Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Programming note: the women's final between Serena and Kerber ends at 0948 Eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

runoverbobby posted:

Programming note: the women's final between Serena and Kerber ends at 0948 Eastern.

gently caress I clicked the next page thinking "so gonna make a 50 minute match joke"

bastard

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Williams-Kerber will be closer than Murray-Raonic.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

prepare for the wimbleon championship final at the club of all england

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
It is looking real windy today. That seems like it's going to be very significant.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Wind never stops Who Wants It More. The only thing that stops Who Wants It More is the Crowd Factor.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

and gluten

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

runoverbobby posted:

Wind never stops Who Wants It More. The only thing that stops Who Wants It More is the Crowd Factor.

ah yes the call of the analyst who has run out of analysis

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

kerber's serving is hurting her here

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Puckish Rogue posted:

kerber's serving is hurting her here
Looks like she wanted it more though

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Looks like she wanted it more though

Crowd Factor imo

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Kerber is hanging in there somehow.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

Kerber is hanging in there somehow.

she Wants It and also this is Part Of The Plan.

it remains to be seen if Serena's Plan Wants It More. That, is the beauty of tennis

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
That rally was cool

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL at Jay-Z and Beyonce in Serena's box.

I can only imagine how much Tumblr is slay queening.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

cheeky point

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if kerber can keep these extended points going on she will take it in an ugly three set match. she has to get serena tired and missing her first serves, otherwise she is done.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Kerber... no...

Kangra
May 7, 2012

As much as I'd like to see it prolonged, I think this match is over now.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Ok, time for a Serena letdown in the 2nd set. Kerber wins in 3 again :buddy:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

"Facing break point on my serve? Hm...." *ace, ace, good rally* - S. Williams

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Well that's probably that :(

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

welp,

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Well done Serena.

The score looks routine but Kerber gave as much as she could. Nothing she could do about Serena's serve.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Serena probably on a first name basis with the duke at this point

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That was a good match. Serena was on her game and Kerber was able to match her for most of it, some of those long rallies were crazy good. Kerber actually reminds me a lot of Murray with her defensive baseline play, getting to shots she's got no right to get to and keeping them in play. I think if she can keep up this level she'll win a few more slams over the next couple of years, there's not a lot of other competition in the women's game at the moment.

Congrats Serena on #22.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
All in all a pretty quality final. It went quick, though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Heard Serena won the super bowl of tennis tournaments. Confirm? Deny?

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Heard Serena won the super bowl of tennis tournaments. Confirm? Deny?

she got her 22nd ring, no doubt

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Didn't really have a preference for who won, but really wanted it to go to 3 sets because the quality was outstanding. Some of those points were crazy.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
So, we have a brit in the mixed doubles final tomorrow; it'll be interesting to see how the beeb handle it, they might not run the wimbleon credits as soon as the men's final ends and actually acknowledge that the doubles exists.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mastigophoran posted:

So, we have a brit in the mixed doubles final tomorrow; it'll be interesting to see how the beeb handle it, they might not run the wimbleon credits as soon as the men's final ends and actually acknowledge that the doubles exists.

Jonathan Marray played in the 2012 men's doubles final (and won), and I think they ran the credits then, so I wouldn't hold out much hope. It did get a bit more coverage than normal, though.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Well, men's doubles is usually on the Saturday right?

Also the ladies doubles final is on now and full of juice and people should watch it if they're not. A lot of Deuce games and break points both ways.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I want to like doubles but whenever I've watched it I can't really understand where they're trying to place the ball or what sort of shots they're attempting to set up. To my uneducated brain it just looks like a clusterfuck of overheads and good volleys until someone hits a poo poo volley into the net.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

runoverbobby posted:

I want to like doubles but whenever I've watched it I can't really understand where they're trying to place the ball or what sort of shots they're attempting to set up. To my uneducated brain it just looks like a clusterfuck of overheads and good volleys until someone hits a poo poo volley into the net.

In singles you usually want to hit the ball deep so that it lands near the baseline. In doubles you want to hit the ball low over the net so that the other team's net guy doesn't have a good opportunity to volley the ball at your feet. This means that the serving team has a really big advantage in doubles because serves are obviously a lot harder to handle and any weak returns get crushed unless they're at an extreme cross court angle (which doesn't happen much).

Anyways that's why there's a lot of weird looking setups in doubles, the serving team is trying to keep make the return harder by keeping the returners guessing as to where the net guy is going to be.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

it is now time for the big game of this 2 weeks of tennis in sunny england.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they looked loving miserable

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Going to say Murray in four, but can't decide if Raonic wins the first or the second.

Really hope Andy wins, in any case.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Glare Seethe posted:

Going to say Murray in four, but can't decide if Raonic wins the first or the second.

Really hope Andy wins, in any case.

Murray takes the first, Milos the second, third goes to a tie breaker which Murray steals and then a 6-2/6-3 comfortable fourth set for Murray to win in four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

tanglewood1420 posted:

Murray takes the first, Milos the second, third goes to a tie breaker which Murray steals and then a 6-2/6-3 comfortable fourth set for Murray to win in four.
Yeah this seems pretty sensible.

I wish Andy Murray was more likeable. He's gotten much better. I wish he was Federer likeable.

• Locked thread