Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

IncendiaC posted:

Also, at what point do y'all start finding 'mons in the mid-hundreds? I haven't played too much due to the servers (level 7 atm) but my highest 'mon is only a CP260 Golbat from evolving, and the gyms I'm seeing are all at the 500-600s. Does it scale with player level or something?

At level 14 today it felt like the things I was catching were starting to get beefy. I caught maybe 6 growlithes and 4 ryhorn all above 400cp, a 740cp arcanine, and a handful of misc stuff in the 500-600ish range. And its pretty easy to turn a 220cp zubat into a 600cp crobat (similarly mankey, ekans, etc. that are everywhere by the dozen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Seems my house is in the middle of a Drowzee infested area. I always catch at least three whenever I step out the door. Sitting on two level 600+ Hypno's atm due to all the candy.

Also managed to catch a level 290 Dratini down by the docks on my last trip
This game is more fun than I had expected.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Would I be right in guessing that lounging in the mountains will net me a bunch of rock types? Also that ice types will spawn in the winter?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Played the game for like 2 hours on my work commute and out of like 5 potential Pokemon captures, a resounding gently caress-all of them counted due to the game crashing everytime I caught one. This is annoying enough because everytime the game crashes you have to reload the app and this game has the single longest boot time of any mobile game I've ever seen, it's doubly annoying because then I just can't get back into the game at all since the servers are so poo poo, and then it's triply annoying because my catches don't loving count

i have no idea how i've managed to reach level 3 like this with the game just killing itself nearly everytime I try and catch something

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just caught a male and female nidoran less then a thousand feet apart :3:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Part of being an adult is setting goals and having priorities. If I have to pay a cover to challenge this gym, so be it.

I don't think they like people goofing around on their phones though so I might have to be sneaky.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
My workplace must have been built after the scans for whatever map data they use. I get to spend hours in a field of pokemon. Caught a geodude on my break, pretty awesome.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Downloaded this and it gives me the don't get eaten by a gyarados screen then goes blank and eventually crashes. A+ would download again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Servers seem to be down, again

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Valor has the sexiest silhouette.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Servers back up, seems you start getting Great Balls on level 12.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found this amazing pokemon on my walk today

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Gyms seem pretty pointless right now, the minute your teammate puts a garbage Pokemon in people can farm it and then retreat until the gym loses enough points to be down to one and then zerg it with crap Pokemon anyway. I feel like you should only be able to go 1:1 for every Pokemon in the gym, especially considering this game is unlike the normal games in every other way.

also

Akumos fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 9, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Today whenever I go to a different app or lock my phone, the app says "GPS signal not found." Is it still counting steps for my eggs if it can't find GPS?

Also does anyone get notifications when the app is in sleep? Mine only vibrates when it's open.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Unmature posted:

Today whenever I go to a different app or lock my phone, the app says "GPS signal not found." Is it still counting steps for my eggs if it can't find GPS?

Also does anyone get notifications when the app is in sleep? Mine only vibrates when it's open.

The game doesn't work if it's in sleep mode. It's kind of insane because of how much damage it does to your battery that way. There's a "battery saver" mode but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, and you still can't put the app in sleep.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

tentawesome posted:

The game doesn't work if it's in sleep mode. It's kind of insane because of how much damage it does to your battery that way. There's a "battery saver" mode but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, and you still can't put the app in sleep.

Really? I'm pretty sure it's counted my steps for eggs while in sleep.

EDIT: Softer language because who knows how the gently caress this game works yet.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 9, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It may be using a heuristic to assign steps once you wake the phone up. Insanely I think nothing works in sleep mode.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Doesn't rotate, which is a huge problem floor people like me with a broken screen corner. Welp, might as well uninstall

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Don't worry guys, I've got the gym next to my apartment covered.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Battery saver mode usually makes the game freeze up after a few minutes for me.

Went to a pier yesterday and caught a ton of Tentacools and one Vaporeon that escaped three times. I still don't understand the circle mechanic at all.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rlnmc/some_tips_from_my_last_days_playing/

Battery saver mode, the rings and many other Pokemon Go mysteries explained.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So, Lure Modules are kind of crazy. Last night I popped an incense, used a module, and also had a bush in range and pokemon were just popping up every 2 minutes. And that bonus is for everyone? It would be insane to organize a group to use Lures on a cluster of tightly packed stops and just take turns popping on a fresh module.

Also, gently caress you Lame Devil. Dunno how you got that far that fast. I'm about to take Cid through the Botanical Gardens + Prospect Park and make up for lost ground.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hooray, my 1200-person town has three pokestops and two gyms within .5 km of me

god bless germany

edit: only pidgeys and rattatas though, i literally live in pallet town

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Servers back up, seems you start getting Great Balls on level 12.

Third level potions are at level 15.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm visiting my folks who live in the most rural part of the world and I just walked around a 5 mile radius of their house and didn't detect a single mon. I will be forever stuck at level 3 it seems.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm visiting my folks who live in the most rural part of the world and I just walked around a 5 mile radius of their house and didn't detect a single mon. I will be forever stuck at level 3 it seems.

The servers have been really weird for me this morning. Pokestops and Gyms haven't been loading, I haven't seen any Pokemon, and I had an egg hatch, but not register. It must just be server problems and should be fixed at some point.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Of course the servers go down ten seconds after I start my walk.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Zurui posted:

Even in my medium-sized city there are whole square miles without a Pokestop. People tend to congregate in high-volume areas and loot like hell instead of picking off the bones of the suburbs.

That's just going to come down to how active your area was in Ingress back when you could submit portals to that; my city had a super active community for its population and now there are tons of pokestops and gyms here now. I added one right outside my house a couple of years ago and now it's gym in PoGo.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah I'm just north of Boston and even here there are pokestops and gyms everywhere. There's like 15 combined within 5 minutes walking of my apartment.

I also see like 5-10 people playing every time I walk to the train which is a half mile away

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Oil! posted:

The servers have been really weird for me this morning. Pokestops and Gyms haven't been loading, I haven't seen any Pokemon, and I had an egg hatch, but not register. It must just be server problems and should be fixed at some point.

This is my exact problem since I woke up. Went for a walk and no Pokestops, gyms, or pokemon... and had an egg hatch without fanfare.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Earthorn posted:

This is my exact problem since I woke up. Went for a walk and no Pokestops, gyms, or pokemon... and had an egg hatch without fanfare.

Pokestops and pokemon have been working but my egg hatched and gave me a squirtle but I had no idea until I was transferring pokemon and saw him there.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Went for a nice walk round the 6km route in my town's main park hoping to hatch a couple of 5km eggs. Lots of stops and a gym there, but none of them were working. All the stops kept saying "Please try again later" when I spun them even though I'd never used them before. Wandered around the lake hoping for some sweet water pokemon, but apparently it doesn't work like that since none appeared. Was out for about 5 hours and the only mon I got was a Pidgy that was in my garden when I got home.

But at least I got to hatch my ....oh, apparently I only walked 0.2 km during the whole expedition.

I so want to love this game, but practically every feature is broken in some way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Will driving to work count toward egg hatching? Is it actually able to determine if you're walking or in a car? Pokemon can still spawn while driving and you can click on pokestops for items as you drive, as I dangerously found out yesterday.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Macaluso posted:

Will driving to work count toward egg hatching? Is it actually able to determine if you're walking or in a car? Pokemon can still spawn while driving and you can click on pokestops for items as you drive, as I dangerously found out yesterday.

Anything moving over roughly 20mph is not counted as distance moved for eggs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Vegastar posted:

Anything moving over roughly 20mph is not counted as distance moved for eggs.

What a ripoff. Usain Bolt will never hatch his Pokemon eggs now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jassa posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rlnmc/some_tips_from_my_last_days_playing/

Battery saver mode, the rings and many other Pokemon Go mysteries explained.

Has anyone actually shown that fully powering up before evolving makes a difference? This guy and many others say it doesn't

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm loving the emergent gameplay that this game is spinning up. I took the gym at the end of my block on Thursday. When I'm about to go to bed last night, I see the gym's taken over by 2 yellows. I was going to take a walk today and take it back, but now it's taken back by 3 blues. That means it's training time and I can level up my neighborhood to a super gym!

The gym at my workplace is under nonstop assault too. It went from red to blue to yellow, just in the span of about 3 hours.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 9, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Oil! posted:

I've had this happen and so far restarting the app has have fixed it. None of the pokemon distance updates and stops won't load, but the UI and GPS still works so it's hard to tell that the other stuff is broken.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Germstore posted:

I've had this happen and so far restarting the app has have fixed it. None of the pokemon distance updates and stops won't load, but the UI and GPS still works so it's hard to tell that the other stuff is broken.

I've restarted, reinstalled, reset the phone's location-- and I still get an accurate map with no pokemon, pokestops, or gyms. I also can't transfer any pokemon or access the store.

Today I can load quickly and without fail, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I'm going to go around today to my local gyms and see if I can drop my pokemon in there to rake in those sweet Defender bonuses. I've got plenty of candy for powering stuff up, I just need the drat stardust.

• Locked thread