Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

bizwank posted:

Lol seriously. "I leave my french press to sit for days and then it's gross and harder to clean. Also I'm clumsy. This design is flawed!"

Anyway the Espro Press already solved this "problem" (with what looks like an easier cleanup), and there's no paper filters to buy. Another winner from Kicksharter

Eh it's a cool design, but to be fair I didn't watch the videos. I don't need it but I like the idea but on the other hand I have two French presses, three pour overs, and a couple percolators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

MasterControl posted:

Anyone interested in my Huky 500 roaster? I got it for sale on eBay but Id rather it go to someone on the forums. It's been heavily used as it was the goon coffee workhorse so that runs pretty steadily. Some issues I can go over - like the screw on the faceplate needing pushing in every roast. Works fine - I've since upgraded to a larger roaster. Kuahno is asking for 1700 for them now but I'll go lower because that's the way of things with roasters of this size.(whereas bigger ones don't lose much value).

Tell me more (either here or in PM)

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TheJeffers posted:

Tell me more (either here or in PM)

Sure thing, what would you like to know?

It's, in my opinion, better than a hot top but not as good as a production Roaster. It's more a sample roaster that can run like a production. I've roasted all day on it and turns out fine.

Personally I feel it's best for the person who dreams of getting into roasting but doesn't want to drop the huge change (3-10grand) on a big one. I've run 500 gram loads on it just fine but 420-470 was my sweet spot for 11 minute roasts. 4.4 pounds an hour or so. There's venting and fans which put it ahead of the hottop and also not electric so you can control the heat well via propane.

The issues that bothered me were always touching a hot pipe (keep an ove glove around or a big cloth). He changed his design post mine to side step this issue some. The screw that keeps my drum locked in wedged out some so you have to knock it back in. It doesn't turn back though so the drum doesn't come out it just moves. Maybe you can fix it. It's Annoying to be sure, hence why I'm not really trying to get full price.

Comes with a thermocouple so you can data log if you like. The stove is by dial so you have to turn it to light it. Basically a powerful campfire stove. I have two cooling trays/fans with piping enough (3-4 feet)for both to vent outside a window.

You can buy a new one from the guy currently. No quote directly but I saw someone post 1700 for it. Crop to cup sells it for 2300.

https://www.croptocup.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=298&Itemid=558

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking of roasters, I finally figured out what we're using here, it's a Sonofresco Model 2200, looks like they go for about $3600 new.

MasterControl or anyone else, any insight/experience with them?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Goons: What is the best popcorn popper for roasting? I used to use a West Bend Poppery 1 years ago but those aren't sold anymore. Is the 2 good?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Uh, did anyone else get added to that Kickstarter's mailling list just by viewing their page/video? That's some poo poo right there

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

bizwank posted:

Uh, did anyone else get added to that Kickstarter's mailling list just by viewing their page/video? That's some poo poo right there
I haven't received anything and I was logged in when I watched it.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Speaking of roasters, I finally figured out what we're using here, it's a Sonofresco Model 2200, looks like they go for about $3600 new.

MasterControl or anyone else, any insight/experience with them?

I prefer drum roasters and would never consider a sonofresco. Coffee shrub is a retailer for them now so I guess there is some viability. They kind of spell it out
"ghis Sonofresco Profile roasts 2lb batches and connects to your computer for precise control. Has your coffee roasting hobby turned into something that resembles a small scale roastery? If you are looking for a machine that fills the gap between your small-batch home roaster and a commercial roaster. "

Personally the only scenario I would have one is if I lived on a boardwalk, put it in the window, and sold flavored/"local" coffee with it. I just can't see how anyone would want to build a wholesale business on the back of that, but if you're not trying to develop 1,000 pound weekly wholesale like I am, then I'm sure it's fine. You're only as strong as your weakest link and no matter how strong that glass it, it breaks. Javamasters are/were used by whole foods and were notorious for breaking hence why they don't use them much. Though the glass feature is not my only dislike of it. Anyways there's a large market for commercial roasters in the 4k range now. The mill city, one I use, being the perfect example. Hopefully I didn't just dump on your business too much? In fairness there's some critisim you could levvy on my roaster too. I guess it comes down to what business you have, how much you have to spend, and where you want to go in 6 months or 3 years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah, no diss no foul. The actual "commercial" roasting (e.g. what we sell in 2.2 lb bags on the site and in the stores) is done in a more industrial setup, this is just the "in office" one.

The sonofresco is more so we have something in the showroom that can roast. Generally it gets used for custom orders for the office coffee supply clients, specifically decafs and green bean runs. I've never seen them run more than 4 roasts a day through it. I've also noticed that walk-ins love looking at the thing while it's running, and the smell is real nice as well.

I haven't had to roast on it, but what would be my criticism is that it's not super good at getting rid of the hulls and detritus. They don't end up in the beans, it's good that way, it just seems like they end up.... everywhere else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been using the LIDO 2 hand grinder for a few days now and I love it. It's a great grinder and easy to use, perfect for pour over or press. My small Porlex is dogshit in comparison.

I'd say it's comparable to the ~$300 Baratza grinders but much quieter and easier to clean.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Can you compare it to the Hario hand grinders? How long does it take to grinds enough for a cup of pour over?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Porlex and hario mini mill grinders are identical in my experience (i own both). The LIDO takes around 20 seconds to grind for a pour over and it's very easy. The handle is super solid and a pleasure to use. Most importantly the grounds are even as gently caress.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I had to rearrange my morning routine because my Hario would take about as long to grind as my kettle would to boil but my Lido is so much faster that I have to find something else to do while my water boils.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Thanks guys. Think it's a worthy upgrade over my Baratza Maestro/Hario Slim? Sounds like it's much more consistent, but I'm not sure it's worth it for pour over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah if you have a Baratza I wouldn't bother. I only bought the LIDO because I'm dumb and like manual stuff.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
I can't figure out who this is for. The kind of coffee snob that does pour-overs, isn't going to want to leave their ground beans out overnight: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/393281213/the-barisieur-designer-coffee-and-tea-alarm-clock

Edit: typo

foxxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 23, 2016

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Boiling water within arms-reach of a sleeping/groggy person. What could go wrong?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

That looks like a pretty pointless machine, but it did make me weirdly nostalgic for the days I had a cheap drip machine in my dorm room, that I would always set to start brewing just before my alarm was supposed to go off.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We did a thing for this big auto dealership grand opening where we supplied some machines and barista staff and coffee to people attending, just last night. We brought out a Rocket R58 Dual Boiler, an ECM Elektronika II Profii, and were using a Jura X9 for backup/emergency coffee if the semi-automatics got too busy. I've been on the fence with the Rocket, since they just seem like a (good) high end machine, but they feel pricey and are more trading on their style rather than their utility. But the R58 was a monster, and was in action the whole night without a single hiccup or interruption. What impressed me most is that our people were essentially serving as fast as they possibly could, and the double boilers never had a problem staying hot. Even our imported "latte art" person who works on a pro La Marzocco 4 group in their day job was impressed with the thing. I was always in favor of ECM or Quick Mill machines before but I got to admit the Rocket impressed me last night and I think I'm going to start recommending them more. So if you guys have a couple grand burning holes in your pockets maybe check them out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

We did a thing for this big auto dealership grand opening where we supplied some machines and barista staff and coffee to people attending, just last night. We brought out a Rocket R58 Dual Boiler, an ECM Elektronika II Profii, and were using a Jura X9 for backup/emergency coffee if the semi-automatics got too busy. I've been on the fence with the Rocket, since they just seem like a (good) high end machine, but they feel pricey and are more trading on their style rather than their utility. But the R58 was a monster, and was in action the whole night without a single hiccup or interruption. What impressed me most is that our people were essentially serving as fast as they possibly could, and the double boilers never had a problem staying hot. Even our imported "latte art" person who works on a pro La Marzocco 4 group in their day job was impressed with the thing. I was always in favor of ECM or Quick Mill machines before but I got to admit the Rocket impressed me last night and I think I'm going to start recommending them more. So if you guys have a couple grand burning holes in your pockets maybe check them out.

The Seattle Coffee Gear people on Youtube definitely seem to like the Rocket. They use it for a lot of demo related stuff. Basically all of their grinder reviews are pulling shots on a Rocket.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, don't get me wrong I never thought the Rocket sucked or anything (the internals are pretty industry standard) but I always thought they were a bit overpriced compared to the comparable QuickMILL, ECM, or even Vibiemme. But I've come to appreciate some of the design, all the controls are super smooth, and the big ol steam knob that I thought was gaudy and unnecessary was actually a pleasure to use. There's a real satisfaction to feeling those parts clunk and plonk into place authoritatively that might be worth the extra $250-$500 they command on the others.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
For cold brew, am I fine just to use a French press? Seems like there are suddenly dozens of cold brew contraptions available now.

What is a good ratio for making cold brew, and what sort of grind should I be using in a French press vs a dedicated cold brew device?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Demon_Corsair posted:

For cold brew, am I fine just to use a French press? Seems like there are suddenly dozens of cold brew contraptions available now.

What is a good ratio for making cold brew, and what sort of grind should I be using in a French press vs a dedicated cold brew device?

You can, but you'll probably get sediment if you don't filter it.

Personally, I do 105g coffee coarsely ground (my grinder has a "Percolator" setting I use) to 750ml water, as this more or less fills up my french press. Leave it for 24 hours, and then I pour it through a knock-off V60 to take out the sediment.

I also use a small mesh hops-bag from a homebrew kit to put the coffee grounds in, so I can easily pull them out and hang them to drip over the carafe instead of leaving precious coffee concentrate in the grounds in the bottom, but that's hardly necessary. It also makes cleanup slightly easier.

Some people do a much higher ratio for a shorter time, (1:4, 8-12 hours) but I expect they'd need to grind finer for that too, which is just gonna leave you with a murky cup if you're doing it in a press.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't do cold brew

Unless you like doo-doo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I like cold brew, yes I do
If you don't like it, that's okay, too

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cold brew is like the Defense of Marriage Act and we'll have to shamefully explain ourselves to our grandkids some day.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
much like your posting

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Bodum sell a French press that is specifically designed for cold brew. It comes with a second lid that doesn't have the filter and plunger assembly so you don't have that sticking up in your fridge all day. Almost any other French press is fine, though.

We recently upgraded to the Hario Mizudashi or whatever it's called for cold brew. Also excellent.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I went from a French press, to the hario thing, and then to an empty soda bottle.

100g or so of coffee grinds per 1l. fill with water, chuck in fridge.

Then 12 hours later put a kitchen towel in a funnel and filter the now sludge through it into another bottle.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Welp, just ruined my second hario scale by spilling coffee all over it somehow. Should I be putting it in a plastic bag or something? These things are not cheap.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Just buy a non-coffee-specific kitchen scale. Any scale that deals with liquids but can't handle being spilled on... Why???

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

thebehaviorist posted:

Welp, just ruined my second hario scale by spilling coffee all over it somehow. Should I be putting it in a plastic bag or something? These things are not cheap.

I treat my $13 American Weigh scale like garbage and it's been trucking along for years.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

thebehaviorist posted:

Descale it?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mu Zeta posted:

I treat my $13 American Weigh scale like garbage and it's been trucking along for years.

same, it's a beast.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I've never made myself a coffee. Assuming I bought roasted beans what would I need in order to make myself a Mocha?

The OP was a bit over my head, but I did read it. I've gathered that I would need a grinder (Baratza Maestro) and a brewer (Aeropress). Am I missing anything else?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mocha is chocolate with espresso and milk. So you're going to need an espresso machine like a Gaggia Classic and the Baratza grinder. Are you prepared to drop $650+ for some mocha?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Mocha is chocolate with espresso and milk. So you're going to need an espresso machine like a Gaggia Classic and the Baratza grinder. Are you prepared to drop $650+ for some mocha?

No I am not. Thanks.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

theHUNGERian posted:

No I am not. Thanks.

You could make something basically close enough with about $60 worth of gear. You'd need a Hario hand grinder and either a Moka pot (thicker coffee) or Aeropress (more convenient). It won't be as good as a real espresso, though.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

mulls posted:

You could make something basically close enough with about $60 worth of gear. You'd need a Hario hand grinder and either a Moka pot (thicker coffee) or Aeropress (more convenient). It won't be as good as a real espresso, though.

If it doesn't taste like the real thing, I will regret the purchase. At the same time, I have ~1 cups of coffee per month, so it would be foolish to buy the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I`m going to offer a dissenting opinion and expose myself as a philistine with an uneducated palate. The best mochas I`ve had were from a shop that uses coffee from the drip pot and (good) chocolate milk from a local dairy. I think the quality of the chocolate is as important as the coffee once you get into sweet and milky.

Might take a bit of experimenting but you could find a recipe you like as much as or better than a commercial mocha using the gear mulls described.