Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So there's an interesting glitch I ran into. For whatever reason sometimes food will not actually ever. . .well, wear off. Their effects at least. As an example: I'm in a survival game. These are my current effects.

My current SPECIAL.

My carry weight. :stare:

And my *Real* Strength score.

This is. . .kind of annoying as hell? I'm playing survival because I'm a frigging sperglord, not because I want to cheat and make the game easier. (Well, honestly it's more the 'guns are more deadly to both NPCs and you') Anybody else had this issue? Anybody else found a way to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So it turns out the easiest way to get through the first part of Airship Down was to throw one smoke grenade, wait until the ruckus cleared out the area directly in front of the door, and just kind of run in without bothering to fight the other 5,000 dudes outside. Institute ending achieved :toot:

Now to load an earlier save and random-murder my way to a Brotherhood ending.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

So it turns out the easiest way to get through the first part of Airship Down was to throw one smoke grenade, wait until the ruckus cleared out the area directly in front of the door, and just kind of run in without bothering to fight the other 5,000 dudes outside. Institute ending achieved :toot:

I cheesed that fight by assigning a bunch of murderbots to the airport settlement. When the Brotherhood goes hostile they stay, even though you lose the settlement, and they'll murder any Brotherhood soldiers and bring most of the guards down to that end of the base to get shot at by missile turrets and heavy lasers. :unsmigghh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

loquacius posted:

I'm doing a Brotherhood ending now, as i'm a dude right now and him being ex military means that he'd go "yea i'll serve with the guys that are a natural extension of it". I assume i can go a long the Railroad quests until i'm assigned to take down the brotherhood, then turn on the Railroad.

Going into the glowing see with the HUD mod on a helmet makes the whole thing way more eerie,, with green fallout everywhere and anything living this glowing red entities.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Okay, well I hit level 50, Institute ending with nothing to show for it, all of the DLC looks bad, Far Harbor is bullet sponge island, settlements are fun, etc, etc. Should I re-roll with survival mode? Is that any fun? I enjoyed being hardcore in New Vegas because it was an immersive, unique, and diverse world in which to starve to death. I'm not sure I'll enjoy doing that as much in Fallout 4.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I actually meant to type "Minutemen," typed "Brotherhood," realized my mistake, deleted it, and typed "Brotherhood" again :doh: Probably gonna use my third and final playthrough (melee/big guns/STR based) to play a Brotherhood power-armor grunt.

I'd been wondering how a Minutemen ending would justify taking down the Railroad and am relieved to see it doesn't appear to involve that at all :unsmith:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Speedrunning makes about as much sense to me as speedsexing and seems as though it's roughly the same demographic.

I'm not so sure about that

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

horse mans posted:

Okay, well I hit level 50, Institute ending with nothing to show for it, all of the DLC looks bad, Far Harbor is bullet sponge island, settlements are fun, etc, etc. Should I re-roll with survival mode? Is that any fun? I enjoyed being hardcore in New Vegas because it was an immersive, unique, and diverse world in which to starve to death. I'm not sure I'll enjoy doing that as much in Fallout 4.

I've been enjoying Survival a whole lot more than the normal difficulties. You're basically guaranteed to find a bunch of little things you missed on your first run due to not fast travelling everywhere. The world as a whole is less interesting than NV, but if there's one thing Bethesda does well, it's the little encounters you find scattered around. Settlements become a lot more useful since you can set up safe zones in dangerous territory to save and fill up on food and water. The survival meters are present enough to be an issue, but not debilitating enough to be annoying.

My biggest complaint is that the lack of regular saves makes crashes and glitch deaths particularly frustrating, but I'm still absolutely loving survival mode.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is anyone still playing a save game from the version 1.2/1.3 era, where you've added various DLC (Far Harbor, etc) and updated (but not changed) mods over time?

How's that working out for you? In Skyrim or FO3 it was pretty broken, but FO4 seems perhaps more stable?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

My biggest complaint is that the lack of regular saves makes crashes and glitch deaths particularly frustrating, but I'm still absolutely loving survival mode.
Mod in saving and console, makes it a million times more bearable.

Why the gently caress they disabled the console of all things I've no idea. What if you get stuck in terrain? What if your companion drops through the floor? What if a million things Bethesda, you know how buggy your loving games are!

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Going into the glowing see

He slowly peered through the broken glass and burnt wood of the once-regal balcone. Where once the faithful used to throng in anticipation of the Word, abominations now menaced the cobblestone.

In the pre-Vault era, Boniface had been a shepard of of the throng. The cracked skin around his lips furrowed cavernously at the new reality below - a world of beasts. He kissed the crucifix around his neck, blessed his sledgehammer and made his way to the plaza below.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Scaffolding makes for a pretty cool guard tower.

Sweet yes I've always wanted to do something close to this

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

loquacius posted:

I actually meant to type "Minutemen," typed "Brotherhood," realized my mistake, deleted it, and typed "Brotherhood" again :doh: Probably gonna use my third and final playthrough (melee/big guns/STR based) to play a Brotherhood power-armor grunt.

I'd been wondering how a Minutemen ending would justify taking down the Railroad and am relieved to see it doesn't appear to involve that at all :unsmith:

If you are going to do power armor and big guns then I feel obligated to tell you that a shredding minigun with no ammo (as in, remove the ammo from your inventory) will spin while you hold the trigger and is the best "melee" weapon in the game. It takes the damage bonus from Basher if you wanted to make it do more damage, but with zero ranks in Basher it's still powerful enough to shred through coursers or alpha deathclaws or whatever you like. An accelerated barrel makes it better, and you will stun lock any enemy indefinitely. Thrash and dive through groups to keep them all stunned and exploding into gore and viscera. The only issue with it is when you forget to switch weapons for a sentry bot and shred into that power core...

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Do any of you guys use Conquest, and if so, where do you like to build? I'm thinking of absorbing Concord and Fort Strong.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone know how to get supply lines in far harbor to work? assigning a hoverbot I built to go from longfellows cabin to dalton farm just has it flying back and forth between the two without actually letting me use my supplies in dalton farm.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've got the run from Starlight Drive In to Diamond City and back down to a science now that I'm trying to build a massive factory. I'm getting steel, rubber, glass, and wood shipments and still coming away with a profit just by making jet and grabbing the pre war money from the lexington bank on my way to DC.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Remember the kid in vault 81 buys jet for 75 apiece, which is bonkers.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

hup posted:

Remember the kid in vault 81 buys jet for 75 apiece, which is bonkers.

Well balanced by the fact that you have to sell them one at a time.

I think I sold 4 before I got bored and went on with the game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

When I am really low on money I find the secret is player.additem f 9999. When I can't count on my game lasting forever because of dlc or patches breaking mods which could ruin the save game or being unhappy with my character and wanting to start over or something I can't be hosed with playing properly. New Vegas on the over hand I never even open the console.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

horse mans posted:

I was fairly sure that I wouldn't come back to FO4 - I decidedly hated the changes made to SPECIAL, it felt like another Bethsoft game in that every PC ended up indistinct from any other, and their habit of "keep the same enemies but change their names and give them lots of health" drove me away even as I quite liked combat. But running with the Perk Tree mod (as close as we'll probably get to SPERG) and Survival makes the game a lot of fun. Even if the settlement building function is still almost entirely fluff, it adds an element sort of similar to Dying Light, where you're always hustling from one safe spot to another and building FOBs (and it makes the Local Leader perk invaluable rather than a simple convenience). The lack of fast travel plus the increased lethality of everything makes it seem, to a degree, like a huge and less drab STALKER. You really have to fight smart and sniper builds feel less broken and more godly. The only thing I'm worried about is that at some point I'll inevitably hit Bethsoft's persistent Achilles heel, which is the constant barrage of bullet sponge parties.

I'm at about level 21 and haven't encountered any yet (the level scaling has turned all the mole rats to glowing mole rats and raiders into Murderers and Freaks, and I just encountered and beat my first non-scripted deathclaw, but most enemies are still standard) but they would mean the end of the game for me, as my ability to withstand punishment is still more or less where it was at the outset of the game. Bullet sponge enemies would practically ruin it. They ruined my first FO4 game, but more because I was bored with them and not because they were hard.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
For me survival eventually turns into "normal minus fast travel" Enemies die easily and I'm near immortal.

That it takes longer for items and enemies to respawn is supposed to make it harder but what it meant for me was that a route travelled once. Will now be safe for the rest of the game. Since the random encounters are delayed as well.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I wish Luck did something for non-VATS players such as myself. :(

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zephyrine posted:

For me survival eventually turns into "normal minus fast travel" Enemies die easily and I'm near immortal.

That it takes longer for items and enemies to respawn is supposed to make it harder but what it meant for me was that a route travelled once. Will now be safe for the rest of the game. Since the random encounters are delayed as well.

Yeah kind of agreed on this. At the start of the game the need for sleep, food, water, etc. and the no fast travel or saving make the game much more exciting and challenging but by the end you are either invincible in decked out X-01 or invisible from stealth, or both, and you have a gigantic stockpile of food and water.

It might be that one of the "reduced loot" mods would make the fun times last longer. My biggest reservation about those mods is that some types of ammo (5.56, plasma, gamma, .44, and flamer fuel especially) are already impractically rare, so with overall reduced loot those might just become extinct.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Basic Chunnel posted:

But running with the Perk Tree mod

What mod is this?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What mod is this?

Pretty sure he means this one. Made by a goon who posts in the modding thread.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So it looks like this coming Tuesday is the Fallout Shelter update and PC port, which means that Vault-Tec DLC is the Tuesday following at earliest (but more likely on the 26th).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Just finished up my massive factory building. I still need to lay some more conveyors for the factory setup, but the essential pieces and the building itself are already laid down. When it's done you'll be able to put all your base components into a cabinet on the first floor which is right next to the control terminal and the factory will produce items at 3 different fabricators which will all eject into a series of hoppers to a storage container on the first floor.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I've been enjoying Survival a whole lot more than the normal difficulties. You're basically guaranteed to find a bunch of little things you missed on your first run due to not fast travelling everywhere. The world as a whole is less interesting than NV, but if there's one thing Bethesda does well, it's the little encounters you find scattered around. Settlements become a lot more useful since you can set up safe zones in dangerous territory to save and fill up on food and water. The survival meters are present enough to be an issue, but not debilitating enough to be annoying.

I was enjoying survival but i crashed like 3 times clearing lexington and that was enough for me. It's a shame because I really enjoyed how intense all the fights become.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I've found an odd hatch, near Abernathy Farm.

It has two options: "detonate" :aaa: which just opens it as need in the screenshot, and "close", which does just that.

View towards Concord

That high-tension tower is Abernathy.

And that is where it is on the map. Gorski Cabin is just south, and I'd think it would have something to do with that bit of fluff, but I've not found anything online.

Anyone know what it is? Maybe a placeholder for upcoming DLC locations? (I also haven't completed mainquest, so it may be related to that/other late-game quests, as well.)

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I found a benefit of the obnoxious pathing for your NPC buddy. I got stuck auto-walking into the front of my power armour (in survival mode, after doing a bunch of dull inventory organization and not saving, natch), and after doing a million laps of random meandering, Eva with her enormous tripod legs shoved me out of it. I think that's the only time i haven't outright cursed the stupid, inconsiderate nature of NPC movement, and it was because of an even worse bug. I just kept watching something else on a second screen while i waited about 15 minutes for her to happen to bump into me. The fact this game is so flawed but i keep playing it says something good for it, but also something really bad too.

edit: eva? ada. whatever.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 10, 2016

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Ygolonac posted:

I've found an odd hatch, near Abernathy Farm.

(picture)

It has two options: "detonate" :aaa: which just opens it as need in the screenshot, and "close", which does just that.

(picture)

View towards Concord

(picture)

That high-tension tower is Abernathy.

(picture)

And that is where it is on the map. Gorski Cabin is just south, and I'd think it would have something to do with that bit of fluff, but I've not found anything online.

Anyone know what it is? Maybe a placeholder for upcoming DLC locations? (I also haven't completed mainquest, so it may be related to that/other late-game quests, as well.)

It's a random encounter, I've found the same thing. There's supposed to be a guy/scavenger telling you to get away from his claim, but he dies a lot apparently.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Are Vertibirds just prone to crashing (the fallout4.exe process, not in game) or am I hitting a bug in Talkie Toaster's impervious Vertibirds mod? This game is the first time I wasn't hostile to BoS and also the first time I used that mod, so I'm not sure if it's a vanilla issue or not. Basically I'm getting a crash while boarding or flying in a Vertibird maybe one in seven times.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Mosnar posted:

It's a random encounter, I've found the same thing. There's supposed to be a guy/scavenger telling you to get away from his claim, but he dies a lot apparently.

Awww. :( I already found a different random encounter a little earlier, good ol' Mac the bartender.

Uh, dude, you OK there?

Welp, that's one way to avoid getting shanked by Rust Devils and poo poo.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally finished up my big settlement build. I call it Starlight City. It's got 2 settler buildings, a massive factory, a mansion for myself, a marketplace with a caravan stop, multiple security checkpoints made from scaffolding, and a greenhouse with Brahmin pen. So glad to be done(ish) with this project. The factory is probably staying unpowered until I can make fusion generators though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6B3BayuDTs

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Smol posted:

With all of the known synchronization problems it's pretty funny that a lot of guides around suggest turning on all sorts of multithreading "optimizations". I think the guys at Bethesda don't enable them for a reason.

I'm good with computers! Let me tell you about unparking your cores, disabling UAC, and turning off DEP to speed up your computer!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap the skybox at Abernathy Farm is tall. You can build all the way up to the top of the power pylons, which is like 16 floors of Warehouse building.

So, elevators: It seems like they're made to line up with buildings made with the Warehouse tile, which for Beth knows why is slightly different than the normal Wood / Steel heights. But it seems like you have to build the elevator first and snap everyhting to it, if you try to build an elevator later or move one, it's nigh impossible to get it to snap to already-constructed Warehouse buildings. God dammit why does this stuff have to suck so much?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The warehouse walls were made taller to accommodate factory equipment, yet are not tall enough to hold the actual fabricators.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Mosnar posted:

Second reply to the same post, yay! Seems the way to "detonate" the hatch is let the scavenger try to open it, if present, or open it yourself. Either way, you get a mini-nuke explosion. :black101: This opens up a collapsed shelter/bunker, with minor loot. If the scav goes in, he goes hostile when you enter. Oh, and if there's no scavenger and it doesn't explode when you open it? Shoot if for the big boom, and no bunker no loot no nothin'.

Differently odd - I just had one of my provisoners go Synth on me. Got a call to defend Sanctuary, and there's "Settler" blasting away with a decent Institute pistol, before getting murdered by the turrets/goon squad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Entropic posted:

Holy crap the skybox at Abernathy Farm is tall. You can build all the way up to the top of the power pylons, which is like 16 floors of Warehouse building.

So, elevators: It seems like they're made to line up with buildings made with the Warehouse tile, which for Beth knows why is slightly different than the normal Wood / Steel heights. But it seems like you have to build the elevator first and snap everyhting to it, if you try to build an elevator later or move one, it's nigh impossible to get it to snap to already-constructed Warehouse buildings. God dammit why does this stuff have to suck so much?
I made it work with the small wood stairs and iirc the SCR (SLR?) mod that adds objects that can clip into others to a limited extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

My settlers won't let themselves be assigned to things anymore? I try to make them move but no dice. I've turned off the unofficial patch and don't call me settler, but nothin

• Locked thread