Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hopper posted:

I am curious, what's the "advatage" of a smash burger over a normal burger? Aside from not being as thick and thus easier to bite into? More maillard reaction due to more surface area?

Some people just like stacked patties of that crispy crusty beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

I am curious, what's the "advatage" of a smash burger over a normal burger? Aside from not being as thick and thus easier to bite into? More maillard reaction due to more surface area?

It's all about the crust. You would normally eat it as a double because the patties are small. And because they are cooked so quickly (a minute or minute and a half per patty) they stay juicy.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

•If one falls apart when you flip it, put a slice of cheese on it. No one will know.

This is one of the best should-be-obvious tips in the entire thread.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Another good thing for smashin your burgs is a ROUND potato masher, much like one of these:

Mine actually has smaller, round holes so it doesn't mutilate the burg when smashing like this one looks it would, but it sure lets you smash the poo poo out of them easily.

fake edit: also I stick the burg balls in the pan round, let them get a slight crust and them roll+smash, the crust helps it stay together when I'm smashin with that

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Linking this spatula again as burger smasher par excellance: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

Linking this spatula again as burger smasher par excellance: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC

Yep, I use that and with my right hand I'll press down on it with a mason jar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have cast iron lodge weights, so I smash and leave them on so the burger doesn't cup

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hopper posted:

Delicious crust to moist meat ratio.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks for all the tips. Great success! Had 1 double and 1 single then felt like poo poo. Perfect!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just realized how loving involved I've gotten with burgers because of this thread. I feel like every part of my burger now has a trick to pushing it over the edge, which can translate at times to a two-hour prep period. The simpler the burger, the more time. What have I become?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I just realized how loving involved I've gotten with burgers because of this thread. I feel like every part of my burger now has a trick to pushing it over the edge, which can translate at times to a two-hour prep period. The simpler the burger, the more time. What have I become?

A fine lover of the burg

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A burgeoisie

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

I don't think I've ever spent two hours, but I've gotten kinda ridiculous too. Like, I'll fry bacon (and sometimes an egg) then start toasting buns and spreading crushed avocado on them, grating cheese, trying to see how thin I can cut an onion, etc etc. Last month I even did homemade mayo and it was just enough for 4 burgers. That's all I made it for.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i make smash burgs because they're really fast to make and good

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
I'm doing smash burgers tonight for the first time because of this thread. Mark my words, this will end in tears. Delicious, burgy tears.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Manslaughter posted:

A burgeoisie

:chanpop:

I can't overstate how good smashburgs are

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

So... I just got back from the grocery store. Here's the list.

1 1/4 lbs 80/20 ground beef
1/2 lb sliced yellow american cheese
1 lb bacon
green leaf lettuce
Roma tomatoes
white onion
dill pickle chips

I also have some farmers market avocados that I'll throw in the mix because they are at maximum ripeness.

The actual cooking of the smash burgers seems pretty consistent across recipes so I'm not worried about the logistics of the actual cook but I am going to try making the fake shake shack sauce from this recipe:http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/the-fake-shack-shake-shack-burger-recipe.html

Am I on the road to burg Nirvana?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yes, yes you are. Avocados may be a little much on smashburgers (I like to go more minimalist with toppings on them) but it'll be good no matter what.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003

But Not Tonight posted:

Another good thing for smashin your burgs is a ROUND potato masher, much like one of these:

Mine actually has smaller, round holes so it doesn't mutilate the burg when smashing like this one looks it would, but it sure lets you smash the poo poo out of them easily.

fake edit: also I stick the burg balls in the pan round, let them get a slight crust and them roll+smash, the crust helps it stay together when I'm smashin with that

you could always wrap some foil over the smashy part

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

blacquethoven posted:

you could always wrap some foil over the smashy part

Shiny side in, matte side out.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Trip Report: I have been to Burg Nirvana. It was smashed. It was gloriously smashed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Oops, I did it again.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
gently caress that looks good.

Edit: did you manually construct that out of two baconators?

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hopper posted:

Yep. For a given amount of beef you get more crust with smash burgers than with a thicker patty.

Me otoh? I like thick, juicy burgers. It might be heresy, but I even put binders into the meat to keep it juicy. Pitchforks and torches, form an orderly line to the left please.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Elk burger with bacon and roasted New Mexico hatch green chile ground in. Avocado, pepperjack, onion, butter lettuce.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Elk burger with bacon and roasted New Mexico hatch green chile ground in. Avocado, pepperjack, onion, butter lettuce.

Gorgeous picture!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i like all these burgs but why always white onion instead of red?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am in Cardiff atm and ate at a place called The Grazing Shed.
Can't upload a pic but I had a Burger with a patty made from Welsh lamb, still pink on the inside, in a handmade bun with rosemary-garlic mayonnaise, feta cheese, chilli jam, white cole slaw and lettuce.
All made from locally sourced produce.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Hopper posted:

I am in Cardiff atm and ate at a place called The Grazing Shed.

The Welsh like to keep up the stereotypes :)

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Jose posted:

A legit good Q, my only excuse is "this was the only onion I had in the house."

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ogopogo posted:

A legit good Q, my only excuse is "this was the only onion I had in the house."

That's a legit excuse. I LOVE red onion, but I don't buy it too often because it's 3-5x more expensive than regular onions around here and I can use those in pretty much everything. That being said, I've got a red onion now because it's prime prime grilling season.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ron Jeremy posted:

Me otoh? I like thick, juicy burgers. It might be heresy, but I even put binders into the meat to keep it juicy. Pitchforks and torches, form an orderly line to the left please.

If you're cooking it right you don't need god damned mix-ins in your meat for it to be juicy :colbert:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Was starving today so grabbed some McDonalds and it was cool and good. The haloumi they have now is pretty tasty.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

iajanus posted:

Was starving today so grabbed some McDonalds and it was cool and good. The haloumi they have now is pretty tasty.

This post made me realize that the Hardee's/Carl's Jr's Six Dollar Burger (originally called that because it was less than $6) has been rebranded because it is now more than six bux itself.

So this fancy McDonalds burg with haloumi is what, like seven dollars? Eight even maybe?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ultimate Mango posted:

This post made me realize that the Hardee's/Carl's Jr's Six Dollar Burger (originally called that because it was less than $6) has been rebranded because it is now more than six bux itself.

So this fancy McDonalds burg with haloumi is what, like seven dollars? Eight even maybe?

Approximately 10 Australian Dollarydoos

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Moey posted:

gently caress that looks good.

Edit: did you manually construct that out of two baconators?

Nope, the Wendy's near my work will gladly "add a patty" to a Dave's Triple, or (with a bit of difficulty) add a 2 patties to a baconator. Bonus points for giving me 12 strips of bacon.
You da real MVP, Wendy's.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Jose posted:

I like the stronger flavour of white on a burg

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I worked at Hardee's in high school when the 6 dollar burger first came to be. Around here at least it's still around just not on the menu. It's a great burg with red onions and bread&butter pickles.

I still have my shirt from then that says "6 dollar burger. The burger you'd pay 6 dollars for at a nice sit down restaurant" and yeah lol now at everybody at Hardee's being 8.95 practically.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Needed to get my cock flavoured seasoning out again for a basic texas toast burg plus homefries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What flavor profile is that cock seasoning?

• Locked thread