Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm sorry, I'm sure this gets asked a lot but I'm going to be playing this in the next few days and am a big fan of the previous games. I want to go into this really blind but I have heard basic things about the games length.

I havn't been able to get a straight answer on this but well, Witcher 2's plot is designed so the player has to do two playthroughs to get both sides of the story. It's really cool that way and I always fail convincing people just how important it is to do the other side of the campaign.

So then we have this giant game with all this content. I hear a lot of people saying you have no life plaything this twice and stuff but man they dont even know.
Is this game's plot set up like Witcher 2 in that regard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You get all of the plot from one run.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm sorry, I'm sure this gets asked a lot but I'm going to be playing this in the next few days and am a big fan of the previous games. I want to go into this really blind but I have heard basic things about the games length.

I havn't been able to get a straight answer on this but well, Witcher 2's plot is designed so the player has to do two playthroughs to get both sides of the story. It's really cool that way and I always fail convincing people just how important it is to do the other side of the campaign.

So then we have this giant game with all this content. I hear a lot of people saying you have no life plaything this twice and stuff but man they dont even know.

Nope, and Witcher 2's choices barely matter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No. But I'm in my second playthrough (over a year after the first okay? :colbert: ) and I'm still finding places I'd never been.

There are naturally some quest outcomes you may want to explore but nothing like the forked plot of witcher 2.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 9, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Witcher 2 was pretty fantastic with regards to its divided plotline, and I set up a savegame right before the branch and played it through once I beat the game my preferred way. drat that was cool.

Witcher 3 was loving amazing. I loved my bittersweet vanilla ending. It was such a gut-punch, but still drat good. Witcher 3 is too drat big though. I know I'm missing out on probably some pretty amusing side-quests but I just can't be arsed to do EVERY-loving-ONE (i've done most of them, though. Not many gwent or monster/scavenger hunt ones, though). It's pretty ridiculous.

And CDPr says Cyberpunk is going to be even larger. :ohdear: :unsmigghh::hf::smithicide:

I just finished Heart of Stone...thought it was kinda meh overall. Neat idea, though. The Blood and Wine one seems a LOT more interesting, having basically just started it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 9, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blood and Wine is closer to Skellige in scope if not in size. Same very involved plotline in a central location with a lot of sidequesting in unimportant areas.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

cubicle gangster posted:

Im playing on ps4...

Change your TV's colour scheme?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Just killed a fiend 20 levels above me. Everybody playing B&W or NG+ should get Euphoria. :feelsgood:

Get high, kill stuff. That's the real witcher code. :birddrugs:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Get high, kill stuff. That's the real witcher code. :birddrugs:

Then cut bits out of what you just killed and use it to get high.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Change your TV's colour scheme?

Ive been tempted to, but this is the only thing with any issues. I often do color proofing for work so I've calibrated every screen in my home using the same things we use in the office, I know it's not the fault of the screen. It's just since blood and wine that looks like this. I'll have to travel back to regular w Witcher 3 areas to see if they're as I remember or not.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Roach

Girl practicing her shifting powers

For some reason, Iris no longer has damage numbers. All the inventory weapon comparisons also treat it as though it has 0 damage

Actually had my open gameworld "drat, I hope I can actually go there" moment.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

TW3 is huge, I'm now 50 hours in and haven't started the second act yet. I have broken a bunch of sidequests by stumbling into the middle of it (like Morvudd or the Royal Wyvern) and then showing up to the quest giver who acts like we had a nice chat beforehand. But most of that is sidequest, with the exception of the really long quest chain in Novigrad Act 1.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Xander77 posted:

Roach

Girl practicing her shifting powers

For some reason, Iris no longer has damage numbers. All the inventory weapon comparisons also treat it as though it has 0 damage

Actually had my open gameworld "drat, I hope I can actually go there" moment.

Are you trying to find every bug possible or something? I encountered one bug in all 100+ hours of gameplay.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Man, the way finale of "Wine Wars" was framed:

I was all prepared for the pair to tell me the baby was a foundling who turned up on the winery's doorstep right before the transfer of deed, and try to foist it off on me by Law of Surprise. I was looking forward to a suuuuuuuper awkward no thanks from Geralt.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Ok. Which quests fail or fail to appear if you've done the wrong thing first. Better?

Edit - might as well repost, see if anyone can help:
Tried to install a bunch of mods, this is what I got when I tried to fire up the game:

Script merger doesn't do anything, so how do I figure out which script it is?

Edit:

Huh. Didn't notice that. Did you figure out the problem, by chance?

Edit - removed "Jump in shallow water" and "instant death screen", recreated the merged scripts folder. Fixed.

i deleted my "mods" folder

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I recently switched my gtx 770 to a gtx 970 and just went back into Witcher 3 with the new gpu... hot diggity drat.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
can someone who has both read the books and played b&w tell me why geralt deserted the lyrian army after being knighted? this guy is real upset and geralts explanation felt like an inside joke

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Verviticus posted:

can someone who has both read the books and played b&w tell me why geralt deserted the lyrian army after being knighted? this guy is real upset and geralts explanation felt like an inside joke
It was in the middle of his last search for Ciri, so he couldn't hang around.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Yup. Geralt & co are after Ciri when they need to cross a bridge, and said bridge is being fought over by Queen Meve and Nilfgaardian battalion. So Geralt and Cahir join the skirmish, Meve knights Geralt as a thank you. Obviously Geralt doesn't really want to stick around, so he ditches her after a few nights (not sure, been a while since I read that one.)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You're also told all this if you join the tournament.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xander how much time are you spending in this game that you've gone from Velen to Toussaint in like a week? Took me a month to do the base game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished White Orchard last night...at least I think I did. Visited all of the question marks on the map and resolved every sidequest. Good starting area, easy to wrap your head around. I am now getting lectured by Charles Dance and why do I get the feeling we won't be friends.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Deified Data posted:

Finished White Orchard last night...at least I think I did. Visited all of the question marks on the map and resolved every sidequest. Good starting area, easy to wrap your head around. I am now getting lectured by Charles Dance and why do I get the feeling we won't be friends.

Look at Ciri's portrait on the wall. That's what you should feel when talking to Charles Dance.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arglebargle III posted:

No. But I'm in my second playthrough (over a year after the first okay? :colbert: ) and I'm still finding places I'd never been.

There are naturally some quest outcomes you may want to explore but nothing like the forked plot of witcher 2.

Yeah, I ran into two merchants in the middle of nowhere that are now at Crow's Perch this time through. I am almost positive that I never ran into them the first playthrough. Is there a list of all known ! quests?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Deified Data posted:

I hope you remembered to visit the herbalist because... oh well.

I loved White Orchard not just for introducing the sandbox gameplay in miniature, but for showing more nuance with gay and lesbian characters. The story of the Lord's son is miles more mature than Witcher 2's "Lesbomancy" and learning Dethmold was a creepy homo in the same scene he gets castrated in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yet another thing I missed apparently.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Xander how much time are you spending in this game that you've gone from Velen to Toussaint in like a week? Took me a month to do the base game.
I have a bad habit of leaving the game on in the background while I do other stuff (like.. sleep). Great alt-tabbing btw. Not something to be remarked upon, generally, but some games get badly broken when you alt-tab too much.

Anyways, I have 254 hours recorded. Let's be generous and say that's 180-200 hours of actual gameplay.

My thesis paper is quietly crying in the corner.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You first posted about your new playthrough on June 25th. 2 weeks ago. 200 hours in 2 weeks? :stare:

There are only 336 hours in 2 weeks.

Please tell me I've got something wrong and you're not really putting in 12-14 hour Witcher-days.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 9, 2016

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So new game plus has a thing where the level required to craft a sword on the icon is a little out of step with the actual requirement in red down the bottom right.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hope you remembered to visit the herbalist because... oh well.

I loved White Orchard not just for introducing the sandbox gameplay in miniature, but for showing more nuance with gay and lesbian characters. The story of the Lord's son is miles more mature than Witcher 2's "Lesbomancy" and learning Dethmold was a creepy homo in the same scene he gets castrated in.

I visited her to get the herb for the griffon fight, gave her patient some Swallow, and revisited her to talk about the woman who became the Noonwraith. Is there anything else? If so and it's too late to go back and find out feel free to spoil it for me.

And yeah, the quest with the hunter was good, I had a feeling what that would be what he was referring to. Having Geralt tell him he's a freak too was a nice scene, especially since I generally play Geralt as a jerk with an occasional heart of gold.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

You first posted about your new playthrough on June 25th. 2 weeks ago. 200 hours in 2 weeks? :stare:

There are only 336 hours in 2 weeks.

Please tell me I've got something wrong and you're not really putting in 12-14 hour Witcher-days.

Don't game shame my dude. Xander77's buggy, glitched-out playthrough is to be treasured.

Playing on PS4, I had a situation a couple days ago where Geralt's bald head fast-traveled before his hair and body followed and had an "It begins :stare:" moment. Nothing else since, though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Deified Data posted:

I visited her to get the herb for the griffon fight, gave her patient some Swallow, and revisited her to talk about the woman who became the Noonwraith. Is there anything else? If so and it's too late to go back and find out feel free to spoil it for me.

If you do the quest then you can witness a scene in the Nilfgaardian camp.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Can you go back after leaving for Vizima? I never saw it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Deified Data posted:

Can you go back after leaving for Vizima? I never saw it.

Giving the woman a Swallow potion and finding the man's missing brother are events that get cancelled when you head for Vizima.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12iA3b0v5it7_H7KFAh4cKurtug9SRzWMLxSluhFhEp4/edit?pli=1#gid=0

I use the following checklist for reference. It doesn't mention unmarked novelty stuff, but it does list all 280? marked quests in the base game. It's also possible to miss out on one or two places-of-power. The collect-em-all quest only cancels if you miss any of the 10 gwent cards you can win in tournaments.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Xander77 posted:

I have a bad habit of leaving the game on in the background while I do other stuff (like.. sleep). Great alt-tabbing btw. Not something to be remarked upon, generally, but some games get badly broken when you alt-tab too much.

Anyways, I have 254 hours recorded. Let's be generous and say that's 180-200 hours of actual gameplay.

My thesis paper is quietly crying in the corner.

Holy poo poo

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
If I took a screenshot of every graphical glitch I wouldn't get around to much playing. Stuff clips in cutscenes all the time or a character picks up an item that remains stationary. Also I had two yennifers sitting in my boat on Skellige. Come to think of it, almost every game I've ever played has some instances of clipping or pop-in. Neglecting one's thesis paper to document them in one game is pretty wild.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

I love the trolls in this game so very much :unsmith:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

What scene? The one you get when the Nilfgaardian commander orders the ealdorman flogged? Or is it a scene in the huge Nilf camp SW of Velen?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Deified Data posted:

I am now getting lectured by Charles Dance and why do I get the feeling we won't be friends.
The game gave a slight book spoiler that the last time Geralt met, Emhyr tried to kill him. The details are what make it all interesting and notable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

necrobobsledder posted:

The game gave a slight book spoiler that the last time Geralt met, Emhyr tried to kill him. The details are what make it all interesting and notable.

Yeah I only read far enough in the books to know where Ciri and Yennefer came from, I really should pick them back up. They were better than I expected as I usually hate books translated from other languages.