Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Two plazas full of grocery stores, food places, and other businesses, and the only two Pokespots in the area are the combination post office / gas station / burger place and some survey marker that's not even there anymore. Thanks Ingress. :sigh:

I'm still going to have to go out somewhere because I'm just about out of balls and I won't be able to go downtown until late next week, but until then I'm stuck with only what I can walk to. There's a park nearby the same distance away, only issue is that it's right on the edge between suburbs and nothingness and is surrounded by empty lots and streets, and I've never been out that way before. Ah, well, maybe I can camp the survey marker next to the busy street instead since all I have to do is go up and down the sidewalk.

(Can't complain too hard - if the Ingress maps are to be trusted, Fremont Street is hilariously dense with loot spots and a few laps should give me more than enough balls. It's just a matter of getting my transport-less rear end out of the suburbs :v: )

Edit: well this is certainly a way to start a page. take this Growlithe that wandered onto my doorstep this morning. I hope I get a chance to evolve him soon.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Servers are definitely acting weird right now, I'm getting no pokemon spawns in areas that are usually swarmed, so if there's anyone just starting out, it might not be as bad as it seem
Edit: eggs are also not updating.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 9, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

In a week, when 50% of people aren't playing any more, the servers will function flawlessly, just the same as it was with Ingress.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
But will the screen rotate? Tens of thousands of cracked iPhones need to know this answer

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Are pokemon encounters unique to each phone? That is, if two people are in the same area, will they both see the same pokemon on the map or will each phone have different pokemon?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Will incense draw the mons that show up in the nearby tab? Or is it completely random?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Probably already been asked and answered but this thread moves too goddamn fast:

Do lures and incense stack (if you're basically sitting on a poke stop for 30 mins)?

Frankston posted:

Are pokemon encounters unique to each phone? That is, if two people are in the same area, will they both see the same pokemon on the map or will each phone have different pokemon?

We have a bunch of people playing at work and it does seem like two people sitting next to each other will see the same 'mon spawn on their phones at/ around the same time (at least if there's a lure up but also at least sometimes even if there's no lure up). I think they can have different CPs though and possibly different moves.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 9, 2016

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Jeez, some people really throw down cash on this game. I was at Arizona Center in Phoenix last night and there was a yellow team player running around setting all 4 pokestops there with lures for like an hour. It was awesome.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i tracked a gengar down to a footstep but it never appeared :negative:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game seems like it will get people killed

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just got back from testing Go. Thanks to all 20 some thing churches in my neighborhood I got a bunch of Pokestops. Also the neighborhood has a bunch of ditches so water type so up every once in a while like Squirtle, Goldeen and Poliwag. Also a Pinsir was in my backyard

This is what I got so far

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

oddium posted:

This is my own personal nightmare.

Is there any good way to really narrow down what direction you need to head in to catch something? I've found following the footsteps is very hit and miss.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Lawen posted:

Probably already been asked and answered but this thread moves too goddamn fast:

Do lures and incense stack (if you're basically sitting on a poke stop for 30 mins)?

It would make sense that they do. Since you should still get the ~6 spawns from the Incense that only you can see, in addition to the spawns from the lure that everyone can see.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just came back from walking my dog and found an unclaimed gym in a local park that nobody ever uses because the town council built it in the rear end-end of nowhere. It's impossible to see the gym on the world view until you're half-way into the park so hopefully my 10CP Magikarp will be able to hold it down for a while.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Is there a way to heal up your pokes besides potions?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

kuroiXiru posted:

Does anyone else's GPS just, idk, drop, every three minutes or so? On my Moto G, walking around works fine, but as soon as I enter a menu/pokestop/try to catch something, then go back to the world map, there's like a 50% chance that my position stops getting updated. Sometimes a GPS Signal Not Found message pops up, sometimes not.

It's super annoying cause I have to restart the app to fix it every time. Locations is on High Accuracy /w Mock Locations turned off, too.

e: Might be because the game's not out in Europe yet and I'm using the apk, I guess?

Upon further experimentation, the app also crashes. Like a lot. A first-gen Moto G probably can't run this properly.

At least I've got an excuse to finally get a new phone :toot:

oddium posted:

I had this with a Wartortle next to the local shopping mall. Game crashed midway into the battle and by the time I reloaded PoGo it was gone.

On the upside, I found a :psyduck: by the river.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Are there optimal times to use an insence, or is the benefit static? Should I wait to use it until I'm out and about and surrounded by nearby pokemon?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

It owns. I'm pretty sure the thing that's going to bring all the attendant dangers, social unease, etc associated with AR to middle America is this dumb Pokemon game.

Has anybody figured out whether you can reliably find the same Pokemon in the same places every day yet? There's a spot in a local park where Dragonair and Scyther can pop up and I'm wondering if I should make a point of hanging around there all the time. Scyther's my dude.

Baku fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 9, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Camel Camus posted:

I think evolving them will heal them. But, yeah, mostly potions. You can unlock better potions at higher levels, so it isn't so bad.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I genuinely worry that some non-white person is going to do the things that I do in this game (carry a rectangular black thing in your hand, walk in weird patterns, etc) and get shot for it. :(

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 9, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Camel Camus posted:

Powering them up will heal 1hp, evolving them is a full heal. You get potions from a lot of stops though so it is more of a convenience thing.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Five gyms attacked, five 1hp bugs. My local gym is owned by a dude that's level 17 already. This game :negative:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Reik posted:

Are there optimal times to use an insence, or is the benefit static? Should I wait to use it until I'm out and about and surrounded by nearby pokemon?

Other people are saying that it seems to make a whole bunch of Pokemon show up with no real relation to whatever is nearby. As far as optimal times, do not use them at peak hours because if the server crashes you get jack

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The distance pawprints finally worked for me. My boss let me take a break and run outside to catch a Poliwhirl, but I had to wait for her to run out and catch it first.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

zorch posted:

Five gyms attacked, five 1hp bugs. My local gym is owned by a dude that's level 17 already. This game :negative:

Try to sit around a little while when the enemy pokemon should be dead. Sometimes it takes a little while to register (It only seems to happen when the win would knock the enemy trainer out of the gym, so it's probably a server issue). I got a gym that I thought was bugged due to sitting on the screen for like a minute earlier.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Why is every single pokemon that pops up in my apartment a Drowzee?

I'm only level 6 and I already have a 400-something CP Hypno. :wtf:

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Finally got my Google trainer up to speed after giving up on my PTC account and all the local gyms seem to be overrun by filthy blues. Do I abandon my principles to have a defensible home base or do I stick it out, banging my head against an indomitable blue wall?

Nill fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 9, 2016

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Guess I'm going to be visiting the Air Force Museum today...

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Nephzinho posted:

So, Lure Modules are kind of crazy. Last night I popped an incense, used a module, and also had a bush in range and pokemon were just popping up every 2 minutes. And that bonus is for everyone? It would be insane to organize a group to use Lures on a cluster of tightly packed stops and just take turns popping on a fresh module.

Also, gently caress you Lame Devil. Dunno how you got that far that fast. I'm about to take Cid through the Botanical Gardens + Prospect Park and make up for lost ground.

It looks like there are 5 poke stops and a gym all in range of each other at the Metropolitan. Going to check it out today.

Also Golduck is a monster.

Edit: spent about an hour this morning tracking down a Seadra in Central Park. Never found it but picked up another dratini and an electabuzz in the process.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
It takes 400 Magikarp candy to evolve a Gyrados? :wtc:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

What's this map from?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What's this map from?

Psure that's Ingress.

https://www.ingress.com/intel

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Lame Devil posted:

It looks like there are 5 poke stops and a gym all in range of each other at the Metropolitan. Going to check it out today.

Also Golduck is a monster.

Edit: spent about an hour this morning tracking down a Seadra in Central Park. Never found it but picked up another dratini and an electabuzz in the process.

Caught a Psyduck in Chinatown earlier and took part in my first gym battle in Tribeca. It was pretty wild because as I was leaving a few people showed up all standing in one place clearing trying to take the gym back over. Really interesting to see from a people watching point of view. I've just been playing while running errands and I'm really surprised how much more active this stupid thing is forcing me to be without even really noticing it. Also hatched a Geodude which is awesome.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

squidgee posted:

It takes 400 Magikarp candy to evolve a Gyrados? :wtc:

owns

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Wait gently caress that's Wright Patterson. Holy poo poo I know what I'm doing today.

EDIT: Wright State also has a poo poo ton of stops, assuming these translate to Poke Stops.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is there a gym at the NJ governor's mansion? We need to make it a goon project to take it over and put a Snorlax in there.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i am literally going to go to downtown to grab a beer and walk around playing pokemon go

i am a grown rear end man

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just hit level 5. Does it matter which team I join?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What's this map from?
Ingress, Niantic's other game.
There's a Web based map (and map apps too) but you need to install the game and make an account to access them. The relation isn't exactly 1:1 though that area will still have a ton of stops and gyms since both games use the same location data.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No, aside from the fact that Mystic is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes. Join Blue.

• Locked thread