can say it works okay?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't forget to bop over to the Archives tab on the right-hand side and make sure tha mo is handling BSAs and that they're all checked.
Checking mods in the left pane determines if those mods are being loaded or not. Once a mod shows up in the right pane, MO presents it to to the game.

What checking a BSA under the archives tab does is having MO treat the contents of that archive as loose files.
This means that their priority is determined by the installation order in MO, and not the corresponding plugin's loadorder position. Normally the order in which the game loads its assets is BSAs first, in order of the plugins' loadorder. Then loose files. MO's system allows you to have the contents of a BSA from one mod, override the loose files from another mod without having to unpack that BSA.
Also it allows the contents of the BSA to be loaded, without the needs of a dummy plugin which can help people struggling with the plugin limit.

Apoplexy posted:

Hey, Goons who know anything about LPAM: What happens if I use LPAM with the body meshes/textures of Roberts and Type 3? I'm guessing/know that LPAM is built for Vanilla, so the question is, what happens when I first encounter an LPAM-added armor-wearing NPC? Has anyone tried using the combination before and can say it works okay?
I haven't tried it, but it should work fine without any real problem.
What you will probably get people's bodies "morphing" when they change outfits. For example a dress from LPAM that was shaped to the vanilla body could have smaller breasts then a Type3 dress.
Also another potential issue to look out for is texture compatibility. To keep using the dress example: The game uses the naked body texture for the part of the body that the dress doesn't cover. If Type3 overrides that texture, it's possible that outfits that weren't made for Type3 won't look quite right and you'll have nipples peeping out of the dress.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kumaton posted:

If you get an error message that you data folders aren't on top when you're about to install a mod, you just have to click-n-drag the files it shows in the window up to the big ">data" header at the top. Ideally, if it shows a folder called "Data" under that, you'll just open up the folder in the window and drag all of it's contents, such as Meshes, Textures, and Sounds files, along with any .esms and .esps to the ">data" folder.
You don't need to drag things around unless the author was really dumb about how the mod is packaged (like that binoculars one):

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao look what fuckin Bethesda did now. Remember Autumn Leaves and how good it is? They do!

quote:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/fallout-4-far-harbor-dlc-contains-quest-stolen-from-codexer-developed-new-vegas-mod.109879/

Autumn Leaves is a DLC-sized quest mod for Fallout: New Vegas developed by BaronVonChateau, who you may know on the Codex as Chateaubryan. By all accounts it's an excellent mod, taking inspiration from classics such as Planescape: Torment and proudly upholding Codexian design values such as choice & consequence and skill checks. Hell, it even has a Cleve Blakemore reference. Unfortunately, coming out only weeks before the release of Fallout 4, Autumn Leaves was overlooked by many players. Somebody at Bethesda must have noticed it, though...because it turns out they shamelessly plagiarized it for their recent Far Harbor DLC. And I don't just mean that they took inspiration. Take a look at Chateaubryan's comparison at Mod DB:

A few weeks before Fallout 4’s release, Autumn Leaves, a Fallout : New Vegas Mod was published on Moddb and the Nexus. It featured a colorful cast of excentric robots, in charge of a forgotten Vault where a strange murder happened. Sounds familiar ?

Maybe, to those who played Far Harbor’s “Brain Dead.”​

First off, both quests begins with a discussion through an interphone with the caretaker of the Vault, a headwaiter robot with a rather distinguished persona. The big mandatory Vault Door opens, leaving the player up for the exploration of said vault.

The main quest itself, which consists in investigating the murder by checking the crime scene, and speaking to every robot in the Vault.

The mysterious death of the prime financier of the Vault, who - in both cases - worked alongside Vault-Tec to build the special place.

The importance of voice modulators in the plot, to distinguish the robots between themselves.

The sexytime moment.

And of course, the mandatory “Let’s discuss paintings with a robot.”

Then, there’s the Neural Interface Matrix in BD versus the Neuro Comp Matrix in AL, the presence (and relevance to the plot) of a robotic expert in the Vault, the feel of the central atrium, the quasi-exclusive robotic cast confronted to a murder, the misleading piece of evidence (Keith/Rolland), among others.​

The Codex has always talked about how Bethesda are creatively bankrupt, but this is a new low. So what can be done? Bethesda are probably legally within their rights doing this. I say they should be publicly shamed into extending credit to Chateaubryan...but that would take a louder megaphone than ours. Ultimately, all I can do is recommend that you download and play Autumn Leaves. And not Fallout 4.

The creator wrote about it over on moddb as well.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 15, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That's beat for beat the same plot. That's pretty hosed up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Grapplejack posted:

That's beat for beat the same plot. That's pretty hosed up.

They really need to hire a writer.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao look what fuckin Bethesda did now. Remember Autumn Leaves and how good it is? They do!

Yep I called this weeks ago-- the vault under the hotel in Far Harbor is a cheap knockoff of Autumn Leaves. Which is really sad because Autumn Leaves was made and voiced by one guy who isn't even a native English speaker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yep I called this weeks ago-- the vault under the hotel in Far Harbor is a cheap knockoff of Autumn Leaves. Which is really sad because Autumn Leaves was made and voiced by one guy who isn't even a native English speaker.

Autumn Leaves actually got a few good voice actors to do all the stuff, which is one of the reasons it's so good: it's the only mod that matches the vanilla game and DLCs in script and voice acting quality.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Wow. That is incredibly lovely. Bethesda is trying to beat Bioware's record in burning through all the good will they've built up in the past.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/753683030682832897
http://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/753690408501194752

lmao this guy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ah yes, engaging with fans on Twitter by sniping back at them, the hallmark of professional games developers. That's not how you do it, Bethesda. You respond to harassment by dropping a truth bomb and then not responding further. Then again, they might need to hire someone with writing talent to pull that off.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That seems about what I'd expect from the lead writer on Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Why wouldn't you just say "I talked to the creator of that quest and he told me he was unaware of that mod and therefore not inspired by it. So it's just a coincidence. Thanks for bringing the similarity to our attention, and get ready for vault-tec dlc on the 26th!"

Is Pete Hines brain damaged?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Considering how garbage the writing is in F4 as a whole, yeah.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Why wouldn't you just say "I talked to the creator of that quest and he told me he was unaware of that mod and therefore not inspired by it. So it's just a coincidence. Thanks for bringing the similarity to our attention, and get ready for vault-tec dlc on the 26th!"

Is Pete Hines brain damaged?
yes. He's a real mystery because Bethesda obviously have great marketing but he's been in his position since at least Morrowind and I've never seen him be anything other than incredibly petty, alarmingly unstable and vaguely borderline

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
A friend of mine pointed out the GECK (and Skyrim Creation Kit) EULA actually sneaks in permission for them to do that:

quote:

You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit.

Still lovely obviously, but what are ya gonna do

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I guess Hines reflexively turned on circle-the-wagons mode due to people yelling and accusing Bethesda of theft. But this is such a weird hill to die on. It's not like Bethesda being "inspired" by mods is anything new. Oh, hello there Hearthfire DLC. That Build Your Own House mod is certainly neat, right?
But just spin it to Bethesda looking at the community for cool ideas to implement. Or something. I mean, there were a couple of weirdos who were yelling that Bethesda & Obsidian stole from antistar. But overal the reaction F:NV weapon modding was positive. I think partly because Obsidian was completely upfront about them looking at mods for ideas.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think mods that make system changes can be compared with quest mods, to be honest.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think mods that make system changes can be compared with quest mods, to be honest.
I don't know. If the DLC quest just shared the same basic concept as Autumn Leaves, I think more people would have been fine with it. It's all the little details being the same that pushes it into shameless-copy territory.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Monicro posted:

A friend of mine pointed out the GECK (and Skyrim Creation Kit) EULA actually sneaks in permission for them to do that:

EULAs aren't legally binding at all, but yeah, I really doubt there's any legal recourse available :shrug:

There's maybe an argument to be made under inalienable moral rights, especially since the author is European, which could get interesting, but it doesn't sound like he's going to do it and it would probably be difficult since ultimately it was still made in Bethesda's toolkit with Bethesda's assets.

It's a moot point I guess, it's more about the moral shittiness of it than anything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Monicro posted:

Buy Fallout 5 at the lowest discounted price or only play the eventual MMO without ever buying anything from the in game store.

Or pre-order the next Obsidian hired produced one when hell freezes over. Whatever happens first!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 15, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Wasn't Automata just RobCo Certified with the serial numbers filed off? I don't remember that getting this amount of flack.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
There was also the fact that a lot of new features of FO4 (grenade hotkey, reflex crosshair, settlement building) were taken from different Fallout 3/New Vegas mods. Hell, most of the new additions to the soundtrack were previously featured in radio expander mods.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 15, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think anyone really cares about game features being added, especially when these features are often mods precisely because players want them. But stealing the storyline from quest mods is a step beyond that, as you're now taking someone else's artistic creation and plagiarizing it for your own. It's like when Hot Topic began selling shirts with stolen DeviantArt fanart: yes, the fanart was technically a derivative work and therefore not "ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL". Yes, it's also incredibly lovely to plagiarize it and charge people for it when the original artist put it up for free.

Bethesda crossed a line by taking someone else's original storyline that was given out for free and charging people for it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Raygereio posted:

But just spin it to Bethesda looking at the community for cool ideas to implement. Or something. I mean, there were a couple of weirdos who were yelling that Bethesda & Obsidian stole from antistar. But overal the reaction F:NV weapon modding was positive. I think partly because Obsidian was completely upfront about them looking at mods for ideas.
That's why when Naky added a Panzershreck to The Armory :rip: we all had a good guffaw when rope kid added the Panzershreck-esque with blast shield Esther with GRA

Bethesda really should just not pretend to be above this sort of thing.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Paid mods are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously all the f4 dlcs are ripping the gently caress outa nexus mods

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm down with them adapting and being open about being inspired by other peoples mods for their games.

I just am really puzzled at the utter lack of creativity of things. Modders pretty much told you what new features/improvements are needed. You have plenty of time to experiment and be more creative!

I'm still bemused that Nuka World will be a thing, despite a Fallout 4 mod quest based in an abandoned Theme Park that has been kicking around post Fallout 4 release.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm down with them adapting and being open about being inspired by other peoples mods for their games.

I just am really puzzled at the utter lack of creativity of things. Modders pretty much told you what new features/improvements are needed. You have plenty of time to experiment and be more creative!

I'm still bemused that Nuka World will be a thing, despite a Fallout 4 mod quest based in an abandoned Theme Park that has been kicking around post Fallout 4 release.

Next DLC will be Commonwealth Bounties: The Hunt For Magistrate Richter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kotaku have weighed in to explain that some other murder mystery stories have also been written in the past and some of them have robots in them therefore it is illegal to suggest Bethesda may have ripped anyone off. Thank u kotku

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Kotaku have weighed in to explain that some other murder mystery stories have also been written in the past and some of them have robots in them therefore it is illegal to suggest Bethesda may have ripped anyone off. Thank u kotku

I love it. "Yes, both of these quests involve the player being asked by a robot to interpret a painting. But the robots aren't exactly the same! It's a coincidence!"

Like the guy is trying to examine every single individual element and prove that it's been used in fiction before. Like, we know buddy. What matters is the whole. It's like saying someone didn't plagiarize a song because all of the chords in the songs have been played in the past.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The article is kind of snide to the modder himself as well, saying he's "accusing" them when he pointed out some similarities, then said he was mainly making the post to draw attention to his mod and specifically said the quest in Far Harbour has "entirely different themes, different writing, different plot, different music (!) different voice acting (!!)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kotaku is still a thing?